it's complicated

complexity.

 

Hayoung didn’t want her butler to notice her injury plus, it’s a pain to answer all the questions. She was set on going straight to her room and locking the door shut. But her footsteps came to a halt as she smelled a flavorsome aroma in the kitchen. Curious, the girl peeked in and wondered what her butler was doing.

 

Her butler, Sojin rarely cooks. She knew how picky the girl was and gave up on trying to lure her into eating her foods. But it wasn’t Sojin in the kitchen. Looking at an unfamiliar back, Hayoung halted her steps.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“Oh, you’re home.” Chorong turned around and greeted her with a bow.

 

“I’m Chorong. I will be your temporary butler for a week since Sojin had to return home for personal family matters. Your mother hired me so if you have any doubts, ask her.” The lady was observant and noticed that Hayoung was trying to hide a plaster on her forehead with her bangs.

 

“Oh my, did something happen?”

 

“No…it’s fine…” Startled, the child took another step back upon noticing Chorong approaching her. She quickly turned around. “I’m going to my room.”

 

As quick as the wind, Hayoung’s escape was successful.

 

Chorong arrived at the grand Jung Residence in the evening but came to an empty house. She hoped that Hayoung’s presence would lighten the lonely atmosphere but it took a different turn. Left alone in the spacious, three-floor penthouse that had a rooftop pool and library, indeed it was the power of being rich. The lady could just dream about living in a house like that.

 

“Hayoung-ssi, are you not coming down for dinner?” asked Chorong as she knocked on her bedroom door.

 

“I’ll eat it later. I’m not hungry.”

 

“But the food will get cold.”

 

“Doesn’t matter.”

 

Chorong headed back downstairs. After all, it would be a waste of effort to force the girl out of her room. Continuing other chores that Eunji sent through text, it was a list of things that Sojin would do on a routine-basis; cleaning, watering the plants, laundry etc. She didn’t mind. It was a break away from her everyday job as a chauffeur.

 

Her phone buzzed. It was a message from her daughter, with a picture attached.

 

“Mom, remember that annoying kid of J&J, Hayoung that I told you about and how she keeps picking fights with me? Guess what? She came over to our place and gave me medicines! Wow, at first I thought she was blackmailing me or something but turns out, she’s actually pretty sweet inside. Maybe she’s not that of a nuisance after all. But how did she get our address though? P.S I miss you. It being sick and you’re not around :(”

 

Chorong smiled sadly at the last sentence.

 

She felt sorry for leaving her sick daughter behind but work is work. She felt worse remembering that she lied to Namjoo about going on a company trip for one week. There was no way she could tell her daughter that she was working as a temporary butler at the Jung Residence. She could already imagine Namjoo freaking out.

 

But Hayoung’s plaster on her forehead all made sense now. No one would dare to hit the daughter of J&J other than Namjoo. Chorong chuckled, finding it amazing at how straight-forward her daughter was.

 

“What are you laughing at?”

 

The butler turned around. It was Hayoung, now dressed in her green “Shin-Chan” themed pajamas and feet tucked comfortably in pink bunny slippers. Wearing round glasses and her hair tied into a ponytail, she looked like any other teenager. Her cold appearance from before had disappeared.  

 

“Oh, I was looking at my texts.”

 

“I see.” Hayoung walked to the dining table and sat down. Without a word, she picked up her chopsticks and took one bite from the pot of spicy rice cakes. She chewed quietly, taking time to savour the flavour. Her eyes widened in surprise and quickly went to shove another rice cake into .

 

For the first time, J&J’s picky daughter, Hayoung sat down and ate her food.

 

Surprised, Chorong sneakily took a 30-second video of Hayoung eating from afar She sent it to Eunji with a message, “Your daughter is eating well ^^” and sat down. From the eyes of a mother, she felt happy to see Hayoung chowing down every single piece.

 

“Is it delicious?” The butler asked.

 

“Y-Yeah…” Hayoung mumbled shyly. She didn’t want to admit but that was one of the most delicious spicy rice cakes she has ever eaten. “Did you buy this from outside?” The girl questioned suspiciously.

 

“No, why would I?” Chorong laughed. “I cooked this with my own personal recipe and my daughter loves it.”

 

“So you have a daughter…”

 

“Yes- “

 

“That means you’re old.”

 

“…That is…true but you don’t have to say it that way, Hayoung-ssi.” The butler was taken aback by her words. If she was her mother, she would’ve scolded her already. But Chorong held back because Hayoung is the daughter of J&J.

 

“But you look young.” Hayoung continued. Strangely, she felt comfortable around her new butler. She would back away from strangers and refuse to make a conversation. But today, was different.

 

“Thank you. I hope that you would continue to eat my cooking for the rest of the week. Your mother told me that you’re very picky so I was worried whether you would like it.”

 

“Well, it’s better than my mom’s cooking.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

As Chorong got to know a little more about Hayoung, she was able to confirm the fact that she is indeed a sweet girl. But she wondered about the wounds inside her heart. The girl avoided her mother like she was a plague. The lady believed that a child needed to receive love in order to feel belonged. She wanted to do her best and mend the wound between Hayoung and Eunji.

 

“You’ve got sauce on your lips.” Chorong said as she took a tissue and carefully wiped it for her. Looking at Hayoung’s reaction, the lady knew that she wasn’t used to being taken care of. Even though the daughter of J&J was pampered and had all the things in the world, there was one thing that she did not have.

 

The love of a mother.

 

“I-I can do this myself…” Hayoung took the tissue. Her face was slowly blushing in a pink tint. It was a strange feeling. “I-I’ve finished my food so I’m going back to my room now.” The girl stuttered as she got up and escaped to her room.

 

“Of course she would not clean up after herself.” Chorong shook her head as she cleared the table.  Deeply in her heart, she wanted to teach Hayoung basic table manners. If the girl became her daughter for one day, the lady was sure to knock some sense into her head.

 

Left alone again, the butler took the time to explore more of the huge Jung Residence. Going through the library on the second floor, there were numerous shelves housing books from all over the world. Chorong browsed through the CEO’s collection and picked up a book of her interest. Naturally, the butler sat down in the sitting area and began reading away.

 

Trapped in the world of books, time passed on like that.

 

“So you read books too?”

 

“You startled me!” Chorong flinched as she turned around to see Eunji standing by the door. “S-Sorry, this book is interesting.” She put the book back and dusted her hands.

 

“It’s okay. Home is a place to relax.”

 

“I see.”

 

“I saw the video you sent.”

 

“Thought you might want it.”

 

“It’s rare to see her actually eating home-cooked food. She looks happy too. Thank you for that.” The CEO smiled, with a thankful heart.

 

“Well, your daughter said that she prefers my cooking over yours.”

 

“Hah, that brat.” Eunji laughed.

 

Silence followed after as the two found themselves gazing at each other.

 

“A-anyways, I should head back and do some cleaning. There’s still dishes to wash- “  Chorong mumbled as she didn’t know what to do.

 

“Would you like to have a drink?”

 

Chorong stopped her steps and look at her boss. Although she would’ve said no in that position but strangely, she agreed to it. “Sure.”

 

The two sat down at the living room, clinking their glass of red wine together as they enjoyed the panoramic view of Seoul from the window. At 1am, it was the perfect time to get a little tipsy and relax after a long day at work.

 

“I sit here alone and just think about stuff. It’s sort of my daily routine before I get ready for bed.” Eunji said as she took a sip. “I would sometimes play music and drink. But I’m glad that I have a partner to accompany me today.”

 

“Doesn’t that make you lonely?”

 

“…It does.”

 

Silence followed after as the two ran out of topics to talk about.

 

“Madam, have you ever thought of falling in love again?”

 

Eunji’s eyes widened at Chorong’s question. It was sudden but something to think about. As the two were single mothers, it was difficult to answer. Although the memory of their loved ones remained close to their heart, there will be a time where they have to move on eventually.

 

“What about you, Chorong-ssi?” Eunji wanted to hear her answer first.

 

“I don’t know.” The lady stared at her wine glass. “I feel like I would be betraying him if I began to love someone else. But then again, it’s our life. We can’t do anything about how our feelings go.”

 

“That’s true.” Eunji nodded as she let out a sigh. “I’ve had suitors knocking on my door, but rejected all of them. I knew it wasn’t true love, but love made for the sake of business. Plus, it’s not like my daughter would accept anyone as her stepfather. She doesn’t even see me as her own mother.”

 

“Madam...you shouldn’t think that way.” Chorong frowned, hearing her words. “Hayoung is a nice kid. I know that the relationship between the two of you is still sour but each side needs to make an effort to fix the cracks. Deeply in Hayoung’s heart, she wants to be loved.”

 

“Loved…” It was a simple word but it made Eunji’s heart heavy.

 

“I’ve seen it with my very own eyes. Even though she doesn’t show it, but Hayoung yearns to be loved. Love doesn’t mean pampering her with money and buying her all of her favourite things. Love needs human touch.”

 

“…You’re right…Chorong-ssi.”

 

“Can’t you arrange time to be with her? Do you always have to be in the office, 24/7?”

 

Eunji sighed. “It’s…a difficult decision.”

 

“There’s always other ways Madam. Don’t rush and approach her the way you’ve always had. Don’t try to add a persona to fit the ideas of what a perfect mom should be. Be yourself.”

 

Meeting people from all walks of life, this was one of the most eye-opening conversations that Eunji has had. She never had the chance to speak to nor understand from the viewpoint of a single mother. But ever since she met Chorong, she began to look at things differently.

 

The CEO was blinded by advices of corporates who raised their children through the powers of money. She had forgotten the original values of a real family.

 

“S-Sorry madam, I feel like I’m scolding you.” Chorong apologized, realizing that she let her heart speak again.

 

“No, not at all.” Eunji looked at her with a smile. “Thank you. I’ve never met someone just like me so it’s nice to hear your thoughts.”

 

But for some reason, Bomi popped in her head. It’s funny. She never bothered to listen to her best friend’s advice since the beginning but here she is, taking the words of a stranger.

 

“Why are you laughing…?” Chorong looked at her with furrowed eyebrows.

 

“No, I’m just reminded that someone told me something similar but I never listened. I guess what goes around, comes around huh? Now, Hayoung doesn’t even listen to me.”

 

The pair continued to chat through the night, sharing a bottle of red wine. Rather than a boss and employee relationship, it felt mutual. Chorong shared a picture of her daughter, Namjoo and talked how she is attending the same school as Hayoung. The two would laugh, hearing stories of the two bickering around in school.

 

The lady also talked about her struggles as a single mother to which Eunji listened intently. Her respect for Chorong grew even bigger as she admired the lady’s efforts who worked alternative jobs just to make enough money for her family. Chorong wasn’t just hardworking, she has so many other hidden charms.

 

It had been so long since she had felt the flutters of butterflies swarming in her stomach. For the first time, Eunji’s heart began to thump excitedly. Just by being with Chorong, she felt warm and at ease.

 

“I had no idea your daughter would have the power to stand up against Hayou- “the CEO stopped as she turned to see Chorong asleep, head nodding up and down. Unconsciously, the edges of her lips turned upwards.

 

She looked like a baby.

 

Eunji got up and brought a blanket for her. Making sure that she was warm, the CEO kept looking at her. Analyzing her facial features up close, she’s beautiful.

 

Eunji never thought she would experience the fluttering feelings of falling in love again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoo returned to school, healthy and well. Wheein was more than overjoyed to reunite with her. High school continued as usual but the only difference was the continuous rivalry between Namjoo and Hayoung. The two weren’t as competitive as before and it left students wondering what happened.

 

“All right students, please be reminded about the 3 days 2 nights’ field trip to Andong Folk Village in the coming weeks. It is compulsory for everyone to attend otherwise your marks will be deducted. Thank you, class is dismissed.”

 

The students groaned as the bell rang. Some rushed down to the canteen, others stayed in class.

 

“I’m so excited to go to Andong Folk Village!” said Wheein with joy.

 

“Finally, away from the city! I miss the countryside so much!” Namjoo agreed with a nod.

 

“Hey. Catch this.” said Hayoung from afar as she gently threw something towards her.

 

Namjoo turned around and managed to catch a plastic bag filled with various bread packages. On the label was “Paris Corner.” Before the girl could even say thank you, Hayoung disappeared with her henchmen.

 

“Wait, I’m not dreaming am I? D-Did Hayoung just buy you lunch?” Wheein gasped, moving her seat closer to peek inside the bag. She was making sure it wasn’t poison or a ticking bomb.

 

“Uh, yeah. Why not? Is there something wrong?” Namjoo asked suspiciously, immediately unwrapping one package and shoving the bread straight into .

 

“Don’t you guys hate each other?”

 

“This bread is really delicious! Wanna try one?” Namjoo’s eyes widened at the explosion of flavous as offered a piece to Wheein.

 

“Excuse me, answer my question.”

 

“Yeah, answer her question.” Hwasa popped in and grabbed a seat, eavesdropping their conversation all along.

 

“Haha.” Namjoo laughed. “I don’t know. It’s complicated.” She shrugged, laying back to continue chomping away.

 

Wheein and Hwasa raised their eyebrows and stared at each other dumbfounded. Just what on earth happened between the two?

 

At the school rooftop that was Hayoung’s favourite place to hang out, her friends Joy and Yerin couldn’t stop pestering her about Namjoo. It’s annoying. All she wanted to do was to eat her Paris Corner pastries in peace.

 

“You never buy bread for us, why her?” Yerin asked with a pout. She couldn’t hide her jealousy.

 

“Did something happen? Did Namjoo threatened you when we weren’t around?” Joy asked, ready to pick a fight.

 

The trio grew up together as kids and stuck close ever since. Joy’s mother, Irene runs Seoul’s one and only Laundromat franchise, Wendy’s Wash and Yerin’s mother, Sowon is the CEO of Wish, a perfume brand.

 

Joy and Yerin owed a lot to J&J. The company helped their mother’s businesses during their difficult times. After all, they were considered small frys. It was all thanks to Jung Eunji that their businesses began to prosper after signing a partnership. It made sense how Joy and Yerin naturally became Hayoung’s servants and protectors.

 

“Stop picking fights Joy. Why don’t you go buy a punching bag?” Hayoung sighed. “And Yerin, I never buy bread for you because you don’t like bread.”

 

Her words were the harsh truth. Silence followed as the two were cornered, unable to say anything, Hayoung could finally enjoy the peace and quiet. Looking up at the clear, blue skies, it was beautiful today. The girl smiled at the sight as she lied down against the floor.

 

“W-Wait, did you just smile?” Yerin noticed.

 

“That’s rare. Wow. Something must’ve really happened.” Joy shifted herself closer.

 

“Doesn’t matter. I don’t need to be number one all the time.”

 

“Hayoung!”

 

“You have to be the top! You’re J&J’s daughter!”

 

“Who cares?” Hayoung looked at her friends, unamused. “I think she’s more than happier to be at the top.”

 

“S-She? Wait, Hayoung, what the hell is going on? Why are you suddenly getting all friendly with Namjoo? Didn’t you hate her very existence?”

 

Hayoung chuckled, amused at the way her friends were thinking.

 

“Maybe I do, maybe I don’t. It’s complicated I guess.”

 

“What?!”

 

“Now, can you guys shut up? I want to eat my bread in peace.” Hayoung took out a couple Paris Corner packages and threw it to her friends.

 

Yerin and Joy caught them and sighed. The two looked at each other confused. Sometimes, they had no idea what was going inside Hayoung’s head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bomi opened her eyes to the white ceiling, returning to reality. What happened last night, was not a dream. Turning to her side, there she was. The lady who had been crying, her eyes now swollen but still sleeping soundly in her warm embrace.

 

 

Naeun sobbed, distraught at the fact that Eunji had been meeting someone in secret. And the worst of all? It had to be her cousin, Chorong.  The texts that she saw were real. As much as she had feelings for the CEO, she blamed herself for not being quick and direct. Now, she has missed the chance.

 

Someone else took the place of her heart and there was nothing she could do because it is Chorong. She owed a lot to her cousin and there was no way she could step in. The only person whom she turned to in times like this, was Bomi. She was always there for her, no matter what.

 

She is her one and only best friend.

 

Bomi was experiencing an influx of emotions. At one point, she wanted to just go straight to Eunji’s home and scream at her. But she also wanted to stay with Naeun and comfort her. Yet, surprise was filling her mind that the Park Chorong she knew, is actually her friend’s cousin. What a small world we live in.

 

“I’m going to the office tomorrow morning and tell Eunji everything.”

 

“You can’t do that.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Are you dumb? You’ll expose me.”

 

“Oh, right. Sorry…” Bomi smiled sadly. She said that on purpose to make Naeun laugh, but it wasn’t working.

 

“She doesn’t love me.”

 

“Naeun.”

 

“I hate myself. Why did I fall for her? Why does my heart want her?” Naeun gently hit Bomi’s chest out of frustration.

 

“There’s still hope. You’re going to London with her next week, alone! This is your chance.” Bomi wanted to give her every possible hope left.

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Heck if I would you, I’d steal the chance and just have with her! Stop beating around the bush and go straight for the prize! Who cares if she’s in love with someone else? For all you know, they’re probably just having a one-night stand and after that, they’ll pretend that they never know each other.”

 

Naeun looked at her, thinking about Bomi’s words. It did make her feel better but it wasn’t enough to stop her tears from falling.

 

“I can’t do that. I’m not you.” She sobbed.

 

If only she did not read those text messages, maybe everything else would’ve been fine.

 

“What do I do with you?” Bomi sighed as she wrapped Naeun in her arms.

 

 

Staring at the movements of her chest moving up and down, her soft, luscious lips, disheveled black hair and beautiful features, Bomi wondered why Eunji never took an interest in this beauty. Gently tracing her fingertips along Naeun’s hair, the lady unconsciously spoke her heart out.

 

“I wonder if things would be different if we dated each other instead?” Bomi mumbled to herself.

 

Hearing a buzz on her phone, the lady got up with a groan and took it. Squinting her eyes from the sudden brightness, she sighed. It was a message from none other than, Jung Eunji. The CEO had tasked her on more errands to run. Bomi busied herself as her fingers danced on the screen, texting a long complaint to her best friend.

 

At the same time, Naeun fluttered her eyes open. She was awake the whole time and heard everything. But she quickly shut her eyes back, noticing Bomi putting her phone down.

 

“Naeun, wake up. I have to go to work.” She cooed.

 

“Alright…” Naeun rubbed her eyes, pretending that she was asleep.

 

“I’ll do something about this okay?”

 

“You don’t have to. It’s my own problem.”

 

“Your problems are my problems.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

It was a question that left Bomi pausing for a moment before she had an answer.

 

“Because you’re my friend.”

 

“Because you’re my friend.”

 

Was it right to call Bomi her friend when they shared intimate kisses and love? Her words rung loudly in Naeun’s head.

 

“I wonder if things would be different if we dated each other instead?”

 

How would they define their complicated relationship?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, I’m just wondering something…” Bomi asked.

 

“Fire away.” Eunji said, scanning the documents in her hand and she did not look at her best friend.

 

“Do you like Chorong?”

 

The CEO raised her head and stared at her with furrowed eyebrows.

 

“And why would you ask that?”

 

“I don’t know. You guys seem close.”

 

“And?”

 

Bomi was stuck, it looked like she was poking her nose into someone’s personal affairs. She hated how she could never win against her friend. “Nothing. I’ll get going now.” She sighed, taking her things and leaving the office.

 

“What’s with her all of a sudden?” Eunji mumbled, taking a sip of her coffee as she continued to work.

 

She had to prepare for the business trip to London but Chorong’s words rang in her head. Reflecting on her actions, she took her phone and checked her conversations. The last she had texted her daughter was two months ago. As much as she wanted to try again to fix their relationship, it wasn’t easy in reality.

 

She had no idea what to text to her. Stuck, she switched to Chorong’s contact and sent her a message.

 

“What do you think would be good way to ask someone if they’re doing okay in school?”

 

Just as Eunji was about to put her phone down, it buzzed.

 

“My daughter told me that there is a field trip coming soon. Why don’t you ask her about that?”

 

“Oh….”

 

“You didn’t even know that they’re going on a field trip to Andong?”

 

“No…”

 

“-_- Madam….”

 

“Sorry;;; Wait, why are you texting while at work?”

 

“Excuse me, when my boss sends me a text, am I suppose to ignore it -_-?”

 

“Oh, right; haha”

 

Eunji chuckled. She loved at the way Chorong answered her.

 

Taking note of her advice, the CEO decided to send a text to her daughter. As she scrolled up to look at their chat history, her heart ached. It was mostly just her sending long chunks of texts and Hayoung replying with short two-three letter words of either “Ok,” “Yes”, and “No.” If a stranger were to look at their texts, no one would even think that they were mother and daughter.

 

Eunji really wanted to make up for her mistakes, but she never had the time. But the CEO knew that this was a long overused excuse.

 

“Hayoung, I was informed that you’re going on a field trip to Andong next week. I’ll be in London when that happens.  Will you be okay alone?”

 

She had no idea why she was feeling anxious upon sending the text. Eunji took one step forward and now, she had to wait and see if it could be progressed.

 

Five minutes in. Her phone buzzed.

 

“Yes.”

 

Eunji’s heart fell. What was she expecting? This was going nowhere.

 

“Great job Jung Eunji.” The CEO sighed to herself. Instead of being stressed over her work, it felt like she was more stressed over her daughter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sitting at the school rooftop with legs crossed, Hayoung stared blankly at her phone. The sudden message from her mother took her by surprise and the girl had no idea how to respond. As the expert in overthinking, her mind began calculating various possibilities.  

 

“Hey Hayoung, you listening?” Joy nudged.

 

“Hm? Oh, yeah. Sure.”

 

Joy and Yerin frowned. They knew Hayoung wasn’t paying attention to their conversations at all.

 

“Sorry.” The girl put her phone inside her pocket. “My mom texted me.”

 

“She what?”

 

“I don’t know, it’s just really random of her.” Hayoung shrugged. “By the way, how many more minutes do we have left till break is over?”

 

“Um, 15 minutes, why?” Yerin answered as she glanced at her pink AppleWatch.

 

“Okay, good. I’m going somewhere. I’ll meet you in class later. Bye.” The girl got up, dusted her hands and walked away with quick steps.

 

“Where are you going? Hayoung? Hey!” Joy clicked her tongue and sighed in frustration. “Seriously though, what happened to her?” Her eyebrows furrowed with confusion. The J&J daughter had been acting suspicious recently. She wasn’t being her usual self.

 

“Beats me.” Yerin shrugged. “She’s full of secrets.”

 

Arriving at the school garden, Hayoung looked left and right as her eyes searched for someone.

 

“Wow look at you! You must be really hungry huh?”

 

Her ears picked up a familiar voice. Noticing the back of a girl who crouched down to feed a puppy, Hayoung’s face perked at the sight.

 

“I’ve got extras.” She kneeled down and took out a plastic bag from her pocket that were leftovers of her lunch; a half-eaten croissant from Paris Corner.

 

“Gosh, you scared me!” Namjoo flinched. “Don’t creep on me next time!” She almost yelled and wanted to hit Hayoung.

 

“Sorry. I don’t really call out to people.” The girl raised her hands in surrender.

 

“That’s fine.” She sighed and turned her attention back to the puppy. “Look Po, Hayoung brought you extra food!” She tore the bread into smaller pieces and fed her.

 

“You named it Po?”

 

“Yeah, it’s cute.”

 

It was supposed to be a secret as it is against the rules to raise a puppy in school. But a slip of a tongue caused Namjoo to have no idea choice but to share the hidden secret.

 

 

“Wow, you sure like bread a lot. Too bad it’s not from Paris Corner.” Hayoung said with sarcasm passing by Namjoo who was munching away.

 

“Excuse me, half of this is for the do-“

 

“Dog?” The girl paused her steps and looked at her.

 

“Shi- Come with me.” Namjoo stood up quickly, grabbed Hayoung’s hand and dragged her out of the classroom. It was the first time Hayoung felt something warm wrapping around her hands and honestly, it was a strange feeling.

 

“Don’t tell anyone.” Namjoo warned.

 

“What? You’re actually keeping a dog in the scho-“

 

“Ssh! People will hear you!” The girl had to tip-toe and cover Hayoung’s mouth with her hand. “It’s a stray puppy and I can’t bring it home. What do you think I’m supposed to do?”

 

“The janitor is going to find it eventually.”

 

“Nope. I made a secret home that they’ll never be able to find it.”

 

Eventually, Namjoo shared the secret and lead Hayoung to meet the puppy. At first sight, the girl was completely smitten but upset that the puppy ignored her, leaving Namjoo laughing away.

 

In the end, the two swore to keep this secret to themselves. They would take turns during lunch break to check up on the puppy and pray that it never gets caught by the janitor.

 

 

“Po can’t stay here forever. You know that.” Hayoung said in a serious tone, turning to look at Namjoo. Being this close, the girl was able to see her cute dimples and smiles clearly. Hearing her laughs and giggles resounding into the air, strangely, she felt at ease seeing Namjoo happy.

 

“Aww look at her, Hayoung! She can do tricks! What a smart puppy!” The girl squealed in excitement, smitten with Po.

 

“Excuse me, did you hear what I say?”

 

“Hm? What?” Namjoo titled her head.

 

“I said- “

 

“I know, I heard you.” The girl replied as she picked the puppy up and cuddled it in her arms. “It worries me. She’s going to get bigger and it will be difficult to hide her.”

 

“I’ll bring her home.” Hayoung said after much hesitation.

 

“You will?”

 

The girl paused as Namjoo looked at her with dark orbs. They were sparkling with hope. There was no way Hayoung could turn down at this point. Why did she even say that?

 

“Yeah. At home it’s just my mom and my butler. Plus, the house is big so Po can run around instead of hiding here.”

 

“That’s a great idea! Thank you Hayoung!” Namjoo smiled widely as she hugged the tall girl.

 

Feeling a gentle warmth wrapping around her, Hayoung’s heart began to thump rapidly. It was driving her crazy. Her body was acting strange today.

 

“N-No problem…”

 

“You know, you’re not as bad as what everyone seems to say about you.” Namjoo confessed. “I always thought you were a really cocky, ignorant kid because you’re from a prestigious, rich family which you still are, but you’re better than most people.”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean…” Hayoung mumbled.

 

Namjoo giggled. “Nothing. Anyways, the bell is going to ring soon. Let’s hide Po and go back to class.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Everything’s all in Madam.” Chorong said as she closed the boot of the Audi car.

 

Today is the day of the business trip to London. At the dawn of morning, the chauffeur is back to her job after one week working as a temporary butler at the Jung Residences.

 

“Good. Do stop by this apartment. We’re fetching my translator as well.”

 

“Alright.” Chorong got inside and looked at the address from Eunji’s phone. But she raised her eyebrows upon realizing that it was her place.

 

Arriving at the entrance of her apartment home, Chorong parked the car and waited for Eunji’s translator. A familiar figure appeared from the glass door, dragging a dark, red luggage as she walked towards the car.

 

No way.

 

Meeting eye-contact with Naeun, Chorong blinked her eyes with confusion but quickly got out and helped her cousin to put her luggage into the boot.

 

“Naeun-ah…”

 

“Let’s pretend to not know each other unnie. Just this once.” Her cousin smiled as she got into the car. Chorong nodded and understood that this is part of a job. There were times where they have to set family aside.

 

Returning back to the driver’s seat, the lady pressed her feet gently onto the accelerator as the car began its journey to the airport. Throughout the ride, there were small conversations in between, mostly between Chorong and Eunji, rarely ones with Naeun. As much as Chorong could sense the awkwardness between the two, she ignored it and continued with the flow.

 

“Alright, we’re here. Let’s go Naeun. Thank you for the ride, Chorong-ssi.” Eunji said as she got out.

 

“No problem madam. See you next week and have a safe flight.” The chauffeur replied with a smile as she helped to carry out all the luggage. She bowed, watching Eunji and Naeun disappear into the airport terminal. Breathing a sigh, she finally could be herself. Despite knowing that her cousin worked at J&J, she never thought a moment would occur where they have to cross paths.

 

Although they lived under the same roof, Chorong wasn’t able to see Naeun often due to her busy, changing working schedules. But since the past few weeks, the lady had noticed that something was off. Naeun had been reacting more coldly towards her and she had no idea why. At first, she shrugged it off as a period problem but it appears to be not the case.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Business is business.

 

There was no time for sight-seeing. Upon touching down in the city of London, the CEO of J&J headed straight to meetings with investors that lasted the whole day. Naeun had to follow Eunji around to ensure that a mutual understanding is reached, translating Korean to English and vice-versa. Always in her formal wear and high heels, it can be an exhaustive job but it didn’t matter because being by Eunji’s side was more than enough.

 

Visitations to corporate offices, wearing a smile at all times and acting as the communication medium, time goes by quickly. Eunji managed to score a contractual agreement with British fashion companies and the future is looking bright for J&J. Presenting her data, persuading the board of directors and melting their hearts with her signature eye-smile, everything is going smoothly as planned.

 

And it no time, the two were scheduled to return back to Seoul.

 

Eunji had not been updated with the events at home. Her heart hurt when she realized that not once has she thought about her daughter. She hated herself. Even in important times likethese, she became blinded by work and ignored her family. The mother felt the need to be concerned and worried about leaving Hayoung behind. But she has been doing this several times that it became, normal. Her daughter felt like a stranger that lived in the same house as her, nothing more.

 

Breathing a sigh, the CEO believed that her stress levels have increased much more. This was much more stressful than her running about in London. Taking a sip of red wine that she ordered through room service, she sat alone in her suite hotel room as she looked over the English city, the Big Ben tower instantly becoming the highlight of the view. No matter where she was, the CEO loved spending her alone time by just observing the sight. It kept her mind free of thoughts as she could focus one thing at time.

 

“I’m really terrible.” Eunji muttered to herself.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

“Come in.”

 

Shyly opening the door was Naeun, greeting with a bow.

 

“Oh. It’s you.” The CEO placed her glass down and smiled. “Would you like to share a glass of wine with me?”

 

“…Sure.”

 

Actually, Naeun was here for a reason. To finally confess her feelings to Eunji.

 

But suddenly, she’s drinking with the CEO. Honestly, that idea isn’t bad too. She could get drunk and pull her in. The translator took note of Bomi’s advice and decided to do it once and for all. No more running away or making up excuses, Naeun wanted to be upfront with her feelings. While thoughts swarm in her head, the CEO on the other hand had other things on her mind.

 

Eunji thought about what she should do currently as a mother.

 

She will never be able to run away from her regrets of the past. But Chorong’s words ringed loudly in her head. She was always alone in this world but now, there was someone whom she could turn to for advice. There was someone who was able to relate and understand her situation. The CEO gained so much respect for the lady who did not give up and strive her best to live despite the conditions.

 

These were all the more reasons that Eunji found herself falling deeper in love.

 

A long silence continued after one clink of glass. Both were each thinking about their personal problems inside their heads.

 

“Eunji-ssi…” Naeun begun her move. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.”

 

The lady glanced at the CEO who didn’t seem to notice how Naeun was fidgeting her fingers out of nervousness nor her eyes faltering from anxiety.

 

“Do you like someone?”

 

“Me?” Eunji turned to look at Naeun in the eye. It was hard to maintain an eye-contact as the translator’s heart fluttered even more. “Why are you suddenly asking me that question?” The CEO smiled.

 

“Do you like me?” The CEO smiled.

 

It was meant to be a joke, not a question.

 

“Yes.”

 

Wait. What? She seems serious about this.

 

Eunji lost her smile as she looked at her, realizing that this wasn’t something to play around.

 

“W-Wait…Naeun-ssi…?” She gulped in confusion. “Are you…” Eunji froze upon seeing her translator standing up from her seat and coming closer to her. She had never seen Naeun like this before, it took her by surprise.

 

“I like you, Eunji-ssi, for a really long time.” Naeun confessed, mustering all of her remaining courage. At this point, she really wanted to run away and hide from the whole world. But Bomi’s words pushed her forward as she acted bravely, sitting on Eunji’s lap and cupping the CEO’s cheeks in her hands. She leaned in slowly as Naeun was so close to achieving her dreams of touching those soft, luscious lips.

 

But, Eunji grabbed Naeun’s hands and pulled it away from her cheeks, turning her face away. She already felt uncomfortable at the fact that Naeun was sitting on her lap and the close-distance they were at. This was so, not her.

 

“I’m sorry, Naeun-ssi.” The CEO gently pushed her away.

 

“I like someone else."

 

 

 

--

A/N: Poor Naeun T_T Bomi pls take ur girl and make her realise that this love is not worth hurting. Eunji out there falling in love for Chorong already but she's also stuck with making amends with her daughter >< Thank you Po, you just brought Hajoo together haha but is Hayoung going to be ok bringing the puppy back home?

 

Thank you for reading! I'm glad that everyone is enjoying Complexity so far! ^^