strangely attracted to you

complexity.

 

She tossed and turned, unable to sleep. It was not like she could go to anyone and let out her emotions. Who could console her in this house? Her mom isn’t home and there was no way she’s going to talk to her. Explaining it to her butler would be weird. In the end, the only one she could rely on is her reliable teddy bear, “Bbang”. Worn out with holes and patches, it’s a feat that it’s still usable after so many years.

 

“I knew this was impossible.” Hayoung mumbled, hugging tightly onto “Bbang.”

 

 

“I like you, Naeun unnie.”

 

“…”

 

“Hayoung.”

 

“I know. It’s weird. You’re 12 years older than me but that doesn’t mean- “

 

“I don’t want to hurt you Hayoung.”

 

“Unnie…”

 

“I’m sorry. I understand how you feel.” Naeun smiled sadly. “You’re not the first to have feelings for me. Many students have confessed but I turn them down.”

 

“But…why? Am I not good enough? Is it because I’m too young for you?”

 

“I like someone else.”

 

“…” Hayoung looked down. In that blink of a second, she took a deep breath and began her act. She remembered her Aunt’s advise of what to do if she gets turned down; even though they weren’t helpful at all.

 

“It’s okay then.” Hayoung smiled. “If you’re happy with someone else, then that makes me happy too. See you next week Naeun unnie.”

 

 

 

“Did something happen?”

 

Hayoung could never hide her emotions in front of her two best friends, Joy and Yerin. At times they’re mean but inside, their hearts are full of warmth.

 

“Nothing. Let me sleep.” She sighed, resting her head on the desk.

 

“As if. It didn’t go well right? It’s okay.” Yerin patted her back.

 

“Cheer up. We’ll go get your favourite soda.”

 

“Wait.” Hayoung tugged Joy’s blouse and pulled them back. “I’ll go with you.”

 

Walking along the hallway as her besties cleared the path, Hayoung was used to having the whole celebrity fame. Students wouldn’t dare to make eye contact with her and immediately back away whenever she wanted to use the toilet. Maybe it’s because Joy and Yerin acted like her bodyguards and scared them away.

 

Not that it really mattered. Hayoung found it a pain to interact with a total stranger.

 

“Hey. You three. Move.” Joy ordered.

 

“Wait for your turn.” A student replied bravely.

 

“Did you just talk back to me?!”

 

“Yeah? What about it? Wait for your turn!”

 

“Namjoo….” Wheein nudged her.

 

Hayoung raised her eyebrow.

 

Namjoo.

 

That name sounded familiar. Oh, right. She’s the new transfer student in her class.

 

“Don’t you know the rules?” asked Yerin, crossing her arms.

 

“Who makes the rules anyway?” scoffed Namjoo as she bent down and took her drink from the machine. But it was snatched from her hands as Yerin threw it onto the floor, crushing it with her feet.

 

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

“Someone’s gonna have to learn the hard way huh?” sighed Joy with frustration, ready to hit the girl.

 

“H-Hey, she’s new! She doesn’t know okay? Just leave her alone!” said Wheein, trying to intervene.

 

“So do you want to take her place instead?”

 

“W-what?”

 

“Stop.” Hayoung sighed. The fight was giving her a headache. “Y’all are so damn noisy, I wonder why did I even bother to follow you guys here anyway.” She looked down at Namjoo, intimidating the girl with her height. “Hey newbie, next time when you see me around, it’s easy. Make way and you’ll be fine. Don’t make my friends angry.”

 

“Make me move then.” Namjoo said with confidence.

 

Hayoung stared at her, somewhat amused. Unlike everyone else who had fear in their eyes, Namjoo's were burning with fire.

 

“Interesting.” The tall girl chuckled. “Let’s see how you’ll make me move the next time we meet, Namjoo.” Hayoung turned her heel around and walked away. Joy and Yerin followed her. They were confused.

 

“H-Hey, what about your soda?” asked Yerin.

 

“I can go teach her lesson after school, how dare that brat talk back to you!” said Joy.

 

“Forget about the soda. I’m just gonna sleep in class.” Hayoung stopped her steps. “Oh, and you don’t need to worry about that girl. I’ll handle her myself.” She smirked.

 

Namjoo picked up her crushed can of soda, cracked it open and gulped it down out of anger.

 

“Namjoo…” Wheein was wide-eyed, flustered.

 

“What? It’s still drinkable. There’s no way I’m wasting my cents like that.”

 

“I wasn’t talking about your drink…”

 

“Then?”

 

“Hayoung remembered your name.”

 

“Oh wow, is that something to be amazed at?” Namjoo asked with sarcasm.

 

“Hayoung never remembers anyone. Besides her two henchmen, this is a first. Namjoo…you’re really something.” Wheein clapped her hands and gave her a thumbs up.

 

Namjoo looked at her with confused eyes, furrowing her eyebrows.

 

“Uh, okay. I still hate that girl anyway. Took one glance at her attitude and it . As expected of rich, arrogant kids who think they are the top of the world.”

 

“The week isn’t over and you’re already picking a fight with Hayoung. I like you already Namjoo!”

 

“I never said I’m picking a fight with her. There’s other ways instead of violence.”

 

“Like what?”

 

Namjoo turned to Wheein and flashed a confident smirk. “Being top in class. Let’s see who’s going to have the last laugh.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Following the instructions from her email, Chorong arrived at the J&J Headquarters at 8am, all suited up and headed to the 2nd floor. Surprised that she was chosen for the job, the lady vowed to work very hard and came on time.

 

“Hi there, you must be Park Chorong. Congratulations on getting chosen. I’m Bomi who will be in charge of your training today.”

 

“Pleasure to meet you, Bomi-ssi.” The lady returned the handshake.

 

Bomi explained everything that was necessary for a new chauffeur. Teaching her about the different type of people she had to chauffeur around at what timing, locations, specific routines and emergency measures. But she was more energetic than usual due to the presence of the pretty lady.

 

“…That should be all. Any questions?”

 

“No.”

 

“Good. Then, I’ll show you around the building and after that, I’ll assign your first task.”

 

Touring around the massive J&J building that was split into two towers with a connecting glass bridge in the middle, it can be confusing to know where everything was at. But the best part was food. Chorong gaped at the lavish canteen, two floors high. With a beautiful view of the city shining through the window frames and endless food choices to choose from, Chorong was living the dream.

 

“This is what everyone calls, paradise land.”

 

“I can see why.” Chorong chuckled as she observed her new co-workers at lunch, each having their own different set of meals.

 

“Our CEO is really cool, that’s why employees love working here despite how stressful it can be.” Bomi smiled. “That reminds me, here is the car you’ll be driving. Be careful not to get into an accident. Although our company pays the insurance, I’m not sure about your job.” She joked, handing a car key to her.

 

“Wow, an Audi.” Chorong gasped, finding it unreal now that it was really happening.

 

“And here’s your first task. I believe I’ve emailed you the schedule but this one is for your training.” The lady showed Chorong her phone which was a conversation with someone labeled as “Annoying Bestie.”

 

Bom, I need to head over to Fana Corporations for a meeting at 2.

 

Oh, I have something to do at that hour. How about I get the new recruit to drive you there?

 

Sounds good.

 

Chorong blinked and stared blankly for awhile, trying to comprehend.

 

“So…who do I need to fetch?”

 

Bomi laughed. She found Chorong cute.

 

“Silly, that’s the CEO. Your boss, Jung Eunji!”

 

“O-Oh! I’m so sorry!”

 

“It’s fine. Get your car ready and meet her at the entrance by 2. That’s your first job of the day. Good luck! If you have any questions or worries, don’t hesitate to contact me okay?”

 

“Thank you Bomi-ssi.” Chorong bowed and left in a blink of an eye. She was nervous. It would have been fine if it was someone else. But having to chauffeur the CEO on the first day of work? That’s a huge hit of stress and anxiety for the thirty-eight-year old.

 

She memorized the whole layout of the office and knew which cars were parked at what lot. It didn’t take long before she found her car, an Audi A6 Saloon. Chorong wasn’t used to driving fancy cars. Although she had more experience in driving bigger vehicles like a truck, they were about the same.

 

Arriving at the roundabout, the CEO was already there waiting for her. Chorong took a deep breath. She didn’t want to mess up on the first day.

 

“Good afternoon.” Eunji greeted as she sat at the back.

 

“Good afternoon madam.” The moment the door shut, Chorong carefully stepped on the accelerator to make a smooth start on the road. A chauffeur should drive gently so that the passenger would be comfortable.

 

“You are…Park Chorong right? The new recruit.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Congratulations on joining our team. I’ll be looking forward to see you around.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

The conversations ended like that.

 

Chorong remembered that Eunji doesn’t like having the radio and thus, she had to bear with the empty silence. It was a bit distracting as she could feel Eunji staring at her but, she had to focus.

 

“I read your testimonial. You worked for a lot of jobs.”

 

“Yes, I did.”

 

“That’s amazing. And you came from Chungcheon.”

 

“Yes.”

 

Eunji laughed.

 

Chorong had wondered if the CEO was belittling her because she wasn’t from the city.

 

“Oh, I’m not laughing because you’re from the countryside.”

 

Busted. How did Eunji read her mind?

 

“I like how your answers are short. It’s okay, I don’t bite. Let’s be comfortable with each other.” The CEO explained. Eunji didn’t like when her employees treated her like a god. She preferred equality and wanted to be friends. Although she feels sorry for not remembering their everyone’s names, but she tries to recognize their faces at least.

 

“I read your biography once. It’s really inspiring.”

 

“Thank you. It feels weird whenever someone says that.” Eunji laughed shyly.

 

“Why would it, madam?”

 

“I’m no celebrity. I’m just an ordinary person who is trying to survive in this world. As a single mother myself, I don’t think I can be proud for what I’ve done.”

 

“Madam.” Chorong paused as she was afraid if it was right to say what was on her mind. But continued because she noticed the nod from Eunji. “I’m a single mother myself. I can relate to your book a lot.

 

Eunji raised her eyebrows. “You do?”

 

“What is important is giving love. This is just my personal opinion but madam, every child in the world wants love from their mother. You can’t give up yet. Money isn’t always the solution. In fact, I think money makes it worse.”

 

“That is true. I’ve seen the effects on my daughter.” The CEO sighed, thinking about Hayoung. “What else can I possibly do?”

 

“It’s not too late madam. Have you tried explaining to her about your situation?”

 

“She doesn’t even read my texts.”

 

“But the two of you live in the same house, right?”

 

“By the time I’m home, she’s already asleep and when I’m awake, she’s in school- “

 

“That’s the problem madam. Make an effort to come home early. Make an effort to initiate a conversation. Eat meals with her, spend the weekends together- Oh! I’m so sorry I just cut you off like that madam I’m so sor- “

 

“It’s okay.” Eunji smiled.

 

For the first time, she never had such an enlightening conversation with an employee. In fact, she has never met another single mother in her life. All of her friends were either CEOs just like her, people who used money to control their life. To be able to have someone who understands her situation, is comforting.

 

“Thank you, Chorong-ssi.”

 

In a blink of eye, they were at the front of Fana Corporations.

 

“Madam, we have arrived.”

 

“Thank you for the drive. I think it was a good choice to hire you, Chorong-ssi. You are right. I need to make an effort. See you around.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I thought you had work at 2?” asked Naeun as the two friends were out for a drive together.

 

“Nah, I just handed the job over to the new recruit.”

 

“You big bully.”

 

“Oh come on, Eunji seemed interested in that recruit. It didn’t even take her one minute to hire her. Honestly, she's kinda pretty too- ” Bomi raised her head and realized that she probably shouldn’t have said that.

 

formed an ‘o’. “Crap. I’m sorry.”

 

Naeun sighed with a frown, rolling her eyes. “Great job unnie.”

 

“Sorry! I totally forgot! I didn’t mean to do that on purpose!” explained Bomi as she laughed nervously.

 

She was so dead. How could she introduce a new lady to the CEO when she was fully aware that Naeun had a big crush on Eunji?

 

The one-sided love began when Bomi introduced Naeun to Eunji as a freelance translator years ago. And being the best friend, Bomi became the cupid and did her best to bring the two together. But obviously, the CEO was too dense to notice all the hints. It’s frustrating because Eunji only sees Naeun as an employee. Nothing more.

 

“It’s okay. Really.”

 

“But you made some progress last time. Heard you two had a private dinner.”

 

“Yeah, but all we did was discuss about work.”

 

“Dammit, that workaholic knows nothing about love.” Bomi understood how frustrating it must be if she was in Naeun’s position. After all, she introduced several men and woman to her best friend but no one struck a fire in her heart. Not even the beautiful freelancer in front of her.

 

“I’m meeting her later tonight.”

 

“Oh? Is it a date?”

 

“No! She said something about a business trip to London and needed my translation skills.”

 

“Bummer. At least you’d spend some time with her alone in another country.” Bomi winked.

 

“It’s funny how I’m trying hard to catch the attention of someone else even though other people have feelings for me.” Naeun chuckled as she confessed. “A student confessed to me yesterday.”

 

“Wow, again? That’s like the 10th student who has fallen in love with you.”

 

“I feel bad.”

 

Bomi sighed and patted Naeun’s head. “Don’t be. Who is that student anyway?”

 

“You’ll be really shocked.”

 

“I’m ready.”

 

“It’s Hayoung.”

 

“W-What?!” Bomi had to pull the brakes and park the car aside. “Are you serious?!”

 

“I am. But I know she’s going to act like nothing happened.”

 

“So that was what she was talking about?! Oh god, so you are her crush? What a twist!”

 

“She told you?”

 

“Duh, she tells her aunt- I mean me, everything.” The lady slumped back to her seat. “This is getting complicated.” Bomi sighed. “Poor Hayoung. All she wants is to be loved and to be rejected…”

 

“I know. That’s why…”

 

“How did you reject her?”

 

“I told her that I liked someone else.”

 

“Well, that’s true. You like her mother.”

 

“She doesn’t know about that and it’s better that she never knows.”

 

“…Right.”

 

“Anyways, enough about me. What about you? Did you reply to that guy’s confession?” Naeun giggled with curiosity.

 

Bomi rolled her eyes. She had hoped Naeun would’ve forgotten about that.

 

The lady was asked out by Choi Taejoon, the owner of the café that Bomi frequented every morning. He’s a nice, polite man that any woman would love to have as a boyfriend.

 

“It’s not like you’re going to date anyone else at your age.”

 

“Excuse me, we only have a twelve-year . I’m not old, yet.” Bomi pardoned.

 

Naeun laughed. “I remember how you tried to ask Eunji’s secretary, Nana out. A complete failure.”

 

“She’s a straight. Damn.”

 

“Try going on a date with him. It won’t hurt.”

 

“Should I?”

 

“If he really isn’t your type, you two can just be friends.”

 

“But I’m a ing proud as hell lesbian!”

 

“Stop lying. Eunji told me that you’re biual.”

 

“And why did she tell you that?!”

 

Naeun giggled. “Other than work, we talk about you a lot.”

 

“Well, at least I’m a topic of conversation with your crush. You should thank me.” Bomi said sarcastically.

 

 

 

 

 

 

An unexpected rivalry became a hot topic in Seoul High. Everyone was shocked when the results of the weekly test came out. Hayoung dropped to 2nd place while Namjoo climbed to the top. It was a turn of tables, someone from the countryside beat the daughter of J&J.

 

“Holy crap. Namjoo, you did it!” Wheein gasped.

 

“You’re a ing god now! Damn! Let me bow to you, my master!” Hwasa joked as she pretended to kneel.

 

“Stop it guys, you’re embarrassing!” Namjoo shushed, pulling her friends up from their knees.

 

“Impressive.”

 

Namjoo turned around to the giant looking at her with that annoying smirk she hates with all her heart.

 

“Hello there Hayoung. See that?” The girl pointed to the board. “Know your place. When you see me around, make way, got it?”

 

Hayoung chuckled, finding it funny how Namjoo was reusing her sentence. She never found anyone who dared to challenge her. Everyone was either not up to her standards or too much of a coward to take the chance. With Namjoo waking the school up, it was starting to make the dull high school life that Hayoung dreaded so much, fun again.

 

“Enjoy the perks of being number one while you can, Namjoo. Let’s see what happens next week.”

 

“I’ll look forward to that, Miss Hayoung.”

 

The next week went by.

 

Everyone gasped. Hayoung 1st, Namjoo 2nd.

 

“Good luck next time.” The girl smirked and walked away with triumph.

 

“T-That annoying brat! Alright, this is how you want to play huh?” Namjoo said in frustration as she clenched her fist. She wasn’t giving up yet. Instead, she was pumped with determination.

 

“Namjoo…” Wheein and Hwasa were worried at where this was going.

 

The third week entered and tables were turned.

 

Namjoo 1st, Hayoung 2nd.

 

But their rivalry continued till people started to count how many times Hayoung and Namjoo won. For once, Seoul High wasn’t always about studying. Classes discussed about the hot pair who didn’t just fight for their place on the scoring board.

 

People have seen the two continuing their rivalry in other places. In PE class, they would compete to see who could run the fastest. In the canteen, they would challenge each other to see who could eat the most.

 

A rivalry that seemed to be scary at first, started to look cute. No one has ever seen this competitive side of Hayoung before. The J&J daughter was always introverted. Nobody really knew much about her besides the fact that she’s obsessed with video games. All she ever posts is game-related on her social media accounts and never about her life. But people follow her regardless, all because she is the daughter of J&J Ltd.

 

Hayoung would shy away from the public eye, only appearing with her mother for certain occasions. Students thought that she was scary because she rarely smiled so they always backed away and avoided eye contact. But seeing her smile for the first time, changed the perception of others.

 

Maybe, she was just an ordinary high school kid like everyone else.

 

“Teacher, may I go to the toilet?”

 

“Yes you can- “

 

“Teacher, may I go to the toilet?” Hayoung asked as she stood up.

 

“Excuse me, I asked first!” shouted Namjoo.

 

“Hayoung-“

 

“I have to take a piss teacher!” Namjoo said.

 

“I have a really bad stomach ache teacher!” Hayoung retailiated.

 

“I can’t hold it anymore! I really need to go!”

 

“I might get sick teacher! If I do, I’m blaming you!”

 

“What the hell, no one would get sick from holding their poop Hayoung!”

 

“Poop is more important than peeing so shut up.”

 

Their classmates laughed and watched their rivalry continue, even in funny situations like these.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good evening madam.” greeted Chorong.

 

“Oh, hello. We meet again.” Eunji smiled. Today, she was to meet a fashion designer at a café in Hongdae to discuss on new designs. “How has your work been throughout the few weeks? Is it stressful?”

 

“Not at all. I like my job.”

 

“That’s good.”

 

Chorong was hesitant to initiate a deeper conversation. But she remembered that Eunji wanted to treat her employees like friends. She wanted to know more about the author of her favourite book.

 

“Are things going well with your daughter?” Chorong asked timidly.

 

Eunji sighed and looked at her with a tired smile. “You’re the first to ask me that.”

 

“S-Sorry madam…”

 

“It’s okay. Usually, my employees wouldn’t ask me about my personal life but I don’t mind. It’s a little boring when the chauffeur doesn’t say anything and does the job y’know? Thank you for that.” Eunji leaned back comfortably. “Honestly, I haven’t made any progress.”

 

“I see…”

 

“I know. It’s my fault. But there’s so many things to do, I can’t make time. I did hear from Bomi that Hayoung’s attracting attention in school these days.”

 

“Really? Your daughter is usually the quiet type.”

 

“I’m surprised too. For some reason, she’s suddenly enthusiastic. At least she’s stopped going to the internet café. I wonder what happened…”

 

“A mother should know their child better than anyone in the world, madam.”

 

“Oh wow, ouch that hurt.” Eunji laughed.

 

“S-Sorry, I didn’t mean to. Ah, I keep talking mean things!” Chorong kept hitting her own mouth.

 

Eunji’s smile widened. She found Chorong’s reaction adorable for someone her age.

 

“You’re cute.”

 

“Me? Is that a joke?”

 

“No! I’m serious!”

 

“Thank you. I think you’re the first to ever compliment me.”

 

“Wouldn’t the first be your husband- Oh! I’m sorry! I forgot!” Eunji covered , almost forgetting that Chorong was a single mother like her too. Bringing up the topic of her former husband was insensitive of her.

 

“Haha, it’s okay.” The chauffeur laughed it off. “He passed away from cancer.”

 

“Sorry to hear about that.”

 

As much as Chorong wanted to ask Eunji about her husband, she knew it wasn’t right. The CEO never mentioned about her husband in her book and assumed it was a sensitive topic.

 

The past didn’t matter anyway, the present did.

 

“Chorong-ssi, can I ask you a favour? I’ve been thinking about it for awhile.”

 

“Yes madam?”

 

“My butler won’t be around next week due to her personal issues with her family so I’ve been thinking about a replacement. I remember reading your resume and you’ve worked as a kitchen helper and all sorts. Household chores and cooking should be no problem for you.”

 

“But madam- “

 

“I will clear you off your duties for the whole of next week and double your pay. How about that?”

 

“…I guess I can’t say no to that…madam…”

 

“Thank you Chorong-ssi. I’ll text you my house address. Be careful not to give it to anyone otherwise I’ll wake up to paparazzi knocking on my door.” Eunji joked as she took out her phone.

 

“What’s your phone number?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

High school life has never been this interesting.

 

For the first time, Hayoung looked forward to attend classes. Sometimes, being at the top with no competitor was dull and boring. Not in her life has she met such a girl who bore a strong dislike towards her.

 

Kim Namjoo.

 

Strangely, Hayoung found herself attracted to her. But certainly for other reasons, and not romantically. There was no way she would date a loud, annoying and competitive girl. She preferred gentle, kind ones like her tutor.

 

Great, she was reminded that her love confession was rejected.

 

“Morning Hayoung.” greeted Joy as she sat down. “I wonder what you two are going fight about today.”

 

“Beats me. But sounds fun.”

 

“You sure look livelier ever since she came around.”

 

“That girl is interesting. She’s different from others.”

 

“Best not be too close with her Hayoung.” Joy warned as she looked at her friend. “She’s not part of us. She’s from the countryside and knows nothing about how our life works.”

 

“I know.”

 

The school bell rang and everyone scrambled back to their seats. But there was something missing. Namjoo’s seat is empty.

Hayoung slumped her head on the desk and pretended to sleep. She sighed. Without her around, it looks like today will be back to those boring days.

 

The next day arrived. Hayoung came in with expectation. But again, Namjoo’s seat is empty.

 

“I wonder what happened to her?”

 

A thought ran passed her once. But the girl shook her head. Why would she even concern herself with someone that isn’t her kind?

 

The week has gone by and Namjoo never came to class. What’s worse is that Hayoung hate the fact that she couldn’t’ stop thinking about where she was and what was happening. In order to satisfy her curiousity, she had to do something she’s never done before. Talking to Namjoo’s friends.

 

“Hey.”

 

The girl ignored her.

 

“Hey, you.”

 

Hayoung took a glance at her nametag.

 

“Hey, Wheein.”

 

“Oh? You called me?” Wheein finally answered as she turned around.

 

Hayoung hated her attitude. It made her blood boil.

 

“Yeah, I called you.”

 

“That’s rare. You’ve never talked to me once since the whole of last year. What made you so curious now?”

 

Hayoung could literally hit her now, if she could. Her tone was a perfect imitation of how cocky kids would act.

 

“Have you seen Namjoo around?”

 

“Oh?” Wheein’s smile disappeared. “You want to know where Namjoo is?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well, Miss Hayoung.” The short girl crossed her arms and walked to her, staring straight into her eyes. “Why don’t you use your smart brain and think about it?”

 

“What?”

 

Wheein sighed, frustrated. She was angry at Hayoung and decided to just lash it all on her.

 

“I can’t tell if you’re really smart.” Her eyes continued to stare at her.

 

“Because of you, Namjoo kept stressing herself, putting all-nighters just to keep up with your bull. She’s a hardworking girl and doesn’t slack off. She studies so hard just to stay at the top! She’s not like you! Her family is poor and she doesn’t’ have money to buy medicine or visit the doctor okay?! She doesn’t have a family doctor or a personal chauffeur, she takes the train home everyday! That’s why Namjoo’s been down with a fever and if she dies, it’s all your damn fault!” Wheein yelled before storming off.

 

Everyone gasped. That was the first time someone shouted at the daughter of J&J. The girl stood there, dumbfounded and eyes wide open. But her words caused her to think a little more deeply.

 

“Why that -! Hey, I’ll go teach her lesson!” shouted Yerin as she ran over.

 

“She’s going to ing hell!” yelled Joy as her friends were about to chase Wheein down.

 

“Stop.”

 

One word was all it needed to halt the footsteps of her henchmen.

 

“Hayoung!”

 

“Come on, let’s go back to class.” Hayoung sighed as she dragged her feet back. Joy and Yerin exchanged confused glances with each other.

 

Once the bell rang, signaling the end of classes, students scrambled out. Most of them waiting at the courtyard for their chauffeurs to fetch them home, some would walk with their friends and hang out.

 

Joy and Yerin thought that Hayoung might’ve been in a bad mood these days and wanted to make her feel better.

 

“Hey Hayoung, let’s go karaoke!”

 

“Yeah, it’s gonna be real fun! I’ll pay this round.”

 

“It’s okay guys. I’ll go home for today.” Hayoung smiled sadly. “See you tomorrow.” She waved before entering her car.

 

“What’s with her these days?” mumbled Yerin, frowning her eyebrows.

 

“Probably on her period. Mood swings .”

 

“You might be right.”

 

Hayoung breathed a sigh of relief now that she was away from her friends.

 

“Tough day at school?” Hyeri asked.

 

Right, she wasn’t exactly alone. She still has Hyeri unnie.

 

“I guess so.”

 

“Go home and rest.”

 

“…Wait.”

 

“What?”

 

“…Could you drop by the pharmacy?” Hayoung asked reluctantly.

 

Hyeri raised her eyebrows in surprise. “And what for? Are you sick? Shall I call your personal doctor?”

 

“No. I just need to buy some medicine for a friend.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Visiting J&J Ltd was no big deal for Naeun. She had gone there so many times that the receptionist recognizes her, making it no hassle to go through the security checks. Naeun was more than happy to meet with Eunji every now and then. Sure, she would fantasize about going on dates with her. This also meant, ual dreams. She’d be sinning if she admitted that she would think of Eunji whenever she had with Bomi.

 

But Naeun is content with a one-sided love. It’s not like the CEO would have time to invest romantically, right?

 

“Evening Eunji-ssi.”

 

“You’re on time. I like that part of you. Here, sit down.” Eunji said with her signature eye-smile. It was a radiant sun no matter the time.

 

“So, you’re heading to London next week?” Naeun asked, getting straight to work.

 

“Yes. As per the contract, I will pay you exactly.” Eunji leaned back on her seat and took a sip of her hot Americano. Naeun couldn’t help but to steal glances at her lips. Sometimes she would imagine how kissing Eunji must’ve felt like. Would it be the same as she had fantasized in her dreams?

 

“I’ll be meeting some British clients, investors and fashion designers. They are interesting partners. I have their portfolios, hold on.” The CEO searched through her drawers but the folders weren’t there. “I think they might be in the storeroom. Hold on, I’ll be right back.”

 

Left alone, Naeun walked around the spacious office. She has explored it so many times but the lady liked browsing through her bookshelves and wondered if Eunji had any new additions. Turns out, she did.

 

What Money Can’t Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets by Michael J.Sandel.

 

Another book on her reading list. As a bookworm, Naeun loved that Eunji had the same interests with her. She would note the books down and buy it later at the bookstore. It was her own way of trying to be closer with Eunji.

 

Suddenly, Eunji’s phone buzzed with a notification.

 

It startled her. But Naeun was curious.

 

For some reason, she wanted to know who would be texting her at this hour. Walking to her desk and picking up the phone, it buzzed again with another notification.

 

Two messages from Park Chorong.

 

“I have arrived at your house madam.”

 

“Your daughter isn’t home.”

 

Naeun’s eyes widened with surprise.

 

Just then, Eunji returned and Naeun quickly put the phone down, calmly returning to her seat.

 

“I found the files.”

 

Obviously, the dense CEO did not notice anything.

 

“That’s a relief.”

 

Eunji settled back to her seat and briefly checked her phone. Naeun noticed her smiling as the CEO began texting away.

 

“She returns quite late. Just don’t surprise her. In the meantime, familiarize yourself with the place. My house is quite big. See you later.”

 

“Now then.” Eunji placed her phone facing flat on the desk. “Let’s discuss about London.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was 7pm. Hayoung paced outside the entrance of Namjoo’s apartment block. She got her address through connections; the power of being the J&J’s daughter. But she swore that there was no intention of stalking her. Holding on to the plastic bag that contained fever and flu medicines, the girl let out a heavy, stressed sigh. She had no idea why she was doing this.

 

Was it due to guilt?

 

Wheein’s words stabbed straight into her heart and it was affecting her pretty bad.

 

Taking slow, heavy steps up, she wished time went by slower. Now in front of the door, Hayoung was reluctant to press the doorbell. But the girl pretended that this was all part of a game. If she didn’t get past this level, it’s game over.

 

“Ah, whatever.” The girl cussed and quickly pressed the doorbell.

 

She stood there for ten seconds. No reply.

 

She pressed again. Nothing.

 

Now other thoughts were running through her mind. What if Namjoo became too sick that she might actually be unconscious? What if…she’s already dead?

 

“.”

 

Sometimes, Hayoung hated how far her overthinking could go. Scrambling her pockets, she took out a pin and started picking the lock. She had it around in case she got sent to detention classes and needed to escape. Her childhood friend, Heechul taught her the tricks.

 

Leaning her head against the door, she would pay close attention to the sounds. She would twist it a few times where clicking sounds would respond. Raising her head to peek through the hole, the door suddenly slammed straight into her face. It felt like something threw a large brick at her and all she could feel was a numbing pain.

 

“Ouch!” Hayoung yelled as she fell to the floor.

 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” said Namjoo in a coarse voice. “Wait…Hayoung?” She squinted her eyes and bent down to look at her, wondering if she was real. “Why are you here?”

 

“ing hell, don’t just suddenly open the door!” Hayoung mumbled as she rubbed her forehead that was beginning to grow red.

 

Namjoo scanned her eyes around and noticed that Hayoung was holding a bag full of medicine.

 

“Is that for me?”

 

“…Yeah. Take it.”

 

“Wow.”

 

“What?”

 

“Is this a bribery?”

 

“ no.”

 

“Then why are you doing this?” Namjoo continued her interrogation. She didn’t trust Hayoung at all. “What if you tampered the medicine and you want me to die from poisoning?”

 

“I bought them from the pharmacy for s sake. Just take it!” Hayoung shouted, tossed the bag at her and turned around. “Damn it, I shouldn’t have ing come. Argh, this thing hurts!” The girl grumbled as she kept rubbing her forehead.

 

Namjoo rolled her eyes and sighed. “Come in. I’ll treat your so-called injury.”

 

“I don’t need your help.”

 

“Oh yeah, then I don’t need these medicine then.” Namjoo shook the plastic bag.

 

Hayoung turned and look at her dead in the eye. She hated this.

 

In the end, Hayoung was dragged into Namjoo’s house and forced to sit down so that the girl could apply ointment on her forehead. She patched it up with a plaster.

 

The girl has visited Yerin and Joy’s houses before but they were always big, spacious and decorated lavishly. This is the first that a house had ever looked so normal that definitely had no butler around.

 

“There you go you big baby.” Namjoo placed back the first aid kit on the shelf.

 

“…How is your fever?” Hayoung asked with much reluctance.

 

“Fever?” Namjoo’s eyes widened. “What fever?”

 

“…Wheein told me that you had a fever. Isn’t that why you didn’t come to school for a whole week?”

 

“Aw will you look at that? My greatest enemy worrying for me? How sweet.” Namjoo said in a sarcastic, whiny tone. “I don’t have a fever but I do have a flu and a sore throat. Plus, I sprained my ankle that’s why it took me forever to get the door.” She pointed out the bandage around her leg.

 

“I’m killing Wheein.”

 

“What did she say?”

 

“…Nothing.”

 

Hayoung’s ears were burning with embarrassment. She couldn’t believe that she fell for a lie like that. She wanted to get out of there fast.

 

Namjoo laughed out loud. Never before had she knew that this daughter of J&J could be cute too. Maybe, she’s just like everyone else. Perhaps, not all city kids are as cocky from the dramas she has watched.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Hayoung looked at her confused. She wasn’t expecting that from Namjoo.

 

“What?”

 

“I said thank you. Are you deaf?”

 

“Oh. Yeah, whatever.”

 

An awkward silence followed. Hayoung didn’t know what to do. She’s not good at speaking with strangers, let alone her own classmate.

 

“You want anything to drink?”

 

“No. I’m going home. My chauffeur is waiting for me outside.”

 

Namjoo stared at her, unamused. “Of course. A chauffeur.”

 

“I can take you around one day, if you’d like.”

 

“Hah, I don’t believe in your bull.”

 

“I’m not joking. Take that as thanks for this patch up here.” Hayoung pointed at the plaster on her forehead.

 

“Rather than sitting in a fancy car, I’d settle with good pastries and sweets.”

 

“Ok deal.” The girl was serious. “I’ll get you some pastries from my favourite bakery, Paris Corner.” Hayoung agreed cooly. It was simple give-and-take, nothing more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Thank you for the ride Taejoon-ssi.” said Bomi with a smile as she was about to exit the car. She listened to Naeun and agreed to the date. He’s a nice guy, well-mannered and had good jokes that kept her entertained throughout the night.

 

“No problem. I hope that you enjoyed today Bomi-ssi.”

 

“Yes, it was fun.”

 

Bomi felt uncomfortable and wanted to get out of there quick.

 

She couldn’t feel the spark. The lady just wasn’t attracted to him. But with the way things were going, Bomi figured that this would happen. She noticed Taejoon staring at her with those loving eyes. Moving closer, she could feel his breath against her skin.

 

The lady didn’t move away and naturally, the two shared a kiss. Bomi didn’t want to disappoint him on the first date. Thus, she imagined that she was kissing Naeun, thinking that his lips matched the softness of hers, the lady followed and matched the rhythm.

 

Returning home after the “hot” kiss, Bomi collapsed herself on bed and let out a sigh. Spreading her hands flat out as she stared at the ceiling, she muttered one sentence.

 

“I’m so ed.”

 

Bomi blamed herself for going along with the kiss and now, Taejoon thinks that they’re compatible. She hated breaking people’s hearts and it was not like she could just confess to him that it was all a lie.

 

How long was she going to keep up with this facade?

 

Her phone buzzed. She hoped it was not Taejoon texting her.

 

“Hey, you home?”

 

Her heart felt at ease. It was Naeun.

 

“Back from my date and it totally .”

 

“He’s not going to have with you, is he?”

 

“The , no! Not on the first date!”

 

“Okay, then I’m coming over.”

 

“Feel free. I feel like .”

 

“Well, I’ve got more interesting things to tell you.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“I think Eunji is secretly dating someone.”

 

“What?!” Bomi rose up from bed as she stared at her phone. She was now wide awake.

 

“Fill me in with this tea.”

 

“I happened to see Eunji’s phone and someone was texting her that she was at her house. She also said that Hayoung wasn’t home. And the more shocking part, I think she’s my cousin.”

 

“W-what the ?! Okay, hurry over. We are going to talk the whole night on this.”

 

She hung up and anxiously dialed Eunji’s number. But of course, her friend didn’t pick up.

 

“Dammit! I didn’t know you were someone like this Eunji.”

 

 

 

--

A/N: Eunji's so smooth lol "What's your phone number?" pls haha, and Naeun's misunderstandings are going to take a turn? Let's not forget Hajoo's i-hate-you-but-also-not-really relationship haha~ Thank you for reading! ^^ 

P.S The book that Naeun picked out from Eunji's shelf is the actual prop used in Apink's Miracle photobook.