prologue

complexity.

A/N: This is a prologue chapter based on events that happened 15 years prior to the actual storyline. Note that there is an difference between the Apink members as compared to their real-life counterparts. Enjoy reading!


 

 

“All you think about is work, have you ever once thought of spending time with your daughter?!”

 

Eunji’s eyes faltered but she pretended to not hear. She remained focused on the papers that were piling up on her desk, signing contracts and agreements related to her company, J&J Ltd.

 

“Jung Eunji!” Bomi shouted, arms crossed as she stood by the door. She was frustrated at how much her childhood friend had changed. Since when was she so work-oriented, blinded by money and now, a cold-hearted women to her own friend?

 

“Tell Hayoung that I’m not coming back home. I have a midnight conference with clients from America, y’know the time difference.”

 

“You’re really going to regret this in the future. One day, your daughter is gonna grow up hating you.” she sighed.

 

There was always one habit that Bomi could never shake off. It was her careless tongue that spoke to her heart’s will. It was dangerous and the many causes how she got involved in various fights and arguments during their high school days.

 

The girl stormed off, slamming the door shut. Bomi’s words hurt. But it was the truth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where’s mom?” yawned Hayoung as she rubbed her eyes, waking up from her nap. She had been sleeping soundly, tucked comfortably into the backseat of the familiar car. She moved her hands around anxiously but found relief upon noticing that her favourite teddy bear was beside. Hugging it tightly, she was afraid that it went missing.

 

“Sorry Hayoung-ah, it’s just gonna be you and me tonight.”

 

A pout formed Hayoung’s lips. Of course, it’s not like her mom would be free to fetch her from daycare. When is she ever free?

 

“It’s okay Aunt Bomi.”

 

But that’s fine. Either way, she prefers Aunt Bomi more than her mom. She makes her feel loved and is her sanctuary of happiness. Sometimes, Hayoung wished that Bomi was her mom instead.

 

“So! What do you want to eat for dinner?” asked Bomi in a chirpy tone, noticing Hayoung’s sullen expression from the car mirror.

 

“I wanna eat something sweet!”

 

“Bomi! I swear, because you’re spoiling her so much, now she’s sick with a stomach ache! You can’t just say yes to whatever she wants!”

 

“Oh yeah? If you’re gonna order me around, why don’t you do it yourself? Hayoung’s your daughter, not mine!”

 

“Does it look like I have to time to look after her? I am so busy with-”

 

“You chose work over family. You don’t care what happens to Hayoung. You’re acting all concerned just to save your own face cause you’re a big CEO now.”

 

“Bomi-that’s not-”

 

“Whatever. I know Hayoung better than her own mom anyway.”

 

The memory flashed before Bomi’s eyes, her argument with Eunji years ago still remained fresh in her head. Honestly, it was her fault. One shouldn’t feed a young child excessively with sugary foods, but Bomi was just upset at how she was filling out the “mother” duties instead. She tried very hard to understand Eunji’s position as the CEO of J&J. She did.

 

She really did.

 

“Alright, I think Paris Corner should still be open. Let’s head there before it closes.” mumbled Bomi to herself as she tapped onto her phone and changed the GPS location.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji couldn’t focus on her work. All on her head was the guilt forming painfully inside her heart.

 

“God damn it, Yoon Bomi.” cussed Eunji with frustration as she placed the pen down, leaned against her chair as she let out a heavy sigh. Overlooking the night view of Seoul from her window located on the 70th floor, it is a familiar scene every day.

 

She had just finished a 2 hour video conference call with her clients from America. They were interested in investing into J&J Ltd and if everything goes well, her company would strike big fortune and success. Eunji would become the country’s first ever billionaire CEO.

 

A buzz vibrated on her phone as a message notification popped up.

 

“Hayoung’s fed and tucked in bed. What time are you coming back? You know I can’t leave her alone.” - Bomi

 

“I’ll come home now.”

 

With a decision set, Eunji got her things and left the office. Greeting her employees that were working as late as her, she headed inside her Volkswagen car and drove off onto the clear highway. It became a habit of her to not turn on the radio and simply listen to utter silence. Thoughts filled her mind, thinking over her decisions. Her role as a CEO and a mother. She had to do something about it, before it is too late.

 

“You came earlier than I expected. It’s only 1am.” said Bomi, greeting Eunji at the entrance.

 

“You’ve got nothing on tomorrow right?”

 

“It’s a weekend. Why?”

 

“Pack your bags. The three of us are going on a short trip to Busan.”

 

“Wow.”

 

“What?”

 

“Are you finally starting to change? Did my words finally got into those stubborn ears of yours?”

 

“Meet us at the station by 7am. If you’re late, I’m leaving without you. That’s all, see you tomorrow.” said Eunji, ignoring Bomi’s words as she ushered her out and shut the door before the girl could say anything else.

 

The first place she headed to, was her bedroom where Hayoung was. The child was sleeping soundly, full after a great dinner as she hugged tightly onto her favourite teddy bear whom she calls as “Bbang.” In fact, the teddy bear was a gift from Eunji many years back.

 

“I’m sorry Hayoung-ah.” cooed Eunji as she gently shifted the blanket upwards to make sure Hayoung was warm under the sheets. “I’m a bad mom but I’m learning to become better.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mom?”

 

Hayoung woke up to a gentle touch, through her hair. It was different from how Bomi usually does it. Her aunt likes to ruffle her hair messily.

 

“Morning, Hayoung-ah.”

 

“Are you going to work again?” The child asked, as it was a normal thing for her mom  to work on a weekend.

 

Eunji shook her head in response.

 

“Do you  remember how you kept saying that you missed grandma and grandpa back in Busan?”

 

“Did they visit Seoul?”

 

Eunji chuckled but inside, her heart ached. Hayoung was too smart for a child her age. The girl thought that Eunji was going to a far place for work and thus, her grandparents were needed to take care of her. After all, Aunt Bomi can’t always be around.

 

“No. We’re going there to meet them.”

 

“Really?” Hayoung’s eyes twinkled up in expectation. It was just too good to be real.

 

“Mm.” Eunji nodded. “The two of us are going on a short trip to Busan. Oh and, Aunt Bomi is coming along too.”

 

“R-Really?!!” Hayoung sprang up in excitement, not even realising that her favourite teddy bear had fallen to the floor.

 

“Yup! Now go wash yourself up. We don’t want to be late!”

 

“Okay mom!”

 

Eunji felt happier seeing her daughter in a brighter mood.

 

As she packed their bags, Eunji would occasionally glance at Hayoung who was brushing her teeth independently by herself.

 

It felt just like yesterday when she cuddled Hayoung in her arms. Now, she had grown up so fast, getting taller each day. Eunji realised that she was missing out on a lot of things.

 

“Wow, you even know how to button your shirt now.”

 

“Of course!” said Hayoung with a smile, happy that she was getting praised by her own mom. She wanted to cherish these small moments forever in her heart as they were rare to come by.

 

Eunji continued to look at Hayoung who wore her own shoes and tied the laces by herself. She was growing up so well. The lady was thankful that Bomi taught her well.

 

“Alright, let’s go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Aunt Bomi!!!” said Hayoung as she ran into her arms.

 

“You’re pretty excited today huh?” chuckled Bomi as she naturally lifted the child up and carried her.

 

Hayoung nodded excessively as she grinned, cream evident on her lips.

 

“You fed your daughter sweet cream pies in the morning? Now, that’s new.” eyed Bomi as she gave her train ticket to the attendant and had the sides torn off.

 

“Oh, will you shut your mouth for a moment?” sighed Eunji, having enough with her teasing. The two found their seats and placed their luggage on the upper cabinet.

 

Everything was going well. Hayoung was in a good mood, her eyes were glued to the windows as she watched the switching sceneries outside. Bomi automatically looked after her by instinct while Eunji observed her surroundings. There were families on board, businessmen and couples, people from all walks of life. She had a lot on her mind and tried to ignore the amount of incoming messages that were buzzing on her phone. Eunji wanted to spend a weekend without anything related to her work at all.

 

She wanted to be a good mom to Hayoung.

 

Halfway through the 2-hour ride, the child fell asleep as she hugged tightly onto “Bbang”.

 

“You know, she brings that everywhere. That means something, y’know?” said Bomi as she gazed at Hayoung.

 

“I know.”

 

“Thank you for listening to me this time.”

 

“I just want to try my best even though I’ve already failed my job as a mom. She wasn’t planned but...I couldn’t throw her away.”

 

“Now, now, let’s not dwell on the past too much. Just enjoy the present and future. I’m sure Hayoung’s going to grow up and understand why her mom is so busy. She’s a nice kid.”

 

“I don’t know if she’s ready to face the world especially when she grows up as a CEO’s daughter. What if she gets exposed to the bad side of the world?”

 

“Oh, isn’t that the job of her mom to make sure that doesn’t happen instead of shoving that job to her one and only best friend?” said Bomi in a sarcastic yet teasing tone.

 

“So much for rubbing the salt into my wound, thank you very much for that.” Eunji scoffed.

 

“Sorry, just joking.” laughed Bomi. “You should really find your other half soon. It’s not good to handle all this parental thing alone. I mean, there’s no way I’m gonna be marrying you anyway. Yeah, I’m lesbian and all but-”

 

“Pfft, lesbian my . Aren’t you bi? Remember how you were swooning over that boy back in high school? I wonder what is he doing now...” laughed Eunji as the two best friends chatted about many things. It had been a long time since they properly sat down for a conversation ever since Hayoung was born.

 

Her birth marked a significant change in their lives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dear passengers, we are now approaching Busan Station. Busan Station. Please do not forget your belongings and thank you for riding with us.”

 

Bomi got up to get their luggage while Eunji carried a half-awake Hayoung as they squeezed through the crowd who were rushing out in a disoriented manner.

 

“Oh god, don’t these people have manners?” mumbled Eunji as she naturally moved her palm over Hayoung’s head to prevent anything from hitting her. People were dragging their luggage out, blocking the pathway and chatted noisily

 

“B-Bbang!” said Hayoung as she lost her grip, causing the teddy bear to fall onto the floor.

 

Eunji was about to bend down when a lady helped to get the teddy bear for her.

 

“Here you go.”

 

“Bbang!!” Hayoung snatched the bear from the lady’s hand and hugged it tightly.

 

“Hayoung, say thank you to the lady.” said Eunji in a stern tone.

 

“T-Thank you auntie!” The child bowed her head shyly.

 

“Hey, she’s not an auntie!”

 

“It’s okay.” The lady laughed.

 

“Chorong-ssi, we have a wheelchair bound passenger on platform 2. Assistance requested.”

 

“Roger that.” The lady pressed the button on the mic around her neck as she returned the bow. “Have a nice day ahead miss.” she said with a smile before rushing off into the distance.

 

Eunji looked at her for a moment, wondering why a pretty woman like her would be working at such a place. Her voice sounded unique too, a sound that you won’t find anywhere else in this world. 

 

For some reason, she wanted to hear her voice one more time.

 

“Stop daydreaming and start moving along, you’re blocking the way Miss CEO” whispered Bomi nudging Eunji with her elbow as her hands were occupied with the luggage.

 

“Right.” nodded Eunji.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After checking into their 5-star hotel suite located right beside the popular Haeundae Beach, Bomi settled all of the luggage neatly as Hayoung continued her nap in the fancy king-sized bed.

 

“This girl sleeps a lot, I swear she’s going to grow up to be a giant, I hope her future boyfriends wouldn’t mind the height difference oh wait, she could grow up liking girls too-” Bomi paused as she turned around to see her friend checking her phone. Noticing the serious look on her face, the girl knew something was up. And it wasn’t good.

 

“Anyways, what’s the plan? Are we going to Haeundae Beach, eat some seafood, go visit your mom or what? This is your idea and we don’t even have an itinerary for this random trip you suddenly decided on last night.” Bomi asked in a ramble but crossed her arms in response when Eunji did not reply her. “Hello, Miss Jung Eunji?” she repeated in a slow, stretched tone.

 

“Bom-ah…” She looked up with sorry eyes.

 

“What now?” Bomi sighed.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t say that to me. Say that to Hayoung. This trip is meant for her.”

 

“...”

 

The lady was mum, her head was down as she handed Bomi a black credit card.

 

“When Hayoung wakes up, take her to the beach or wherever she wants to go. Just give her everything that she to eat or do, she can even sleep all day in the hotel, that’s fine too. And tell her-”

 

“That mom is sorry.” Bomi interrupted as she stared at her unamused. “Please, I’ve already memorized this several times.

 

“It’s important. A crucial client happened to be in Busan. ”

 

“Yeah, yeah, all you ever do is disappoint y’know?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Yeah. Whatever.” Bomi sighed as she headed over to Hayoung’s side. “Go to wherever you need to go and do your . I’ll be here to give Hayoung the best Busan trip she’ll remember her whole life.”

 

“...Thanks Bom-ah.” said Eunji with much hesitation as she looked at Hayoung for a few seconds, before heading out. She had received a message that Lee Soo Man, the director of SM.Enterprise that owns nearly 60% of everything in South Korea happened to be in Busan for a business trip. There’s no way Eunji could allow this opportunity to pass by. By acquiring a powerful client into her company, she would build strong connections that will help to boost her business further.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mom….?”

 

“You’re finally awake.”

 

“Where’s mom?” asked Hayoung as she looked around the hotel room.

 

“Yeah...about that…”

 

A pout formed Hayoung’s lips as she looked down. Emotions filled her mind, most of them were anger. Eventually, angry tears flowed out onto her swollen cheeks.

 

“I hate her.”

 

“Hayoung-ah…”

 

“I hate my mom!” yelled Hayoung as she threw a tantrum.

 

“Now, now, Hayoung-ah, calm down! I know you’re angry, I’m angry too alright? But your mom is really busy. She really, really wanted to have this trip with you. It’s just that...something came up y’know.” said Bomi, blurting out her words as she embraced the child in her arms, trying to cool her anger and wiped her tears away.

 

“It’s always…like that…” she sobbed, frustrated that nothing could be done. She hated the fact that Eunji was always away. Everything that she had promised, shattered immediately. Hayoung wanted to believe in the small spark of hope and try to accept her mother for who she was. But in the end, she was hurt. Again, she was abandoned.

 

“Hey, we’re in Busan. It’s going to be just the two of us, but let’s have fun while we’re here okay?” asked Bomi, trying to distract Hayoung. “We can go to the beach, visit your grandparents or even eat all of the food you’ve been craving! Doesn’t that sound great?”

 

“...Mm…” nodded Hayoung but certainly, she was not in the mood for it.

 

“Cheer up. Aunt Bomi is here to make your day better! How about we go visit your grandparents, hm?”

 

“Okay…”

 

In all honesty, heading to Eunji’s parents was intentional. After all, Bomi would get a good break from the whole babysitting and Eunji’s mom makes great food. She could just relax, chill at her house and rant out her frustrations to Mrs. Jung. In fact, she doesn’t know why her friend would choose to pay for a high-class suite when they could just stay at her own home. Maybe she just doesn't want her mom to give her a long lecture on all the wrong things she has done in her life.

Either way, Bomi doesn’t care. She just wants to live freely. After all, she does get paid to babysit Hayoung because she works as a personal assistant at J&J Ltd.

 

For the rest of the day, Hayoung’s anger had completely dissipated as she played around the neighbourhood with the company of her grandparents. Bomi on the other hand, made a lame excuse and lied to the child that she was going to “find Eunji and give her a big scolding”. Actually, the girl wanted to have her own solo trip in Busan while using the black credit card that was supposed to be for Hayoung.

 

Of course, Bomi never listens.

 

“Damn Eunji, you’d be damn grateful you have such a great friend like me.” mumbled Bomi to herself as she took a sip from a can of beer she had just bought from the convenience store. She was lounging at the beach, sinking her feet deep into the soft sand as she gazed over the setting sun. Basked in a warm orange, it was a peaceful sight.

 

“At least, I’ve changed my mind about having 6 children in the future. Handling one kid is already too much workload for me.” she chuckled as she began to wonder how the future would look like from now. At the rate of how J&J Ltd is expanding and prospering quickly, she was positive that things were only going to get bigger.

 

“I hope that you won’t become like those people once they’ve gotten all the fortunes in the world, Eunji-ya.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“We are now approaching Chungcheong Station. Chungcheong Station. Please do not forget your personal belongings and have a nice day!”

 

The speakers echoed loudly on the train carriage as the speed began to slow down. A woman continued to look anxiously outside the window as she dialed a number. In her red uniform with a badge attached showing her name, she is one of the 12 attendants on duty. Each stop will have a 5 minutes break in between which gives it ample of time for passengers to get their luggage and other passengers to get on board.

 

But these 5 minutes, could mean a lot more to others.

 

“Hello? Naeun-ah, are you there already?”

 

“Yes we are, don’t worry about it.”

 

“What about Namjoo?”

 

“She’s normal. She promised that she won’t cry.”

 

“I see, that’s good.”

 

“Wait, hold on unnie. Namjoo-ya, where are you going? Where are you going?!”

 

“What’s-”

 

“Sorry, gotta hang up. She’s running off. I’ll meet you at the platform Chorong unnie.”

 

“Okay.”

 

The bells were ringing, sending signals that the train is approaching. A large crowd gathered and lined up at the platform as they each had their own luggage to carry, waiting to get on. But far from the crowd, is a young child who stood at the edge and stared into the far distance. She was waiting for the train to arrive. Or rather, she was waiting to meet her mother after a long month.

 

“The train is here! The train is here!” shouted Namjoo with excitement as she jumped up and down, witnessing the train appear from afar. As it continued to get nearer, the child ran after the train and soon disappeared into the crowd.

 

“Namjoo! What are you doing there?!” sighed Chorong with frustration as she could only watch her from the window. The child obviously couldn’t see her mom and was just blinded by the pure excitement of meeting her again. But for Chorong, duty comes first. She has only five minutes.

 

Five minutes to meet with her daughter.

 

“Namjoo, I told you not to run!” scolded Naeun as she helped Namjoo to squeeze out of the bustling crowd. The girl decided to cradle Namjoo in her arms. She didn’t want to lose her.

 

“The train is here! The train is here!” said Namjoo excitedly.

 

“Let’s go meet Mom.” smiled Naeun.  She couldn’t possibly scold the child after seeing her in such a good mood.

 

As the wheels came to a shrieking halt and the doors broke open, that was where the mess began. With people pushing left and right, Naeun held on as she could see Chorong from afar. She was busy making sure that passengers got off or assisted others who couldn’t find their seats.

 

“Mom!”

 

Chorong smiled in reply, watching Naeun and Namjoo from afar. It only took one second but she turned away as she had to return to work.

 

The clock began to tick.

 

Four minutes.

 

The crowd has died down. Everyone seem to know their way now. This cleared the path as Namjoo ran straight into Chorong’s arms.

 

“Mom!”

 

“Namjoo-ya!” smiled Chorong as she naturally lifted her up and gave her a hug. A wet peck on her forehead followed before the lady had to put the child down as she was not supposed to interact with anyone while still on duty. But Chorong doesn’t care, she is willing to break the rules just to meet her family for a few minutes.

 

“Mom, I memorized the timetable!”

 

“You did?”

 

“Yes! Do you want to hear it?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“2x1 is 2. 2x2 is 4. 2x3 is 6…”

 

Chorong gave her full attention on her daughter who continued to recite the multiplication table while Naeun looked on with a smile.

 

Three minutes in.

 

“6x6 is 36, 6x7 is 42…”

 

Chorong looked at the time. There wasn’t much time left.

 

“Namjoo-ya-“

 

“Unnie, please let her finish.” begged Naeun. Chorong replied with a nod as she bent down and looked at her daughter, fixing her hair as she grasped gently onto her shoulders. She knew what this meant, and she could feel nothing but guilt forming in her heart.

 

Two minutes.

 

“12x11 is 132 and 12x12 is 144!” said Namjoo as she took a breath and smiled, satisfied that she has memorized it perfectly.

 

“You did great, Namjoo-ya.” smiled Chorong sadly.

 

“You promised that you would come back home if I memorized the multiplication table.”

 

At that point, Chorong’s heart broke. But she had to hold it in.

 

One minute.

 

“Chorong-ssi, we have to get ready!” said one of the attendants.

 

“Alright!” Chorong turned her head back to her daughter. “Mom…has to go now.”

 

“But you promised…” pouted Namjoo.

 

“I know…mom is sorry…”

 

Chorong didn’t want to let her daughter go. If only time could freeze like this, it would be perfect. But it would take another month before she can see her again. She is losing a lot of precious time with her.

 

“Mom has to go now Namjoo-ya.” said Naeun as she took Namjoo away from the platform as Chorong had to return back into the train.

 

“I love you Namjoo-ya.” said Chorong.

 

“Mm.” Namjoo nodded as a smile formed on her lips. “Namjoo loves mom too!”

 

Chorong could do nothing but smile widely at her response. She had thought that Namjoo would break out into a tantrum, upset that she broke the promise. But, her daughter was just too kind-hearted and understanding. It was the part that made it even more emotional for her.

 

“Thank you Naeun-ah. I’ll text you later.” said Chorong as she hopped back onto the train.

 

Time was up.

 

Waving goodbye from the window, Chorong stayed at the edge until she could no longer see her daughter and Naeun. She would meet them again, in a month’s time, in the very same location, for only five minutes.

 

Inside the carriage, Chorong finally broke down. She could let her tears flow out because her daughter is not watching her. She did her best to look strong in front of Namjoo but honestly, she is just a young mother who is trying her best.

 

At that point, Chorong made a decision.

 

She did not want anyone to suffer anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Night has fallen in Chungcheon. In a small rural village where farmers and fishermen reside, everyone lives a simple, happy life and often, working in the city felt like a dream. In the Son Household, third-year high school student Son Naeun diligently cooked a simple meal inside the cramped kitchen while occasionally checking on Namjoo who quietly did her homework. Honestly, she’s a terrible cook and knows that Namjoo is always lying that her food tastes “good.” She should’ve learnt more from her older cousin, Chorong.

 

“Something smells good.”

 

“Oh, Dongwoon oppa you’re back from work.”

 

“Tough day.” sighed Dongwoon as he entered into the living room and smiled immediately at the sight of Namjoo. “And how is our Namjoo doing today? Are you happy after meeting your mom?”

 

“Yup!” nodded the child in response.

 

“Looks like you didn’t cry this time.”

 

“Namjoo won’t cry anymore. Namjoo is grown up!”

 

“Aww, our Namjoo has grown up! Oppa is proud!” Dongwoon ruffled the child’s hair slightly, before entering his room.

 

The Son siblings have been living in Chungcheon ever since their parents passed away from a tragic accident. Their only relative, The Parks gave them a small house to live in and go about their daily lives. In the midst of events that occurred over the past years, the Sons naturally took Namjoo in as her mother, Chorong had to work in Seoul. Working several jobs, she would send money every week to the family and The Sons were always grateful for her hardwork.

 

After dinner, Dongwoon made sure that Namjoo went to sleep. The child was given all the freedom to sleep on the only mattress in the house. The Son siblings on the other hand, sleep on the living room floor with layers of blankets stacked together. Carefully closing the door and making sure there was no sound, the man walked over to see his sister looking intently at a piece of paper.

 

“Wow, you really want to study in Seoul huh?”

 

“I’ve applied to 10 universities.”

 

“That’s a lot.”

 

“I want to make mum and dad proud.”

 

“We both do.”

 

The atmosphere became quiet at the mention of their parents.

 

“Anyways,” Dongwoon cleared his throat. “If you’re going to the university, then what about Namjoo? Who’s going to take care of her?”

 

“I haven’t told you yet oppa.”

 

“Told me what?”

 

“On the way home, I received a text from Chorong unnie.”

 

“What did she say?”

 

“She’s going to quit her job and return to Chungcheon.”

 

“W-W-What?! Is she serious?!”

 

“Yes. She doesn’t want to inconvenience anyone anymore. Unnie…is really kind-hearted.”

 

“Just like her daughter.” smiled Dongwoon, feeling thankful. “She’s done so much for us. Noona doesn’t have to do this.”

 

“It’s her decision oppa. After all, I think she just wants the best for all of us.”

 

“Chorong noona is a really good woman. I don’t know why bad luck always falls on her. It was only two years into her marriage when her husband passed away from cancer. Then, she has to live far away from her daughter to work. And now-“

 

“Oppa. Please watch your words.”

 

“Sorry. I just- I just feel really sorry for noona. I just want the best for her. I want her to be happy.”

 

“Me too, oppa.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thrilled at the thought of moving and studying in Seoul, Naeun was motivated to study even harder. She spent her weekends staying at home. After all, it’s not like she has many friends. People call her a “beauty nerd”. A pretty girl but all she does is study which is somewhat unappealing to most of the boys in Chungcheon High. Textbooks piled her desk as she highlighted important keywords, memorized and tried to understand difficult concepts. On a Saturday afternoon, her brother took Namjoo out to play at the playground which gave her complete privacy at home.

But the perfect silence was broken by the ring of the doorbell.

 

“Afternoon miss, you’ve got delivery. Just sign here.”

 

“Alright, thank you.” Naeun signed the paper and took the small envelope in. There was only one person who would send her a letter.

 

Her pen pal.

 

Call that old-fashioned in this generation, but Naeun finds it interesting. Although she has never met her pen pal before, it feels better than having an actual friend. Her pen pal goes by the alias of “redbear” while Naeun uses “silverhand”. Anyone would think that they were usernames of an online game.

 

A smile formed on her lips as she opened the letter that was written in a messy handwriting. She had gotten used to reading it and sometimes assumed if “redbear” was a guy. But Naeun is confident that “redbear” is a girl because of the cutesy writing style.

 

 

 

Dear silverhand,

 

By the time this letter has reached you, I guess you’re already studying for your exams. Fighting! I know you’re always stressed about your future and all that, but don’t worry too much about it! There’s a lot more than just aiming for the city! Just do your best okaaay? ^^

 

How is your niece doing? Did she like the present that I sent? I hope she feels better and doesn’t feel too down about living far from her mother. As for me, I spent the same boring days at work, frustrated at my own boss. Gee, I’m still surprised I haven’t got fired yet for how straight-forward I have been! Has anything good happened to you recently silverhand?

 

I wish that only good things come to you! <3

 

From,

redbear :3

 

 

 

Naeun giggled as she read the letter that her pen pal has sent. She has been exchanging letters with “redbear” for over a year now and the girl is confident that “redbear” is her best friend.

 

Taking a break from studying, the girl went straight to get a pen, paper and began to write her reply.

 

She couldn’t wait to tell “redbear” that her dream of studying and living in the city might actually come true. She couldn’t wait to tell her about Chorong’s decision to quit her job and spend more time with her daughter. There were just so many things to tell within the limitations of a pen and paper.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The weekend was short-lived. Soon, Bomi and Eunji found themselves back in the busy city of Seoul. Things were hectic as Eunji’s meeting with Lee Soo Man appeared to be successful as the million dollar giant expressed his interest in J&J Ltd. This meant Bomi had to run from place to place, running errands and all sorts.

 

Nothing has changed.

 

Bomi would arrive at Eunji’s apartment block in the morning to pick Hayoung up and send her to kindergarten. Then, she would start the day by performing checks of department stores around the city, discussing with suppliers and all sorts. It is only until evening where she would fetch Hayoung and start her babysitting duty until Eunji gets home; which is either midnight or even the next day. Her CEO friend has began to act indifferent, she was completely blinded by work. It feels as if she has forgotten that she even has a daughter waiting for her at home. It was like the Busan trip they had, was a total blatant lie.

 

What’s worse is that, Hayoung’s hatred towards Eunji has only gotten greater. It hurts to hear a young child saying that she doesn’t have a mother in this world.

 

“You’re my mom, Aunt Bomi.”

                                       

This was wrong. As much as she was happy that Hayoung likes her Aunt very much, but to this extent was far too much. Bomi had tried to tell Eunji many times to change. But the CEO never listens, just like Bomi herself.

 

“Hey, you have a package waiting for you downstairs.”

 

“Oh, alright. I’ll go get it.” said Bomi as she put down the telephone from her office desk and went to the lobby. It was a small envelope with a letter inside. The lady immediately grinned at the sight as she excitedly took it out, sat down at the lounge area as she read it one by one.

 

 

 

Dear redbear,

 

Thank you so much, my niece loves the teddy bear that you sent. She sleeps with it now and she won’t let me touch it… But I have good news to share!

 

My cousin told me that she’s going to quit her job and start living with her daughter. That means, I can actually have a chance at getting into a university in Seoul! I was so excited that I applied for 10 universities! Hahaha I think my dream is actually possible now! Thank you redbear, you’ve always told me to keep my head up and believe that opportunities will always come when they do.

 

From now, I’m going to study really hard, get good grades and hopefully receive admission from those 10 universities! Oh and don’t feel too stressed about your work redbear. Sometimes, I think that we are much happier at focusing on our own happiness than worrying over the happiness of others. If your CEO doesn’t listen nor understand the circumstances of what will happen, maybe he/she just needs to feel the pinch before realizing that it’s too late. I know it’s mean of me, but you’ve tried your best to warn your CEO. All that’s left is his/her decision.

 

I hope all is well.

 

From,

silverhand.

 

 

 

 

After reading the last line, Bomi looked up and stared at the large J&J Ltd company sign from the entrance. Maybe, her pen pal is right. If Eunji doesn’t listen, she will face the circumstances that would occur. The most she can do, is to guide Hayoung well. But that aside, the lady felt happy for her friend.

 

A sudden thought flashed through her mind.

 

If “silverhand” really came over to Seoul, would Bomi meet her? The lady is 100% positive that silverhand is a high school girl and that simply had her inner lesbian heart activated.

 

Maybe it’s a bit too far to think about dating her.

 

But Bomi wonders if she could meet her at least once in real life.

 

Wondering deeply, she headed to the receptionist counter and asked for a pen and paper. Returning to the lounge room, she began writing down her reply and decided to be brave.

 

“If you do come to Seoul, would it be okay if we meet in real life?”

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

A/N: Chojoo's scene was inspired from this video. Hope you enjoyed this chapter ^^