The Truth

The Best of Both Worlds

 

THE TRUTH

Jaehwan leant against the kitchen counter, cradling and . He watched as Ravi moved around the kitchen, opening and closing cabinets to gather the necessary utensils.

“I’m sorry I can’t be of any help,” Jaehwan said, shyly scratching his neck. “I’m a total idiot when it comes to cooking or baking…or anything related to making food.”

Ravi sniggered as he pulled open a drawer to retrieve some dog treats. “You know, I have no idea what I’m doing, too.”

“Hehe,” the other laughed, struggling against ’s desire to crawl out of his arms towards the packet of dog treats. “Hey, hey. Be patient,” he whispered to the dog. “Daddy’s making you a birthday cake.”

“Let’s see…two cups of water,” Ravi squinted at the recipe on his tablet. “Umm, what do they even mean by ‘cups’? I have huge ones and tiny ones.”

Jaehwan giggled. Ravi looked like a doting househusband as he whizzed around the kitchen with an apron around his waist, but his underlying silliness and cluelessness made the scene even more endearing to look at.

“Can I have some background music?” Ravi turned to him with a grin. “Haven’t had the chance to hear those stunning vocals of yours live.”

Jaehwan gave a shy laugh. “What do you want me to sing?”

Ravi opened his mouth to reply, but Jaehwan’s mobile began to ring.

“Uhh, wait…give me a moment,” Jaehwan said, reaching for his phone in his pocket. Ravi nodded to him as he answered the call.

“Hyuk?”

“I NEED YOUR HELP, HYUNG!” Hyuk screamed through the phone.

“What-“

“Shhhhh! Do me a favour and just stay quiet,” Hyuk continued. “Where are you right now?”

“But you told me to stay quiet?” Jaehwan raised an eyebrow as Ravi eyed him weirdly.

“Just answer as I ask. Don’t mention anything else that’s unnecessary.”

“Umm, I’m at a friend’s place.”

“That Ravi guy?”

“How did you know?” Jaehwan straightened his back and stopped leaning against the counter. He glanced at Ravi, but the man had gone back to busying himself with food preparation. “Oh right, his brother…is that Hongbin dude you always talk about.”

“Everything going okay there?” Hyuk prompted. “Like, did you mention anything about who you’re travellin- supposed to be travelling with?”

“What do you mean?? Why can’t I talk about that?” Jaehwan frowned, recalling how Hongbin had attacked him moments before – right when he was about to mention Hyuk. “You and Hongbin are both acting so weird.”

“Answer my question, hyung. Have you mentioned anything to Ravi?”

“No, I guess? I mean, he does know that I...I’ve parted ways with two other friends, that’s all.”

Jaehwan shrugged at Ravi, who had turned to look at him with a puzzled expression.

“Okay. Good. Now drop whatever you’re doing. You need to come and save me, hyung,” Hyuk continued. “Like right now. Please. It’s urgent. Hongbin’s holding a knife against my throat.”

“Hongbin??” Jaehwan asked. “But he’s at home-“

“NO HE’S NOT,” Hyuk cried. “He’s beside me like, right now.”

“But where are you?? And where’s L- “

“SHHHHH!” Hyuk hissed. “I told you not to mention anything unnecessary. Leo’s gone off to meet some people. He’s not contactable right now, period.”

“You’re the only one who can save me now, please,” he added. “I don’t know what I did to piss Dumbbin off, but he wants to kill me right now. He just barged into my hotel room a few minutes ago.”

There was a short silence.

“What’s up with you, Han Sanghyuk?” Jaehwan crossed his arms and frowned. “I know you inside-out. Your prank calls won’t ever work on me. Hongbin is at home, and I know it. And just because you’re upset at what I’ve done, it doesn’t mean I’m at your beck and call now.”

“It’s not a prank- “

“If you’re talking about Hongbin, I think I saw him leave the house like ten minutes ago,” Ravi interrupted. “What’s going on, though?”

Jaehwan stared back at Ravi, his eyes wide. “Wait, really?”

Ravi nodded. “He was really weird though, holding a pair of scissors and all. I thought he was perhaps off to tend the garden...which he rarely does.”

Jaehwan froze in his spot. Now that Hyuk mentioned it, it was indeed strange that Hongbin had reacted so aggressively back then. He looked down at the saliva stains on his shirt.

“Lee Jaehwan!! Are you there!”

“Oh- yes, yes. Holy …You’re at the old hotel?” he replied anxiously, placing on the floor and grabbing his items off the counter. “I’ll be there soon- “

Now you believe me,” Hyuk rolled his eyes. “Listen up. Don’t ing tell Ravi about this. It’s Hongbin’s instruction. Just come here alone. Quick.”

Jaehwan stared helplessly at Ravi, who returned him with an extremely confused expression. What’s happening, he mouthed.

“I…But, Hyuk- “

“DON’T,” Hyuk screamed. “Please. He doesn’t want Ravi to know. Just comply, won’t you? Or are you ready to collect my corpse…” he whined, his voice breaking. Jaehwan thought he might have heard a few sniggers in the background, but he figured he was probably hearing things.

“I…fine,” he gave an exasperated sigh. “Han Sanghyuk…you’re really a troublemaker.”

“Hurry up,” Hyuk replied.

He ended the call and started packing up. “Ravi, I’m sorry but I have something urgent…”

“What? That was Hyuk, right?” Ravi questioned. “You guys were talking about Hongbin, too?”

Jaehwan bit his lip. “I don’t know what’s going on, really, but I can’t tell you much either…sorry. I’ll explain to you over the phone.”

Ravi frowned.

“I’ll see myself out,” Jaehwan bowed apologetically as he headed for the door. “I…I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to another time.”

He turned back around momentarily and reached for Ravi’s cheeks, to the other’s surprise.

“You’ve got…some flour on your face.” He quickly wiped it off with his finger and gave Ravi a small grin before turning to leave again.

“Wait, Jaehwan- “ Ravi called, but the man had already left.

He slumped back against the counter, eyeing his unfinished cake. He lifted his hand to cradle his cheek, feeling the warmth of Jaehwan’s momentary touch.

“Why am I always abandoned?” he sighed. He stared at , who was hovering around at his feet.

He took in a deep breath. “No matter what, let’s finish what we started.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

“HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA!” Hongbin’s voice echoed around the room as soon as the call ended. Beside him, Hyuk was clutching his stomach in an uncontrallable laughing fit.

“I can’t believe this,” Hongbin managed to comment as he wiped his tears from his eyes. “All because of you, I’m pulled into this crazy .”

“It was your idea,” Hyuk rolled his eyes. “You forced me to pull this on my good friend. I’m actually really guilty.”

“Isn’t this your forte?” Hongbin scoffed. “Prank-calling. And Lee Jaehwan actually believed you.”

“What do you know?” Hyuk replied. “I’m experienced in this. There’s a need to be convincing. That’s why you’re here right now.”

Hongbin rolled his eyes. “You know, I left the house really excited. I kept telling myself that this pair of scissors isn’t just a prop – that I’m actually on my way to end your ing life. I was so ready.”

“Why didn’t you do it, then?” Hyuk lifted his chin to challenge him. “Or have you perhaps realised that I’m not really that detestable?”

“I’ll do it. Take my word. But not today,” Hongbin scoffed. He looked away, his voice falling to a soft murmur. “But to be fair, prank-calling is actually kinda fun. If you’re not the victim, that is.”

“You see?? And you hated me for it. I was just having fun,” Hyuk replied. “But…for real, today will be the last time I’m doing it.”

Hongbin glanced at him and smirked. “Why the change?”

Hyuk shrugged. “Don’t know. Been thinking these days. It’s a crazy world out there, and not everyone has the time for my childish antics.”

Hongbin raised an eyebrow. Hyuk did really seem a little different these days.

“I’m surprise you co-operated with me, actually,” he eyed Hyuk. “With how protective you are about that man. How you always insist that he’s not that bad.” His face grew stern and anger clouded his eyes. “But really, thank you for helping me with this. Ravi’s only beginning to get better and I don’t want Jung Leo’s presence to send him back to his misery again.”

Hyuk bit his lip. “I…It’s just that I understand where you’re coming from,” he mumbled. “I can tell how protective you are of your brother.”

He turned to Hongbin, looking at him in the eye. “But,” he started. “I’m not changing my stance. I’m gonna repeat this again – you really need to be more understanding of Leo.”

Hongbin clenched his fists, reaching for the pair of scissors on the table. “Understanding of what?” he glared at Hyuk. “He- “

“HYUK??” a voice screamed as the door flew open. Jaehwan’s jaw dropped as he saw Hongbin and Hyuk frozen in their spots, with the former holding a pair of scissors before Hyuk’s face.

“Drop. That. Please,” he whimpered, his voice shaking as he took a few steps towards the two. “I don’t know what Hyuk has done, but we can always talk things over. Ravi won’t want a murderer for a brother.”

Hyuk bit his lip to stifle a chuckle. “No, hyung, it’s not what you think- “

“He’s still young, Hongbin…” Jaehwan continued. “Forgive him for whatever childish things he’s done. He’s still growing. You can’t end his life at such a young age.”

Hongbin glanced at Jaehwan, then back at Hyuk. He sighed and put back the scissors, motioning Jaehwan to a chair.

“Have a seat, Ken,” he smiled a little. “I need to get some things clear to you. If you wanna continue hanging out with my brother.”

Jaehwan frowned at Hongbin, turning to Hyuk in bewilderment. “W-what’s going on?”

“Just listen, hyung,” Hyuk chirped. “I…well, wasn’t really in danger, but we’re kinda holding an emergency meeting, anyway.”

Jaehwan narrowed his eyes and glared at Hyuk. “You…you asked me to drop everything for this?”

“No, listen,” Hongbin cut in. “It’s really important. It’s about Ravi.”

Jaehwan’s ears perked up at the mention of Ravi’s name. He reluctantly took a seat, cursing internally at how Hyuk had duped him here.

“You see…” Hongbin motioned to Hyuk to say something.

“Umm you know Leo?” Hyuk started. “We can’t let him meet Ravi. We can’t let Ravi know he’s here.”

“Why?” Jaehwan frowned. “They know each other? Are they enemies or something-“

“Yes. No. I don’t know,” Hongbin replied. “It’s complicated. Just do us a favour and not mention anything about this travel companion of yours to Ravi.”

Jaehwan glanced back and forth at Hyuk and Hongbin. “Was that why Hyuk wanted me to be so secretive about all this?”

Hyuk nodded. “Right now Leo knows not to meet him. But we can’t ensure that they run into each other by accident. Or that Ravi knows of it because of a slip of your tongue.”

“He’d better not look Ravi up,” Hongbin raised his voice. “Hyuk, please. Get him to stay away from us. If you wanna be a third party in their relationship, at least be a responsible one.”

Jaehwan paused in deep thought, his eyes lighting up suddenly. “You mean Leo’s…that man who left him?” he questioned, turning to Hongbin. “Your…best friend??”

Hongbin frowned back at Jaehwan. “So he told you everything,” he scoffed. “You should’ve said so earlier. It’d be so much easier. And we wouldn’t have had to resort to this.”

“Ravi only just told me about it today,” Jaehwan started. “Plus, I didn’t know that man was Leo all along.”

“But…wait…” he turned to Hyuk. “Third party?”

Hongbin leaned back in his chair. “Tell him, Hyuk.”

Hyuk opened his mouth, but no words came out. It’s not like this.

“I’ll say it,” Hongbin snapped. “Leo fell for this guy right here and he fabricated a whole network of lies just to leave Ravi. What a coward.”

Jaehwan froze. He knew Leo did seem like he liked Hyuk a lot.

“It wasn’t for…spiritual…enlightenment?”

Hongbin threw his head back in laughter, and it scared Jaehwan. “If it was, he wouldn’t be here on a ing vacation. Frankly, that was the most stupid reason he could have come up with.”

Hyuk kept silent.

Jaehwan slowly nodded. It disturbed him how Ravi had to go through so much misery because of someone who had a change of heart. It was already tragic in itself, but he was more furious that Leo had Ravi believing in what was not even the truth the whole time.

“Guess I was right. About my reservations about this friend of yours,” he told Hyuk quietly.

Hongbin eyed Jaehwan. “Finally got someone else in my camp.”

Hyuk bit his lip and clenched his fists discreetly. It bothered him so much how Leo was being resented for the wrong things, but he knew he could not breathe a word to Hongbin nor Jaehwan. It’s so tough, he thought. Being the one who knows everything.

“I’ll be getting back to your house,” Jaehwan turned to Hongbin, standing up and getting ready to leave. “Ravi’s still waiting.”

“Not so fast,” Hongbin said. “I need your promise that you’ll not breathe a word to Ravi.”

Jaehwan nodded. “Rest assured I’ll do that,” he replied. “Are you coming with me? Let’s go.”

“No, not yet…” Hongbin replied hesitantly. “We need to figure out an explanation for Ravi when we get back.”

“That’s what happens,” Hyuk remarked quietly, and the two men turned to look at him. “A layer upon a layer of lies just because of secrets that cannot be revealed. I’m tired of this.”

Hongbin raised an eyebrow. “What do you know? It’s not even that hard for you. Just stay in your lane and do what you’re ought to do.”

Hyuk felt his blood boil, but he remained quiet.

“Let’s go,” Hongbin continued, motioning to Jaehwan. “Guess we’ll just figure out something along the way.”

He turned to to Hyuk, giving him a last look. “Nonetheless, thank you for today,” he mumbled softly.

“Wait,” Hyuk stood up and walked over to his open luggage. He dug out a few pieces of clothing and threw them at Hongbin. “You’re welcome.”

“W-what’s this?” Hongbin cried, catching the items as quickly as he could. He frowned as he realised how the clothes looked very familiar. “You ing stole my underwear?”

Jaehwan giggled in the background.

“Figured I’d return them to you during my time here,” Hyuk shrugged. “They were meant as spares. If, you know, I ran out of mine.”

Hongbin narrowed his eyes. “Thanks for reminding me that I forgot my scissors,” he seethed, reaching over the table to pick it up. He brandished the weapon before Hyuk’s face, threatening him yet again. “You’re still as ing childish as ever.”

“See you back at the dorm!” Hyuk called out as Jaehwan pulled Hongbin out of the room before the man could do anything else. “And Jaehwan hyung – arcade tomorrow?”

“You’re not angry with me anymore?” Jaehwan popped his head back round the door.

Hyuk shook his head. “I’m not.” He paused for some thought. “You know what? Bring Ravi and Hongbin along.”

Jaehwan grinned. Beside him, Hongbin furrowed his brows. I didn’t say I was coming, he rolled his eyes.

Hyuk beamed back, but the smile on his lips vanished as soon as Jaehwan closed the door.

I’m sorry, Leo, he thought. But they have to learn the truth.

 

-----------------------------------------------------