Legacy

Healing Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yeri.. I'm sorry, but there's no other way I can say this. Her tumour is out of control. Her life is in danger. It's only a matter of time." That's what Dr Wang said... Hearing this news was like having a gun to my head and being told not to let my heart beat. 

Today was Christmas and the question that Seulgi asked last night was stuck in my head. My emotions are all over the place as I waited for Joy outside the hospital. My shaky fingers finally came to a stop after running restlessly through my hair. I bit down on my lip trying not to burst into tears. This is not going to help; it's not going to change anything. No, I mustn't give up, but I'm not over it. I never will be. I wanted to see Joy grow old while being able to achieve her dreams. Is that so much to ask? Why her? I've stopped raging at God for this outcome. It's too soon for Joy to be taken up into heaven. 

Then I saw Joy coming out of the hospital in her hospital gown with her hair down.

"There you are Joy!" I waved with a smile. She limped over to me with an aching smile on her face. "Dam, you're looking more energetic by the day!" I encouraged. Actually, she looked really weak. Her illness left her pale as a ghost, face masking the ordeal inside. "So, ready to be in a room filled entirely of Garden Phlox flowers like you wanted after when you get better?" I teased while helping her into my car.

"Why so soon? We can always just see them when I get better." She said laughing. True, but I just felt the need for Joy to start doing the top 10 things she wanted to do now because I don't think she'll get the chance later on... 

"Seeing them early in full bloom is the best. We're nearly there anyway. Not only do you want my bunch but, you want to be surrounded by them! It's like I haven't brought enough for you. Feisty hehe." Ever since she said she wanted this, I started planting several of them in a greenhouse that the owner has allowed, looking after them in the last three months.

I parked on the side of the road. Joy's face was in awe once I got her out. "Like it? Wait till you see the inside." I started pulling her in, "Ah!" She tripped on a few sticks, and I came to her aid, "Here, hop on." I bent down waiting for her to take up on my offer. We began making our way down the garden path. At times I felt like she was losing energy and maybe I shouldn't have taken her out. She'd be better off resting in the hospital. Once I stepped foot into the greenhouse, the overwhelming smell energised me. I turned my head to observe her cute reaction. She automatically lifted her head from my shoulder and gasped. Little by little, her smile widened into her usual gummy smile. That smile was so similar. It was just as bright as the one in the photo on her bed table. I smiled at her and sat on one of the benches. "There you have it, can tick this one off the list for sure." 

This greenhouse was different. It had rows of benches with a tall statue of Jesus in front of us. 

"I-it looks like another universe that's only filled with these... I can't believe you did all this..." She burst into tears from the joy.

"Thank you, Yeri!" She tightened her grip behind me with the last of her strength and dug her cheek into mine. "The fragrance is intensified, take it all in before we go back out to the old boring oxygen lol." We sat in silence as we took everything in. The warm sunlight, the smell, the little fireflies.... this was perfect to send her off. I don't know what she's thinking right now, but even though I'm acting happy for her to see, I felt like it wasn't enough. My heart felt as if my blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. My melancholy mood hung over me like a black cloud, raining my personal sorrow down on me. Even the flowers looked black and white to me.

"Oh no, look at that one... It's dying..." She whispered while pointing. My eyes moved towards the direction of the direction she led to. There, I saw a shrivelled up flower. 

"Does it remind you of someone?"

Whoa, wth did she mean by that? I didn't think much of it but little did I know...

"Don't worry! I'll be able to fix it up in no time!" I said happily. She rested her chin on my shoulder, "After this, we'll celebrate the end of our internship at home kay? Gosh, one year here... a lot of things have happened. The best thing was that I was able to meet you." I heard her exhale sharply trying to laugh. "Have you ever felt like you could trust someone so much to like them?" I could barely hear her voice but was able to recall where I heard that from. I turned my head towards her; her eyes were closed. Where did I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter