Sentiments Aligned

Healing Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was early in the morning, and Joy's been transported to AWH. The anesthetist is currently putting Joy to sleep. Dr Irene, Dr Yubin and Dr Wang are putting on their surgical clothing along with me. I was asleep just a few hours ago, and now it's come to this. So quick. Seulgi and Wendy were waiting outside of the operational theatre and are worried sick. 

"Intramedullary tumour operation is risky because the spinal cord is very thin and fragile. Slight damage during the operation may have serious aftereffects like lower limb paralysis." Dr Wang emphasised. Yea that's right just rub that in my face doc. Thanks for putting more pressure on me as if I didn't have enough already -.-

This time, I wasn't as scared because I've done countless surgeries. This was like my 35th one? Or was it the 36th? Time flies doesn't? I'm over half way through my one-year internship at AWH. 

We entered the operational theatre. This one was more advanced and not like the usual ones. It was new, and I heard from Wendy and Seulgi that this room had lasers, intraoperative MR imaging and is capable of 3D imaging of virtual patients... but I'm sure we won't need any of them for our purpose. We just chose this room because it's more closer to the laboratory. Therefore, we can operate with more accuracy and efficiency. Luckily, I'm in charge of handing the surgeons equipment because I really didn't know how to use any of those new tools. I can only recognise them.

I bit my tongue once, but I bit it so hard that it bled. That wasn't my intention... I just had wake myself up so that I could concentrate. There was a significant drop in numbers of nurses. Two other nurses beside me are helping. I was made the prime nurse by Dr Wang just before we went in. Talk about sudden, but this is what my study will have to pay off to.

We all got to our positions. The LED lights focused on Joy's back, and the microscope was situated above the surgeons ready for them to come down when requested. Dr Wang is the AC, Dr Irene as the 1st assistant and Dr Yubin is the 2nd assistant. It began almost immediately. I couldn't see Joy's face because it was already covered and she was face down because we'll be working on her spine. 

A range of tools was already in their hands. For example, a knife, a monopolar and a high-speed drill ready to pierce skin. It was like a horror story. They dug deep into her flesh down towards her spine. The sounds it made was disturbing af.

They were cutting open the spinal dura to confirm the tumour location. Approximately 15 minutes had passed.

"Lights out, mic in." Dr Wang requested. The room darkened even more. I could see her spine, but it was covered with blood. My nurse counterparts were able to clear up the blood. 

"Forceps left hand, micro scissors right." Dr Irene called while looking at me. I swiftly lifted up the tools and placed them in Dr Irene's hands. With that, she started to chip away the surface of her spine. I can't bear to watch, but I have to. 

I should be able to see a tumour or at least a bit of the tumour by now, but since I couldn't, it meant that the tumour must be really deep inside her spinal chord. Oh no...

A few more torturing minutes past.

"Ethilon 4.0." Dr Yubin asked. The nurse passed the tool down to me, and I passed it to her. This was an odd name for a tool if you ask me lol but its purpose was just for soft-tissue approximation and ligation. 

"I see the tumour." Dr. Wang exclaimed as Dr. Yubin removed her hands from the tumor. All heads were turned towards it simultaneously. "Yeri, what will we do now?" Dr Irene asked. What? Testing me in the middle of such a critical surgery?!

"Uh, we have to get a specimen of the tumour to test," I answered quickly so that we can all focus back on Joy. They nodded. If they have time to test me like that, it must mean that the surgery is going smoothly for them. Still, it doesn't matter if the operation goes smoothly because it all com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter