Fifth Wheel

His Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Saturday comes around, it still didn't sink in that I had survived another semester.

For my last class this semester, we were to do public speaking for our final exam, with a podium, mic, and everything. Although we presented at our classroom, and my audience were my peers, it was still unnerving to look up and speak with confidence when your final grade was at stake. But I pulled through, after calming down at my introduction. My professor had acknowledged that I did good after answering her additional questions.

 

I got out of class with a smile on my lips, only ceasing when I exit the building. As I walk around campus, I notice a spring in my step, despite being in heels and wearing an a-line skirt. Me wearing heels and a skirt only happens when I need to look professional. I'd choose comfort than style in a heartbeat.

Without any student responsibilities to uphold or workload to deal with, I feel like I can finally breathe. Now that I know I deserve the break, I can properly enjoy it.

"Aerin!" Baekhyun calls.

It surprise me that it takes only one word to recognize the owner of the voice. It's rare for him to call me by name, but I realized I like how nice my name rolls of his tongue.

I turn back and see him with two others by his side, awestruck by their sudden appearance.

They look like groomsmen, identically clad in white button down shirts and blazers, striding down like models in a runway. Baekhyun was fairly shorter, but he still looks so dashing with his bangs parted in the middle, and soft curls on the ends of his hair. He always dresses so casual, so seeing him this formal appalls me.

Even Chanyeol, who would dress in pajamas everyday if he could, look so classy with his suit. They're normally goofy, loud, and somewhat childish. Because I am used to seeing them almost everyday -all four of the guys, it kind of takes away the obvious -that they're actually handsome. My mind is clouded with how Baekhyun looks, but my eyes soon fall on the new face beside them. 

The stranger's blonde hair accentuates his pale skin. He was tall, almost as tall as Chanyeol. He looks chic and gives off a cold impression, but he was undeniably good-looking too.

Baekhyun steps forward, making his body fairly close to mine when he comes to a stop, sending butterflies to my stomach. 

"Where you heading to?" He asks curiously.

"Yo brunch-mate," Chanyeol greets.

"Back to the dorm," I eye them each hesitantly, feeling a bit uneasy as these three overdressed, and handsome men towers me. I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing that attractive guys have me surrounded.

Either way I feel my throat drying up, because of Baekhyun's stare. "I just.. finished my last exam."

"Us too," Baekhyun replies. He eyes my outfit, eyebrows raising slightly. I think it's the first time they've seen me dressed up, and for that, I grew anxious. I probably look weird with the extra make-up I put on too. "You did group presentations too?"

I shook my head, swallowing the lump in my throat secretly. "Public speaking."

"We presented a business proposal, that's why we look like we're in a swanky acapella group," Chanyeol explains.

"Or we could just be going to a wedding," the blonde states. Those were my exact thoughts as they were approaching me.

"Oh yeah," Chanyeol exclaims, as if remembering something important -like introducing me to the unknown guy with them. 

"Aerin, this is Sehun," he his head at the stranger. "He's the bratty kid in one of our class, but he can be less annoying if he wanted to."

"The introduction was uncalled for," he spats at Chanyeol -who gave a thumbs up. But when he looks in my direction, the icy expression was gone. "I'm Oh Sehun," he gives me a friendly grin, holding his hand out.

Surprised at the change, I dip my head and proceed to shake his hand shyly while I give him my full name. He looks down at me in amusement.

"What a pretty name for a pretty girl," he smirks. "Wanna go out sometime?"

I drop my hand and dart to the boys, shocked at his forwardness. Chanyeol yells at him, his volume making me wince.

"Don't even try with her," Baekhyun retorts. "Seriously, you flirt with every female on campus like you have nothing better to do in life."

"Geez, I was just joking," he defends. "I'm inviting her out as a friend."

"Sure you were," Baekhyun says, sarcasm heavy in his tone.

"If you hit on her, I'll hit you. She's the only one sane in our friend group." Chanyeol threatens, his fist up in the air. I unconsciously chuckle at the last sentence. 

"I forgot to mention he's a bigger flirt than Chen," he says, peering at me. "But at least Chen got a girlfriend out of it," he laughs.

Sehun's face hardens as Baekhyun joins the laughter -his laugh, contagious, and eyes disappearing into thin slits. 

"Yeah, I don't see you with Soojin either Baekhyun," he retorts.

Soojin. Chanyeol had briefly mentioned her before, but hearing her name again is bringing out a certain emotion in me that I'm too afraid to acknowledge and admit.

The shorter scoffs. "Didn't know you were so concerned about my love life."

They halt when Chanyeol's phone buzzes, "Everyone single, zip it." Then immediately brings his phone out to check. Even I purse my lips at his warning.

"We're catching a movie. Care to join us?" He asks in a lighter tone, eyes on his phone.

Baekhyun and Sehun stares at me expectantly. I am free the entire afternoon, but I don't want to get in their way. Especially when it's just me and the boys, and I know I'll be awkward around Sehun.

"I wouldn't want to intrude," I mutter, biting my lip.

"It'll be fun," Baekhyun promises.

"Come with us, it'll be nice to get to know you," Sehun adds, wiggling his eyebrows.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes at Sehun. "I regret introducing you to Chen."

"My girlfriend's coming too, Rin. So the more, the merrier," Chanyeol beams while putting his phone away.

"Okay," I answer unsurely. I mean it is a good idea to spend more time with my friends before leaving for home. "What are we watching?"

"Anything but romance, please" Sehun pleads, surprising me at his movie choice.

 

Chanyeol fetches Yeonhee after her exam. 

Baekhyun, Sehun, and I, wait for them near the front gate in Sehun's car, so we could all leave together. He and Baekhyun were in the front, while I was alone in the back seat.

While waiting, Sehun managed to ask several questions about me, that even the guys had never asked before. They were harmless, but he shot question after question. The questions going from favorite color to a dozen either-or questions. I wanted to praise him for being able to keep up the conversation, despite my short and dead-end responses. With his cold appearance, I didn't expect him to be so lively and talkative. He reminds me of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter