Three in a Row

His Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Kyungsoo and I got paired up for an assignment to be presented in class during finals week -commonly known as hell week, we tried to get it done as soon as possible. It's days away, so we're desperately trying to finish before then. 

We just finished collecting all the resources we could find, and combined our individual research together. All that's left is to review our material, then make and prepare for the presentation.

 

Kyungsoo and I are still typing away on our laptops in the library, until a yawn passes my lips. I tear my eyes from the screen, now feeling the strain from staring so long.

Kyungsoo yawns too, drawing his chair back. The chair screeches on the ground, causing heads to turn our way. He immediately dips his head, apologizing at the bunch that threw small daggers. 

I look up and notice how vacant seats from earlier have been occupied. Everyone is equipped with laptops, or a thick book, and sheets of paper is lying on top of the tables. It really must be busy for everyone. There's still students piling up at the library, faces all worn out or void of any emotion. I think I'll be mirroring that expression for the week to come.

I stare at Kyungsoo. He is stretching his neck either sides, short cracks echoing while he does so.

He calls out to me, whispering.

"Let's grab dinner first?" he inquires. He shuts his laptop carefully to not make other noise and disturb the crowd. "I'm famished."

"Yeah, let's eat before continuing," I say.

Both of us need a break to let our minds relax. Kyungsoo is stressed, but he's good at hiding it. He likes to take his studies seriously, and doesn't just settle for something passable. I'm jealous, however, that Kyungsoo looks calm, cool, and collected, throughout this struggling period that tests your mental, and physical well-being. Hell week hasn't even started and I'm already a mess.

My laptop and I have been inseparable this past week. I'm honestly convinced that this inanimate object is starting to loathe me. Because like me, it's been getting only short hours of sleep per day. I'm afraid one day it'll give up on me at a crucial time.

I save my work before closing my laptop. The books we used are scattered around the desk, each open at a different page. As Kyungsoo is packing up his things; laptop, notepad, and pens, and all, I close the books and neatly stack it up by the edge of the table.

Kyungsoo stares at me for a moment, a smile playing on his lips. I give him a questioning look, but he only returns another smile. He gets the 3 remaining books by his side of the table, and place it on the stack. With that, I grab my laptop and bottle of water, shove it down my tote bag, and we exit the hall quietly. 

"Chen's picking us up," Kyungsoo says.

"Is he joining us for dinner?"

"Yeah, dinner's on him. For once, he's actually spending money on us," he answers. "Someone finally woke up on the right side of the bed."

 

"Took you long enough." Chen is smirking, leaning against his gray car as he eyes Kyungsoo and I walking up to him. 

"Hey, Rin," he waves.

I wave back at him, smiling.

"Your conscience finally knocked some good sense into you?" Kyungsoo teases.

"Nope, just feeling generous today," he comments, pushing off his body and casually opening the door on the passenger's side. He rests one of his arms on top of the door as he holds it open. 

Chen sends us a cheeky smile as he bobs his head for us to climb inside. I hear Kyungsoo, snorting faintly.

Kyungsoo wordlessly opens the door to the back, leaving me to sit next to Chen. I slide into the passenger's seat and Chen closes the door for me, before jogging over the opposite side. I fasten my seatbelt, and soon, our designated driver joins us in the car. After wearing his seatbelt, he starts the car, and speeds off.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

Chen glances at me, before darting his eyes back on the road. "Home. I ordered pizza on my way back to get you."

"You called while you were out?" Kyungsoo gapes, tone a little higher than usual. "Chanyeol and Baekhyun will be so pissed."

Chen shrugs. "They've done it before too."

"I'm never staying at home when you're out," Kyungsoo vows.

"I'll pay them back," Chen chuckles heartily. "I just wanted pizza, and deliveries are way faster."

 

Chen parks the car on the empty lot across the street, as the parking lot directly outside their apartment is already full. He asks not to come into the apartment without him, joking he's scared to die in the hands of his other two housemates. So we wait for him at the lobby before going in the elevator together.

Kyungsoo is walking ahead, and Chen is warily walking behind me.

"Rin, stay close," he says.

 

Once we arrive, Kyungsoo pulls out his keys, only for the door to suddenly swing open. A glaring Baekhyun is holding the door. Chen ducks his head before he could spot him.

Baekhyun looks fresh out the shower. Each lock of his damp hair is crossing a different direction, covering most part of his forehead. A towel hangs loose over his shoulder. Spots around the neckline of his shirt is wet. He's just wearing an oversized plain white shirt and grey shorts, but he looks so good in it. 

I give him a sheepish smile to greet him. He smiles genuinely when our eyes lock. I feel my heart pounding, and this time, I don't even question it.

Baekhyun looks absolutely gorgeous. Maybe this is the reason why I feel butterflies in my stomach every time his brown eyes stare into mine. Maybe I'm physically attracted to him. He is, after all, not ugly. Or maybe I'm in denial and am developing a small crush on him. 

I peer down and gulp nervously. I don't want it to be the latter.

"Kim Jongdae!" Baekhyun calls, gritting his teeth.

Chen's hands is gripping my shoulder for support, arms pressing in between his body and my back. He's shielding himself, by using me. He really is something else.

I turn my head to try and see what he was doing to avert myself from Baekhyun. Facing sideways, Chen slides down lower, crouching to completely hide from Baekhyun. 

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter