Four Walls

His Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Yuna gave up sleep on the first day of hell week, I didn't expect that I would follow.

Tonight, Yuna is rewarding herself with a good night's sleep. I, however, want to finish all my individual reports. Although I still have time before Friday rolls around, I'll try finishing them by today. 

So I don't interrupt Yuna by having the lights on, or feel jealous and give in to my bed, I crash the no-sleep over at Kyungsoo's, suggested by Hayoung.

Hayoung knows she'll be productive around Kyungsoo. So after a round of incessant pleading, and a free dinner, he obliged.

But it's more like Kyungsoo agreed to her impromptu sleep-over right then and there when she arrived at their dorm, and the boys ganged up on her in return for good accommodation.

 

We are occupying the living room, the ambience quiet and serious when Chen left us.

Chen has the remaining week easy. Most of his requirements are done, some of them even passed before deadline. Although he has the freedom to submit to the likes of his bed, he spends an hour or two with us, babbling away anything off the top of his head while we impulsively nod every 2 minutes, until sleep hits him.

I am on the floor, back against the skirt of the co h with  my laptop perched on the table. Kyungsoo is at my right, in the same position, eyes on the screen of his laptop.

All I can hear are keys pressing and sharp clicks of the mouse, and Baekhyun's low humming to a song I can't distinguish, but it has a familiar ring to it. The pace he's humming is slow, making the melody more endearing. 

Everyone is wearing loose shirts and sweatpants, like it's compensation for wearing something cozy instead of pajamas. Our attire is still perfect for sleeping though.

Hayoung is in front of us, eyebrows and nose scrunching at her screen like it's the first time she's ever encountered the device. Every 10 minutes or so, she gets up to ask Kyungsoo a question on her paper. Chanyeol is lying down on his stomach on the yoga mat with the comforter he placed as a bed sheet. He isolates himself by putting on headphones, the music from it slightly blaring through the quiet room. Baekhyun is occupying one side of the l-shape couch, legs sprawled out, and laptop on top of his stomach.

I can't even bare to look at the clock, but I know it's way past midnight. I think I'll return to the dorm when morning comes -or when the sun comes out, most likely. Suddenly, it wasn't so bad having the bubbly chatty Chen around to fill the quiet room. It's tempting me to grab a pillow, lay down, and shut my eyes for a few minutes of sleep. 

"I'm beat," Baekhyun tells.

"Ladies and gentlemen-" Chanyeol starts, mimicking the voice that of an announcer and letting his deep voice shine as he sits up. He holds up a fist to his mouth, like he's holding a microphone. "-let's give a round of applause for Mr. Beat." He claps like a seal, thereafter.

"How entertaining," Baekhyun dryly remarks, tossing his laptop on the couch to give him a cold look.

"And just when I thought the other clown was gone-" Kyungsoo says, referring to Chen. "Someone dumber replaces him."

Hayoung stretches her arms as a yawn passes her lips. "I'm in need of a year's worth of sleep right about now. I don't know what I'd do if I still have to stay up late tomorrow." she tells me, which Chanyeol easily hears.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's bring to the stage Ms. In need of a year's worth of sleep-" Chanyeol pauses, eyebrows furrowing as she leans to Hayoung closely. She bumps her shoulder, and ushers her to speak by passing her his invisible mic, his fist just below her lips. "What was the last part?"

"If Park Chanyeol doesn't quit comedy," she answers with a straight face.

Chanyeol laughs sarcastically. "No," he says in a jolly manner, swinging his finger at the top of her nose.

"You continue to disappoint me," she deadpans.

Chanyeol clears his throat, "Once again, in need of a year's worth of sleep, Ms. Disappointed," and gives her jazz hands.

Hayoung smacks his shoulders, and Chanyeol happily takes the beating.

"I'm sleepy," I murmur.

"Me too," Kyungsoo agrees, shutting his laptop. Kyungsoo still looks decent and presentable, when he claims that he's barely getting 4 hours of sleep each day this week. He was even worried that the bags under his eyes have become permanent. Meanwhile, I am dreading to look at the mirror. 

"How about a 30-minute nap?" Chanyeol insists, hands clasping Hayoung's wrists to stop her slaps. "I'll set an alarm," he says, dropping his hold on Hayoung, and quickly grabbing his phone. He lays back on the comforter, one hand on his phone and jabs his thumb on the screen. "Done!"

"Whoever wakes up first, make me coffee please," Kyungsoo mumbles while reaching for a pillow on the couch, then crawls over the floor.

"Make one for me too," Hayoung adds, walking over, and plopping her body on the couch. 

Kyungsoo drowsily pulls out the comforter under Chanyeol, and the taller just rolls around in place so the sheet could be spread.

"Girls, take the couch," Baekhyun says, then joins the boys.

He drops down to the floor and pushes Chanyeol's tired limp body, to which the latter only groans in protest, but complies to. He shoves him about, stopping only till there's enough space for him on the comforter. Chanyeol turns his body to Kyungsoo, arms falling to the other's waist. Normally, he would tear his arms away from the clingy boy with a steady glare. Because he was more keen on napping, he let it be.

Seeing that everyone was ready to drift to sleep, I get off the floor and take the other side of the couch, that Baekhyun previously occupied. Hayoung nestles herself comfortably on the other end of the couch, clutching a pillow when she lies on her side.

I lay down on the couch as well, shifting a little to make myself comfortable. Soon, soft snores hit my ears, lulling me to dreamland. 

 

I open my eyes, the light on the ceiling greeting me. Squinting, I slowly rise from the couch and look beside me to adjust my sight from the brightness.

My mind, body, and soul, jerk from the figure on the couch, shocking me completely awake from the horror. Thankfully, I held in my scream. Most likely, it came out as a squeak, but no one woke up from it. Once I release a sigh out of relief, I take a closer look once more.

A bundle of long hair is all I could see with its limp body, and arms unflatteringly sprawled on the armrest of the couch.

Hayoung has buried herself face flat on the couch. If it wasn't for the yellow mustard top, I wouldn't have know it was her. She looks as good as dead, to be honest, like the ones you see at a crime scene. It shouldn't be funny, but it is. I have seen her a couple of times sleeping, but not like this.

I suppress my laugh, thinking how she must be so tired to be able to sleep like that. But if Chen saw this, I can imagine him saying "Hello new group chat dp," with the largest grin.

Beneath lies Chanyeol, spooning Kyungsoo -something that I'll never be able to witness if Kyungsoo was wide awake. I almost wanted to take a picture to commemorate their intimacy.

Rising from the couch, I peer towards the kitchen, where I hear abrupt sounds coming from.

The boys have pushed the table close to the couch -I don't know if on purpose or not, trapping me in the middle. I don't want to walk over Chanyeol and Kyungsoo because I'm afraid I'll wake them up, so I try to escape through the narrow space left in between the couch -where Hayoung is sleeping, and the cof

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter