One on One

His Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When we had course selection, I purposely went with Hayoung and Yuna. Afraid I'd get separated from the girls like last semester, I opted to get in the same classes with them and score the best possible timetable. But knowing my luck, it would take a miracle to do so. Hence why I have 3 classes on Saturdays. The last two classes were with the girls so it was bearable, but waking up early to go to class was a punishment in itself.

Kyungsoo decided to take summer classes for some of his electives. Maybe it was a smart move, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in university for a whole year. Chen has a class that ends at 10. Although Chanyeol and Baekhyun also have a class at noon, they meet up to have brunch with me. They come to school early so they won't get lazy and skip class, which they surprisingly uphold until now.

 

When I finish the first class of the day I head straight to the cafeteria. It was the nearest to my department building and where they'd usually be waiting. Our school had a huge campus so Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and I, meet halfway. And this was very convenient.

Not many students were around since it was too early for lunch. Students scattered at each table were either playing with their phones or chatting away with their colleagues as they munch on a snack. On a busy hour like lunch, the cafeteria stretches 30 yards packed with hungry students. It was impossible to get a table when mid-day breaks. It's also why we'd get brunch instead.
 
My feet come to a halt when I see my friends, as usual, back with their antics. From afar, only their backs were visible so I thought they were having casual conversations when I began approaching them. But not more than 10 seconds later, I see Chanyeol clutching on a phone while Baekhyun attempts to steal it, flashing his hands here and there in hopes of distracting him to get the device.

The vivid pink silicone case with a Slowpoke face smacked right in the middle was a dead giveaway that it was Chanyeol's phone.

Chanyeol suddenly stood up, arm up high, raising his phone in the air where Baekhyun could hardly reach. Jumping didn't help, nor yanking the taller's shirt to level their heights.

Nearby tables garner their attention and they don't seem to mind. For that, I was beginning to feel embarrassed.

Their quarrel pauses when Chanyeol's eyes land on mine, his face beaming as if his savior had come for him. He informs Baekhyun of my presence by pointing in my direction as he slaps the latter's persistent hands away.

Baekhyun glances my way to confirm.

An opportunity had open to yank the poor distracted Chanyeol's collar back to sit him down entirely, while the latter had only been staring at me. Not bothered, Chanyeol stood up once again and proceeds to flail his arm sideways, waving for the world to see with his phone in hand. I roll my eyes dejectedly, feeling embarrassed of him once again. Even Baekhyun sat down and turned his back to save face. Warily, I head to their table.

When Chanyeol takes his seat and secures his phone behind his back pocket, he flaps his left hand up and down, beckoning me to come to their table faster.

Baekhyun finally turns his head to see me properly. His eyes meet mine, a small smile forming to replace the gape he threw out of shame at Chanyeol. I swallow the lump forming on my throat and try to look elsewhere, feeling burdensome when we have eye contact. But I gave him a small wave, dipping my head as I make way to the vacant seat between the two.

I'm sure he's not aware, but I was on high alert around him these days. Until I feel normal, I'm dodging all attempts at physical contacts with all of the boys. Until then, I am not going to make it obvious that something was off.

"Brunch is on Baek today," Chanyeol gives a round of applause.

Baekhyun shakes his head, displeased, as I take the empty seat between the two and lay my handbag on my lap.

"Serve us our well-deserved banquet, peasant," Chanyeol commands.

Baekhyun comes closer to my side, his lips falling an inch away from my ear. The distance, or lack of it, between us, is already making me nervous. But he whispers something oh so lightly that I fail to discern his words, and I feel the hair on my nape standing up.

That was exactly the kind of physical contact I'm trying to steer clear of. And from whatever he said, he thinks I understood with the little chuckle he gives. When I still look clueless, he raises his eyebrows discreetly, trying to send me a message. Again, he laughs. A laugh that I can easily tell as the default fake ones we give Chen when he attempts slapstick comedy horrendously, so I laugh along with him in the middle of his over the top one.

"Trying to gang up on me stubby?" Chanyeol asks.

The chair I was sitting was roughly pulled toward my left, causing me to jump in shock. Out of instinct, I hold on to the table with one hand for support, and my bag with the other to secure it. If I wasn't quick to balance myself I would've clashed with Baekhyun's body. I do not plan to do that anytime soon while I was anxious, around him especially. 

"Why would we?" he retorts. Baekhyun drapes his arm over the back of my seat and leans closer, flaunting how close we are to the other. 

"You're still buying us lunch you stingy prick," Chanyeol deadpans.

A hand creeps up from my peripheral suddenly. Baekhyun stuck his hand out in front of me. I was quick enough to dodge him by leaning on my seat, not letting us touch while I hold my breath. His hand was closing in on mine, a thought that had me palpitating.

But he misses my trembling hand that had been clutching my bag all this time and grab on the strap on the end of my handbag instead. If he had reached for the strap higher our hands would've touched or his fingers might have brushed mine. I was relieved it didn't.

I didn't even notice that my grasp on my bag loosens until he draws my bag to his side and places it on his seat. My eyebrows raise, asking him what he was doing. But his eyes were already side-eyeing Chanyeol, who was citing a whole grocery list worth of food to consume as he nods back heedlessly.

Baekhyun slides down to the next seat so his former seat now occupies my bag, which he had gently placed.

I was shocked by his gesture so I smiled inwardly, hiding the fact that I was thrilled when he shows how considerate he was.

"I'm only paying for Aerin," Baekhyun counters, catching me off guard once again when he calls my name this time. 

When I look utterly confused, looking back and forth between the two -mostly Chanyeol, he finally laughs and explains.

"He lost at Mario Kart last night. I would've helped but I was too busy winning." Chanyeol crosses his arms over his chest, grinning victoriously.

I chortle at their immaturity, covering my mouth promptly.

"Yeol cheated," Baekhyun accuses, wagging his index finger incessantly at the taller. "I was on the phone when he unpaused the game."

Chanyeol shakes his head, denying his claims. "It's not in The Holy Rule Book of Lord Farquaad."

I did not want to ask, in case we get deeper into the subject. But what would you expect from a bunch of dorky boys living together?

Ever since Chen bought a second-hand video game console he purchased online, they've been fighting daily over their game streaks. So I'm guessing the Lord Farquaad is the same Kim Jongdae who thought it would be extra fun if you play a car race console game blindfolded. Us girls like to play once in a while, yet we were fed up with them constantly playing and talking about it, and deciding an errand boy through the game loser.

"That book is just as empty as Chen's bank account. He just printed the title and pasted it on an accountancy book he never got to use," Baekhyun says.

"You should've done better at the game then, loser."

"Was that why you were fighting before I came here?" I ask, feeling the need to point out how boisterous they were earlier.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun peer over me before shaking their heads simultaneously.

"He's flirting with a girl from another department and he won't tell," Baekhyun answers.

Chanyeol laughs. "He's just jealous because he got rejected by this girl from class."

My ears perk up, eyes widening with curiosity as I stare between the two.

I don't know Chanyeol and Baekhyun that well. I hardly know the girls they date or have dated. They usually tell Hayoung or Chen, and I hear it through them in passing because they know I'm not interested in that kind of stuff. As far as Hayoung's gossip is concerned, Baekhyun hadn't been in a relationship since last year. Like Chanyeol, he just asks girls for their numbers. So it's surprising if he did ask someone out, and intriguing if that person turned him down.

I don't find it entertaining to be updated with their love life, but it's nice to hear them sharing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter