Epilogue: "Hey, hello, do you remember? The memories we made in that summer?"

Congratulations

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?”

A sigh. “Yes, Hyun. For the hundredth time, we’ll be fine without you for a few days. Just spend some time with your family, you deserve it.”

“I’ll have my phone on, just in case Irene needs me.”

“Irene will be fine, you taught her well.”

“Okay, but-.”

“Nam Woohyun, I’m going to hang up now.”

A chuckle. “Thanks, Kibum-ah. Oh, and enjoy your date with Jonghyun-hyung tonight! I get the feeling that he’ll be proposing.”

“Y-Yah!”

“Bye!”

Woohyun laughed as he hung up on his friend and business partner, noting the embarrassed exasperation in his tone. Kibum was normally very confident and sassy but when it came to his boyfriend, he was a blushing and flustered mess. And the DJ was a good match for him; he kept the other grounded.

And speaking of match…

“Gyu! Can you take the other suitcase out when you’re done?” he called towards the master bedroom.

“Okay!” his husband’s muffled voice sounded out.

Satisfied, Woohyun grabbed the one suitcase at his side with one hand and a traveling bag with the other. He made his way out of the house, down the steps, and out the gate to the waiting car service. The driver immediately helped put the bags in the trunk.

“They’ll be out soon,” he told the driver who nodded and went back to the driver’s seat.

Before Woohyun could move another step, the pitter patter of light footsteps sounded out behind him before a light weight threw itself at his middle. He pretended to have the breath knocked out of him.

“Oof!” he exclaimed, dramatically.

A gasp. “Did I hurt you, Papa?” a little voice piped, worriedly.

Woohyun pretended to be in pain, groaning and pouting. “Ahhh, Donghyun-ah, it hurts.”

The 5-year-old gasped again, looking up at him in horror.

“Maybe a hug from my baby will heal me?”

Without a word, Donghyun tightened his hold around his waist and buried his face in his stomach, saying, “Sorry, sorry, sorry.”

Laughing, Woohyun picked him up. “Ahhh, I think I feel better now.”

Immediately, the little boy’s face brightened up. It was then that Woohyun finally noticed that the child’s feet were bare of any shoes.

“Donghyunnie, where are your shoes?” he questioned.

The boy now looked sheepish. But, at least he was wearing socks… which were now dirty at the bottom. Woohyun was glad he packed some spares in the traveling bag.

Right then, another voice joined them. “Donghyun-ah! I told you to wait until I finished putting on my shoes!”

Woohyun turned his face up towards the gate to see his 12-year-old exasperatedly jogging towards them, his brother’s little shoes in his hold as he dragged a small Pororo suitcase behind him.

“Sorry, Papa,” Myungsoo said when he reached them. “This little troublemaker couldn’t wait for me! And I had to bring his bag too!”

In Woohyun’s arms, Dongwoo hung his head. “Hyungie, Donghyunnie sorry.”

Instantly, Woohyun saw Myungsoo’s expression soften. Even after four years, his brother still had him wrapped around his little fingers. One little pout and Myungsoo was putty in his hands.

“It’s okay, Dongie-ah, just be patient next time,” the 12-year-old admonished his brother as he placed the shoes on Donghyun’s sock-clad feet. “Papa is not going anywhere.”

When Myungsoo was Donghyun’s age, Woohyun could not remember him being very attached to him. Then again, it was Sunggyu whom the little boy followed around at that time. Woohyun had felt a little jealous back then because his own son was giving all his attention to his new father. He now knew what it felt like because now, Donghyun couldn’t bear to be out of his sight. It was sweet, but also a little exhausting.

“Hyungie, thank you,” the 5-year-old said, sweetly.

Woohyun’s heart melted and he could see that Myungsoo, as well, could not help but blush. A few years ago, he would have openly swooned at his little brother’s antics. But, he was growing up and wanted to act older and more mature so he held back. To Woohyun, he was still his little boy, even if he wanted more adult responsibilities.

“Can you put Donghyun’s bag in the back, baby? Put your backpack in there too.”

Nodding obediently and happy to be helpful that he didn't even acknowledge the nickname, Myungsoo dragged the small suitcase to the back. Woohyun watched him, carefully, in case he needed help.

“And you can get inside the car now. Where’s your Appa? We’re going to miss our flight.”

Right as he said it, he felt arms wrap themselves around his waist. “Right here!”

Woohyun turned his head to see a grinning Sunggyu. “What took you so long?”

Sunggyu pouted. “That darn suitcase is heavy! What did you pack?!”

Woohyun rolled his eyes. “Everything we need for an entire weekend at Jeju, of course. Now, put that suitcase in the car and let’s get going.”

“Yeobo, you’re so tense. We’ll be fine, we’re early.” He continued to pout. “I didn’t get my ‘good morning’ kiss.”

Woohyun had woken up early, made breakfast, packed snacks, and finished some last-minute packing before calling Kibum to ensure that the other would be fine running the café by himself. Thus, Sunggyu had cleaned up and dressed Donghyun instead.

Sometimes, Woohyun wondered if he was taking care of three children instead of two. And oldest of them was more spoiled than the youngest.

Sunggyu leaned in, his lips puckered, intending to kiss him and Woohyun was going to indulge him, he really was. But, then…

“Appa, no!”

Sunggyu pulled back as he was pushed away by little hands. He stared at the 5-year-old in Woohyun’s arms. Donghyun was frowning at him, his little arms tightening their hold around Woohyun’s neck.

“What? Why not?” Sunggyu whined. Big baby.

“No!”

“Donghyunnie, I wanna kiss Papa. Please?”

But Donghyun shook his head, clinging to Woohyun even more that his chubby cheeks were touching Woohyun’s own.

“Papa is mine!”

Woohyun chuckled at the determined look on the little boy’s face. That was another thing he found amusing. Sunggyu’s only biological son was also his rival when it came to Woohyun’s love and attention.

“What? No way. He’s mine, you little punk!”

“No! Papa is mine! And Donghyunnie belongs to Papa!” And to place his claim, Donghyun pressed his lips to Woohyun’s cheek.

Sunggyu pretended to be horrified. “W-What? Then what about me?”

Donghyun turned away with a cheeky smile, placing his head on Woohyun’s shoulder.

“Yah, Kim Donghyun! What about Appa?”

But, Donghyun didn’t look back at him. Woohyun, though, could feel the little boy giggling. He loved messing with Sunggyu. It was his favorite past time. Woohyun sometimes that thought that perhaps Donghyun was an envoy from heaven to help him get revenge on Sunggyu for the times that he had too.

The relationship between father and son was comical as both were quite mischievous (Donghyun most likely got that trait from Sunggyu; no surprise there). They loved pulling pranks on each other, but behind all that pranking was a deep love… even if they fought over Woohyun and Myungsoo’s affections.

Sunggyu sighed, loudly. “Fine. I guess no one loves me.”

Of course, Sunggyu’s greatest admirer and number one fan had to jump in now. “I love you, Appa,” Myungsoo stated, coming up next to him to give him a hug.

“Myungsoo-ah, my baby,” Sunggyu cooed.

Myungsoo cringed at the endearment and backtracked.

“I’m not a baby, old man,” the 12-year-old retorted, now with a slight frown as he started pulling away from the hug.

But, Sunggyu only pulled him back and continued to coo at him, thanking him for his love, unlike some babies out there.

On some days like today, Woohyun wondered how their family life had evolved from one giant makjang drama into a comedic sitcom. But on those same days, he thought that if he had to go through the same heartbreak just to achieve this bliss that he was experiencing now, he could honestly say that he would.

Because his husband loved him enough to always stay by his side and their marriage had only grown stronger. Because his son was given a brother to love and cherish, who invoked in him the instinct to protect. And because he was given a new son who loved and adored him despite his shortcomings and whom he loved and adored in return.

In the end, the heartbreak had still been worth it.

“Alright, enough, we’re gonna be late. Myungsoo, get in the car with your brother. Gyu, the suitcase.”

Donghyun was passed into Myungsoo’s arms. Woohyun helped Sunggyu put the suitcase in the trunk with the rest of their things.

After Sunggyu slammed the trunk door, he left Woohyun no time to escape as his arms s around the younger’s waist, pulling him close before planting his lips upon his. Woohyun sighed as Sunggyu pulled back with a mischievous smirk.

“Got my ‘good morning’ kiss,” he stated, happily.

Woohyun shook his head at him. “Yes, yes. Now get in the car, you big baby.”

With Sunggyu upfront with the driver, Myungsoo next to him, and Donghyun on Woohyun’s lap, the Kim-Nam family were finally off to the airport for their weekend of summer fun at Jeju Island.

 


 

“Wow, Appa! Our room is soooo big!”

“Hyungie, look! There’s a big water!”

“That’s called the ocean, Dongie-ah.”

“Ocean?”

“Yes! That’s where a lot of fish live and octopuses and giant squids!”

“Whoaaaa.”

Sunggyu inwardly smiled as he watched the sight of his sons’ faces pressed against the glass of the double French doors of their suite.

He had booked them at a resort with rooms that overlooked the ocean. It was Donghyun’s first time at a beach and he wanted the boy to really enjoy it to its fullest.

The said little boy now toddled up to Sunggyu who was checking the resort brochures for a place to have lunch.

“Appa, Appa, can we go to the big water?” he asked, pointing his puppy look at his father.

Sunggyu pretended to think. “I don’t know, Donghyun-ah… I still feel really hurt from this morning…”

As much as he loved his son, he also enjoyed messing with him. His reactions were just so cute! Woohyun would scold him later, but he knew the younger found it amusing too.

Of course, Donghyun turned his attention to Woohyun, running up to him to hug his legs. “Papaaa…. Can we go to the big water?”

Woohyun chuckled, placing a hand on the boy’s head. “Of course, Donghyunnie. Do you want us to leave Appa behind? He’s so mean to you.”

“Y-Yah!” Sunggyu protested.

He wouldn’t put it past them. They went to the park without him one time because Donghyun got upset that Woohyun kissed Sunggyu first during breakfast (though, he did follow later on when Woohyun called him to let him know that the 5-year-old wasn’t mad anymore and wanted his Appa to play with him and his hyung).

To his surprise, Donghyun shook his head. “No, he can come too. I want to play with Appa and hyung in the big water.”

Sunggyu practically melted on the spot. Ahhh, his little baby boy could still move hearts.

“Appa, I saw a store in the lobby with toys for making sand castles,” Myungsoo piped now. “Can we buy some? Donghyunnie and I can make castles.”

Donghyun turned to look at his brother now with a look of wonder. “Castles? Big castles?”

Myungsoo laughed and nodded. “Yep! This big!” And he opened his arms wide to the astonishment of the 5-year-old.

“Appa, please?!” Donghyun toddled back to Sunggyu to hug him around the legs and pout at him. “Please? Please? Please?”

Sunggyu laughed, picking him up. “Are you sure you want Appa to come with you? You seem mad at me, earlier because I said Papa is mine.”

“Papa is mine,” the little boy declared, confidently. “But I love Appa too, so it’s okay.”

Ahhh, his heart couldn’t take the sweetness. If Donghyun was candy, Sunggyu would be diabetic by now. If only he didn’t want to claim Sunggyu’s husband as his own, but he supposed he could forgive the 5-year-old for now.

“Alright, we can go to the big water and make castles,” he said, sounding nonchalant.

The little boy cheered and sweetly kissed him before scrambling back down to the floor. Laughing quietly, Woohyun took Donghyun’s hand to lead him to the boys’ room so he could help him wash before they left for food.

Meanwhile, Sunggyu turned to Myungsoo who was looking through the brochures while fiddling with a mini digital camera that they had gotten him for his birthday. He had started taking an interest in photography lately so Sunggyu was sure that he was looking for spots to take pictures.

Sunggyu marveled at how much his little boy had grown. He was excitable as a kid, but in recent years, he had mellowed out, being a bit quieter, but Sunggyu suspected it was because of his protectiveness towards Donghyun. But, he didn’t lose his charm and bright persona.

The 12-year-old was fairly average in height, normal for boys his age. His hair was still curly and his face only continued to get even more handsome with each year. They had gotten offers from modeling agencies and even idol companies, but Myungsoo wasn’t interested. Woohyun and Kibum loved having him at the ToHeart Café; he attracted customers, even if all he was doing was homework or helping out behind the counter. (Myungsoo and Donghyun together at the café, though, were a double threat.)

“Do you see any places you want to go to?” Sunggyu asked him.

Myungsoo nodded, showing him a brochure. “Can we go here?”

It was a brochure for the Cheonjeyeon Falls and Seonimgyo Bridge. Crystal blue waters with bright green foliage – a perfect spot for pictures and for a budding photographer to practice his skills.

“Wow, this looks amazing! Why not? Let’s go tomorrow, hmm? And after, we can go to the Teddy Bear Museum for Donghyun.”

Myungsoo’s eyes lit up with excitement. “Will you help me edit the pictures too, Appa?”

“Of course! Anything for you, baby.”

The 12-year-old frowned. “Appaaaaa,” he whined in protest.

Sunggyu just laughed and pinched his cheek before ruffling his hair. “Go and get washed up, okay?”

Pouting still, Myungsoo headed for their bedroom. Woohyun was just coming out of the room as he was getting in.

“Myungie-ah, your clothes are on the bed,” he said.

Myungsoo peeked inside and smiled at the sight. “Thank you, Papa!”

The door closed behind Myungsoo.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “What’s got him so excited about clothes?”

Woohyun walked up to him and wrapped his arms around his waist. “I laid out his favorite black shirt.”

“Black? But it’s so hot!”

“Try telling that to your black-obsessed son!”

Sunggyu sighed. “Well, it can’t be helped.” Then, he pulled his husband closer. “Donghyun?”

“Absorbed in a youtube video. I told him to come out when his hyung is ready.”

“Hmm… so I get to have you to myself for a bit?”

Woohyun laughed. “Yes. I give it 10 minutes, max. So you better enjoy me.”

Warmth pooled at Sunggyu’s stomach, as his love and affection for the handsome man in his arms flared.

“Trust me, I will,” he said in a low voice before attacking Woohyun’s lips, not letting him go as he walked them to their own bedroom.

It had taken them another half hour to actually leave their suite. Once Sunggyu had finished “enjoying” his husband, they also had to wash up and get their things ready for the beach.

True to his promise to his sons, they bought some sand castle building equipment at the gift shop (they were all made of plastic, but the quality wasn’t too bad even if the price was horrendous). Woohyun also insisted on getting some arm floaties for both kids.

At the beach, they bought some snacks from vendors and munched on them as they looked for an empty spot.

While Sunggyu and Woohyun laid out towels and opened the umbrellas, Myungsoo and Donghyun stripped off their tops and ran for the water.

"Yah! You need sunscreen!" Woohyun yelled at them but they didn't appear to hear him. He sighed, pulling himself to his feet to chase after them with the bottle in his hand.

Sunggyu watched fondly as he managed to catch them before they went into the water. His lips were moving, probably telling them the importance of sunscreen on a hot day.

He felt himself falling in love all over again.

When they were finally safe from the sun's rays and their father's scolding, Myungsoo tightly held Donghyun’s hand as he took his first steps into the frigid water.

Donghyun seemed to like it as he excitedly jumped up and down, splashing Myungsoo.

The kids stayed near the shore for the most part and when they got tired of splashing, they ran back to their spot to grab their pails and shovels. They found another spot close to the water where the sand was damp and began making their sand castle.

Sunggyu, meanwhile, stretched out on a towel, feeling the warm sand at his back. His sunglasses were on his face and for the first time in the last couple of grueling weeks, he felt relaxed. He could hear his sons’ laughter in his ears and was quite happy that they were having fun. His children should always be happy.

“Yeobo.”

He opened his eyes and peeked at his husband who was holding something out to him. Sitting up, he lowered his sunglasses to see the object properly: it was a seashell.

“For you, love,” Woohyun stated with a teasing smile.

Sunggyu chuckled at the absurdity but nonetheless took the shell with a “Thank you” and a peck on his husband’s lips.

Then, they continued to watch their children attempt to make their castle.

“Six years ago, did you ever think that we’d be here, watching both of our sons playing together and getting along so well as brothers?” Woohyun suddenly asked.

Sunggyu thought back to that time. To that difficult and heartbreaking time. There was so much hardship on his family because of his mistake, a mistake that he still hadn’t forgiven himself for. He remembered thinking that this mistake would forever follow and haunt him until the end of his days.

But, you can’t change the past. You can only live and do your best in the present. But, the future can still be whatever you wanted it to be.

“It was what I hoped for,” he answered. “It may have been a long shot, but I really hoped that it would end up like this. You, me, our sons.”

Woohyun turned to him. “Me too,” he said, with a smile. “Thank you for loving me.”

“Thank you for not giving up on me.”

They both leaned in for a sweet kiss; it was chaste but no less loving.

Woohyun had never failed to make his heart beat fast and Sunggyu knew that there was no one else who could do the things Woohyun did to him. Woohyun had given him everything of his and more and Sunggyu would spend the rest of their life doing the same.

“Appa! Help!” Donghyun’s little voice screeched.

They looked over to see that the boys’ tower had toppled over, ruining their castle. Donghyun was on the verge of tears while Myungsoo tried to console him.

“Go on, Appa, your baby awaits,” Woohyun teased.

Sunggyu pressed a kiss to his nose before getting up to help his children re-build their castle.

“See, boys? You just need to mix it with more water,” he explained as he helped Myungsoo carefully pack and shape a tower with a small shovel.

When it was done, Donghyun stuck some little snowman-like figures at the entrance.

“Hmm? Are these the people who live here, Dongie-ah?” Sunggyu asked.

Donghyun nodded. “It’s us!” he piped. He pointed to the two biggest figures. “This is Appa and Papa”. He pointed to a medium-sized figure. “This is Soo-hyung.” Lastly, he pointed to the smallest. “This is Donghyunnie.”

“Ahhh, so it’s us,” Sunggyu nodded in understanding. “Are we the royal family then?”

“Mmhmm. Appa is the King. Papa is the Queen.”

At that, Sunggyu chuckled and beside him, Myungsoo was holding back his own laughter. Their gaze went to Woohyun who was snacking on some chips while reading something on his phone. Sunggyu hoped he would never know that he was the Queen in Donghyun’s imagination; he already complained enough that he felt like a housewife.

“And Soo-hyung and Donghyunnie are princes.”

“Ahhh… I thought Donghyunnie would be the King because he loves Papa.”

“But Appa loves Papa. And Papa loves Appa more than Donghyunnie, but it’s okay because Hyung says Appa and Papa love us both so it’s a million times more!” Donghyun flashed him a toothy grin, pleased with himself and his explanation.

Sunggyu didn’t really get the logic of a 5-year-old but nonetheless, his heart warmed and beside him, Myungsoo was smiling proudly at his brother.

“But Papa is still mine.”

Myungsoo exploded with laughter as once again, Sunggyu found himself competing for the love of his husband.

But, if you asked him, he wouldn’t change a single second of these moments.

 


A/N: And, that's a wrap! Thank you, again, everyone for being with this story 'til the very end! I really hope it was enjoyable!

The title for this Epilogue is from Infinite's "That Summer", one of my favorite summer hits. And I can imagine the boys building their castles with this playing in the background.

Also... Who's excited for Sunggyu's upcoming solo comeback?!?! I'm so excited! Can't wait to see what Leader-shii has in store for us!

Once again, just letting everyone know that I will be taking a short hiatus. I don't know when I'll have a new story or what it will be. But, whenever I get back, I hope you, guys, will still be here to show my stories some love.

Don't be a stranger! I'll still be reading stories so feel free to message me on here if you wanna chat about anything, in particular!

'Til next time!