"Congratulations, you’re so amazing. Congratulations, how could you be so fine?"

Congratulations

The sound of breaking glass filled the air, cutting through the tense atmosphere. On the wall, the ticking of the clock was loud and thunderous. On the floor lay the shattered remains of a crystal vase, the flowers in tatters against the tiles, water soaking through the delicate petals.

That same water seeped into the soles of pristine leather shoes, but their owner hardly noticed. His eyes were simply on the heaving figure of the man in front of him.

Nam Woohyun’s usually cheery face was spotted with tears, his chocolate-brown eyes fierce and brows furrowed in anger. His lips, normally painted with a bright and kind smile, quivered with emotion.

And he, Kim Sunggyu, the man’s husband, caused it.

He tried to take a step towards him, but Woohyun took several steps back, shaking his head.

“Don’t come near me!” he hissed. “Stay away from me!”

“Woohyun-.”

“How could you?!”

Sunggyu swallowed the lump in his throat. Indeed, how could he?

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. Throwing caution to the air, he moved forward to grasp Woohyun’s arms. “Yeobo, I’m sorry. It won’t happen again-.”

“She’s ing pregnant, Sunggyu!”

Woohyun broke away from his grasp, glaring at with betrayed eyes.

“I’m sorry,” was all Sunggyu could say again. “I’ll… I’ll fix it…”

Woohyun laughed, humorlessly. “Fix it? How? A child is involved, Sunggyu! A child! An innocent child! How can you fix that?! How?!”

For that, Sunggyu had no answer. He had no idea, himself.

One mistake. One night of mistake. That was all it took. And he could see his marriage crumbling before his very eyes.

His silence made Woohyun huff and sneer. “That’s right. You can’t fix it. Congratulations. You broke us. I hope you’re happy.”

Sunggyu could only watch as the younger his heels and walked away. There was no door slam. No, Woohyun was too good for that. Sunggyu wished that there was one, if only to punish himself for what he had done.

 


 

As much as he wanted to scream, he couldn’t. As much as he wanted to throw more things, he couldn’t. As much as he wanted to hate his husband and demand for a divorce, he couldn’t.

And that reason was in front of him, under the covers and surrounded by stuffed animals. The reason that was now squirming before sitting up, groggily rubbing his eyes.

“Papa?” the little voice called out, his cute cat-like eyes squinting in the darkness to make out Woohyun’s form by the door. “I heard noises. It woke me up.”

In an instant, Woohyun was across the room and sliding under the covers. He brought the sleepy 6-year old into his arms.

“I’m sorry, baby, we didn’t mean to wake you,” he soothed, running his hands through his son’s dark curls. “Go back to sleep.”

But, Kim Myungsoo was a curious child. He was praised by his teachers for being smart and inquisitive. He looked up at his father with curious eyes.

“But, what was that sound?” he asked.

Woohyun shook his head, willing his tears not to fall. Not in front of his son. “N-Nothing. Something just broke. A-Appa is cleaning it up. So no need to worry, okay? Go back to sleep.”

Myungsoo didn’t look satisfied but he must have sensed Woohyun’s distress as he simply kissed his father’s cheek and cuddled into his side. Within minutes, he was fast asleep.

Woohyun could only hold him tight, muffling his own sobs.

Their perfect little family… shattered into pieces, just like that vase he had thrown at Sunggyu’s head. His husband said he would fix it.

But, how could he? Even if he somehow managed to glue the pieces back together, the lines of the break would always be visible.

 


 

When Woohyun was in his last year of culinary school, he had a one-night stand with some girl he met at a party. His friend Kibum had invited him to his then-boyfriend’s party and it got a little wild. Considering that Woohyun was gay, he had no idea how he ended up in bed with her but it most likely involved a lot of alcohol and general lack of a life. He and the girl, Sangmi, agreed to forget that night and went their separate ways.

However, it turns out that fate had other plans when Sangmi broke the news to him two months later after they parted: she was pregnant. It was his. And she had no intention of keeping it. She gave him a choice – she goes for an abortion or he takes custody.

Out of the goodness of his heart and a strange feeling of paternal love, Woohyun chose the latter.

Nam Myungsoo was born on a rainy spring day, a month earlier than the due date, premature and tiny. Woohyun fell in love with him at first sight and vowed to protect him all his life. And like they agreed, Sangmi signed away her custody rights and disappeared from father and son’s lives.

The first two years were a struggle. Even though his mother and older brother offered their help whenever they could, he refused to let them do all the heavy lifting of raising his son.

While Myungsoo was still a baby and Woohyun was just starting out as a kitchen assistant for a restaurant, they stayed at his mother’s home. She watched Myungsoo while he was at work.

And being a preemie, Myungsoo was prone to various illnesses.

Lucky for Woohyun, a friend knew a friend who had a cousin who was a pediatrician. Jang Dongwoo came from a long family line of doctors and he was one of the youngest in his field. Dongwoo took care of Myungsoo during his bouts of illnesses.

Unlucky for Woohyun, this meant heaps upon heaps of medical bills. His own mother and brother’s monetary aid were barely enough to help cover the expenses.

But, somehow, they got by.

When Myungsoo turned two, they moved out of his mother’s home and into a small apartment. Woohyun had been promoted to Commis chef and was earning just a little more than when he was a kitchen aid. His mother still watched his son while he was at work.

Meanwhile, Dongwoo continued to be Myungsoo’s primary care physician. And along the way, father and doctor became very good friends, despite Woohyun being five years his junior. Dongwoo was just like him, gay and proud. He was dating a corporate worker named Lee Howon.

It was because of Howon that Dongwoo decided to take Woohyun’s dating life into his own hands and set him up on a blind date. Woohyun initially refused; he had gone on a few dates in the time before and after Myungsoo was born and all had hightailed the other direction when he told them about his fatherhood status. He had sworn off dating since then, vowing to put all his attention on his son. But, his mother kept pushing him to find someone and get settled.

“For Myungsoo’s sake,” she had told him. “You need a co-parent, Woohyun. You can’t do it alone.”

She knew how difficult it was. She was a single parent too. Their father had left them for another woman. She had faced the hardship all alone, but she did it all for her children. Things would have probably been easier if she had a partner to help her.

Woohyun knew all this but he had no intention of finding another father-figure for Myungsoo; he was perfectly fine on his own, thank you very much. But, in the end, he decided that a night out with a nice man was something he hadn’t done in a long time, he might as well indulge himself.

It was on that blind date that he met Kim Sunggyu, a friend and co-worker of Howon’s. He was five years older, upper middle class, and obviously grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth. He was serious and proper, but very polite. Unlike Woohyun, he was bi and had dated both men and women.

At first, they didn’t seem to hit it off. Woohyun found him dull. Sunggyu found him childish. But, there was one thing that made them change their mind – their love for music. It turned out that they enjoyed the same music and the same bands. They talked for hours about music, which eventually led to other topics of discussion.

By the end of the date, they realized the other wasn’t too bad.

But, Woohyun had to get one thing out of the way, quickly.

“I have a son,” he blurted out in between a discussion of Nell’s new album and Lee Minho’s current drama. “Um…The mother is no longer involved. I’m a single dad. My son… he comes with the package. So… I just wanted to get that out now, just in case it’s not something you want to take part of.”

To his surprise, Sunggyu was interested in his son. “Tell me a little about him. How old is he?”

And they spent the remainder of the date talking about Myungsoo and his little triumphs at two years old.

To Woohyun’s surprise, Sunggyu asked him on a second date.

The second date led to a third… to a fourth… to a fifth… Woohyun stopped counting three months later when he finally introduced the man to his little boy.

Despite his serious and cold demeanor, Woohyun discovered that Sunggyu had a soft side. He liked kids. He was a little awkward with them, but he liked them. And Myungsoo loved any sort of attention from the adults around him. The two bonded, quickly over bowls of ice cream and Hamtaro episodes.

Woohyun and Sunggyu never declared that they were officially dating. Somehow, there was just a mutual agreement that they were exclusive. Sunggyu went out with them often, as a family. Woohyun even introduced him to his mother and brother and Sunggyu introduced him to his parents and sister. Their first “I love you” occurred during a phone call. Their first time was during Christmas.

A year later, Sunggyu proposed. Woohyun said, “Yes.”

They were married and Sunggyu adopted Myungsoo. He now carried the name “Kim”.

Kim Myungsoo. It had a nice ring to it.

Woohyun was thrilled. He thought he would feel possessive, as he had always been. Myungsoo was his little boy after all. But, Sunggyu had been a wonderful father and co-parent. He treated the boy like his own and Myungsoo grew up calling him “Appa” and Woohyun “Papa”. To him, there were no other parental figures in his life other than his two fathers. He was the love of their lives and they were his.

Their family lived in bliss for the next three years. Sunggyu and Woohyun were devoted husbands to each other. Myungsoo was doted on and filled with love. They couldn’t ask for more.

They lived in perfect marital bliss... but it wasn't mean to last long.

Their troubles started when Sunggyu was promoted to Chief Operating Officer two months ago. It was an honor. He had worked hard for the position and it was well-deserved.

Woohyun, now a sous chef, couldn’t be more proud.

But, it also meant that Sunggyu got busier and busier. Being busy meant stress. And stress made him more prone to fatigue and his emotions were haywire. 

The night of the company celebration, before he left for home, Sunggyu and Woohyun had a fight. Woohyun couldn't even remember what started it, only that the two of them started yelling at each other and Sunggyu left with a slam of the door. (Thankfully, Myungsoo was at Woohyun's brother's place and didn't witness one of their rare fights.)

That night, Sunggyu never came home. Woohyun stayed up all night, waiting for his husband to come home so he could apologize and make up wit him but ended up falling asleep on the couch. His husband came stumbling in at 6 in the morning, disheveled and in a daze. He was back to normal after a few hours of sleep. Then, he apologized and Woohyun did the same. They kissed and made up and that was that.

Things seemed pretty normal after that and the incident was put behind them.

Then, a good two weeks ago, Sunggyu started acting strangely. He was always agitated, jumpy, and… secretive. Woohyun had caught him many times talking low on the phone and always hanging up when he noticed his husband nearby. He also kept bringing home surprises and gifts for Woohyun and Myungsoo. It delighted the little boy but it made the hairs on the back of the chef’s head stand up.

Now, Woohyun had always trusted his husband. In their four years of being together, the older man had never given him a reason to doubt or be suspicious. He trusted him through and through.

That night, he had just finished putting Myungsoo to bed and was about to turn in himself when he decided to look for Sunggyu and invite him to sleep. The older looked like he hadn’t slept properly in a while, all because of work, according to him. He walked in on his husband having an intense conversation with someone on the phone.

“Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure?” Sunggyu asked in a panicked tone.

Woohyun watched as the older man ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

“And this was confirmed by a doctor?... Are you sure?... Eunseo-shii, if you’re lying to me… … … ing hell…”

Sunggyu continued to mutter expletives to himself, still not noticing his curious husband lingering by the hallway. Woohyun was glad that he had put Myungsoo to bed already. He had a strange, nauseating feeling the in the pit of his stomach. Somehow, there was a part of him that knew he wouldn't like what would come next.

He was about to go over and try to calm the older man down when Sunggyu’s next words stopped in his tracks.

“And you’re sure it’s mine?... Of course, I have to be sure! I’m married!”

Woohyun’s heart almost stopped beating.

“Look, I’ll take responsibility for the child, but that is where it ends, Eunseo-shii. That night was a mistake, I told you that.”

Swallowing the sudden lump in his throat, Woohyun finally managed to step closer.

With a shaking voice, he said the first thing on his mind, “What night?”

In alarm, Sunggyu turned around, finally seeing him. And his eyes only showed one thing: fear.

Something wet trickled down Woohyun’s face but he didn’t try to wipe it away. Instead, he kept talking.

“What mistake?”

“W-Woohyun…”

“What child?”

Without saying “goodbye”, Sunggyu hung up and slipped his phone into his pocket. Nervously, he ran a hand through his already messy hair again, ruffling it further.

For a brief moment, Woohyun had a vision of foreign, delicate, and female hands running themselves through those dark locks.

His fists clenched at his sides, nails digging painfully into his palm as his vision turned red.

“What child, Sunggyu?!” he practically shouted at the other.

And just like that, Sunggyu told him everything.

The night of the company party celebrating his promotion, they had all gotten drunk, especially him. He couldn’t help it, there were too many people pouring him drinks and he was still upset about their fight. It came to the point where he wasn’t in any condition to drive back home so his co-workers called a cab for him. Howon wasn’t at the party, due to a promised date with Dongwoo. If he had been there, perhaps, the next events would never have happened.

His new secretary, Park Eunseo, had only started working for the company for about three months. When Sunggyu was promoted, she was re-assigned to him. He suspected that she had a little crush on him, based on the constant blushing and eagerness to please him. He thought it was harmless. After all, everyone in the company knew that he was a taken man.

The night of the party, she accompanied him in the cab.

When Sunggyu awoke the next day, his head feeling like it would split, it took him mere minutes to realize that he was and in bed with his secretary in an unfamiliar room. In shock and daze, he had thrown his clothes on and headed for home, his guilty conscience eating at him. He wanted to tell Woohyun, immediately what he had done and ask for forgiveness. Instead, he eased his guilt by making love to his husband for hours.

The next time he came across his secretary, he finally made it clear to her that her affections were not welcomed, that he would let that time slide and not fire her because he, too, had been inebriated and it wouldn’t be right. He was a strict boss, but he wasn’t an .

He thought that was the end of that… until two weeks ago when she came into his office at the end of the workday, begging to speak with him and revealing the product of Sunggyu’s nightmares: she was pregnant. It was his. She needed him.

At that point in the story, Woohyun had grabbed the nearest object near him – a crystal vase that held the flowers Sunggyu had gotten him just a few days earlier – and thrown it at him, screaming his grief at the betrayal.

“Don’t come near me!”

“Stay away from me!”

“How could you?!”

Everything that Woohyun had believed in, every word, gesture, kiss, and declarations of love… they were all lies now.

Woohyun thought that the day his father left him, his brother, and his mother for his mistress was the worst day of his life. He swore to himself that his life would be different, that his marriage would be different.

He was wrong.

Fate had a funny way of showing him that he didn’t deserve the complete family he had always wanted.

 


A/N: And that concludes the first chapter! It's all intro for now and the drama has already started! So, a couple of things you can expect from this fic without revealing my plot:

1. Cheating is awful and it's something that should never be tolerated. However, when you have children involved, it's not as easy as simply breaking up and leaving. The couple has to decide whether they will fix their relationship for the sake of the children or part ways and figure out how to break it to the kids that their parents are no longer together, as well as custody issues, visitation rights, etc. Either way, it will not be easy for them or the kids.

2. Sunggyu is obviously remorseful and he could have avoided shocking and making Woohyun feel betrayed if he had only told him what happened as soon as it happened. And thus, we will get a very angry and heartbroken Woohyun and a groveling Sunggyu. But, hopefully, cute and adorable Myungsoo will make up for it.

3. Eunseo and her baby will play a vital role. I don't know if you guys will end up hating her or not; I guess it depends on how I will portray her, so I'm being very careful when I write her. (But, to those who read my YunJae fic "All That Glitters", she's going to have a completely different personality from Jisoo.) I've also already decided on the baby's name and gender, so I'm all good on that front.

4. I will also be touching on a subject that I've always been passionate about, but I won't be revealing it right now. I'll tell you guys when I finally write it.

5. There will be a happy ending, so no need to worry. 

Also! Fun fact: I had a fun idea that I would name the chapters after lyrics of some of the songs I have on my playlist for this fic. If you're curious about my playlist, let me know and I'll create a blog post with all of it so you have your own little soundtrack.

So, the one above is from "Congratulations" by Day6, which inspired the title of this story.

I hope you all anticipate it! 'Til the next one!

**THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED (SEPT. 12, 2019) AFTER ITS INITIAL PUBLICATION**