Epilogue: Favourite Color

When We're Young

Jongin feels ridiculous standing amongst the crowd with the gaudiest sign he's ever seen, waiting for the passengers of the 15:30 flight from Paris. The poster was designed by Jinri using some of the art supplies she had lying around at home, and they all knew Sehun would love it.

The passengers begin to make their way through the doors in clusters, and Jongin strains himself to see around them. The last time Sehun came back from Paris, he had missed his connecting flight, and Jongin had left his phone at his brother's and had found himself waiting for hours stuck in indecision and afraid of leaving and possibly missing Sehun. Kyungsoo had to come get him. The day after, Soojung and Jinri accompanied him to avoid a repeat of the first disaster.

Sehun is easy to spot. His hair is a light brown now and shorter than it was last year. He's dressed simple and spots Jongin almost as fast as Jongin spots him.

"I'm guessing that's a Jinri creation," he asks, eyes on the sign. There are swirls of patterns on the board, from simple hearts to glittering gold stars. Each letter of his name is a different color but done in a way that isn't too heavy on the eyes. "Are you sure you're waiting for me and not a celebrity with the same name?"

"I'm going to leave you," Jongin threatens, glaring spitefully. "You'll have to take a taxi home or the bus."

"I'm sorry," Sehun says with a laugh, and Jongin knows he really isn't. "I missed you." Jongin glares a little more before reaching his hand out to take Sehun's duffle bag.

"I missed you too."

He's parked close to the shuttle bus drop-off location, lucky to have arrived just as someone was leaving. Sehun hasn't seen his car yet. It isn't fancy or anything. Chanyeol knew someone selling their old car after buying a brand new car, and Jongin had enough money saved to buy it. Sehun still compliments it when he sees it, walking around the length of it with a dramatic whistle before tossing his things in the trunk. Jongin's car does have a navigation system, but it's faulty and tends to give completely wrong directions, so he types the address of Sehun's apartment into his smartphone.

"Jongin," Sehun says. Jongin gives a distracted hum as he tries to memorize as much of the route as possible. Sehun doesn't say anything for a while, so Jongin looks up after starting the navigation.

"What's wrong," he asks at first, concern coloring his voice until he meets Sehun's eyes and ends up grinning at the look Sehun's giving him. Sehun's fingers grip his collar, tugging him over the console until familiar lips meet his own. The surprise of it lasts for a split-second at most, and Jongin is kissing back, phone forgotten as he tangles his fingers in Sehun's soft hair. He's missed this, having hardly gotten his fill of Sehun's kisses before they parted for nearly a year.

"I really missed you," Sehun says when they separate. Jongin doesn't say anything back, but he does try to fix the strands of hair he messed up, mesmerized with the way Sehun relaxes into his touch, eyelashes fluttering and heaving a soft sigh.

Sehun’s apartment is close to their university, in a tall building minutes away from the subway and nearest commercial district. They ride an elevator up to the eight floor, Sehun’s belongings split amongst them, as they make their way to apartment 812. The apartment is spacious, with more than enough room for a single person and already furnished.

"Remember the senior I told you about? The one I asked to look after my dog? His family owns this building, so I got to rent this place for a pretty hefty discount, and since my parents decided not to cancel my trust fund after I told them I'm going to be a doctor, I figured why not." Sehun explains as he leads Jongin from room to room, both checking the place out for the first time.

"Do you really have a trust fund," Jongin asks when they return to the living room. It's larger than his brother's place and has a nicer view, but not so big that it should cost too much money. Then again, it is Seoul, and the location is prime. Sehun laughs at the question as he plops down on the sofa.

"No, not really, I guess. My parents have money saved for my schooling and housing, and they pay off my credit card bills." He says, explaining what sounds a lot like a trust fund to Jongin.

"Rich kids," Jongin huffs, taking a seat in the chair near the sofa and taking a second look around.

"What do you think," Sehun asks him.

"About the apartment," Jongin asks in return, turning back to face his boyfriend. "It's nice."

"Sehun grins at that, not his usual preening one that overtakes his face whenever he's complimented. This one is more mischievous, the one he uses when he's typically planning something. Something that usually involves convincing Jongin.

"Move in with me."

"Jongin blinks once, then twice in surprise. He takes another look around the apartment, not sure whether he's searching for hidden cameras or imagining himself living there, maybe both. When he turns back to Sehun, the surprise has shifted into confusion.

"I know it's kind of early in our relationship, but I've got two rooms," Sehun says before Jongin can even begin to formulate a response. "It's why I got two rooms. You won't have to spend your nights alternating between your brother's sofa, the girls' sofa, and home since it's close to the school."

Sehun stops then, sitting back in his seat and shrugging a little. He has not met Jongin's eyes since he came up with the proposal. "I just figured it would be fun. You wouldn't have to pay rent."

Jongin's still silent, processing all that's been said. It would be fun to live together, and their relationship isn't really conventional, so moving in together after nearly a year of long-distance dating wouldn't be too odd in the grand scheme of things.

"OK," Jongin says, slow and deliberate, "but I'm paying rent."

The smile Sehun gives him lights up his entire face. "My parents are paying our rent. Buy me nice things instead."

The next night Jongin takes Sehun out to meet the girls, Sehun's still a little jet-lagged from the seven-hour time difference, but, he perks up at the idea of seeing Jinri and Soojung again and the thought of authentic Korean street food.

The girls are already waiting for them at the agreed location and rush them in their excitement, nearly toppling Sehun over, not that he seems to mind.

"We missed you, Sehunnie," Jinri says, pouting with so much exaggeration Jongin can't help but roll his eyes. They hit a handful of food stalls, ordering all the foods Sehun missed that he couldn't eat or just didn't taste the same while he was in France.

They go to Karaoke after, all of them too stuffed with delicious food and Jongin the only sober one in their group. He doesn't mind it as much as when he goes out with his classmates and doesn't drink. His friends are easier to deal with drunk than his classmates ever are.

"I'm moving in with Sehun," Jongin tells the couple before him as they look through the large karaoke books on the table; Jinri already in the process of programming the first song of the night in. Soojung blinks, a tipsy grin spreading across her lips as she looks from Jongin to Sehun and back again. She tosses her head back and laughs, the tambourine in her hand, making an out-of-tune rattling sound as Jinri stands, and a soft melody begins to play through the speakers. Sehun's got the second microphone in his hands, but he doesn't look ready to stand up from his place resting mostly against Jongin. He's grinning though, wiggling in his seat as he looks at Soojung.

"I'm happy for you," Soojung says over Jinri's singing. "I'm so happy!"

Jongin, in all his sobriety, feels the same, elated beyond words, happy to be once again surrounded by his three best friends.

Jongin tells his parents that he plans to move in with Sehun on the third day of his boyfriend's return. He's ready to walk them through each and every reason why it'll be a good thing, but his mother hardly puts up a fight about it. Her only complaints begin when Jongin tells her just how soon he plans to do so. He promises her that he will be back for all the major holidays and Christmas and birthdays if the days align right.

Five days after Sehun returns to South Korea, Jongin moves in with him. It doesn't take much time to pack his things, and it's only a car ride to move them, and by the end of it all, he's got his own room in his boyfriend's apartment and a fridge full of his mother's home cooking.

That first night he falls into Sehun's bed, his room is still filled with brown boxes, and if he's honest with himself, he's missed waking up beside Sehun the most when he was away. He never stops climbing into Sehun's bed after.

~~~~~~~ ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞ ~~~~~~~~

Sehun glares at the sound of Jongin's laughter, turning away from the closet to watch his boyfriend settle against their bed. He bites down on his bottom lip at that thought, trying and failing to keep the smile at bay. Their bed in their bedroom. It's been a year of them living together, and although Jongin has officially moved into his room just recently, Sehun still gets a little giddy when he thinks of them as this pair, a unit, one half to a whole. What is his is Jongin's, and what is Jongin's is his.

"You've gotten through the first year. I really didn't expect to see you in the same position you were last year," Jongin says, picking up one of the shirts closest to him. It's a button-up made of soft cotton in a robin's egg blue. "I like this one on you."

Last year, Sehun was a nervous wreck as his orientation approached. He wanted to look impressive, being a year older than many of the incoming freshmen but feared looking like a spoiled rich kid. He had been worried that he'd fail at making friends like he had all those many times before Jongin. Despite all his worries, his freshman orientation had gone well, and he had a group of acquaintances that seemed to like him well enough to form a study group with him.

His college life is thriving, and now, Sehun's worried about being a sophomore. He will be a senior to incoming freshmen, someone that they can hopefully rely on in get-togethers, especially when the big seniors get in the mood for drinking games. Medical school students didn't have many get-togethers within their major, but it could be pretty intimidating when they did. Sehun remembers his first when he had needed to call Jongin to come get him because he was too drunk to remember where he lived.

Sehun shrugs on the blue shirt and does up only a few buttons, staring himself down in the mirror before giving a small nod and taking it off. "You know how I am."

"Anyone that doesn't like you is a fool," Jongin says back with a grin. Sehun smiles and drops down on the bed, avoiding the clothes still strewn across it.

"You're already a third year, Jongin. You're pretty much a big senior now, and all your juniors in the art club adore you because you actually give them good advice, and you drive them home when they get too drunk." Jongin flushes like he isn't popular in his major and amongst many of the girls in their college when Sehun's even overheard girls in his major gossiping about the art club's good-looking men. Sehun told Jongin once that he was popular in high school not just because he was friends with Jinri and Soojung and the look of utter disbelief that crossed Jongin's face had him nearly dying of laughter.

Sehun laughs softly as Jongin pulls him in close and buries his face in the crook of his neck. He grins to himself, twisting a little awkwardly to press a kiss to Jongin's temple and then his cheek. When Jongin lifts his head Sehun presses a fleeting kiss to his mouth, making Jongin chase after his lips. Jongin kisses with an intensity that always seems to take Sehun's breath away. Today is no different, and Sehun lets Jongin push him down across the bed with practiced ease, melting as Jongin fingers skirt underneath the top, running fingers across his bare torso and leaving goosebumps behind. Whatever they were talking about forgotten for a moment.

******

Kyungsoo's boyfriend owns a bar, which means Sehun gets free drinks being the reason why the couple are together today. When Sehun had returned from Paris, he'd dragged Kyungsoo to a couple of gay clubs. Kyungsoo hadn't met anyone at them, but Sehun knows from the look in his eyes that being there had affected him in the same way it had affected Sehun when he first walked into one in Paris, passing rainbow murals and pictures of men kissing and in love.

Being around men that loved and were attracted to other men without being ashamed or embarrassed. Knowing that you could dance close to someone of the same- or show affection without fear or scrutiny was liberating. Even if Kyungsoo had come to accept his uality with relative ease, there was still something nearly magical in seeing with your own eyes that there were countless others like you, that for all your differences, there was this one unifying trait that brought you all together. Kyungsoo hadn't met anyone at those clubs, but Sehun and he had enjoyed every minute there.

By chance, one night when Sehun had dragged Kyungsoo to a bar to bemoan his relationship and some of his insecurities, he noticed how the bartender kept checking out Kyungsoo, and being the incredible wingman he is, he managed to convince Kyungsoo to talk to the man behind the bar. One thing led to another, and they've been dating ever since.

"Are you feeling insecure again," Kyungsoo asks him, watching with a look of muted judgment as Sehun downs his third drink of the evening.

"No," Sehun says, glaring at his friend. They don't get together as much, not that they got together regularly before, but now that Kyungsoo is officially in the medical science portion of medical school, his time is often enough split between school, work, and sleep.

At Kyungsoo's raised eyebrow, Sehun sighs and rests his head in his open palm, fingers tapping out a rhythmless beat into the tabletop. "I'm not. I'm just–" he cuts himself off and shrugs a bit. "I'm feeling restless."

Kyungsoo is busy, and Jongin has an internship on top of his club duties and classes this semester. Everyone is so busy, and Sehun has a lot on his plate too. His classes aren't easy, and in between the study group meetups, he's been helping out a couple of freshmen. Still, sometimes he feels like he's being left behind. Realistically, he knows that isn't the case, has had this conversation before. Even then, like how the anxiety of a new school year forces him to go through every outfit in his closet, these feelings are fast becoming a new tradition.

"Have you tried speaking to Soojung about this," Kyungsoo asks, eyebrows furrowed in such earnest concern Sehun can't help but to laugh.

"I think we've both drank a little more than we were planning," Sehun muses as he looks at the empty glass before him. "I don't need to speak to the psychologist-in-training. I'll stop feeling so restless when classes pick up."

"That's what I said," Kyungsoo says, "remember last year?"

"No," Sehun says with a shake of his head, "I said I was worried Jongin and I would drift apart when I started the more intensive part of school, and you said, and I quote: 'it is going to get harder.' Why do I even talk to you? You're mean.

"I'm a realist," Kyungsoo says, rolling his eyes at Sehun's pout. "You'd hate it if I wasn't. Besides, I also said that I couldn't imagine you two with anyone else, didn't I?"

"Yeah," Sehun says, grinning, "you did."

******

"Are you planning on going into cosmetic surgery," one of the freshmen asks Sehun. He blinks, looking up from the heavy textbook to the girl before him, highlighter paused in mid-air. This is study group time, and usually, the freshmen are gone by now, but Seungmin thinks she's pretty and invited her and her friend to stay around.

"Isn't it a bit too early to be thinking about specialties," Sehun asks with an awkward laugh. Goeun, the only girl in their study group, scoffs at that.

"Sehun's just being modest," she tells the girls. "He doesn't want to be a cosmetic surgeon and give people false hope that they'll wake up looking like him." Sehun glares at her and re-caps his highlighter, he'll just have to finish reviewing the chapter on his own time.

"I want to go into pediatrics," Sehun mutters, flushing lightly. He still hasn't told his friends, they're still far from even doing their clerkships, and Sehun knows specialties can change with them. Plus, people seem to always expect him to have some story about the reason why, since he apparently doesn't look the part, but there's no reason beyond liking children and wanting to help them. The surprised and good-natured teasing causes his blush to become more profound as he gathers his things.

"Aww, don't go," the same freshman says.

"Today's Sehun's anniversary," Seungmin whispers to her, loud enough for Sehun to hear and pause in his packing.

"What," Sehun asks at the same time as the girl. He finishes packing his bag and shakes his head at his friend. "It's not an anniversary. It's a tradition that my friends and I have."

He says goodbye to the group, leaving the room with quick steps before they can ask him more and hold him up. Jongin's art clubroom is across campus. Usually, they meet somewhere in the middle, but occasionally, on days like today when it's mid-fall and late enough that there aren't many people around Sehun likes to walk through the campus grounds. The chilled air helps ease the tension from a long day of classes and studying.

The door to the art clubroom is open when Sehun arrives, and he leans against the frame, watching Jongin clean up the small messes left behind.

"I'm thinking about joining the art club," he announces, laughing at how quickly Jongin turns towards him.

"Shouldn't you still be with your study group," Jongin asks, grabbing his bag and walking out with Sehun, locking the door as he does so.

"I told them I was going home to eat candy and drink beer," Sehun replies, following along with Jongin to the art department's student parking lot. "You look tired. Do you want me to drive?"

"Did you somehow manage to get your license earlier," Jongin asks back.

"My friends in France let me drive their cars," Sehun retorts, even as he takes his usual spot in the passenger seat.

"That's nice," Jongin says. "But since we're not in France and you don't have a license, you're not driving my car."

Jinri answers the door when they arrive, already dressed in fuzzy yellow pajamas. "Come in, get changed," She demands, pulling each boy inside and shutting the door behind her. Their apartment is perfect for them. It's smaller than Sehun's, with one bedroom larger than the other, but the second bedroom is only ever used to store Jinri's miscellaneous things. Soojung is changed as well, dressed in matching lavender pajamas, with a can of beer in her hands. She's bopping her head to an American pop song, lips moving as she sings the lyrics under her breath. Her face breaks into a giant smile as she notices them.

"Get changed," she demands, gesturing to Jinri's decoy room. "Hurry up!"

Their coffee table is pushed to the side and stacked with enough food and snacks to last them into the early morning. They're going to watch an old English-language romcom first, even though they'll probably get distracted half-way through, and only Soojung will understand what's going on without reading the subtitles.

"It's weird," Soojung says suddenly. They're in the middle of their second movie, an indie Korean title that, despite decent acting from the cast, is so cheesy that they can't help but laugh at scenes that obviously weren't meant to be funny. "This is only our third time doing this with Sehun."

"No," Jinri counters and then pauses. "... You're right!"

Two years ago, while Sehun was still in France, they did a brief video call. It had been bittersweet. He felt overwhelmed with homesickness throughout the entire call but grateful to have friends like them. Friends that couldn't simply continue a tradition without him involved some way, even though it had just been the three of them for years. Last year, Soojung threatened to drag him to her apartment if he didn't show no matter what, and the tradition resumed with him included.

"Sometimes I forget that we haven't known you forever," Soojung says.

"Yeah," Jinri says, backing her girlfriend up, "it feels like you and Jongin have been dating for forever."

"That's because they're like an old married couple," Soojung retorts, a grin on her lips as she looks down at Sehun. "You were supposed to be the hot young thing that broke this hermit crab out of his shell, not retreat into it with him."

"I'm wearing this hideous thing for you, and you're making fun of me," Sehun says with an exaggerated frown. Jinri wanted uniforms to complement the tradition, and so they got uniforms. Fuzzy large pajamas bottoms and tops. Jinri in yellow, Soojung in lavender, Jongin in a muted dull gray with red accents, and Sehun in the only remaining color. An ugly, unflattering green that clashes with his complexion and makes him look sickly. He bears with it, relying on the knowledge that he only ever needs to wear it once a year, and aside from the color, the Pjs are comfortable.

"We love you," Jinri says in reply sending him a finger heart while laughing. They sleep in the living room despite it being smaller than Soojung's parents' home and despite them having two perfectly good rooms with perfectly good beds. It's more comfortable to spread out on the girls' heated floor after the beer has run dry, their stomachs are filled, and they can hardly keep their eyes open as the last movie plays.

~~~~~~~ ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞ ~~~~~~~~

"You're going to have to come back home with me this year," Jongin says, "my mom was really upset when you skipped out last year."

Sehun looks away from the television, a yawn slipping past his lips. "Isn't your brother bringing his girlfriend around? I don't want to intrude."

Jongin frowns down at him and hands his phone to Sehun, "Look at what it says. She's going to be really mad at you and me if you don't come this year."

Sehun sits up and looks over the message giving a small nod. "I'll go, but you'll have to go ahead. You know my finals end late, and then it's volunteering at the hospital." A look crosses his face, and Jongin groans, pulling Sehun into him.

"Stop thinking about finals, please," he begs, resting his head on Sehun's shoulder and feeling him shiver. "We're supposed to be watching a movie." Sehun laughs against him, bringing a smile to Jongin's lips.

"You distracted me first," Sehun teases.

"You sure you don't want to take my car," Jongin asks, as he plops down on the bed beside Sehun. The girls are going back home too, even though it'll be a day later, he's sure he can catch a ride with them.

Sehun shakes his head, "Kyungsoo's coming back for a week, so I'm catching a ride with him and making sure he stays awake."

Sehun moves into his space, and Jongin wraps his arms around him obligingly. It's a well-practiced dance that still makes Jongin flush with contentment every time. Cuddling, laying together, after a long day of classes and work is domestic. The two of them are only in their twenties, and maybe it's a far cry from what their peers are up to, but Jongin likes it better, likes it when he wakes up in the morning, and Sehun's wrapped around him still asleep.

******

Jongin classes are over for the semester, but he still wakes pretty early, walking into the spare bedroom where Sehun is already dressed and studying.

"Do you want to get breakfast," he asks. There's a cafe down the street with some delicious breakfast sandwiches and pastries that they often go to. Sehun grimaces, eyes never leaving the notebooks and textbooks in front of him.

"I'm really not hungry right now, Jonginnie." Jongin leans over, kissing his temple and picking up some of the discarded books and notes.

"Come with me to get coffee, then you can study your flashcards on the way." he watches as Sehun blinks down at the notebook a few times before nodding his head.

"Okay," he says with reluctance. "Fine."

It's not too strange a sight for them to be walking arm and arm, Sehun's backpack slung across Jongin's shoulders and Sehun eyes strictly on the flashcards. It's not too strange a sight because they live in an area filled with college kids, and it's finals season.

Breakfast isn't a quiet affair by a longshot. Sehun sips his coffee, and Jongin quizzes him on his flashcards in between bites of his croissant. Jongin knows that much of Sehun's stress comes from the fact that this is his first year in the medical sciences portion of school, that even studying with Kyungsoo hadn't fully prepared him for how intensive this part would be. Jongin doesn't think he has much to worry about because as Jongin quizzes him on his pathology flashcards, not understanding a thing, Sehun gets every question correct.

They walk back to their apartment building together, the school being in the opposite direction of the cafe. Sehun's already on his second coffee for the day after buying one to-go.

"You'll be gone when I get back," Sehun states as they stand outside of the building, his flashcards tucked away for a moment. They've been apart for longer, a year in the beginning, and then last year Sehun didn't come back home with him. Still, the saying goodbye part never gets easier, even if it's only a temporary one.

"I can go back in the evening," Jongin suggests.

"No," Sehun says, "You already told your parents when you'd be home. Besides, I need to study."

"Eat properly and dress warmly," Jongin demands with a stern frown. Sehun blinks a little, his lips pulling back into a teasing grin. "Really, you're telling me this?"

"That was one time," Jongin whines, shuffling closer into Sehun's space. He had gone a little mad during finals last year, and had walked the distance to the nearest convenience store in a hoodie and slides, which would not have been a big deal so close to winter if it hadn't also been the first snow of the season. He'd been a shivering mess when he made it back home. Sehun leans a little closer, pressing the briefest touch of lips to the corner of his mouth and moving back in the blink of an eye.

"I'll see you soon."

******

Jongin likes coming home. He often speaks with his parents over the phone or through video calls, with the occasional visit from his mother when she finds herself with some free time. He sees his dogs less, video calls a poor substitute in between the times when he can come home but better than nothing. Home is always warm; waking up to his dogs in the morning and sitting down to dinner with his parents doesn't get old even if he does.

He spends that first week at home feeling nostalgic and texting Sehun late into the night. By the end of it, all the stress Jongin didn't realize still clung to his shoulders has evaporated. His senior project, the one that he needs to do to graduate and has increasingly frustrated him, is put on hold for the time being.

"When are Hyung and his girlfriend supposed to get here," Jongin asks. He's sitting in the kitchen watching his mother cook after a quick run to the nearby convenience store to pick up a missing ingredient for her. He'd seen Sehun's aunt on the way, but she'd turned away from him before he could even figure out if he should say hello or not. It didn't matter much to Jongin. He wasn't fond of her or really anyone in Sehun's family. Sehun's mother was the only semi-tolerable one, and she often looked at Jongin like she wished he didn't exist, like Sehun would simply stop being gay if Jongin wasn't around.

"The day after Christmas," She replies, her tone so sullen Jongin can't help but look up in concern. "When does Sehun get here again?"

"Christmas eve," Jongin replies. "He volunteers at a children's hospital since he wants to be a pediatrician, and they usually go around passing out gifts to the children on that day. Kyungsoo's bringing him back in the evening."

"Such a sweet boy," She says, going back to her chopping. "Jongin, tell me honestly, is Jongdae planning to get married?"

Jongin nearly drops his phone in alarm, staring at his mother's back with wide eyes as she continues chopping. "Uh– I don't know, mom. Did he say something?"

"He's never brought a girl home before," she replies. "and so close to the holidays. It must be serious."

"Maybe," Jongin muses, "he didn't tell me anything like that."

"He's too young to get married," She states as if she hadn't married Jongin's father when they were much younger, still in college, and stupidly in love. Jongin doesn't remind her of that. If Jongdae does plan to marry this girlfriend, then he can plead his own case. Jongdae gets a lot of his personality from their mom, making him naturally better at arguing with her. "What about you?"

"Huh," Jongin says, "what about me?"

"Any girls planning to snatch my youngest away, or are you going to badly pretend to not date until you meet the one like your brother?" She emphasizes the one, and if she was facing him, Jongin's sure he would have seen her rolling her eyes. Jongdae was absolutely girl-crazy growing up. Although it seemed to work against him in middle and high school, he had a slew of serious and not-so-serious girlfriends he never brought around by college. Jongin met a few by virtue of being Jongdae's baby brother and being in the right place at the right time.

"About that," Jongin says, slow and unsure, staring at his mother's back. She turns then, gaze seeming to roam over his face, assessing him.

"Let me add this to the pot," she says, gesturing at the chopped ingredients. She does so, then washes her hands using the kitchen sink, wiping them on the apron Jongin bought her when he was fifteen. "OK, lay it on me. Are you married? Do you have a child? Do you have two?"

"Mooooom," Jongin whines, stretching out the word as he pouts at her, and she laughs, "this is serious."

"I could tell from your face," she says when her laughter subsides. "Don't worry, okay. I'll try to be understanding even if you've made me a grandmother before my prime."

"I," Jongin begins and swallows thickly. "There are no girls... There will never be any... girls." He looks up to his mother, catches sight of her furrowed brows and narrowed eyes, and tries to swallow again, his throat suddenly dry. "I don't like girls, mom… I'm gay."

He hasn't felt this anxious when talking about his uality in years. When he was around Kyungsoo, Sehun, and the girls, it felt normal. When he was around the others, occasionally, he would wonder what it would be like to tell them. Still, even those moments have never inspired the same anxiety he feels now. He nearly spits the word gay out, can barely say it above a whisper.

A hand clamps down on his shoulder, and he jumps in his seat, looking back up at his mother. He's taller than her and broader, but they're nearly the same height when he's sitting.

"I'm not going to say I expected that," she mutters softly, the hand on his shoulder moving to run through his hair. "I really didn't expect that, but it's fine, you know that, right? This world can be cruel to gay men and women, so you've just tripled my worry for you, but all I've ever wanted since before I could ever hold you or your brother was for healthy, happy, and vibrant children. Jongin, you're one of the sweetest boys I know. You are smart, you are kind, you're a great son and an amazing friend from what I've seen. You're a grown man even if you are still my sensitive baby boy that cries so easily."

"I don't cry easily anymore," Jongin says, wiping fruitlessly at his eyes as his mother holds him close.

"You're all those things, and you like men, and that's okay. You don't stop being those things based on who you do or don't like."

It feels like it takes forever for him to stop crying. His mother holds him through it even though he feels silly.

"So," Jongin's mother begins going back to dinner, the stew having been set to a low simmer while they had their heart-to-heart. "Do you have a boyfriend then? You know, I'm more okay with this than I first thought. I really was worried you were going to tell me I had a grandchild, and I think I would have been upset by that. It would have been one thing to have a pregnant girlfriend, accidents happen, but to have a full-fledged child and not tell me for, however long, would have hurt."

Jongin tries his hardest not to laugh as he listens to his mother work through her feelings, more than a little pleased at how she seems to be taking the news.

"Mom," he says, interrupting her rambling. She throws him a look and turns back to her stew.

"I think, Kyungsoo might be gay," she says. "The neighborhood aunties are always harassing Kyungsoo's mother since he's such a sweet kid and he's going to be a doctor, but Kyungsoo's mother always says he's not interested their daughters. She always tells it like it's some joke only she knows, so the neighborhood aunties think she's stuck up."

"That doesn't mean he's gay, mom," Jongin says, sighing even though Kyungsoo is gay and his mother does know.

"Oh, I know, but she wasn't always like this. She used to joke with the aunties about marriage arrangements. Besides, I'm just talking. He's older than you, so if he were gay, wouldn't it be nice to have a friend with some experience. When I started dating, I only ever had my same-age friends to rely on, and they hardly knew more than me. Are you seeing Sehun?"

"I– yes," Jongin says slowly. "We've been together for almost five years now."

"He's a good son-in-law," his mother says. "Is that why he needed to stay with his aunt in his final year of high school?"

"It's part of the reason," Jongin says, "but that's not really my story to tell."

She turns to him one last time, "I love you, and I loved Sehun as if he was my own son. If he makes you happy, it makes me happy. Your father will definitely feel the same way."

Jongin grins bright, getting up from his seat and bringing his mother into another hug, his smile refusing to leave even as she fusses had him.

******

Jongin leans back in his seat, eyes closing briefly as a strong gust of wind mercilessly attacks him. He'd rather be inside, but Sehun will be here any minute. Jongin wants to meet him outside, so he isn't walking into Jongin's house, unaware of the conversation he'd had with his parents. Jongin had thought of calling him or texting him about the new development, but he wanted to do it in person and if Jongin's parents knowing made Sehun uncomfortable with staying there, he would find them somewhere else to stay for the time being.

The rumbling of a car breaks Jongin from his thoughts. Kyungsoo's car is still the same, and he gives a small wave at Jongin when he stops across from Jongin's house. Sehun says something inaudible with a laugh and grabs his bag from the backseat.

"Why are you waiting outside for me," Sehun asks as he crosses the street and approaches Jongin. "You're going to get sick."

"I couldn't wait to see you," Jongin says when Sehun drops in the seat beside him, laughing to himself as Sehun lightly hits his shoulder.

"I hate when you get all cheesy," Sehun lies, a glare on his face despite the rosy tint to his cheeks. Jongin grabs his gloved hand, pulling it into his lap.

"I told my parents about us," he whispers, eyes never leaving Sehun's face. He watches as the smile Sehun was trying hard to fight slips entirely, feel him tense beside him. He runs his fingers over Sehun's knuckles, trying to soothe him. "I cried, my mom cried, and now she's trying to learn French."

"What," Sehun asks, turning to face him, the confusion so visible Jongin can't help but laugh.

"They call you their son-in-law now," Jongin says. "She thinks we should get married in France since you went there for your gap year, and it's legal there."

"You're joking," Sehun says, glaring at him again. He makes to take his hand from Jongin, and Jongin tightens his grip, not enough to hurt but enough for Sehun to stop trying to let go.

"Nope," Jongin says. "My parents have loved you for years, and they want me to be happy. It works out for all of us that you're the person that makes me happy."

Sehun lets out a laugh. It's a watery disbelieving sound that has Jongin pulling the boy into his arms, neighbors be damned. "Sehun, I would never joke about this, and I would never put you in a situation that makes you uncomfortable. If you want to come inside, my mom has hot chocolate waiting for us, if not, I can take you wherever you want to go."

Sehun pulls away after a moment. His laughter is a little more like how it usually sounds, even though his eyes are red and glistening. "I like your mom's hot chocolate," Sehun says.

~~~~~~~ ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞ ~~~~~~~~

Birthdays are bittersweet for Sehun. Before his life was upended and before he turned twenty, birthdays always consisted of the same routine, a dinner at a restaurant, and a pricy gift. Those weren't bad birthdays. They were just birthdays, and it wasn't like Sehun knew different. Birthday parties weren't things for him after he turned eight, and his father got his big promotion, and that was ok.

His 20th birthday may have been his worst birthday. The routine was similar even though his father wasn't around, but then his mother decided to guilt trip him about his uality and feelings for Jongin. The birthday after that was spent in France, his friends there took him out and bought him a cake. His friends in Korea sent him a care package, and video called him despite the time difference.

Every birthday after has been a new thing like a trip to Lotte World or tickets to a music fest. His friends are amazing for it.

This year he doesn't expect much, now that with the exception of Soojung and he, they're all out of school and working. Soojung decided to pursue her master's in psychology to give her the best shot at getting a job post-graduation. Jinri had started working at KBS as a junior writer after her internship in her third year. Jongin had even gotten a job as an art teacher for a private academy. He often complained about the politics of the place but loved teaching and his students.

The older boys had also gotten far in their careers with Kyungsoo spending nearly 90 percent of his time at the hospital as he neared the end of his clerkship rotations, Chanyeol researching microorganisms in Australia, Jongdae working for a massive marketing firm, and Baekhyun working for an idol company training kids in singing and freelancing on the side as a piano teacher.

Busy was an understatement, so Sehun doesn't expect much outside of the usual money deposited in his account by his parents, a few well-wishes in the Kakaotalk group chat, and Jongin showering him with his special brand of it's Sehun's birthday affection. It will be nice.

Sehun's birthday is on a Saturday this year, which means he sleeps in until Jongin kisses him awake and forces him to shower and get dressed.

"Where are we going today," he asks with a yawn as he slumps against the sofa. Jongin looks up from his phone while Sehun checks him out. He's dressed nice, not in the usual pressed slacks and button-up shirts for work, but more than his usual attire of t-shirts and hoodies. He's wearing a knit sweater, the neckline wide and exposing his collarbones with every other movement, and dark denim jeans.

"You know that pastry shop in Gangnam? The crepe place?"

Sehun perks up at that. He'd been dying to go to the place since it opened back in January, but he'd found himself too busy to justify a trip to Gangnam, and now with classes back in full swing going anywhere that wasn't school, home, and back, it didn't seem worth it.

******

The streets of Gangnam are busy since it's a Saturday, and Sehun's forced to dodge groups of people, but even that can't wipe the smile off of his lips.

"Oh Sehun," he hears a familiar voice shout as they edge closer to the pastry shop, and seconds later, he has his arms filled with one Choi Jinri. She grins up at him, all teeth, and gums despite the pale purple peeking through her under-eye concealer. "Happy birthday!"

Sehun hugs her back and lets her pull him along to greet Soojung.

"Told you I'd go to this pastry shop with you," Soojung says, bringing him into a quick hug. "Happy birthday."

They agree on no work talk, even though the way Jinri's face darkens when her job is mentioned makes him curious. Soojung and Jinri take pictures and whine at Sehun to finally create an Instagram account to tag him as if they don't just tag Jongin instead. The crepes are delicious and remind Sehun of this little creperie he'd accidentally come across while back in Paris.

"There's more," the girls say with grins on their lips, promising to see them later as they part after their brunch. Jongin's mother calls him on the ride back home, wishing him a happy birthday and promising to bring more homecooked food when she next visits despite Sehun's protests that she really doesn't have to.

In the evening, Jongin takes him to an escape room where they must find the real killer before the time runs out. It's something he's been dying to do for a while now, and just like with the crepe shop, he could never find the time to go. They manage to solve the mystery with five minutes left on the clock and go for drinks and dinner at one of the neighborhood's popular gay bars. It's not as large as some of the ones he's gone to before, but it's nearly packed, and the drinks are cheap. Somehow the groups surrounding them manage to join in on a drunken rendition of happy birthday that has Sehun burying his face in the palms of his hands in embarrassment.

******

Kyungsoo graduates in June. After years of study, he graduates with honors and has a residency waiting for him at one of the best teaching hospitals in the city. Chanyeol, on vacation from Australia, drives Kyungsoo's mother to Seoul, and they all watch the ceremony together. Even Jongin and Jongdae have taken the day off to be there for Kyungsoo. Jinri had quit KBS in May, citing that she didn't sign up to do the same grunt work she'd done as an intern, and begun working as a freelance writer. She was still in the process of getting off the ground, but she'd just gotten a feature in a popular online site detailing her reasons for quitting and giving advice to young female freelancers.

The best part about the ceremony is having Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Chanyeol with them to loudly cheer Kyungsoo on and make the soon-to-be doctor's ears flush red in embarrassment. They all go to Kyungsoo's favorite BBQ place after. The place is popular with large groups like theirs, and they have some of the juiciest meat in all of Seoul.

There are ten of them, Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo's boyfriend Minseok, Kyungsoo's mother, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongdae, Jongin, Soojung, Jinri, and Sehun, and they're seated within moments. Kyungsoo's mother mostly talks to Minseok as the group of them take turns teasing Kyungsoo and congratulating him, all of them feeling proud at what their friend has managed to accomplish.

Sehun hasn't felt this happy in so long. Just being able to be amongst them with Jongin's hand on his thigh radiating warmth makes him feel complete. They toast in congratulations and then to health and happiness for all of them. Jongin looks at him during the second toast and Sehun grins back. If nearly six years ago someone told him he'd be here surrounded by a group of friends, he loved like family, he would have accused them of lying. He never expected such a wonderful thing to come from the worst experience in his life.

Jongin is whispering in his ear, wondering if Kyungsoo's mother is just as eager to marry Kyungsoo off to his boyfriend as Jongin's mother seems to be when Sehun feels like he's being watched. He looks up from his plate, eyes widening in muted surprise as Baekhyun stares at him with a narrowed gaze and then looks towards Jongin. He doesn't look away even though it feels like he's just fallen headfirst in ice-cold water.

Jongdae knows about them. Jongin had a heart-to-heart with his brother immediately after speaking to his parents. Jongdae was ok with it, said it made sense, and then made Sehun swear to never hurt his baby brother. Chanyeol was in Australia then, even though he came back home briefly for Seol Nal. The times they see Baekhyun are often brief and far in between, so coming out to the rest of their friends just hasn't happened yet.

Baekhyun's expression shifts. He's smiling in his typical brilliant way as Jongin pulls away, and the dinner continues on as normal.

"Jongin drive me home," Baekhyun demands at the end of dinner. Kyungsoo will be taking his mother and boyfriend in his car. Chanyeol is apparently driving the girls home, and Jongin will be dropping his brother off and now Baekhyun as well.

Sehun really tries not to let his nerves show as he walks with Jongdae towards Jongin's car, but he can hardly pay attention to Jongdae's story about his workplace, too lost in his thoughts about what Baekhyun might be planning.

Jongdae's new place is closer than Baekhyun's, so after dropping him off, it's only the three of them in the car.

It's silent at first, nothing but the low humming of the radio as Sehun looks out of the window, trying to ease his nerves. The most important people know about them and support them, but Baekhyun and Chanyeol still matter. They're important in their own way, and if Baekhyun has issues with them, Sehun won't know what to do after. It will hurt, but he's been through it before, Jongin hasn't, and Baekhyun and Chanyeol are like brothers to him. If Baekhyun doesn't support them, it will hurt Jongin.

"Jongin, remember all those years ago when you told me you liked someone? Did you confess," Baekhyun asks. He's sitting in the backseat of the car, but he's pushed himself forward to speak. The question breaks Sehun's train of thoughts, making him look at Baekhyun and his boyfriend. Jongin is blushing, his hands seeming to grasp tighter at the steering wheel.

"Uh, yeah… I did," He mutters, eyes never straying from the road once, not even when he stops at a red light.

"And," Baekhyun encourages. "How did it go? All these years and still don't know if you've ever dated anyone. I mean, we gossiped about it, but we never saw anyone new with you. What about you, Sehun? You guys are roommates, surely you'd know if he brought anyone home."

"Hyung," Jongin whines. His face is so red he looks like he might combust. It causes Baekhyun to laugh.

"We're all adults here," Baekhyun teases with a cheeky grin. "Seriously, I'm extremely disappointed right now. You know, I was expecting to come home and see you with someone with like twenty face tattoos, but you had jetted off to Japan instead. I really couldn't figure out what kind of person your family would disapprove of." That causes Sehun to look at his boyfriend again.

Eventually, Baekhyun settles down and starts humming songs under his breath, and even though Sehun wants to grab Jongin's hand in support, he doesn't. They do make eye contact during a stoplight, and Sehun does his best to silently convey his support.

Jongin finally looks away from the road when they make it to Baekhyun's apartment. "The person I liked then is in the car with us right now," he says softly.

"Me," Baekhyun gasps so dramatically Sehun nearly slams his forehead into the dashboard. He doesn't know if he's exasperated or humored by the man in the backseat, but the annoyed look Jongin sends him makes him bite his lip hard. "I'm sorry, Jongin, I only see you as a younger brother. I know I'm incredibly handsome–"

"Hyung," Jongin says with that terribly exasperated tone of his, and Sehun really can't stop his laughter this time. "Not you!"

"Well, ok then," Baekhyun says, sitting back in his seat and crossing his arms. "I wouldn't date my best friend's little brother anyway, and well, I'm straight."

"When did you find out," Jongin asks, frowning at Baekhyun through the rearview mirror.

"You know, I can be clever when I want to," Baekhyun says with a shrug. At Sehun's look, Baekhyun grins a teasing little smile. "Fine, I saw you guys kiss back then, and then you got all mopey and wasn't talking to Sehun, then you came to me, and well I put two and two together."

"That long," Sehun asks.

"You two really aren't subtle," Baekhyun says with a shrug, "You look like your brother when you're in love, Jongin. It's like your shooting hearts at Sehun through your eyes. It's indecent!"

"You used to walk around the apartment you shared with Chanyeol and my brother , and you call me indecent."

"Works of art need to be on display, Nini. I was doing a public service. Making the rest of us singles have to view you two in love for years is cruel!"

"So, you approve," Sehun asks, interrupting the two bickering men.

"Does Jongdae know," Baekhyun asks instead.

"Yes," Jongin answers.

Baekhyun nods his head and looks at Sehun and then Jongin. "I planted the seed in his head years ago after you came to me, told him you were down because your first love wasn't speaking to you. He thought I was joking back then but wasn't disgusted or anything, even played along a little. It probably made it easier for him to come to terms with it when you told him. Did you tell your mom, Nini?"

"Yeah," Jongin says, "and she approved right off the bat."

"Like I said," Baekhyun says. "Nothing about the person you love could ever make them feel disappointed in you because I feel the same way, and you're not even my real little brother."

He turns to Sehun again, the playful look having melted into something much more severe. Sehun unconsciously tenses, expecting to be scolded or threatened into not breaking Jongin's heart. He would never purposely do it, but there's something a little unsettling about these always smiling and playful men turning so serious when they look at him. The sober look eases away as Baekhyun gives him the same smile he had when speaking to Jongin.

"I want you both to be happy. You became like another little brother to me, Sehun."

The ride home is silent after Baekhyun leaves, but they both can't help but smile, happy in the knowledge that there is one more person that supports them, that would go to bat for them. Even if the world changes slowly, even if they can't be fully open in public, the people that matter have been so accepting so far, and that's all that matters.

"You know," Sehun begins. "I know we're young, but I really can't imagine myself with anyone other than you."

Jongin laugh sends a shock of delight throughout his entire body, and Sehun can't help but grin down at his lap. Jongin slips a hand off the steering wheel and over the console, holding onto one of Sehun's hands. "That's good because my mom will be disappointed if there's no Paris wedding in our future. It was already a hassle to convince her that we should wait until after your residency."



Man, it's been a long two weeks, hasn't it? I'm really sorry that it took this long I had to rewrite the entire thing but at least it's long right? Honestly, the numbers in this chapter are all over the place, like a third of the way through I realized that medical school was six years in South Korea not seven, so honestly, just ignore anything that puts a number to the years that passed in the fanfic because it's probably wrong.

Second, my memories are pretty bad so IDK if I told you guys about the chapter names, but Jongin's chapters are named after the songs in Lorde's Melodrama since it was a staple album when I was in the middle of writing and Runner is by Kevin Abstract. Sehun's chapters are songs from Troye Sivan's Blue Neighbourhood since that was the biggest inspiration for this fanfic. Finally, the epilogue is a Carly Rae Jepsen song. The chapter titles aren't really based on the songs they're named after but I thought I'd tell you in case anyone was curious or just wanted to listen to the songs.

We've reached the real end and I'm sooooooooo happy and a little sad. I don't think I've ever loved a fanfic as much as I love this one. I still don't want to let it go but I think it's time to move on to something new.