The Decision

What Went Wrong?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun slowly put down her sleeping daughter on her bed and sat down for awhile. He fixed her hair and set her blanket to cover her body. He looked at her lovingly as he wished for her not to grow up fast. After a few minutes of watching his daughter sleeping, he finally stood up and went back to his room.

After taking his bath, Kyuhyun is still bothered with what his daughter had said earlier. They both weren’t able to explain it to her. They didn’t know what to say or haven’t talked on how they will explain it to her. They were trying their best for Angel not to feel lacking or different with other kids her age but there are things that they cannot just control.

He took his phone beside his lampshade and made a call.

“Hi…” he greeted as soon as the person on the other line answered.

“Hi… I was about to call you.”

“I guess about Angel.”

“Yeah…”

“It seems like I am not the only one worried.”

“I am not naive, Kyuhyun, just so you know. I am always worried for her.”

Kyuhyun sighed, “Well, I think, we need to talk… about Angel and how are we going to explain everything to her.”

“I know and after her questions earlier, I realized it too.”

“I guess, we’ve been postponing this talk unconsciously for a long time, both too scared to talk about it.”

“Well, I’m just scared of what her reaction will be.”

He sighed, “Me too but we gotta do what we gotta do… for our daughter’s sake.”

“I guess, you’re right.”

“Would lunch tomorrow be a good time to talk? I’ll come by your shop.”

“That would be fine. Let’s leave Angel with Sooyoung for a while.”

He nodded, “I’m fine with it. I’ll come by at around 11?”

“Okay.”

“See you tomorrow. Good night.”

“Good night.”

He locked his phone and gets ready for bed. After that call he realized that it was the longest they’ve ever had after their divorce and how much he missed hearing her voice. What went wrong? Why did we have to be in this kind of situation, thoughts that run through his mind every night. He sighed and decides to call it a day.

---

“Kyuhyun… Kyuhyun…” Siwon called, shaking the wasted body of his officemate-slash-friend to wake him up after drinking his third bottle of brandy, “Kyuhyun, wake up. Let’s go home.”

Kyuhyun lifted his head, looked at his friend, “Who says we’re going home? It’s friday night! There’s no work tomorrow! Let’s celebrate the end of a hell week!” he signaled the bartender and gave him another glass but before his lips touch the glass, his friend took it away from him, “Hey!”

“Stop it, Cho Kyuhyun!” he said sternly, “You’re too drunk. You can’t even walk straight.”

He chuckled sarcastically until his friend’s phone suddenly rang.

“Hi, Hon. We’re on our way. Yes, I’m with him. He’s spent. I’ll be home soon. Don’t wait for me, okay? Sorry, Hon… I love you, too. Bye.”

Kyuhyun chuckled again, “How ironic it is that the former college playboy is still married and I, the loyal one, is the one divorced. You have your wife waiting for you and me? I have no family waiting for me…” He took the glass on Siwon’s hand and drank it in one shot. He tried to stood up and lost his balance but Siwon caught him and quietly led him to his car and sent him home.

---

Seohyun was working on some flower arrangement when Angel with his father came by to the shop.

“Mama!” Angel shouted as she ran to her mother.

“Hi, baby…” she greeted with her loving smile as she hugged and carried her, “how are you?”

“I’m fine, Mama. I missed you.” she hugged her tight.

“I missed you, too.” she tightened the hugged and loosen it then looked at her as she realized something, “Have you been eating a lot? You feel heavier.”

“She eats a lot when her Aunt Boa cooks for her. I think she loves her aunt’s meals.” her ex-husband interrupted.

She smiled genuinely at him, “Really? That’s great! Maybe I’m not that good of a cook. I guess, I should learn a recipe or two from unnie so that little Angel wouldn’t be picky eater.”

“Well, I love the meals you make.” he unconsciously blurted.

The former couple looked at each other in awkwardness.

Kyuhyun looked away, “Uh-- what I mean, you’re a good cook. You just haven’t found what would satisfy Angel’s taste buds.”

“Well… thanks…” she awkwardly replied not noticing that Angel has been observing their conversation.

“Hi Kyuhyun,” Sooyoung greeted, stopping the awkwardness between the two, “Hi, Little Angel!” she greeted excitedly as she took her from her mother’s arms, “You missed me?”

“Yes! I missed you, too!” she said energetically as her mother puts her down for her to go to her godmother.

“Sooyoung,” the father called, “I bought food for lunch. Sorry if we can’t come together for lunch…”

“It’s fine. I’ll take care of Angel. Just go on and do that talk and don’t worry about her.” She smiled.

“We’ll go ahead.” Seohyun said getting her bag behind the counter, “We’ll be back later, baby.” Then kissed her daughter.

“Ba-bye, Mama. Ba-bye Papa.” the little girl said waving at her parents.

Sooyoung watched the former couple leaving the shop with a concerned looked. I hope, everything goes well.

---

“Seohyun-ah! Seohyun-ah!!”

Shouting and non-stop ringing of their doorbell woke her up. She slowly stood up from her and her daughter’s shared bed. She went down the living room and looked at the intercom who’s been abusing their doorbell.

“Kyuhyun?”

She went out of the house to meet him.

“What are you doing here?” she asked as soon as she opened the gate.

“Seohyun…” he whispered.

“Do you even know what time it is? It’s past bedtime and with what you’re doing you’re going to --” she stopped when she was suddenly hugged by her ex-husband.

“Seohyun…” he cried, “I’m sorry… please forgive me. Let’s work this out… we can work this out… please give me another chance, please… please, Seohyun…” he continued to cry.

“K--Kyuhyun…” a lone tear fell from her eyes as soon as she said his name. Truth be told, she misses him. There wasn’t a night that she didn’t cry herself to sleep ever since the divorce had been finalized. “Kyuhyun… you should go home. You’re drunk. Your parents might be worried for you.”

He didn’t reply but continued to cry on her shoulders.

---

“So… where should we start?” Seohyun spoke up after finishing their meal.

“First off, I think we stop being awkward with each other.” he said after placing the napkin he used to wipe her lips, on the table, “I suggest we should be more open. We should know what the other person do so when Angel asks, we know what to tell her.”

Seohyun took a deep breath after hearing what his ex-husband said.

“Seohyun, we can’t be awkward in front of her. She’s a smart girl and as soon as she feels that there’s something off between us, she’ll probably ask us a bunch of questions.”

She took another deep breath and looked at him, “Okay, I’ll try.”

“We can’t just try. We have to do it.”

She sighed, “Ok…”

“I know, for one year that we’ve got divorced, I understand that it’s been difficult for us. It was difficult for me and you know it.”

There was a sting of pain in his words and Seohyun felt it and saw it th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter