VIII.

Devil May Cry

Choi Seungcheol's eyes are tired and are already red because of too much crying. It had been six days since the love of his life is killed in an accident. A not-so-accident. A crime disguised as an accident. Seungcheol knows about it. He can hear the people around him whispering and talking about how the King of Koryu ordered the killing of all the witches and wizards in the kingdom. It's 1887 and practicing witchcraft and wizardry is a crime that is punishable only by beheading.

Seungcheol's eyes begin to water again. His eyes are so tired that it hurts him literally if a single tear escapes his eyes. His heart and soul is in pure agony. He doesn't deserve this. Lee Jihoon doesn't deserve this. Lee Jihoon doesn't deserve to die.

Seungcheol stares at the old and serrated novella in his hand. Its pages are yellowish, almost brown because of its old age and its bind broken, separating the pages of the book.

Lee Jihoon is not a wizard.

Lee Jihoon is a simple man with simple wants in life; to love and be loved which Seungcheol is happily fulfilling with all his heart. Not until that dreadful night when a group of men entered their humble abode and dragged Jihoon away. Seungcheol was not present during that incident because of his work, because one of his client needed his help. Seungcheol was not able to protect Jihoon. He chose to let Jihoon be alone in their house while he do what he does best; practicing black magic and wizardry.

Choi Seungcheol is a wizard.

"If I only knew. If I only knew Jihoon, I shouldn't had left you alone. I'm so sorry. I love you Jihoon." Seungcheol's hands shake and his voice breaks as his heart shatters in pieces. Seungcheol tightly holds the novella as he murmurs the words written on it.

"I, Choi Seungcheol, a wizard who possesses knowledge about the unknown and the world beyond this one is summoning you, a creature of darkness, that could grant my wish and be of my command. I'll do everything and give anything for you to accept my offer."

Seungcheol inhales as he waits for the summoned to show up. His eyes wander around the room where he is in; the pentagram, the candles, the offered chickens and lambs, everything that you will see in an offering is there. But still, there is no such creature that showed.

Is my power not enough? Is my offer not enough? Am I that weak that I couldn't even summon even a petty creature from the dark?

"Please. Someone, somebody, help me! All I want is for Jihoon to be back! All I want is Jihoon to be with me." Seungcheol repeats the vow, more solemnly this time. Still, nothing happened.

Seungcheol growls, his throat aching but nothing compares to the hurt he's feeling inside.

"I, Choi Seungcheol, a wizard who possesses knowledge about the unknown and the world beyond this one is bestowing a curse upon all the people whose living in this kingdom. They will suffer, famine will come their way and they will not be able to bounce back after that. The people who murdered Jihoon will forever be haunted by the things they did, it will cause their life. I'm putting a hex on everyone!"

The pentagram drawn on the floor glows and a man materializes, his left eye is charcoal-colored while the right one is violet.

"Choi Seungcheol." The creature standing on the pentagram says.

Seungcheol looks the creature straight in the eyes and without any hesitation he says, "Bring Lee Jihoon back to life and you can take me, my humanity, my soul and anything you want."

The creature grins, showing a set of perfect teeth. He snarls as he studies Seungcheol from head to toe.

"Anything I want? Are you sure?" The creature's eyes are changing from violet to emerald. He slowly approaches Seungcheol who just nods his head.

"What can you offer me then?"

"I told you, I'll give you anything you want. Just bring Lee Jihoon back." Seungcheol's face is blank but his heart is racing.

"Alright then. Is that the human?" The creature points his finger towards Jihoon's body lying peacefully at the bed. Seungcheol's heart breaks for the nth time as he looks at Jihoon's body.

When Seungcheol went home the morning after the incident, he found Jihoon covered with his own blood, his glistening blood pooling around him. Seungcheol howled as he hugged Jihoon's body. As soon as he finished cleaning Jihoon's body and putting him in a clean clothing, Seungcheol asked one man living near them what happened though he already knew what. The man told Seungcheol that he heard a commotion and he thinks that some thieves broke in and Jihoon saw them and they killed poor Jihoon. Seungcheol's blood boiled. That's not true. Jihoon was not a victim of chance, Jihoon was killed because the killers didn't find their target, which is the wizard. Who happens to be me. Instead of going back without something, they decided to kill Jihoon.

"Yes. That's him."

"Hmmn. He's adorable." The creature states, making Seungcheol smile to himself. I told you. Even the creature from the dark finds you adorable, Hoonie.

"Do you want to know what would be the payment for your wish?"

"My soul."

The creature joyfully claps his hands. "You're smart and well-informed. You know the basics of having a deal with someone like me. Very good! But I'll tell you this, kid. . ." The creature slings his arm around Seungcheol's shoulders causing Seungcheol to flinch a bit.

"I will not grant your wish but I'll take your soul nonetheless! Surprise! Surprise!" He laughs, his voice inhuman and Seungcheol feels his surroundings getting colder.

The creature stops from laughing and eyes Seungcheol.

"But look, I saw how you really want that human to live and breathe again so I'll be granting your wish. In one condition."

Seungcheol feels a warm hand choking him. The creature smiles and he chokes Seungcheol tighter. The creature held Seungcheol up, choking him in the air.

"Let me live inside Jihoon's body. Jihoon will be the new vessel of the other half of my soul. Don't worry, Jihoon will still be Jihoon, nothing will change. He will just be as powerful as the God in heavens."

Seungcheol's consciousness is slowly fading but he is able to choked out, "Will he be as normal as he was before he died?"

"Of course! He'll be as normal as other human. But I'm afraid you, young man, is not as lucky. Because I will take your soul."

Seungcheol didn't protest because all he can think of is Jihoon alive and happy and living normally. The devil cuts Seungcheol's cheek earning a loud scream from the human. The creature Seungcheol's blood and his eyes changing into a sapphire color.

"Before you take my soul, can I have one last wish?" Seungcheol asks, his eyes slowly closing. A bright ball of fire is approaching him in a fast pace.

"Sure. What is it?" The devil lifts his brow as he holds Seungcheol's limped body.

"I- I want to meet and b-be with Jihoon in another l-lifetime."

Seungcheol's breathing stops.

His eyes fluttering to a close.

His heart stopping at the same time.

Choi Seungcheol is dead.

The creature lays Seungcheol's body inside the pentagram that Seungcheol had drawn. The creature holds Seungcheol's hands and closes his own eyes. Seungcheol's body suspends in the air as his soul is slowly drawing out of his body.

"Hi there, little soul. You have a strong aura and a very powerful magic. You'd be a great addition to my clan. You will be the next to the throne of a very beautiful place I am making. You will be the first born descendant of the ruler." The creature snaps his fingers and the soul vanishes.

Choi Seungcheol's soul will be reborn as the first born child of the hell's king. His memories and feelings of being a human will be erased and he'll start anew as a devil.

The creature focuses his attention at the body lying at the bed, as he moves slowly towards it, the body glows and Jihoon's eyes suddenly opens. His right eye is of light brown color while the left one is violet.

"My other half. I finally found you." The devil smiles as he caresses Jihoon's face.

"A human fell in love with you and because of that love you were killed but because of that same love you were reborn by his sacrifice."

"Choi Seungcheol and Lee Jihoon will somehow meet again but they can't never be together unless they can prove that their love is much stronger than I am."

The body of the creature turns into white smoke which makes its way inside Jihoon's body. Jihoon closes his eyes as he convulses, the soul takes over his body or needless to say, completes his soul.

Jihoon's heart starts to beat again. He sharply inhales and jerks up straight. His head feels like it is breaking into half. Jihoon slowly opens his eyes and his sight is blurry.

Jihoon loudly howls, at the same time, a pair of gigantic fiery red wings appears from his back. The color of his eyes are now a pair of glowing violet. Jihoon stands and gazes at the dead body just below him. Jihoon's eyes begin to water and soon, he is crying without knowing why. His eyes goes back to their original shade and his magnificent red wings folds and disappears.

Lee Jihoon is once again a normal human without any memories. Lee Jihoon will die and be reborn. Die and be reborn, die and be reborn until the wish of Choi Seungcheol will be granted which is to meet and be with Jihoon again.

Lee Jihoon will meet Choi Seungcheol after a hundred and thirty years. They will not know each other but somehow, something will put them back together.

 

†††

Seungcheol opens his eyes and is met by Jihoon's concerned face.

"Are you alright Seungc-"

Jihoon didn't even finish his question when Seungcheol pulls him into a tight hug.

"Jihoon. It's me Choi Seungcheol!" Seungcheol utters. Jihoon freezes but eventually hugs Seungcheol back.

"I know. Calm down okay? What happened?" Jihoon tries to hide his uneasiness through smiling but his anxiety shows as he looks around his room, the room looks like it had been hit by a tornado.

"You don't remember?" Seungcheol studies Jihoon's face. Jihoon simply shakes his head.

"Nothing. I just uh-" Seungcheol contemplates whether to tell Jihoon the truth. The truth which is not that clear to Seungcheol. The truth that is needed to be unfolded sooner or later.

"I used my power too much. I'm sorry if I ruin your room." What an understatement, Seungcheol thinks to himself as he watches Jihoon forced a smile that it ended up looking like a grimace. Jihoon dismisses it by waving his hand.

"Nevermind this mess. Uhmm- are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine." Jihoon helps Seungcheol stand on his feet and leads Seungcheol to his own room.

"You're kind of clumsy for a devil." Jihoon smiles as he lays Seungcheol on his bed. Seungcheol smiles back and Jihoon feels butterflies on his stomach.

Seungcheol is looking at him as if he'd grown so fond of Jihoon suddenly. The tension and awkwardness Jihoon always feels whenever Seungcheol looks at him is gone, replaced by something Jihoon can't interpret. He can't put it into words but he can definitely feel it. It.

"I know. I'm such a clumsy devil." Seungcheol grins. Jihoon feels his cheeks flame, he abruptly stands and leaves a confused Seungcheol behind.

Jihoon slams the door behind him as he holds his chest, his breathing is rapid, his heart beating twice as fast and his eyes blurring. Oh ! But it feels so good.

Jihoon walks back to his room, or what is left of it. He is about to turn the knob when he is knocked unconscious by something or someone he can't see. Before Jihoon hit the floor, a pair of lean arms holds him.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Lee Jihoon."