XVIII.

Devil May Cry

 

Seungcheol sits with his eyes glued towards the plain colored wallpaper in front of him. He clasps his hands together and rests his chin against the back of it. He needs to think of a solution. Now.

He feels his veins inside his head tick and the gush of blood running through it. He's mad and it's not a good thing. Nothing good happens whenever he let himself lose at the surge of power threatening to take a hold of him.

The first born prince hears the sudden click of lock which signals that someone has open the door. He snarls at the direction and his eyes slowly turning into black orbs, the devil knew that he lost his inner battle. From that point, Choi Seungcheol is gone.

The devil's senses increased ten times as he watches a human emerged from the door. Lee Jihoon.

"Cheol? Seungcheol? Why is it so dark in here?"

The human locks the door behind him and feels for the light switch with his trembling hand. The devil can smell the human's fear, loving the way it mix with the air around them, loving the way how it makes him hungry.

Jihoon freezes as he sensed heavy breathing behind him. He is too afraid to move and too afraid to look back.

"Seungcheol? Is that you? You're scaring me." Jihoon whisperes as a hand took a hold of his. A hand with sharp and long nails. If Jihoon doesn't know that he's rooming with a temperamental devil he will likely just collapse right then and there. But because of the knowledge that he's indeed living with the most powerful devil makes it a lot easier to bear. Somewhat.

"I don't know what happened but- you're scaring me."

He hears the devil snarls, sending goosebumps all over Jihoon's body. Jihoon remains muted as his backpack slides off him and makes a loud thump as it hits the floor. The devil hisses behind him and grabbed him by the hips. Jihoon shrieks as the devil's nails tear his uniform and cut through his flesh.

The devil's hand finds its way on Jihoon's stomach. His hand stayed there for a couple of minutes before it shifted and he starts choking Jihoon.

"S-stop! I- I can't b-br-breathe!" Jihoon tries to disentangle himself from the tight hold of the devil but can't do it. The devil flips him, making him look into the face of the devil.

He is still Choi Seungcheol but his eyes are as black as the pit of hell. The devil is grinning as he watches Jihoon squirmed and fought under his hand.

"C-cheol! It's me! Lee Jihoon! Your Lee Jihoon!"  Jihoon's eyes start to water and when he tries to blink his eyes, darkness welcomes him. Jihoon gives all his strength as he pulls the devil towards him. The devil stumbles on his feet as he didn't expect the human to do that.

It is like watching in slow motion, Jihoon pulling the devil towards him and the devil falling. Their lips meet and the devil stops moving same as Jihoon who stops fighting.

Jihoon watches half in amusement and half in relief when Seungcheol's eyes slowly return to its normal shade. Jihoon smiles against the kiss and taps the devil's hand which is still on his neck. Seungcheol blinks at him in confusion and lets go of Jihoon.

Jihoon coughs as his lungs drink in the oxygen.

Seungcheol flicks his fingers and the lights in the room roared to life. His eyes almost bulge out of his head when he sees Jihoon panting on the floor with his hips clearly bleeding and his neck full of ugly scratches.

"W-what happened?" Seungcheol asks as he help Jihoon on his feet.

"I'm the one who should ask you that. You attacked me out of nowhere." Jihoon's voice is hoarse. Seungcheol picks Jihoon up as if he weighs nothing, he carries him bridal style heading to the human's room. Jihoon's about to protest when he feels the ache on his hips and his sight blurring. In a matter of seconds, he faints.

 

†††

Jihoon wakes with Seungcheol tending and cleaning his wounds or where the wounds should be, but all that is left is the dried blood which Seungcheol is wiping off with a wet cloth.

"H-hey."  Jihoon chokes. Seungcheol just hums and continues to wipe the blood off. Jihoon supports himself with his elbows as he stares at Seungcheol.

"Are you ok?" Jihoon asks but the devil doesn't even bats an eye. Jihoon stares at the devil in front of him and if he's correct, guilt is written all over the face of the devil. They are capable of feeling guilty?

"It's not your fault, you know? Just don't think about it. We all have that moment where we lost control." Jihoon gulps as the devil looks at him. The devil's eyes burning in an intriguing way, in every split second its color changes from brown to black to red, if you're not looking enough you will not catch it.

"I was about to kill you." Seungcheol states and pins Jihoon with a hard stare. "I was about to kill you, Jihoon and the idea that I was mere seconds from doing it scares me."

Jihoon blinks his eyes and he knows that this is not the right time to do it but he did it anyway.

He laughs.

"Why are you laughing?" The devil uses his powers and invades Jihoon's mind.

"I don't know? For a devil, you're really cute. I didn't know that devils can feel guilty and scared." Jihoon answered although his mouth didn't move. They are now talking indide Jihoon's mind.

"It's not even funny, Jihoon. Aren't you scared?"

Jihoon pushes himself up and the pain he felt awhile ago is gone. The devil healed him. He sits upright and tilts his head.

"I am scared. that! I am terrified. But it will not change the fact that I accepted you as my roommate even though I know that you're a devil, literally. So I know that those episodes will eventually happen. There will come a time where you will just eat me." The statement makes the devil grin and Jihoon awkwardly laughs.

"So what happened?" Jihoon verbally asks and the devil lowers his gaze.

"I couldn't control my powers so it took a hold of me, or my conscious self. It's happening whenever my emotions are all messed up. Especially if I am feeling angry or mad. It hadn't happen to me for a long time, that'll be the first time after almost 300 years. I'm usually good at keeping my emotions and anger at bay." Seungcheol thinks and runs a hand against his hair and if that is not the iest thing Jihoon ever see, he will be lying.

"Why were you mad in the first place?"

"The King of Hell wants you to be a sacrifice to him."

Jihoon freezes.

"The king of Hell? As in, your father? What does he want from me?" Jihoon is scared now. Dealing with Seungcheol and his two brothers are more than enough for him to handle but if the King himself wanted a piece of him too he knows he will not make it out.

"The King of Hell is planning a war against heaven. Legions of angels and armies of devils will battle it out for supremacy."

Jihoon thinks he's going deaf and his mind unable to process the information that the devil is telling him. War? Heaven and Hell? What do I have to do with this war?

"I can't understand. What does your father want from me? I am not strong. I am merely a human." Jihoon rubs the back of his neck as chills creep down his body.

The devil in front of him seizes him, contemplating whether to tell the truth or not.