XII.

Devil May Cry

Seungcheol's jaw is slacked and he can't believe his ears. Did I hear that right?

"The King himself was not sure if Lucifer had that kind of power to split his soul into half and be reincarnated once he had found his marred part like in the legends. He said it himself, Lee Jihoon is not Lucifer." Seungcheol counters.

"The King said that he had found his perfect weapon. A perfect weapon that no one can beat, no one can scratch, no one can destroy just like a diamond. And the name of that diamond is Lucifer. But he had an alias. He's now known as Lee Jihoon, the First Born Prince's human. That's the King's words, not mine." Jisoo tries to imitate their father's voice and failed, it came out sounding more like the Third Born Prince have a common cold.

"How can he be so sure that Jihoon is Lucifer?"

Seungcheol walks towards the window at the far end side. He needs to hear everything that his brother will say. After all, it's been a while since he last talk with the King of Hell so he doesn't have any idea of what's happening down there.

"He's not one hundred percent sure that Jihoon is Lucifer. Aside from the things that you said to him, he got nothing to back his theory up."

Seungcheol looks at Jisoo's reflection through the glass window and quirks his eyebrow at his younger brother.

"How can he prove his theory? Jihoon doesn't even know that he has another soul living inside him who's more powerful than a devil or an angel."

"How? That's simple, my brother. The king will kill Jihoon."

Seungcheol turns to his back and glares at Jisoo. Seungcheol finds the words coming off of the Third Born Prince's mouth foolish and had no sense. The King wants to use Jihoon then you are telling me that he wants him dead?

"You're already losing me."

"I mean, Jihoon doesn't know that he is Lucifer, or let's say Lucifer is using him as a vessel. You, yourself had met the violet eyed creature at unexpected times. We still don't know how or when will Jihoon transform. So what better way to let Lucifer out is to put him in a circumstance that will force him to reveal and protect himself. Death." Jisoo states matter of factly.

In Choi Seungcheol's mind that idea is absurd and unacceptable, killing someone just to see if he's really someone that they thought he is. It's like the life of a human is that invaluable. But in the First Born Prince of Hell's mind that idea is genius. He's just a mere human after all, his life is something that will eventually taken from him, we will just quicken the process. There are billions of people in the world, one dead human will not hurt.

"Lee Jihoon is under a contract with me." Seungcheol's voice is hard but it's laced with something that the First Born of Prince doesn't want to linger on.

"You also know that we're talking about the King of Hell, not some random devil. He can dismiss your contract in a flash." Jisoo says. Jisoo watches the First Born Prince crossed his arms against his chest and taps his forefinger lightly. A mannerism that the Third Born Prince is so accustomed to see on the older whenever he's agitated.

"Why are you telling me this?" Seungcheol leans against the wall, his arms still crossed against his chest.

"Don't you wanna know?" Jisoo lifts one of his eyebrow in amusement. "Let's say, I'm giving you a heads up. I don't want you cussing around because the King snatched your candy without your knowledge." Jisoo smiles making Seungcheol smirk. If the First Born of Hell will choose between his two younger brothers, it will definitely be the Third Born Prince.

"How did you know all these?" Seungcheol asks in curiousity.

"The news have wings and the land have ears.' Jisoo answers in defiance.

"From the Second Born." Seungcheol rolls his eyes and a loud laughter erupts from Jisoo.

If the First Born Prince will choose the Third Born Prince, there's no mistaking that when the other two princes are asked the same question they will answer one another. The Second Born and Third Born Prince are as close as a real brother can get.

"And I want to know what would you feel about leading the legions of devils in a war against the heaven."

"I will lead, the what?" Seungcheol's eyebrows crease and he glowered at his brother.

"You're the First Born, the King is expecting you to lead his army of devils in perishing the array of angels. You're the one who will make a way for him. That's the reason why he always favoured you in everything. Among the three of us, his descendants, you're the most powerful and you're the most loyal to him. He knows that you'll follow his every command."

"But the King didn't talk to me yet. He didn't mention that he had a plan like that."

"He will. Soon. He's just waiting for the right time."

Seungcheol waits for another statement from Jisoo but got nothing. Seungcheol's eyes are getting heavier, it's past midnight and his human body is screaming for rest. And after those things that he heard, he needs to get a good sleep, wake up the next morning and think of what will his actions be once the King asks him to be the leader of the pact, once the King gets Jihoon and kills him. Seungcheol mentally shook his head.

"I know you didn't get yourself in all these troubles just to give me a heads up. Spill it." Seungcheol sighs, he's physically tired but he needs all the information he can get from Jisoo.

"You know me very well." Jisoo chuckles.

"I don't want a war. Especially a war against heaven."

To say that the Third Born Prince of Hell is a gentle and soft devil is an understatement. He's the type of devil who will just sit there and not be involved in the awful things that the other devils are doing. He will be contented to watch and listen but never lay a hand on other creatures. And it roots back to his origin. If the First Born Prince was a powerful wizard on his previous life and the Second Born Prince was a normal human. The Third Born Prince of Hell was an angel, a fallen angel.

"I know what the creatures from up above could do. I was one of them and it's no joke. The King of Hell is not ready for that kind of power and force."

"So you're saying..."

"I'm saying that we need to stop this plan from happening, First Born. I am not taking sides although technically I'm a devil and should be on the Hell's side. But that would never happen. Taking Heaven's side is very unlikely, because like I said I am a devil. I just don't want to be involved in this. I still want to live." Jisoo states in determination.

Casualties in wars are always there, it can't be avoided but if the war can be avoided, the Third Prince of Hell will risk it. Heaven versus Hell is predetermined, it will happen eventually and will cause a lot of lives from each sides but the most affected in this war are the humans who are stuck in the middle of it without nothing to do and can’t even protect themselves.

"Stop? How can we stop the war if the King of Hell himself is unstoppable?" Seungcheol grits his teeth.

The wind inside the room becomes colder and Seungcheol can feel the atmosphere changing quickly from benign to menacing. Loud, whipping sound can be heard from across the room. A blinding light suddenly flashes. Seungcheol and Jisoo didn't bat an eye when a magnificent pair of silver wings apppears before them. The owner of the wings grins and waves at his brothers.

"Hi Cheol! Hi Soo!" The Second Born Prince of Hell greets the first occupants of the room. Seungcheol boredly stares at him while Jisoo warmly smiles at him.

"How's my entrance?" Jeonghan sassily walks towards the two men, not caring that much if his wings bump into something that causes it to fall and break.

"Fold your wings, Second Born." Seungcheol orders. Jeonghan shrugs and folds his wings, making it invisible.

"What are you doing here?"

"He's here because we want the same thing." Jisoo responds. The First Born Prince looks in inquisition at the Second Born.

Out of the three of them, the Second Born Prince of Hell is odds-on be the next King of Hell because he's viscious and had the same visions with the King of Hell, they literally want the same things. The First Born Prince is the favorite, the Third Born Prince is the least but the Second Born Prince is the dark horse. He and the King are the ones who are always talking and are always together. Seungcheol's guard is up.

Never trust another devil. Especially if that devil is the Second Born Prince of Hell.

The Second Born Prince notes that the First Born's eyes are trained on him. He nods his head and moves closer to the Third Born as if asking for a backup.

"All those pieces of information that I told you came from Second Born. As you can see, we've got an eye inside." Jisoo said confidently but Seungcheol keeps mum.

"I know Second Born and you had a rough patch. But can you two work as a team now? We are aiming for the same goal here. That is, to stop the war from happening." Jisoo pitches in, his voice is now condescending.

"How can you say that I want the same? For all you know, it's actually my plan." Seungcheol tests. The Third Born Prince's stare at him sternly and it's the First Born's first time to see that kind of look in the Third Born's eyes. It's not the soft and gentle fallen angel who's staring at him, but the devil.

"Because for whatever reason, you want to protect your human."

Seungcheol stares at Jisoo evenly.

"If you are not with us, you shouldn't had listen to me. You're getting something from here too, First Born. You'll be able to keep your human safe. That Lee Jihoon."

"Are you using Jihoon as a bait for me to join you?"

"If that's what you think, then be it."

Seungcheol inhales and closes his eyes. You've messed up my life, Lee Jihoon. If it's just another human I wouldn't blink an eye in letting that human die, if the King says to I could be the one who brings the human's head in a golden platter to him and lead his legion of devils in bringing the heaven down. But you're not just another human. You are Lee Jihoon. It pains me that I couldn't be that esteemed First Born Prince of Hell that everyone's bowing down whenever I'm around you. Instead, I'm this human, Choi Seungcheol, who bows down to everything you say.

"The King will use Lucifer as a weapon for the war." Jisoo put an arm around Jeonghan, the latter automatically rests his head against the Third Born's shoulder.

"We will not let the King get that weapon."

Seungcheol is definitely making a mistake in trusting his and Jihoon's lives in the hands of his two brothers. One, who's pure enough to mean everything he's saying. And the other one who's tainted enough to betray them. Both are very dangerous.

Seungcheol opens his eyes just in time for Jisoo's deal initiator statement.

"We will protect Lee Jihoon."