Chapter 3

Untitled

Chaerin is sitting comfortably inside a plane, looking over the bright lights of Seoul City through its small window. She is now back to Korea after a day of her debut although she don't have any idea on what her schedule in her home country is all about. Scooter just told her that she have to go and someone back there will explain everything. It's not that she's complaining but she find it a bit weird having a schedule in Korea when she just launched her career in the US.

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. A smile suddenly appeared on her lips remembering where she got the mannerism from. Chaerin felt the excitement and happiness run through her body thinking that she will see Dara but the disappointment of her silence for the past week still lingers somewhere.

The plane landed smoothly at Incheon Airport. While dragging her baggage along the way, Chaerin fish out her phone from her pocket, intending to call Dara but before she could do so, an incoming call from Jjangmae appeared.

"Hello, oppa?" She greeted.

"Chaerin, where are you?"

"Oh, i'm on my way to the car bay area..."

"Ok, i'm here at bay no. 4, i'm waiting for you."

"Thank you, oppa, i think i see you now, are you that black suv?"

"Yep, that's me."

"Ok, i'll be right there..."

Chaerin settled herself in the passengers side while Jjangmae's loading her baggage at the back. When everything's settled, Jjangmae went back to the drivers seat and drove the car out of the airport.

Chaerin noticed Jjangmae's unusual behavior, he's quiet but looks tense and keeps glancing at her as if he wants to say something.

"Oppa are you ok? Do you have something to tell me? Is it about why i am here?" Chaerin asked him innocently.

Jjangmae felt sorry for Chaerin, she doesn't even know why she suddenly came back to Korea. He swallowed hard and is hesitant to answer at first but he have to.

"Ahmmm, yeah i'm ok, i'll tell you everything tomorrow, you have to rest first." He replied, making his voice sound normal as possible.

Chaerin wants to start a conversation to make their travel less boring and ask about Dara while at it, but she thinks Jjangmae is not in the mood for a chitchat, so she just nodded, hold all her questions in and remain silent for the rest of the ride.

The car pulled over in front of Chaerin's house, the questions she needs to be answered came rushing through that she can't resist it any longer and blurted it out, causing Jjangmae to halt unbuckling his seat belt.

"Oppa, do you know where Dara is? I'm calling her for a week now but i can't reach her. She didn't even bother calling me the other day when i was going to debut. Is she really that busy?" Chaerin felt her anger and disappointment more after pouring her feelings to Jjangmae. He's one of Dara's manager so he knows what's going on with her. She took a deep breath to prevent her tears from falling.

Jjangmae can't avoid it anymore, he plans on telling her everything tomorrow but the current situation can't wait. He have to tell her now.

He put a hand on Chaerin's shoulder which cause the latter to look at him straight in the eye.

On the other hand Chaerin is sensing something is not right. She's expecting the next words from Jjangmae will not be good.

"What is it? Just tell me now!!!" Chaerin growled. She didn't mean to raised her voice but the anticipation of knowing the truth makes her agitated.

"Chae..." He uttered while struggling to find the next words. He gripped Chaerin's shoulder tightly and breathed in deeply.

"A week ago... Dara.... she... she had an accident, her car get rammed by a truck. She's in a coma." Jjangmae said weakly.

Upon hearing what Jjangmae said. Chaerin felt as if all the air in her lungs are being out, making her numb. But then she remembers something, something that may prove that this was all a joke. A very bad joke.

"But... but... Dara sent me a text a couple of days ago..." Chaerin fumbling through her phone and showing the message to Jjangmae.

"That was me who sent it, i..." He began explaining but Chaerin didn't let him finish.

"Is this some kind of joke? If it is, it's not... funny..."

But Chaerin's voice trailed off on the last word as Jjangmae held out his hands. Her eyes widened upon seeing Dara's phone. There is no way Dara would lend her phone to anybody let alone letting someone use it to send a message. With a shaky hands she grab Dara's phone from Jjangmae. Tears began dropping as she the phone. 

The phone booted and the passcode is still her birthday. A picture of Chaerin came into view that serves as a wallpaper. More tears were being produced by her eyes.

"She called me, the moment she had the accident. She ask me not to tell you, not until you had your debut stage. She knows you will cancel your debut and will fly back here. The media doesn't know it yet with the help of YG... she only thought about you Chaerin... only you..."

"I want to see her now..." Chaerin sobbing over the Dara's phone.

Jjangmae stared at Chaerin with pitiful eyes and just nodded. There is no point on arguing with her now. He then ignited the engine and made their way to the hospital.

It took them only a few minutes to get there. Chaerin went in first, after Jjangmae told her what room where Dara is and found herself walking along the white tiled corridor of the intensive care unit that smelled heavily with disinfectant. 

As she reach the end of the corridor, there stood a lone door. Chaerin stood in front of it, still deciding whether she will go inside and confirm the harsh reality or continue to live in her imaginary world where Dara is just too busy but alive and healthy.

She is standing in front of Dara's room for quite sometime now until the door swung open and it revealed an elderly woman. Their eyes met and come to an understanding even without saying a word, Chaerin immediately flung herself into the arms of the elderly woman in front of her.

"Mama..." was all she could utter between her sobs as they are locked in an embrace. 

"Chaerin..." Dara's mom called her name softly while running her hands through her hair as if she already expected Chaerin. She pulled back and gave her a weak but sad smile.

She guide Chaerin inside the room. Chaerin felt her world crashing and her senses began to numb upon seeing the current state of the love of her life.

Her eyes welled up with tears as she observed Dara in her bed. Her face full of bruises and small cuts. A ventilator is attached through and a weak beeping that the heart rate monitor produces is the only sound that pierces the silence surrounding the room. Different wires where punctured through her delicate skin. As more tears are escaping from Chaerin's eyes she couldn't help but feel guilty.

How could she thought that Dara's ignoring her? When all Dara does was only for her own good.

"I'll give you a moment with her. I'll be right outside. I need to talk to you." Dara's mom said in a low voice then exited the room. Chaerin just nodded not averting her eyes from her unnie.

"Ssantokki... I'm here... you can wake up now..." She whispered in Dara's ear then tucking the lose strands of hair behind Dara's ear. Fresh tears starts trickling down her already damp cheeks.

Chaerin stayed by Dara's side for almost an hour before deciding to talk with her Mom.

"I'll be back baby, i love you." She kissed Dara's forehead and take one last longing look on her before proceeding outside.

Chaerin found Dara's mom sitting in the long cushioned chair just outside the room. The elderly woman motion for Chaerin to sit beside her. She held both Chaerin's hand and started to speak.

"I'm glad you're already here, i couldn't make a decision without letting you know first." She began and look Chaerin straight in the eye. Tears already present.

"I haven't told this to anyone, but the doctor called for me and told me about Sandara's condition..."

"What did the doctor said?" Chaerin starts to feel nervous. She never felt like this before.

Dara's mom grip her hand tightly as if her life depending on it.

"They said... that... Sandara has a healthy body..." She starts to sob uncontrollably.

"But that's good right? Unnie always exercised and eat healthy..." Chaerin's not able to finish her word because Dara's mom is shaking her head.

"What do you mean no?" Chaerin asked in confusion.

"The doctors said Sandara has a slim chance of survival. She told me that my daughter has a healthy body... that we should... c-consider..." Dara's mom explain between her sobs.

"Consider what mama park?"

"Donating her organs..."

And upon hearing that, Chaerin yank her hand out of the older woman's grip and stood up. She felt nauseous, her vision becomes blurry.

"No... no..." was all she could say before collapsing in the cold tiled floor.