Ch #8

Beauty with a Sword.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER #8

NIGHT ESCAPADES

 

I can’t believe that they left me alone…

That was the first thought that crossed Bora’s mind as soon as she registered the absence of the people who had previously promised to wait for her outside the changing room while she was busy. Now, she should have known better than to go along with their requests, but Seulbi has been pretty insistent and she was the Princess; so it’s not like she had a lot of choices.

It was the weekend and like Sooyoung has promised her they were visiting the market to have her anklet mended. Her friend was in need of some things too so the whole visit was overall a very useful one. Seulbi’s addition to their small clique was a little unexpected, but not unwelcomed. During the past whole week, she has known the princess enough to know that the latter was genuinely a very fun company to be around. Even though they welcomed Seulbi’s presence, still, Bora was sure that Sooyoung was worried about the princess just like her. Both of them were just mere common maids of the castle. Nobody would cast an extra glance in their direction, but Seulbi was a Princess; someone of a great importance to the royal family. Anything could happen since the Princess has been adamant about not taking the guards with them.

Back to the matter at hands, the conflicted girl cursed her companions under her breath before once again adjusting the heavy flare of the gown. She then stared at the boutique owner with an uneasy smile hoping that it would deliver her message to the kind lady; who was still looking at her with a pleased smile. She didn’t have any money on her and even if she did Bora was sure that she would have never been able to afford such an expensive gown.

“I knew you would look beautiful in this dress. It was made for you!” The elderly women claimed while excitedly clapping her hands which made her feel bad even more. The best course of action at that moment was to go back inside, take the uncomfortable thing off and leave the place, but Seulbi and Sooyoung have been kind enough to take her regular clothes away with them while she was changing.

“Umm…I don’t think I can buy this.” She claimed with an embarrassed smile while staring down at her feet.

“Why not? The previously happy expression on the lady’s face was now completely wiped away- giving way to the concern.

“Is it not to your liking?” Bora immediately shook her head with wide eyes when she registered that the shop owner was taking her words into an entirely different context.

“No! It’s just that I don’t have the money to pay for it.” Her words were supposed to make things clearer between them, but the confused frown that graced the lady’s face told her that she has done a terrible job at explaining her predicament.

“But the dress has already been paid for.” Now it was Bora’s turn to be confused.

“By whom?”

“Your friends…” The elderly women trailed off as if she was unsure of the status of the two girls who came inside the boutique with her earlier.

“Oh-” That was the only intelligent response that she could think of.

“Did they mention where they were going?”

“Yes! They went to the jeweller down the street. Told me to direct you there and hand this cloak over to you.” Bora stared at the women blankly before shifting her gaze towards the cloak that she has been given by Sooyoung in the morning. Apparently, wearing a black cloak didn’t only conceal your identity, but also signified your status in the crowd. The women with black cloak were to be treated with utmost respect since they were usually from royal families or the noble class houses. She really didn’t get the purpose of it, really. Why would you flaunt your status so openly in the crowd? Wouldn’t that make you more vulnerable to the people who might have bad intentions?

“Thank you.” She bowed towards the women slightly before taking the cloak from her hand and wearing it carefully.

“I’ll be taking my leave then.”

“Do visit my shop again.” She heard the faint reply from inside the shop as she gently closed the exit door behind herself. Letting out a sigh, she stared down at the expensive dress with her lips pressed into a thin line. She had made sure to make it clear to Seulbi that she won’t be buying anything from her money, but it seemed like the latter was really stubborn and was not going to listen to her in any way. Shaking her head with a discreet snort, she adjusted her cloak before taking hold of its hood to pull it over her head but stopped dead in her track when a sturdy figure collided with her delicate one. A small gasp slipped past her lips before she was turning around to face the male who has bumped into her figure.

“I’m sorry.” Even though he was apologizing, still, she felt like he was not apologetic at all; not with the crooked, smug smirk that was lining his lips. It almost seemed like he bumped into her on purpose, but she couldn’t think of a reason why he would do that. He was a stranger. Of course, she hasn’t seen him before in her whole life, but there was a glint in his eyes- a glint that suggested that he recognized her from somewhere. It was impossible since only people from Ceya would recognize her. She would have known him if he was from her town. The girl can’t help, but to slightly shiver under his gaze. There was something oddly unsettling about the male in front of her; whose eyes were carefully accessing her face and figure as if committing it to his memory. She felt threatened.

But it doesn’t make any sense…

It really didn’t.

“Your Highness!” Bora was pulled out of her musings by a cloaked man; who suddenly materialized out of nowhere.

Your Highness?

The girl furrowed her brows in confusion as soon as she heard the title. As far as she was concerned, their Kingdom only had one King and that was Sehun; whose face was something she could never forget. Then who in the devil was this guy addressing. It seemed like the cloaked man wasn’t expecting her company with the guy she previously bumped into. It would explain why his eyes suddenly went wide before he was awkwardly clearing his throat.

“Minjoon! Stop acting like you’re a royalty, you brat. Come and help your father carry the goods.” The confused girl narrowed her eyes in suspicion as soon as the man corrected himself. There was something off about them. She could practically see it written on their faces or maybe she was just looking way too much into it. The cloaked man who claimed to be the father looked way too young to be a father of such an adult though. She was sure of it.

“I’m sorry miss. If he bothered you,” Bora was pulled out of her thoughts for the second time that day by the older man bowing in front of her.

“It’s okay! You don’t have to do that.” She quickly consoled while mentioning him to straighten up from his bowing position. It was odd to have an elderly man bowing in front of her in the middle of the busy market. Giving the two males an awkward smile, she offered a small bow to them before pulling the cloak up to cover her face and left.

“Are you insane? What made you think that bumping into her purposely was any good?” The cloaked man turned towards his King with an irritated growl as soon as the girl was out of their sight.

“Oh shut it! I can’t believe my luck. I managed to meet her again. A man can’t forget a face like hers, ever. Good thing, she took that hideous mask off in the inn.” Minjoon waved his mentor off before looking in the direction the girl walked off into.

“It seems like she belongs to an important household. That dress and that cloak-” He cut in the middle of his excited rant by the elder male by his side; who wasn’t looking amused at all.

“You sure are really interested in her.” He pointed out the obvious which made the smug King laugh.

“There’s something about her that’s driving me crazy.” The younger male answered before his dry lips.

“What do you say? Should I ask for her hand in marriage once I throw their King off the throne?”

“You sound obsessed.” The mentor voiced out with a suffering sigh. He wasn’t even exaggerating. Their King was a little bit messed up in the head. The man was sick and he could do anything to get his hands on the things that he wanted. It seemed like this time it was the poor girl who has managed to garner his interest.

“I am!” Minjoon claimed with glazed over eyes before staring down at his hand which has been previously injured by the swords girl. The wound was still as fresh as ever; not because it was not healing, but because he made sure to slit it open again and again once it starts closing up. He was sick indeed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter