Ch #18

Beauty with a Sword.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER #18

THE DECEIT.

 

“Mother!” Sehun burst in through the doors of his mother’s chambers, with a deep frown gracing his features, as soon as he was permitted to step inside. He instantly scanned the room for the feminine, slightly aged figure with his lips pressed in a thin line and slowly made his way towards the fireplace where The Queen was sitting perched on an oak chair.

“How can you-”

“Calm down and take a seat first.” His mother cut his rant off and nonchalantly waved her hand in the direction of the chair placed in front of her. She was busy reading a novel from what he could make out of it and from her features it didn’t seem like she was happy to be interrupted in such a rude manner.

“Now tell me what’s the matter,” She urged once he was done settling himself down (in quite a restless manner) in the twin chair and brought a hand up to take off the reading glasses that she was wearing.

“You know what the matter is,” He responded petulantly which caused his mother to smile.

“I really don’t.”

“How can you force Bora to be my personal bodyguard? Is one time not enough? Mother, she almost died from the poison that was meant for me.” Sehun finally complained while heaving a suffering sigh.

“First, it was not my initiative to appoint her. Most probably Jongin, Chanyeol or Miss Bora herself came up with the suggestion,” His mother started calmly before putting aside the novel in her hand.

“Second, no one is forcing her.”

“Jongin and Chanyeol are stupid! They don’t think with their brains. Why would you listen to them?” The young male protested which earned him an unimpressed look from the elderly women.

“My King, I have a notion that this time you’re the one who’s not thinking with his brain; rather you’re using your heart.”

“But mother-”

“I was skeptical about it in the beginning too. I just walked inside the infirmary to see how the young lady was doing and suddenly Jongin and Chanyeol were bombarding me with this suggestion.” His mother explained with a thoughtful expression.

“Why did you agree to it then?” Sehun inquired with a frown before slumping back in his chair slightly.

“They convinced me,” She replied off-handedly which did not satisfy him at all.

“And how did they do that? You didn’t even tell me about it and apparently, the idea has been in talks for a whole week before it was confirmed.” He was actually really curious. It was not easy to convince his mother if she was against something.

“Sehun, think about it rationally. She’s not going to be your bodyguard overtly instead she’s going to be in a guise of a maid. It’s going to be your plus one – your element of surprise – that may catch your enemy off guard. No one is going to expect a mere maid to be so skilled with swords and knives like she is. They can never come prepared for it.” It made sense, a lot, but he still can’t bring himself to agree with it which confused him a little. He would have readily agreed (would not even have cared about it) if it was someone else, but somehow, the person in the discussion being Bora changes a lot of things. He just cannot have her life put in danger in order to protect his’.

“Besides that, she’s assigned to you anyway. I don’t think just allowing her to keep a weapon with her would make things any more dangerous than they already are. If anything, it’s safer.” His mother justified further before straightening up in her place.

“And about me not informing you – when have we ever discussed such things. What is so different this time?” There was a knowing, teasing grin dancing along her lips. He knew what that smile meant; she was well aware of the reason that was bothering him so much.

  Letting out a barely audible groan of frustration, he slumped a little further in his place. This was not the time for his mother to about his feelings. They were going totally off topic.

“Look at the brighter side of the things,” She started again when he did not deem her with any response.

“You get to spend more time with her. Not only that, you get to protect her too since she’s going to be always in the range of your vision. Isn’t it safer this way?”

Well…if you put it that way.

The young King mulled mentally and narrowed his eyes in contemplation. It was more reassuring; especially after the whole poison incident. Being around her more to make sure she was protected and sound did sound nice but at the same time a lot more dangerous.

She’ll be in my sight all the time.

“I don’t know…” He finally responded with a conflicted countenance.

“Sometimes, it’s better if you don’t think about things too much, Sehun. Bora, herself have volunteered to take the responsibility. You should let her do it.” His mother persuaded.

“Why would she do that? It’s dangerous! Why would she put her life in danger just to make sure that I’m more protected?” It was the main thing that bugged him.

“Why did you spend days beside her bed while she was unconscious? Why do you care so much that it’s her? I know you would not have even batted an eye if it was someone else.” The elderly Queen countered in a composed manner while staring him straight in his eyes.

“Have you ever wondered that she may have the same reasons as you?” He did not have an answer to that. It was a very conflicting matter. At times, it seemed like she was infatuated with him just as much as he was, but then she always pulls away abruptly as if his touch has burned her. Sehun did not know what to think of it.

  He was not sure about the depth of his emotions regarding her person before, but after feeling the fear that he had went through while she was still unconscious; he was convinced that they were deeper than he originally thought for them to be. The young King could not even begin to explain in words the uncertainties and insecurities that have crossed his mind in those three days. He had turned his days into nights just sitting beside her bed wishing for her to merely open her eyes for even a second so he could make sure that she was still with them; with him. Every single second that has gone unfulfilled and wasted had caused his heart to ache – the fear like never before has gripped his whole senses making him more and more uncertain. He was usually a person who was so sure of himself and his actions that it caught him completely off-guard. It was an entirely new experience; something he didn’t know how to deal with.

I feared to lose her.

It was an ironic thought because he had never even had her in the first place.

“I still think it’s a bad idea,” He finally conceded with a dejected grunt.

“Well, speaking of bad ideas, I went to visit Lord Lee’s missus to their residence after her childbirth; heard some really interesting gossip there from the other ladies.” His mother informed while looking at him with eyes twinkling in mischief.

“Oh- I wonder what that might be.” He humored her while finally sitting up straight in his place.

“They were talking about how their King has been infatuated with a maid nowadays. The news spread fast from this castle, doesn’t it?”

“Tell me about it,” Sehun responded not the least bit bothered by it.

“From what I perceived, a few were not happy, some were very happy and many didn’t care about who you’re romancing, but they all congratulated me anyway. Common folk seemed to be overjoyed by the notion though since you chose one of them – as they put it.” She filled him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter