48 장 (Final Chapter)

Now and for the Last Time

"Julee? It's Suzy. Can I come in?"

No answer. I looked down at the water in my hand, then my watch, which told me we had ten minutes before the ceremony was supposed to begin. Reaching down, I tried the knob. When it turned, I gently pushed it open.

"Julee?" I said again, peeking inside. The room where she'd been getting ready was just above where the ceremony would be taken place, but the hotel's pool: I could see the chairs we'd lined up earlier, now filled with guests, through the window. "Are you in here?" Still, nothing.

I pulled out my phone, ready to send a BRIDE AWOL text if necessary, then walked past the small sitting area, closer to the window. Down below, I could see Wooyoung up by the flower-covered arch, checking his watch. I saw him shoot a look down the aisle. A second later, my phone beeped. Eomma.

WHERE IS SHE?

I walked over the bathroom door, which was closed, and stood listening for a second. Nothing. Then, distantly, a sniffle. Aish.

BATHROOM, I texted back. Then I knocked. "Julee?"

A pause. "Yeah?"

"It's Suzy," I said. "We, um, need to get downstairs."

"One second." I herad her blow her nose, which did not bode well, and looked at my watch again. When the door opened, though, she was smiling, even with a tissue in one hand.

"I'm allergic to something, can you believe it?" she asked, turning back to the bathroom counter, where I saw a pile of allergy medicines. "My big day and I can't stop sneezing."

"You still look beautiful," I said. It was true: even with a bit of a red nose, her hair was perfect, pearly pink lipstick in place, clearly happy. Whew.

She smiled at me. Then sneezed again. "Aish," she moaned, grabbed more tissues out of a nearby dispenser. "This is not how I wanted this to go!"

"It'll be fine," I said, handing her the water. "I bet once you get outside it will stop."

"That's where most allergies originate, though," she said, blowing her nose. "You forget I'm marrying a med student. Who probably did not expect, after all this planning and money, to be wed to someone whose nose is redder than a clown's."

"I'm sure that's not what Kevin cares about," I told her, bending down to fluff her dress around her shoes. "Weddings are about love, and love tolerates everything. Even red noses."

"Nicely put." She raised an brow at me. "You're good at your job."

"I was trained by the best," I answered. "And I've got an extra pack of tissues. Slide one of these by your bouquet, and let's go. You don't want to keep everyone waiting."

Another sneeze, and she was following me out of the bathroom and then the room, as I texted ON OUR WAY to Eomma. As I pushed the button of the elevator, she said, "i bet you have a lot of stories to tell, huh? Allergic brides. Cold feet. Missing grooms."

"Missing son of brides," I reminded her. "It was your brother I had to drag in from the parking lot, remember?"

She sighed, making a face as the elevator doors slid open. "As if I could forget. You're a saint for putting up with him, much less dating him."

"Well, it's never dull," I agreed.

"What do you remember most, though?" she asked me, as we stepped inside. "Your best wedding story, ever. Humor me."

I had to think about it. There was the time the groom, nervous, stumbled backward into a pool during the vows. The mother-in-law who got drunk at the rehearsal dinner and made an hour-long toast, working her way around the room detailing every beef she had with the guests in attendance. The missing ring bearer. The Disaster. Distinct as they happened, now they all seemed like one big wedding, ongoing, leading all the way up to this one, my last for the near future. I left for school in six days.

"There was this one girl," I said, as the elevator creaked into motion. "Back in spring. She was in tears, so scared. Asked me if I believed in true love lasting forever. It felt like a test."

"What did you tell her?"

I thought back to Dahyun, sitting on the floor of the anteroom, her expensive dress puffed out all around her. "Nothing," I said. "I didn't know what to say."

She looked at me, then down at the flowers she was holding, pink roses with white daisies, so fragrant I could smell nothing else. "Sounds intense. And maybe like a sign?"

"Maybe," I said. "But I'm hopeful it all worked out."

Just then, the doors slid open, and there was Eomma with the bridesmaids and flowergirl, all lined up with their backs to us, ready for the processon. But I was looking at the end of the line, to the boy in a black suit with a rogue curl on his forehead who now turned to face us, a smile breaking across his face. Seeing him, I knew what I'd say now if Dahyun was again before me, posing the same question. I wouldn't even hesitate.

Yes. Definitely.

As I passed by, Sehun looped an arm around my waist, pulling me into him. "I'm thinking about falling backward into the pool," he said, kissing my forehead. "Just to liven things up."

"We don't need any more life. Just focus on your job," I said, although I lingered in that spot, against him, that I'd come to love.

"Says the person who is supposed to be off the clock," he replied, although he did straighten up and get into formation. "You just can't do it, can you?"

"I can and I am," I told him. Or at least I was trying.

"Okay, let's do this," Eomma called out, gesturing for Julee to get into her place next to Sehun, who offered his arm, giving me a wink as he did so. I smiled as she took it, then moved around them to make my way to the doors that led to the patio. When I pushed them open, Wooyoung gave the signal, and the string instruments by the pool began to play.

I love this part, I thought as I moved up the side aisle to my seat in the third row. Technically I was a guest today, although old habits clearly did die hard. And that was just fine, I thought, turning with the rest of the crowd to face the aisle as the mother of bride began her walk. It was rare for things to be perfect and organized anyway, even with your best efforts. Embrace the messy and when things do come together just right, you'll always be pleasantly surprised.

This was a lesson I'd been learning a lot in the last couple of weeks, as one thing after another did just that. First, there was Sehun. We'd been together ever since that night of my party, although bringing him back to the house and telling Mark everything that had happened was, well, awkward to say at the least. He'd been angry, and rightfully so, leaving with his roses nad racket and few choice words about my character. By that night, every picture of us was deleted form his profile, not that I'd expected differently. I could only hope he would forgive me some day, as well as find a girl with whom to make his own epic, real story.

Eomma and Wooyoung were also still both coupled, bringing the number of our little band of cynics down to zero. We continued to let loose, though, when it came to brides, weddings, CGs, overbearing mothers-in-law, and people who charged the cupcakes before dinner was even served. As for Gayeon, she was already crying about being separated from Jaebum when she left for school at Daegu University, even as I pointed out he would less than two hours away, attending Gwangju University. Also, he drove a food truck, so was therefore mobile. On the upside for her, despite naps, Mrs. Baek was not pregnant again. At least, not yet.

As for me, I'd leave for school, too, while Sehun stayed in Gwangju, enrolling part-time classes at Gwangju University as well and, surprisingly, continuing to work for Soojung Bae Weddings. He'd promised me he was going to get his driver's license back, when Gwangju allowed it, so he and Vivi could make the short trip to see me when I couldn't come back home. I knew long-distance relationships often don't work, especially new ones, but I wasn't giving a lot of thought to endings. I'd had enough of those.

And now here we were, with another wedding ceremony, so full of potential. Followed by the middle, with dancing and the toast, two hands holding a cake cutter, maybe even making a wish. And then the big finish. Well, you couldn't beat that: cans tied to a shiny bumper, a bouquet lofted high in the hair, that final wave as the car pulled away. Everything in weddings and life had its phases, and if you were smart, you learned to appreciate them all.

What really mattered, though, were the people in those moments with you. Memories are what we have and what we keep, and I held mine close. The ones I knew well, like a night on the beach with a boy who would always live in my heart, and the ones yet to come with another. For now, though, I was choosing to believe we have time, plenty of it. But really, all I knew for sure was that somewhere soon in that long, messy middle, stretching ahead, Sehun would again reached out a hand, asking me to dance. And this time, I'd say yes.


A/N: Guys, it's finished! Sehun and Suzy are now a couple after everything. 

This have been my longest story ever. Almost 50 chapters! Phew~ I am going to need a small break before I start uploading my next story; Lifeguard Jeon. Starring Bae Suzy and Jeon Jungkook.

You guys be sure to comment, vote, and subscribe! And also follow my BTSzy account on Instagram; suzyandbangtan

Thank you all for reading and supporting my terrible(?) story! I love you all~