13 장

Now and for the Last Time

 


Forty-five minutes later, we were pulling back onto the two-lane highway, eleven buckets of flowers strapped with bungee cords into the back of my van. I'd craved on the peonies, mostly just because I didn't have it in me to face down Mrs. Kimmy. And they were beautiful, fragile, and fragrant with lace. They'd look gorgeous in the jars I'd be unpacking and cleaning later that day for Tiffany Hwang's wedding, and if she's disagree, I'd eat the cost myself. They were my mom's favorite.

I kept waiting for Sehun to ask me about Jongsuk. While we waited for Mrs. Kimmy to confer with her husband, who came in from the fields in overalls and a leaf hat, about prices. As we carted the buckets to the van, arranging them like a puzzle to make everything fit. And now, when we were finally alone and back on the road, the car started to fragrant that I had to crack my window.

But he didn't. Instead, he messed with the vents again, the seat belt, the radio. Also, he sneezed; it happened, especially when you're not used to so many flowers in such a small space. Over about three miles, I really hope he bring it up instead of me talking. At least then, it would be happening and not about to happen. After another mile, I figured I'd just go ahead and tell him , to get it over with.

"Can we stop?" he asked suddenly, nodding at a little store ahead. "I'm parched."

Of course he couldn't say thirsty like regular people, I thought, annoyed. "Sure," I said, looking at the dashboard clock. "We have to be quick, though."

The store was small and dusty, an older man behind the counter. As soon as we walked in, a dog approached us, wagging its tail. It was small and skinny, its white fur scruffy, poking out in odd places above its brows and around the snout. 

Sehun immediately bend down to greet it, which made it more excited, its entire body twisting and wiggling as it got petted. "Your dog is awesome," he said to the old man, who was reading a newspaper. In return, he just grunted.

I walked over to the drink cooler, pulling out an iced tea. "What do you want?" I asked Sehun, who was busy with scratching the dog's neck, making one leg bang excitedly against the floor.

"Something fruity with lots of sugar," he replied. "I know, I know! You are a good boy!"

This time, the man looked over, irritated, and I was surprised to feel a wave of protectiveness. It was a fact Sehun got on people's nerves. But this guy had only been around him for a few seconds. I grabbed a tropical punch, then took both drinks over to the counter, putting them down. Just as I did, a  car beeped outside and the dog started barking, the noise sudden and high-pitched.

"Shut up," the man growled as he punched numbers on the register. "F***ing dog. 5000 won."

I gave him the cash, highly aware of the noise continued. "Hey buddy," Sehun was saying, "it's okay."

"Barks every time he hears a beep," the man said, pushing my receipt at me. "And it's like nails on a chalkboard."

I said nothing, just took the drinks and started walking to the door. "Let's go," I said to Sehun, who was trying to keep the dog quiet. "There's going to be traffic."

Another series of yaps, one right after another. The man pushed himself to his feet, grumbling under his breath, then came around the counter, walking with a noticeable limp to the back door. "Out," he said to the dog, as he pushed it open. "Go play in traffic."

The dog got quiet and sat down. "Good boy," Sehun told the dog.

The man sighed. "Out," he said again, this time snapping his fingers. Slowly, the dog stood, then walked out the door, and the man shut the door behind him. As he walked back behind the counter, Sehun tracked him with his eyes.

"Come on," I said quietly. A beat. Then another. Finally, he followed me outside.

We got into the car and I started the engine, then handed him his drink. I'd just shifted into reverse when he said, "Hey, I need a bathroom break. Long ride ahead."

"We're already back into the car," I said.

"I'll hurry. I promise."

I sat back. Quickly, he unbuckled his seat  belt and hopped out, walking around the building toward the sign that said RESTROOMS.

I was just reaching forward to change the radio station (now an addiction for the both of us, clearly) when the passenger door suddenly opened again and he tumbled inside. "Go," he said. He was holding something in his arms.

"What?"

"Go. Drive. Now!"

It was only after I shifted into reverse again, for some reason blindly following this directive, that I looked over and saw that he was holding was, in fact, the dog.

"Sehun. You stole that man's dog?"

"I prefer to look at it as rescue," he corrected me as it wiggled wildly in my peripheral view.

I looked over my shoulder. "Are you serious right now?"

"I couldn't just leave him there," he said, as if I was the one acting unreasonably. "Can you go a little bit faster? Just until we're clear of the parking lot."

I looked in the rearview, but of course there's no one was following us. The dog started barking again.

"See how happy he is?" Sehun questioned, as we picked up speed. he rolled down the window and the dog immediately stuck its head out, the wind ruffling the burst of hair over his eyes. I looked over at them, then in the rearview, where now all I could see was flowers, dancing in the breeze. Only then did I realize minutes passed since I'd been thinking about Jongsuk and having to tell Sehun that story. This should've made me happy, I knew, or at least relieved. But instead I felt sad. Sometimes forgetting was just as bad as remembering.