7 + 6

What We Need

June 2017.

 

"Mimi unnie," Haebin smiles as she approaches the older one who has been retreating in a corner of the living room for a while.

"Haebin," she flashes a lifeless smile.

Haebin laughs while taking a seat beside the older. "Wae irae?" she asks in a teasing tone but they both know she means her question.

"I don't know either," Mimi shakes her head and looks to the ground. "I guess it's the lack of activity that's making me feel empty inside," she plainly mumbles.

Haebin nods her head in understanding, and places an arm around Mimi.

"Hana and I talked about it too, but we agreed not to look down because we don't want to discourage the kids but it's hard, eh?" Mimi releases a chuckle that sounds a little bitter. Haebin can empathise with the older, and cannot help but feel sorry. They both turn to look at the closed bedroom door. "She's trying to sleep but probably not catching much because of the thoughts," Mimi says after a sigh.

"How do you do it?" Mimi asks next. She continues when Haebin responds with a confused look, "I'm sure you have confidence issues too, more than me and the narcissistic Hana, don't you? But you manage to stay positive all the time in front of the others."

Haebin smiles, "I just try not to think about it, and it's not that hard when I actually try because this bunch of kids..." Haebin's voice trails away and she almost chokes on a gulp in , causing some tears in her eyes. Mimi and Haebin laugh it off, looking at each other as Haebin conveys what she means by her eyes.

"Right, that's true," Mimi nods her head and agrees. "But I really admire you, Haebin ah," she starts. "It's amazing how you are so mature, so thoughtful and so genuine," she says with a little twinkle in her eyes, "and you take care of this team so well. Hana and I wouldn't do without you."

A drop of tear rolls down Haebin's cheek as she listens to Mimi, "Don't say that," she tries to speak but her voice does not come out.

"Not that I do much, actually," Mimi chuckles, "even as the oldest."

"I was going to say that," Haebin says after rubbing her eyes dry. They both break into peals of laughter again.

"Haebin ah! Get me some water," they hear Nayoung from afar.

"There they go again," Mimi says and they laugh, shaking their heads. Haebin stands up with a sigh.

"Haebin ah! Nado," Sejeong mimics Nayoung.

"Yahh! Kim Sejeong!" Haebin yells a reply.

Sejeong giggles, "Mianhae unnie, I'll go with you then, for burden Nayoung unnie."

"Yahh, rude," Nayoung casually smacks Sejeong on the while the latter stands up to follow Haebin.

Speechless, Haebin can only chuckle at their instincts. She then turns to give Mimi one last look, who returns her a reassuring smile.

"Gomawo, Haebin ah," Mimi thanks her later that night.

"Nado gomawo, Mimi unnie," Haebin beams in reply.