8 + 6

What We Need

April 2016. 

 

Sally enters the living room and looks to the kitchen. She sees a pot still settled on the stove, probably put to dry after Haebin had made dinner for the others earlier that day. She turns to glance at the clock. 

It's one in the morning, she thinks, and scratches her hair still dripping wet from the shower she's just taken. But I'm hungry, she hears her stomach grumble.

"Sally?" she almost drops her towel at the sudden presence of someone else. She turns to see Haebin behind her with a confused face.

"Unnie," she smiles.

"Looking for something?" Haebin asks as she trudges pass Sally into the kitchen to get some water. Sally subconsciously follows.

"I'm..." Sally's speech trails away, "It's nothing," she mumbles with her head down.

"You're hungry," Haebin says with a smile over the sound of running water, "right?"

Sally doesn't reply but watches as Haebin fills up a two other cups that she recognises as Nayoung's and Hyeyeon's. Sally decides to give in, with a guilty heart, and nods her head, as Haebin passes her and exits the kitchen. She hears Haebin enter the bedroom with the sound of the door opening and closing, as well as the everyday noise from the other girls.

"Nayoung returned to the dorm yesterday and she's learnt to make use of me after five months of absence," Haebin jokingly says, "Come, I'll make something for you."

Sally hasn't moved a spot at all, for the past few minutes since Haebin had first appeared. 

"What do you want to eat, Sally yah?" Haebin asks while washing her hands.

A picture of exactly what she wants appears in her head; she can taste it already. She decides to be selfish. After all, the girls are family to her. "The first thing you cooked for me?" Sally asks. "Egg, long," her hands show a gesture for 'long', as she tries her best to speak. She doesn't know why, but after the hard day, Haebin's food will really mean comfort to her, and she wants to feel it like the very first time because it did mean comfort for her, and she has found a family ever since.

Haebin senses that the girl's forgotten how to call it, "Gyeran-mali? Right?" she chuckles and walks over to the fridge, "What do you want inside?" Haebin asks while her eyes scan up and down the fridge. She doesn't see much, and releases a sigh. When she realises Sally isn't responding, she asks again, "The same way I did the first time?" which earns a nod with a small, bashful smile from Sally.

Haebin feels sorry for Sally. While she tries to prepare, Haebin thinks about how she can talk to the girl. Sally is definitely troubled, she knows, and she wants to show her concern. She releases a sigh. 

"Gomawo, unnie," Sally mumbles, revealing her guilt.

"It's nothing," Haebin smiles, as usual. "How was your Korean lesson just now?" Haebin asks, wondering if that's what Sally is troubled about.

"Lesson?" Sally looks at Haebin plainly.

"You stayed back after our practice right?" Haebin asks while starting up the stove.

"I..." Sally takes a moment thinking about how to phrase herself in the language, "I took a test and I didn't do well in it."

Haebin watches as Sally's head drops dejectedly. 

"It's okay Sally yah," Haebin walks over and gives the girl a tight hug.

"Do you think I can debut?" Sally asks, her voice cracking. 

"Don't say that, Sally yah!" Haebin almost shouts, chuckling. "Of course you'll debut, with us," she says while the younger girl's hair, "pabo yah."

Sally feels a few tears that are threatening to fall. 

"Don't cry, Sally yah, don't think about unnecesarry things," Haebin says and releases the hug. She returns to her cooking and gives Sally a pat on the head.

"Gomawo, unnie," Sally says again. She rubs the tears in her eyes away, and wipes her face again with the towel still in her hands.

"Unnie, I will go keep my towel," she says and walks away from the kitchen. When she returns, she sees Haebin cracking an egg at the stove and hears the sound of oil sizzling. A surge of emotions overcome her again, but she wills herself to stay calm.

"Want rice or kimchi?" Haebin asks when Sally reaches.

"No it's okay," Sally shakes her head. "Gomawo unnie," she says for the third time.

"You don't have to keep thanking me, Sally yah," Haebin softly says.

Without a word, Sally walks over and gives Haebin a hug from the back. Haebin smiles, and lightly pats Sally's arm, whilst hoping that the younger is feeling better.