Chapter 8

Fake Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sehun…”

“Mh…”

“Sehun?”

“Mmmh?”

“Sehun!”

“Whaat?”

Sehun slowly opened his eyes while moving the blanket away from his face, trying hard to adjust to the darkness of the room so that he could define the figure kneeling in front of him.

“Can I talk with you for a moment?”

As the person in front of him spoke again, Sehun finally identified the owner of that voice, his curly messy bed-hair and big round eyes looking at him being a significant help.

“What is it, Yeol?” Sehun asked, fighting the urge to close his eyes and go back to dreamland.

“I made him cry…” Chanyeol said, getting a grip of Sehun’s arm.

“What are you talking abou – wait.”

As Chanyeol’s words reached his ears, the black-haired boy took an arm out from the warm comforter, reaching the nightstand and touching its surface here and there, looking for his phone. When he finally found it, Sehun unlocked the screen, momentarily averting his gaze because of the unexpected brightness.

After a few seconds Sehun looked at the screen again. As he did so, his jaw dropped.

 

“04:20”

 

“Chanyeol?”

“Yes?”

“Do you realize that you just woke me up, past four in the morning, to tell me the same thing you have been repeating for the past week?!” Sehun whispered, disbelief echoing in his voice.

“I know but, Sehun, Baek looked so hurt and I –“

“Park. Chan. Yeol.” Sehun interrupted his friend while motioning him to come nearer with a gesture of his hand.

Chanyeol obediently approached Sehun, until the latter’s lips were just a few inches from the curly boy’s ear.

“Go back to sleep before I kick you out of the room. Goodnight.”

After his statement, which did not leave space for any kind of retort, the sleepy boy retreated back under the blankets, not even a strand of his raven hair peeping out from it.

Chanyeol sighed defeated. The curly boy sweetly whispered a “good night” before getting up and climbing back onto his own bed, bringing the sheets way up to his nose.

It had almost been a week since his “fight” with Baekhyun. During this lapse of time he tried to contact the younger, sending him text messages and even calling a few times. Unfortunately, he didn’t receive any kind of response, not even once. This brought him towards one and easy conclusion.

Baekhyun must be angry. He must not want to see him. He probably doesn’t even want to talk to him.

Chanyeol’s anger from that night had already completely subsided. It actually had the same day, in the exact moment his eyes met Baekhyun’s crying ones. What was left behind was just a sense of defeat, insecurity and a constant heart-ache.

What if Baekhyun didn’t want to see him anymore? What if that night decreed the end of them? What if he had messed up that badly?

The curly giant kept tossing around in his bed, unable to bring himself to fall asleep for a while after talking with Sehun. It was probably already dawn when Chanyeol finally drifted off to sleep.

 

 

 

 

“Baek, are you awake? Breakfast is ready!” Luhan sweetly whispered as he poked his head into a certain blonde boy’s bedroom, checking if the latter was still asleep.

“You guys go ahead, I’m not hungry” Baekhyun, who was already fully dressed despite not being a morning person, replied as he stuffed his backpack with an undefined number of books.

“You said the same thing yesterday, and even the day before!” Luhan stated, his expression clearly concerned as he walked towards Baekhyun. “Kyungsoo prepared your favorite chocolate pancakes, don’t you want a bite?” Luhan insisted as he brushed a strand of messy hair out of Baekhyun’s eyes.

“I’m sorry Lu, but I really don’t have an appetite! You guys can eat them” Baekhyun smiled sweetly at his friend, aware of the fact that Luhan was concerned about him.

Without adding anything else Baekhyun lifted his heavy backpack and walked out of the room. He wasn’t expecting his other two friends lurked outside his room, Kyungsoo still wearing his yellow apron and Jongdae holding a pink donut in his hand.

“You scared me!” Baekhyun laughed while walking towards the entrance.

“Baek, are you already leaving?” Kyungsoo asked as Baekhyun kneeled to wear his black Converse.

“Mmmh, I want to review a few things before the lesson!” Baekhyun replied as he wore his fluffy green parka.

“Still, you should really eat something Baek! You need energy to start off the day!” this time the one who talked was Jongdae, both his tone and his expression clearly worried.

“I’m fine, really! I’ll get something at the cafeteria later!” Baekhyun shrugged, not losing his kind smile not even for a second.

As the blonde boy got a hold of the door handle, he felt a pair of arms enveloping him in a hug. He already knew who that hug came from even before turning around.

“Jongdae, you’re worrying too much!” Baekhyun laughed as he turned around, now face to face with Jondae’s furrowed brows. Nonetheless Baekhyun gladly reciprocated the hug, jokingly squeezing the raven-haired boy while burying his face in his shoulder. After a few seconds Baekhyun reluctantly pulled back, despite Jongdae’s usual whines.

“I’m going!” Baekhyun exclaimed, opening the door and putting one foot outside.

“We’re coming soon alright? Call us if you need anything!” Jongdae said, getting a nod from Baekhyun before the blonde closed the dormitory’s door behind his shoulders.

 

Now that the three boys were alone, a deep sigh escaped from their mouths.

"Guys, I can't stand this anymore." Jongdae suddenly sighed, being the first to break the heavy silence.

"Did he sleep tonight?" Kyungsoo asked the raven-haired boy while taking off his apron.

"Mmmh, not much I think! I woke up at three and he was still awake..." Jongdae replied, a sad expression painted all over his face.

"He doesn't even eat much, he just keeps studying all day long..." Luhan added, crossing his arms over his chest.

"We have to do something!" Jongdae exclaimed, putting a hand around each of his friend's shoulders. "I'll text Chanyeol and ask him to meet this afternoon! How does this sound?"

"Perfect. Baekhyun will probably spend his whole afternoon in the library, so we don't need to worry about him finding out!" Luhan said, sounding enthusiastic about Jongdae's plan.

"If this doesn't work I'll lock the both of them in a room until they clear things up!" Kyungsoo added, arousing a laugh from the other two boys.

"It's time to bring the lovebirds back together!" Jongdae concluded before stuffing the whole sweet donut inside his mouth, wearing a triumphant expression while fishing his phone out of his pocket. "Where should I ask him to meet?" he asked, mouth still full of food.

"You're an animal" Kyungsoo sighed as he walked towards the kitchen while shaking his head.

"What about the café near the station?" Luhan suggested, not really minding Jongdae's usual unrefined manners.

"At the café in front of the station, at 4 o'clock" Jongdae read the message out loud, double checking it. "Sent! Our mission has officially started!"
 

 




Chanyeol was waiting in front of the café, a trembling Minseok standing next to him. The poor guy had been dragged out of their apartment by a certain giant, who proclaimed himself too scared of facing Baekhyun's friends alone. They were younger than him, but they could still be somehow intimidating, a certain owl eyed guy in particular. That's why Chanyeol begged the blonde-haired boy, who was trying hard to fight the cold by burying his face behind his thick wool scarf, to tag along.

"Will they be angry? Of course they will be!" Chanyeol asked Minseok but replied to himself before his friend could even utter a word. "They're probably furious... " he continued while nervously tugging at Minseok's arm.

"Yeol, calm down! They were the ones to ask you to meet! And I'm sure that they will understand! They probably just want to help you clear things up, like we also do!" Minseok reassured him, one of his signature sweet smiles gracing his face.

Seeing Minseok's calm expression and listening to his words helped Chanyeol to relax. Minseok was the older between them, and there was a reason if everyone considered him like a second mom, besides being a dear friend.

"I hope you're right..." Chanyeol sighed, a puff of white smoke coming out of his mouth because of the chilly weather.

"Chanyeol!"

As he heard his name being called by a familiar voice from the other side of the street, Chanyeol instantly looked up. It took him a second to spot Luhan, who was standing next to Jongdae and waiving at him in front of the pedestrian crossing, waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Once the cars stopped driving around, the two boys finally crossed the street, quickly reaching the two tall guys waiting for them.

Chanyeol batted his eyelashes a few times as soon as he noticed Kyungsoo’s absence.

“Luhan, Jongdae! Kyungsoo’s not here?” he asked confused.

“He really wanted to come” Jongdae started, the sound of a loud gulp could be heard coming from Chanyeol “but unfortunately he had to attend an important cooking class!”

“Oh, I see!” Chanyeol exclaimed, trying not to make his relief too obvious. Just thinking about Kyungsoo’s death stare made shivers run down his spine.

“Actually, he told us to tell you something!” Luhan added, Chanyeol instantly regaining his previous stiff pose. “He said sorry about that text message, he didn’t mean to sound that harsh!” the younger smiled brightly.

“W – what?! He’s not angry?!” Chanyeol asked surprised, eyes widening considerably.

“Of course he’s not!” Luhan rebutted, just as confused as Chanyeol.

“But I –“ Chanyeol tried to say, getting interrupted in the matter of a second.

“Let’s talk inside, shouldn’t we?” Luhan suggested, pointing the cafè’s door.

“You’re right!” Chanyeol laughed sheepishly. “Oh, by the way! I think this is the first time you guys meet!” Chanyeol exclaimed, referring to Minseok and Jongdae.

That’s when the tall curly boy noticed Minseok’s surprised expression. Despite his face being half covered by the scarf he could swear the blonde was gaping. And the reason of his astonishment was clearly a certain raven-haired guy standing right in front of him.

“Minseok?” Chayeol called him, slightly budging his friend’s shoulder.

“Oh – sorry!” Minseok suddenly came back to his senses, lowering his scarf so that he could speak more clearly. “I’m Minseok, nice to meet you!” he smiled, offering his gloved hand to Jongdae.

Chanyeol felt like witnessing a déjà vu as he watched Jongdae’s change of expression the moment he took a full glance of the blonde’s face. The smaller boy jaw fell to the ground, visibly taken aback because of the guy who was offering him his hand, not even trying to conceal his stupor.

“Jongdae?” this time the one to bring his friend back to reality was Luhan, who perplexedly called him.

“Luhan!” Jongdae suddenly exclaimed, startling the honey blonde-haired boy standing next to him. “Why didn’t neither you nor Baekhyun tell me that you met my ideal type?! You oculd have introduced us sooner!” he whined, faking an offended expression.

As those words left Jongdae’s mouth everyone’s eyes widened in disbelief. Minseok was obviously wearing the most flabbergasted expression between the group.

“I’m Jongdae and the pleasure is all mine!” the younger smiled, taking Minseok’s hand in his as if nothing happened, giving it a vigorous shake.

After a few seconds of silence Chanyeol burs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter