Chapter 7

Fake Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Fried chicken or jajangmyeon?” Baekhyun asked while excitedly rolling left and right on the sofa, smartphone in hand and ready to dial the delivery restaurant’s number.

“You chose Baek!” Chanyeol said as he briefly looked over his shoulder to flash Baekhyun a smile, before redirecting his gaze towards his computer’s screen.

“You always say that!” Baekhyun huffed, getting up from the couch and reaching Chanyeol in the kitchen. “I want you to choose this time…” he continued, looking at the other with expectation while childishly jutting out his bottom lip. “What do you prefer?”

“Alright, alright!” Chanyeol smiled defeated. Baekhyun knew how to easily convince him, and his pouty lips were definitely on the top three methods. “Mmmh, I guess… Chicken?”

“Roger!” the blonde boy happily exclaimed, not wasting a minute before hopping towards the living room while pressing a few numbers on the screen of his phone.

As he heard Baekhyun ordering their dinner in the other room, Chanyeol resumed doing what he had been doing for the past week, which consisted in writing an endless essay about the most anticlimactic book he had read in his entire life. The reason behind his teacher’s choice of making the entire class read a book from the French literature was still a mystery for Chanyeol. He was there to study economy, not some chivalrous poem.

Nevertheless, after days and nights of reading and writing, that hell of an assignment was finally reaching an end. Just a few more lines and he could finally save all the work and send it to his teacher. And most importantly, he could finally spend more time with the boy who at the moment was playing some videogame on his phone while sitting upside down on the sofa.

“Finally!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he eagerly pressed the icon “save” on top of the document.

“Are you done?!” Baekhyun asked, his head with messy fluffy hair popping out from behind the blue cushions.

“100% done!” Chanyeol smiled, getting up from the chair while giving his body a good stretch.

As Chanyeol mentioned he was finally done with his assignment, Baekhyun’s eyes lightened up in an instant. Whenever the two guys spent time together during the past week, which consisted in meeting briefly in a coffee shop, Baekhyun couldn’t help but notice the massive number of yawns which left Chanyeol’s mouth, not to mention the dark circles under his eyes. Whenever Baekhyun showed any kind of concern, the older would tell him many times that he wasn’t overworking himself and was getting enough sleep. However, saying so between a yawn and another wasn’t convincing at all.

That’s why Baekhyun couldn’t be happier to hear that Chanyeol was finally done. By Chanyeol’s surprise, the petite boy suddenly got up from the sofa, reaching him with a few hops and giving him a tight hug.

“You worked hard Yeol!” Baekhyun said, his lips pursued into the sweetest smile.

That overly cute sight made Chanyeol feel the urge to smack a kiss on the shorter boy’s head. And of course he would have done so if he hadn’t been interrupted by the ring of the doorbell.

“The chicken is here!” Baekhyun squeaked excited. “I’ll go get it, you wait here!” he added, and before Chanyeol could say anything, he stormed out of the apartment, coming back after a second because he forgot his wallet. It took him less than a minute before he triumphantly came back with two foaming bags in his hands.

After arranging the chicken on the table, together with a bottle of cola and two glasses, Baekhyun gracefully took out a chair, inviting Chanyeol to take a seat.

“You don’t have to spoil me so much!” Chanyeol laughed as he sat at the table.

“You have been doing nothing but study all this week! You have to rest now!” Baekhyun pointed out as he placed a plate full of spicy chicken wings in front of the curly boy, not forgetting to pour him a full glass of cola.

“You even ordered the spiciest one! I know you’re not good with spicy food Baek!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he took the first bite, the spicy flavour hitting his tongue.

“I’m not that bad, I can handle it! Plus, the spiciest one is your favorite!” Baekhyun rebutted before starting to eat as well.

“If you say so!” Chanyeol said, deciding to ignore the fact that the blonde boy’s ears were already turning kind of red after only the second bite. However, it became impossible for him to hold back the laughter as droplets of sweat started to form on Baekhyun’s forehead, while his eyes were getting more and more teary each passing second.

“You look a like a tomato!” Chanyeol laughed as he got up to take a bottle from the fridge. “Here, drink this before you explode!” he joked while offering Baekhyun a glass full of fresh milk, drink gladly accepted by the younger, who gulped down the entire thing in one shot.

The blonde ate the rest of his dinner between a glass of milk and another, not stopping to fan his face with his hands for even a second. Of course Chanyeol ended up crying from laughter multiple times.

 

After finishing their dinner, and after Baekhyun cooled down from the spiciness, the two boys decided to watch a movie. Despite Baekhyun wanting Chanyeol to choose what to watch, this time the older did not falter, proclaiming himself “more than fine with whatever Baekhyun wanted to watch”. That’s how the two ended up watching La La Land, cuddled under a fluffy blanket with two cups of foaming hot chocolate in hand.

 

 

 

 

By the time the movie reached an end, Baekhyun could have sworn that Chanyeol had yawned at least twenty times.

“Was it that boring?” Baekhyun asked as the endless movie credits lined up one after another on the screen.

“Boring? Not at all!” Chanyeol exclaimed with wide eyes.

“Your yawns said otherwise though!” Baekhyun pointed out, lifting an eyebrow.

“You know I love musicals, this is one of the best I’ve seen so far actually!” Chanyeol sincerely rebutted. “It was actually pretty intense! I wasn’t expecting that ending!”

"I already kind if knew because Luhan spoilered it to me!" Baekhyun laughed lightly as the image of Luhan sobbing in front of the television after watching the movie a few weeks ago popped in his mind. 'Tough, despite knowing, it was still sad..." the petite boy muttered, his gaze trailing off somewhere.

"Sad? They both worked hard and at the end pursued their dreams, isn't that good?" Chanyeol pointed out as he scooped Baekhyun closer to him, suddenly feeling like giving him a round of bear hugs.

"Yeah that's the good point but..." Bakehyun said, welcoming the sudden display of affection by resting his head on Chanyeol's chest. "... but wasn't the price to pay way too high? I mean, giving up on the love of your life, it just doesn't sound right to me..." he continued, absentmindedly taking a firm hold of Chanyeol's shirt.

"You've got a point here" Chanyeol answered while Baekhyun's soft hair. "I guess it changes depending on people!" He concluded after giving the whole matter a round of thoughts for a few moments.

"What about you?" Baekhyun suddenly asked, turning his body so that he could look at Chanyeol's face.

"Me?"

"Mmh. What would you do Yeol? Would you follow the dream of your life or would you treasure real love?"

Chanyeol stayed silent for a while, taken aback by Baekhyun's sudden serious tone. The younger was looking straight at him wearing such an unreadable expression that Chanyeol momentarily remained at a loss of words. It kind of amazed him how many sides of Baekhyun he still probably had to discover.

"Truthfully..." Chanyeol finally said, his voice coming out almost as a whisper. "I don't know" the older admitted as he scratched the back of his head. "I don't know if I'll ever have to face such a choice in my life, but I'm confident I'll take the right decision if that moment will come!" He concluded, giving Baekhyun a heartfelt smile.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter