Photosynthesis

Wonky Jumble

Binhwan | Rating T | Fluff | Open ending |

 

Jinhwan's a city guy, Hanbin's a young farm worker.

Hanbin is the sun, Jinhwan is a fragile flower.

 

La nature fait bien les choses comme on dit.

Elle recèle entre autre de mécanismes si performants et si sophistiqués que même l'homme, dans son stade avancé de l'évolution, ne parvient à en comprendre le fonctionnement. Elle est source constante de changements et de découvertes, prises de conscience et retours arrière. Enfermée dans un cycle et pourtant libre, elle est à la merci des envies purement égoistes des hommes tout en leur étant indispensable et régnant en maitre. Elle est source de vie. Elle est essence de tout.

 

 

Jinhwan's forehead was lazzily resting on the cold surface of the window, his gaze lost somewhere between the bright blue sky and the streaming green of the trees surrounding their car. The road was starting to get narrower as they got deeper in the countryside, where the houses weren't one hundred fifty feet tall but cercled by huge fields as he'd never seen. Their speed decreased little by little when they entered the next turn. He was about to throw up the only thing he ate that morning due to his nervousity, chocolate. It was definitively his ally throught tough times.

 

When his parents told him that he was going to spend the entire summer break in the campaign, he joked around about it, telling them that he was ready to become a great farmer and befriend with all sorts of animals, from pigs to cows passing by ducks and donkeys and that manual labor didn't scare him at all, it was the perfect occasion to build some muscles. Great joke. He now regretted leaving the living room too soon, still laughing and all happy. Too soon to see that his parents were exchanging a surprised but agreeding look. Little did he know that they were really serious and already planned to leave as soon as possible for some exotic places to celebrate their twentieth marriage anniversary while he'd be suffering with some shovel and rake, covered in mud and crying blood. No, he wasn't hyperbolizing.

 

He'd discovered the horrible truth not even one week ago during a video call with his older sister and oh how much did he miss her. She was by six years his elder and witout a doubt the adventurous one in the family. While he was always locked in his room reading, playing or doing who knows what normal teenagers do, she was traveling around the world with her backpack and her friends, enjoying the pleasure of having wealthy parents and discovering million of strange souvenirs that she'd never failed to send him. Now he had entire shelves occupied by stones, little scary looking dolls, fine china and other stuffs that he coudn't even name. So that time, they were basically talking about her recent stop in Norway and she was proudly showing him some fancy packages of biscuits, speaking loud and fast as she always did and shoving away her clingy friend with her right foot.

"Hey, I want to see your good-looking little brother too !"

"There's no way I'll let you corrupt him, go take your shower you stink !"

The angle of the camera suddenly changed and all he could see was the white ceiling of the hotel room. Shadows passed by from time to time but the loud quarrel in the background assured him his sister was still there. He couldn't help but smile fondly at the scene, remembering about their own past days together when they used to fight over a piece of cake or a mere toy. After a short while, she finally picked up her phone again and sighed heavily before laughing shyly. Her smile was the best thing on Earth he swore.

"It may be dumb, but it remembered me about us, you know. When we were younger and bickering over this stupid rabbit plush, it wasn't even worth it .." She said with a mocking tone, spreading a soft warmth in his chest. Funny how they still think the same way.

"Eh stop it ! Bobby is the best rabbit plush ever, I still sleep with it every night !" He replied, faking being outraged by her words.

"What ? A grown up man like you ? Hey son, you're turning 19 in Febuary !"

As usual, they ended up laughing together and talking non sense for at least one more hour before she recalled him about his so-called soon-to-come trip to the wheat fields.

"Oh by the way, dad and mom told me about your wish to become a manual worker. I laughed so hard they thought I'd turn crazy, but it's so not like you, I was dead surprised ! You better take care of your face so I can still brag about how pretty and handsome and y my brother is, kay ? Anyway, we ended up talking about places I visited to advise them for their marriage anniversary. They're so cheesy, did you know dad bought mom a ring again ? I think they talked about a yacht trip too .. They'll sure have plenty ways to spend their time when you'll be rolling in the mud. Sorry bro'."

His mind went blank for a second. What ? Dad and mom going where ? Without informing him ?

"Hey Jinan, why are you so pale ? Seen a ghost ?"

He awkwardly replied with a smirk before telling her he was tired and needed to go to sleep now if he didn't want to have a bad skin ; she knew how precious he was. She only raised her shoulders and mocked him before sending kisses and telling him again how she missed him and that she'll surely return to Korea for Christmas or even sooner. He then apologised for cutting short their call and sent kisses back before throwing his phone at the other side of his bed once the screen turned black and jumped on his feet. He'll have a talk with their parents, right now.

 

He tried to conviced them that he'll be doing good by himself if they let him alone in their penthouse, but they'd made up their minds and once they did, nothing could change it. He even belittled himself to whine and acted cute, begging them not to send him nowhere, lost between two micro town with only a church and a pub. They only spared him the knowing glare only parents could give and he shut up, resisting the urgent need to roll up his eyes and sigh as if his life was in depend.

So here he was, standing next to his parents with his suitcase on the perron of a huge house, as expected, lost in the middle of fields and woods and smelling like a compost bin. Who said the countryside's air was refreshing ? Yet, he had to admit that the house was better looking than he thought it would be, and way bigger than his own, expanding on twenty feet long and two floors high. The front wasn't made of stones but of smooth and beige concrete, the red tiled roof typical of the area and the windows decorated with white thin curtains and bordeaux wine painted wooden shutters. Before they could press the ringbell, he heard a dog starting to bark and running to the front door to scratch his paws on it. His heartbeat raised by a dozen and his grip on the strap of his bag became tighter. A voice shouted something inside the house and the dog seemed to calm down a bit. The familiar sound of the door lock didn't resonate before it swang open and Jinhwan's heart fluttered in his chest.

The boy standing in front of them was wearing a plain white loose tee-shirt and torn light blue jeans stained with mud, paint and what looked like gasoline. Even if his clothes and face were a bit dirty, the boy shone with an incredible handsomeness and his features were very much to Jinhwan's liking.