Run, Devil Run

Wonky Jumble

No predefined paring | Rating T | No romance | Complete for now

 

 

Once his feet crossed the door of his bedroom, he threw his school bag on top of his bed and immediatly changed himself. This new uniform didn't fit him at all. He took off his jacket, fingers quickly ing his longue sleeves shirt while using his toes to take off his shoes. Nearly , he stood in front of the mirror and let out a sigh. Seriously, he needed to take back his long lost appetite. Erasing his thoughts with a hand gesture, he put on his favorite training suit and pull his sneakers out from under his bed. He tied his shoelaces in a quarter of second, used to this routine by now.

Rushing down the stairs, he locked the door of his now empty house and headed to the running field. The walk barely lasted more than ten minutes but he used them to warm up his body. The weather was pretty cold in this mid-september, making his whole frail body shiver. When the familiar brown color of the athletic track met his eyes, he couldn't ignore the warm feeling spreading in his chest. Here he was. It was where he belongs and his body knew it.

As usual, since he moved to this city (that is to say one month ago) and started to run again, a small figure would always be there, running incessantly as if his life depends on it. Sometimes, he would be crying, other times, smiling with his eyes closed, or simply running with an expressionless face. The stranger seemed to be in his own world whenever he was running, enjoying the effort until deep down his bones and mind. His breath was steady, strides regular, and he'd always shine with an unreal beauty. It was fascinating.

But never, never did he see the small one stop running .. Until this day.

-

They were now sitting by each other, slowly drinking from their water bottle. The stanger was the first one to talk, breaking the silence with his sweet but yet quite nasal voice

"I've seen you run. Your style is really impressing .." 

He nearly chocked on his water. Whom ? His ? Did he see his own style ? He'd always chose between race running and endurance depending on his mood, but it was nothing particular at all. He found it almost ironical. So he simply raised his shoulders, not replying. He didn't know what to think of the other one, nor what to say now. Silence slipped between them again, but it wasn't discomfortable, rather relaxing and intimate. A small poke on his arm made him meet the smaller's eyes and serious face after a while.

"I'll be going, ok ? Let's talk again tomorrow."

He nodded and the other stood up, grabbing his sport bag before waving goodbye. When the small silhouette went out of sight, he realized that he didn't even ask for his name.

-

Days went by and their relation didn't evolve at all. They would simply run after the boring school days, ignoring the other and then, sit side by side in the same smooth silence. No names, no feelings. Or he thought so.

-

It was raining cats and dogs on that day, but he needed more than ever to let it go, to burst, so he headed for the running track without a doubt, firm steps leading his body under the downpour. Heartbeat slowly increasing (it would always be like that seconds before seeing his small friend, but he didn't know why ..), he felt a punch in his stomach when he saw the tiny body all curled up against the wall of the bleachers. His feet started to move faster, heart racing so fast it was about to explode.His arms instinctivly wrapped around the wriggling shoulders when he reached him. Small fingers grabbed his drenched shirt thightly and the crook of his neck became a rest spot for the trembling chin. He'd never felt so cold and so warm at the same time. Taking a deep breath, breathing in the once fluffy hair scent that he liked so much, he instinctively lifted a hand and ran a protective hand through the now wet strands.

" Shh .. Calm down, I'm here now."

He wanted to sound reassuring, soothing, but it came out barely louder than a whisper. He felt so broken inside. Something was missing.

The clapping of the raindrops against the asphalt was the only answer he got. He even wondered if the other had been able to hear what he said. They stayed in this position for a little while, sharing their oxygen, their heat and the regular beating of their heartbeats.

Like most of the time they spent together, the smaller was the one to break the silence. The voice he heard was unusually cracked, shaking, filled with silent tears.

"Why do you run .. ?"

The question got him startled, but he managed to keep his arms around the smaller's waist, where they had moved minutes ago.

" I don't really know. To relax, to unwind myself maybe ?"

He wished he could have gave a better answer, but his mind was so blank and he'd been thinking about the reason why for a full three minutes long pause now, so he spurted out what came first. All he wanted was to erase the pain with kisses and sweet words. It would have been the simpliest way. But when did he fall for him ? From where was coming this passion he never knew he had ? 

"What about you ?"

He asked without thinking. The voice he remember hearing was so fragile he feared the smaller would break at anytime in his arms. He was trying hard to calm the other, to comfort him, he swears he was. Oh lord, how he wished he could have done more than give a hug under the sinful rain.

" .. To forget."