Winter's Tale

4 Seasons of Love

“I don’t want to!” Kyla complained.

“You have to listen to me Kyla, Genovia is waiting for you!” her father replied.

“You and mom are still alive. Luke is there too, why does it have to be me?” she questioned.

“Because your brother is already a crowned King of another Kingdom and I need to pass on the crown”

“I’m not ready dad!”

“You can learn the process along the way”

“Still no”

And she marched away from her family who was inside the room with her. They have been arguing about passing the crown to Kyla but she refuses. She felt that she is not yet ready to take on the royal responsibilities. Not with how she recklessly decide on some things.

She slammed the door, exiting the room. She needed some air. She needed to think and clear her head. She was walking towards the hallway when she heard her bestfriend, Sungyeon shouting. She seems to be in a middle of argument with her family too. Both Kyla and Sungyeon are next in line and both of them felt that they were not prepared yet.

It is not her character to eavesdrop but the heated argument took her attention. She scouted closer to the door and listened. She thought maybe she would need it to comfort Sungyeon.

“I love someone else! I’m not going to marry anyone else!”

Those were enough for Kyla to stop what she was doing and head towards Nayoung’s room. She knocks on their door faintly and was opened right away by the sleepy Minkyung.

“Your highness”

“Unnie, I’m sorry to bother but can you take me to Eunwoo?”

“Sure”

It didn’t take them that long to head on to the car and head of to where Eunwoo lives. It is not far from where they are. Minkyung watched as Kyla looked outside the window and immersed herself in thoughts. Minkyung and Nayoung saw Kyla grow, you can almost say that they were the one who raised Kyla and for someone who don’t know them, they might think that Kyla is Minyung and Nayoung’s own child.

Minkyung knew if Kyla was stressed and as how her eyebrows furrowed, she clearly sees that the girl is somehow in a situation where she needed to think of things carefully. She knew that it was something to do with Eunwoo and probably her status as the upcoming queen of Genovia.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Minkyung tried to distract Kyla. She was driving her.

“Unnie, how did you manage to give up your crown for Nayoung unnie?”

“Our family is big and I’m not the next in line, it was pretty easy to convince them that I don’t need my royal status”

It was true. Minkyung is also of royal blood. She was a princess of the country next to where Kyla’s kingdom is. Minkyung gave her loyal status to marry the love of her life which is the chief of Privy Councilors.  Kyla and Sungyeon view their love for each other like the one written in the books. They look up to their love story and Kyla always wish that she would have the same fate in love like on Minkyung and Nayoung.

“Why are you asking?”

“My father wants to pass on the crown to me”

“And you don’t want to?”

“Sort of, I feel like I’m not ready yet and…”

“Eunwoo?”

“Yes”

“Eunwoo is smart, I think she would understand besides you can be queen while being a good girlfriend”

“I’m just thinking she might not like it”

“Did you ask her?”

“Not yet”

“Ask her later”

Kyla’s eyes widened upon hearing the suggestion. Minkyung was right, it won’t harm them if she asked. She mentally prepared herself and practice on how she would ask Eunwoo. There’s nothing more in life that she wanted besides from making Eunwoo her wife. She feared that she might end being asked to marry someone else and the thought of that was hurting her.

It didn’t take long for them to arrive in Eunwoo’s house. The night was silent and so was the surrounding. She knew that the people in this town were already asleep. She asked Minkyung to go back as she decided to spend the night with Eunwoo.

Her demeanor showed with how she knocked on Eunwoo’s door. It took a few minutes before the door was opened. Kyla smiled upon seeing the stunned Eunwoo who was brushing her teeth and head covered with a towel. She just went out from the shower.

She entered the house that she miss so much and plopped herself with the couch that served as her throne when she was watching the TV. She let Eunwoo finished her night rituals and waited for her.

“What brings you here?” Eunwoo said while drying her hair with the towel.

She sat beside her and when Eunwoo stopped whisking her hair with the towel, Kyla immediately captured her lips. She sent Eunwoo into a little shocked but she saw her smile upon realizing what was that for.

“I miss you”

“Seems like you miss me a lot to drive all the way down here at this hour”

“Anything for you, would you want to walk outside for a moment?”

“Oh, okay”

Kyla’s request was sudden but she needed to do what she planned. She came there for a purpose and Kyla is the type of person who fulfills her promise whether for someone else or herself.

Their hands were intertwined and the cold weather was not bothering them at all. Eunwoo’s hand was just too warm for Kyla. They saw a bench on the side of the park and decided to sit there for a moment. Eunwoo rested her head on Kyla’s shoulder and the girl caressed her face.

Eunwoo looked up and saw the growing worries in Kyla’s face. They’ve been together for some months but Eunwoo knew Kyla well. She had grown to perfect reading Kyla’s face. She removed her head from Kyla’s shoulder and she turned Kyla’s chin to face her.

“What’s wrong?”

Kyla moved back upon hearing the question. She stared at Eunwoo and that orbs that glisten to the night shows the growing concern on Eunwoo. Kyla sighed, she needs to tell Eunwoo.

“Sungyeon was asked to marry someone she does not love”

“Was that you?”

“What? No!”

“Poor Sungyeon but does that have something to do with you?”

“Yes”

“Are you getting married too?”

“Yes”

Eunwoo’s  gate of tears are provoking her to let it fall. The books she read sort of gave her an idea that a noble person must marry a noble person too and she’s way too far from being noble. As the gates of loneliness about to pour, they felt cold droplets from the sky, they looked up and it was the first snowfall. Eunwoo did not know what to do so she just nodded and stood up.  She wanted to be alone for now.

“Wait” Kyla pulled her arm.

“I must be crazy believing that you will be different”

“Huh? What are you saying?”

“You are getting married Ila”

“Yes but are you not going to ask to whom?”

“I know, you should just have told me that it was you that Sungyeon would marry”

Kyla laughed at what Eunwoo said, she did not realize that Eunwoo would think that she would marry Sungyeon. She wanted to blame the books and the movies that Eunwoo probably watched.

“It’s not funny you know”

Kyla stopped laughing and took a velvet box from her pocket. Eunwoo thought that it would be the last gift that Kyla would give her like what she read on the books. She wanted to punch Kyla for still smiling brightly. She does not know if the girl was playing with her feeling or not.

Kyla opened the box but it was facing her. Eunwoo does not know what was inside. Eunwoo’s eyes widened when she saw Kyla kneeled down in front of her and inside the box was a diamond ring.

“It was you whom I’m going to marry. Jung Eunwoo, will you marry me?”

Kyla was giving Eunwoo too much shock for the past hour and the gates that was wanting to open started to fall but this time it was tears of joy. She did not expect that Kyla would propose to her.

“Yes”

Kyla stood up and inserted the ring that she prepared beforehand. She actually bought the ring a month before her Eunwoo knew what she really is.  Eunwoo then pressed her lips with Kyla. The snow that was dropping from their head made it extra romantic as if Kyla planned it.

“My father decided to pass the crown to me and I should fulfill my royal duties. I’m not yet prepared but with you by my side I know I will get through”

Eunwoo’s tears streamed more upon hearing Kyla’s words. She did not expect that Kyla would want her to be on her side while she governs a country. It was like a fairytale but the main character is her.

She just nodded with what Kyla said. She does not know what will lies ahead but with them together, she knew they can survive.  

-----0-----

A/N: A pretty short update compared to the previous seasons. One chapter away and this will story would end. I just can't get enough of the cuteness of this ship. I know its pretty lame but I still wanted to have that cliche.

In reality Bucheon is like 20 minutes away from Seoul but I made it appear like it was far since that's where Eunwoo was from. Also, I hope that some royal terms did not cofuse you. Imagine me speaking in British accent. You can also read Kyla and Sungyeon's line in British accent. 

A little confession, I had this believe that when you experience first know with someone then whatever relationship that you have will prosper. I also have the same belief with fireworks which is why fireworks and first know will always be romantic in my eyes but that was when I was younger. 

This fic is nearing it's end. Only one season away from ending.