Chapter 2

Beauty and the Prosecutor

(a/n: In this story, I’ll purposefully use feminine noun gender such as; wife, maiden, queen although the subject is a man to clear things on who’s who in this story. I hope to avoid confusions in the near future.)

Night had fallen on Seoul, people are dreaming of a starry night that their city couldn’t possibly have. Middle and High school students are busy attending their cram schools and adults are busy doing their own work.

It might be one of the busiest time for many, only some are sleeping in their own beds drifting into nice, sacred sleep.

At least, tomorrow is another day for them. At least, once they open their eyes it would be another bright and dazzling path. Unlike his path.

For him days and nights are the same. It would always be as dark and gloomy as when he’s put at sleep. Anyone would think that he’s living a comfortable life, doing nothing but laying down on a soft mattress worrying about nothing in particular.

Little did they know, everything about him is worrisome; his past, his present, his future. Every breath he takes is painful as a thorn stabbing his lungs and his eyes are as heavy as a rock. He wanted to tear up and cry but his delicate face couldn’t even express what he feels.

 

It was his fault. If only he refused…

 

 

 

 

In late Joseon period, everything was perfect. There was a beautiful boy named Seokjin who had been a great center of attention for his delicate features, beautiful face, slim but curvy body that would put gisaengs’ into shame.

Kim Seokjin was also known for his great personality and intelligence. He wanted to attend Sungyunkwan just like other sixteen years old boys like him but his family was nothing but average people who could provide three meals a day if they were lucky.

He was never ashamed for it though. He’s proud. Proud that he had such great parents and ordinary life. Wearing ragged clothes never made him any less attractive and the dirt on his face could not even hide his milky white skin and full plump lips.

Countless of men had already confessed their heart on the boy. Some tried to use their wealth to ask Seokjin’s hand from his parents but they always returned with a sigh and slump shoulders.

However, there was a person who couldn’t hide his glee as he saw those men walking away from Kim’s household. Park Jimin.

Park Jimin, like Seokjin was only an average person. They used to be childhood bestfriends with Jimin acting like a knight in shining armor and Jin as fragile angel just like he really was.

But the imaginary armor Jimin had been wearing turned into a sword aiming at everyone’s head… Including Jin’s.

He should have refused by then.

The tempting offer of being the crown prince’s maiden and a future queen; he should have refused it.

But it was all too late.

 

Now he has to endure the past he had been dwelling with.

 

 

 

 

“Park Chanyeol. 25 years old. Both parents are deceased and lived your wife, Byun Baekhyun for these past four years, am I right?” Detective Min Yoongi asked or more like stated as his eyes raked over the man’s personal file.

“Y-Yes.” The blonde-haired man replied. His eyes are droopy and tired, his legs are fidgeting too much and he looks anywhere but the detective. Aside from the inspectors, the police station is filled with suspects, witnesses, victims, and victim’s family.

“Before the incident, did your husband had been saying something strange lately. Or did he mention anything about wanting to die even in a joking manner, had been reckless or leaving any will such as giving out the things important to him?” Detective Min’s voice managed to be firm and loud even with the shouts, pleads, and fights happening all over the place.

“N-No, he did not. But he did say sometimes when he comes home that he’s too tired and he just wanted to sleep forever. I… I didn’t know it was that—“ The man broke into a sobbing mess but considering that they’re in a busy police station and Mr. Min seeing many of these episodes ever since he started his work as a detective, he knew better than letting his emotions interfere with his work.

“We were sorry for your loss. But we need to find the reason why he killed himself. After some inspection at your house, we did not find any written will or something that would voice out the reasons on why did he commit suicide. If any abnormalities were concluded we might as well consider this case as murder.”

“Y-yeah? Murder? Why’d you think so?” This time, Chanyeol stopped fidgeting and looked directly at the detective with curiosity?

“Do you find anyone suspicious around your wife lately? It could be a close friend, relative, or even a co-worker.”

“There’s no one like that. My wife is not the type of person to be killed by one of his relative. He’s such a sweet and gentle person.” Chanyeol said, his voice is clearly filled with sorrow. Then tears started to flow in his eyes like a broken faucet.

“Okay, that’s all for today. You may go home and you might have to come tomorrow for finishing statements.” Yoongi closed his laptop and looked at the victim’s husband thoroughly. Chanyeol bowed down to the detective before he fades away from Mr. Min’s sight.

 

 

 

 

“Taehyung-ah, we should issue a warrant of arrest as soon as possible. We’ve got enough evidences.” Mr. Min sighed as he looked at the prosecutor, busy flipping over the pages of a case file. “But considering the amount of evidences we’ve got so far, the warrant of arrest is the best we can do. If he pleads not guilty inside the court, he could use his husband card to get away with murder.”

Taehyung stopped on his tracks. And as he laid the papers carefully at the top of the table, a small grin slowly formed on his lips, “We can’t let that happen, can we?”

Detective Min let out a small laugh as he looked at the beaming male. Aside from Jungkook and Namjoon, Taehyung is one of the best ace of the Seoul’s prosecution. A case that he couldn’t solve? Nah! That would be a joke of the day for Taehyung. For him the best evidence is the suspect’s mouth. Make him spill and the case would be over.

“Don’t worry, I’ll issue the warrant as soon as possible and I’ll make sure to squeeze the truth out of him at the interrogation room.” Detective Yoongi laughed a bit as the prosecutor made a squeezing action with his hands. “But Yoongi, are there really no other evidences regarding the Seoul Museum’s case?”

Yoongi sighed as his expression changed into a cold one. “Unfortunately, nothing. Foot prints are impossible to trace. Just like what you heard, there’s no other CCTV footage nor witnesses. It’s hard to profile the intruders since the intention wasn’t clear.”

“We tried to track down the thing they took. I believe it’s some sort of ancient bracelet. Since the name of the Joseon’s late King was embedded there it’ll cost millions for them, but I dare say they won’t sell it on a regular jewelry shop. Since the whole nation is focused on this case, they won’t be able to sell it unless they’ll sell it to a foreigner.”

“Argh! It’s hard. I sometimes regret that I even took this case but well, I want to have some salary increase after this so…” Taehyung stretched his arms on the air and breathed out loudly.

Yoongi chuckled, “Do you think you’ll really get a salary increase? I bet they won’t give you any.”

“Well, maybe… But I might as well get fame and some bonus after this.” Taehyung showed his boxy smile. So greedy.

“Tsk. If you want to fame and some bonus as you’re saying, you should hurry up and follow Jungkook.”

“Why?”

“I saw him earlier heading to the museum. He didn’t even bring any investigators.”

“What?” Taehyung looked at the detective in pure shock. “I’ve been wondering what the hell he’d been doing for the past few days. I guess he’s trying to take all the credit by himself—that little jerk.

“Wait, where are you going?”

“I’m going to follow him. Gotta find other possible evidence too.” Taehyung shouted as he slammed the door on Yoongi’s face, leaving him inside the cold room.

“Those prosecutors, really. They think they could do anything by themselves. I wonder if they’ll find anything without an intelligent and handsome detective like me.” Yoongi mumbled under his breath as he proceeded to walk out of the office. This is a common thing for the detective. Not the ‘leaving him behind’ part but the ‘I’m so handsome and intelligent that they’ll regret not bringing me along’ part.

Despite he’s usually cold expression and seriousness in his whole aura, he’s a self-proclaimed King of the detective division. Well, he believes it, we should let him live in his own delusions.

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, later that night, Jungkook went for the second time at the museum. Earlier, because of some disturbances (ehem—Taehyung) he really couldn’t find anything. Plus, there’s a certain path along the other part of the museum that the manager doesn’t want them to see. As a prosecutor, he should have the right to snoop around the museum, even in the prohibited parts.

So tonight, he’ll make sure he’ll find something useful.

The polices on guard outside the museum are nowhere to be seen as Jungkook arrived there which is suspicious since even if they went on break there must be substitute guard or something. But the raven haired cared nonetheless and instead, proceeded on his main intention.

But as he was once again looking at the scene, there’s nothing much to be noted really aside from the broken glasses and the empty seat which a what they say a very important bracelet once lied in. He had a severe insomnia ever since he was a kid since he doesn’t care that much about sleep but considering how late it is, he might as well come back tomorrow with other investigators.

He also conclude that maybe that prohibited room has something important stored that’s why they didn’t let him in. He should not meddle with other’s business.

But as he was about to walk outside the main hall, he saw someone suspicious entering the museum. The prosecutor immediately hid behind a table with artifacts and watched the intruder’s moves quietly.

Who knows, he might be one of the thieves.

But he’s dressed too nicely to be a thief. Oh, he forgot that the trends between criminals these days are to dress up nicely to earn people’s trust. But he couldn’t be so sure so he continued watching. The man scanned the hall first before closing the giant doors and locking it from the inside. Jungkook glued his eyes on the intruder.

Loud clik-clok echoed as the man walked farther towards the other side of the museum. It’s dark but Jungkook could see the man’s silhouette. When he’s sure that he was in a safe distance, he proceeded to follow the man without making any noise. Thanks to detective Min.

Jungkook noticed that the man is going to the prohibited side of the museum. There are large doors separating the main hall and that room. Jungkook wondered what’s in there that even the manager refused for him to go.

Suddenly, the man stopped walking as he looked directly in front of the door as if waiting for it to move on his own but what shocked Jungkook is when the man knocked and said…

 

“Your humble servant is here, your highness.”

 

 

-To be continued-

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: Whoooo that was a tough one. The plot is swirling in my head like crazy. I really can’t understand myself. I like multitasking. That’s why I’m making so many stories and barely even have time to update them. BUTTTTT I feel very satisfied whenever I update a story. It seems like I’m doing something great for once.