Chapter 07

Thanks for the Memories

The drive back to Seoul had been a little awkward for the both Da Hee and Yoongi. Neither of them exactly sure what had transpired between them, but they had both felt it. At the moment when their eyes had met, something had changed between them. Neither of them could explain exactly what had changed, but something was definitely different.

 

For the next two weeks, Yoongi buried himself in work. He messaged Da Hee occasionally, but they hadn’t met up since that day at the beach. He spent that time trying to work out what exactly had happened at that moment at the beach.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi sat in his studio, he had barely gotten anything done all day. He figured that he had been overdoing it so his brain was rebelling and telling him to rest. He thought about his first mini road trip with Da Hee and how easy it had been to work afterwards.

 

He sighed at himself, “Why do all my thoughts lead me back to Da Hee?” he wondered aloud as he staring at the ceiling, as if the answers he wanted were printed there. He hadn’t come any closer to figuring out what he had been feeling at that moment in the beach, but what he did know was that he missed her. It had only been a couple of weeks, but it felt even longer.

 

He checked the time, figuring that she would still be awake despite the late hour. He pulled his phone from his pocket and pulled up Da Hee's number. He hesitated for a few seconds before hitting the call button. The phone rang a few times before someone answered. Yoongi froze at the sound of a man’s voice. He checked the time again, it was well past midnight. “Hey, I’m looking for Da Hee?” he said a little hesitantly, wondering if he had somehow managed to call the wrong number. “She’s in the shower.” The man answered as if it was nothing.

 

Yoongi’s blood ran ice cold as a million thoughts ran through his mind. She had a boyfriend? He wondered why she hadn’t ever mentioned it. “Oh, right. I’ll call back later.” He said through gritted teeth before hanging up, not giving the stranger a chance to reply. He threw his phone onto his desk. “Why am I so angry? Who cares if she has a boyfriend? It’s not like she has to tell me every detail of her life.” He half shouted as he stood up and started pacing around his studio. “Why am I so frustrated?” he muttered to himself as he took off his beanie, throwing it onto his chair, suddenly feeling too hot. He stopped pacing and crossed his arms, glaring down at his phone as if it was to blame for his frustration.

 

He threw himself back into his chair. “This is stupid. She's an adult. She can date whoever she likes.” He grumbled as he started shutting down all his equipment, ignoring the obvious answer for his frustrations. “Wait… didn’t that Youngji girl say that she didn’t have a boyfriend?” he said, his hands frozen over his keyboard. “Then that guy… a one night stand?” he shook his head and quickly shut down his computer. “No way. Da Hee isn’t that type of girl.” He said as he pulled on his beanie and jacket before storming out of his studio, hoping to leave those kinds of thoughts behind him.

 

 

“Why is this bothering me so much? It’s not like I like her or anything.” He muttered as he drove around the quiet streets in an attempt to get rid of his frustrations. An uncomfortable feeling, different from the one he had experienced after their time at the beach, began to settle in his chest. “Am I … jealous?” he spluttered, the thought suddenly dawning on him. “No way. I can’t be jealous.” He said as she shook his head, forcing himself to focus on driving and not on the fact that thinking of another guy being with Da Hee made him feel physically ill.

 

 

Yoongi barely slept that night as he thought about his feelings. He had never considered that his feelings for Da Hee had extended past friendship. The had met purely by accident and at first they had only met up because he had accepted her offer to become his personal taxi whilst he waited for his car to be repaired. Before he had realised it, he had started looking forward to spending time with her every day. As the clock changed to show three am, he sighed loudly, covering his face with his arm. “I like her.” he muttered to himself.

 

 

 

 

The next morning, he was tired and irritable. He hadn’t planned on going into the studio, which he was thankful for. He knew that he wasn’t in the mood to get anything done. He had tossed and turned most of the night after his realisation that his feelings for Da Hee extended past friendship. He had finally fallen asleep long after the sun had risen.

 

The loud ringing of his phone woke him up not long after he had fallen asleep. He didn’t bother to check the caller, his eyes barely open as he reached out in the general direction of his phone, the slim device almost falling from his slack fingers. He blindly pressed the screen, not really caring if he answered or declined the call. Through blurry eyes he saw the screen showing he had answered the call before he flopped back down against his pillow. “What?” he mumbled, his face squished by the pillow. He heard a familiar chuckle and sat bolt upright. “Bad time?” He ran his hand through his hair, trying to smooth it down, despite that fact that she couldn’t actually see him. “No, its fine.” He said, his voice still thick with sleep. “It sounds like I woke you up. I can call back later if you want?”

 

“No!” he said a little too quickly. He cursed himself for sounding so desperate. “I mean, its fine.” He fumbled for his alarm clock, noting that it was only nine o’clock. “I was wondering if you were free and wanted to meet up? It’s been a while since we last saw each other.” She said, a strange note to her voice. “But if you're tired or whatever then its fine, it doesn’t matter.” She added quickly. “I’m free.” He said quickly. Even though he was confused over who that man was that had answered her phone the night before, and even more confused over the fact that he had just worked out how he felt about her, he wanted to see her.

 

“Let’s meet for dinner.” He suggested. “I know a nice place.” He said. “Okay, where should I meet you?” she asked. “I’ll pick you up. Text me your address.” She agreed and they set a time to meet. She text him her address right after they hung up. He looked at the address and quickly checked it out on his map. He lay back down in bed, thankful that she had called him. He wasn’t sure if he would have been able to contact her right away after the revelations of the night before. He set an alarm for noon, his body screaming out for him to get some sleep. He closed his eyes and let sleep take hold.

 

 

 

He picked her up exactly on time and took her to a quiet restaurant that he often visited. She was dressed nicely, but not overly fancy. She was wearing heavier make up than normal, but even that couldn’t hide the change that had taken place in her since he had last saw her at the beach. She was paler than normal, and her face looked more drawn in, as if she hadn’t been eating. She looked ill, even if she had smiled brightly at him when she slipped into his car. He asked her if she was okay, but she had just brushed his question aside which only increased his worry.

 

They arrived at the restaurant and ordered their drinks and food, their conversation remaining light. It wasn’t until they were halfway through dinner that Yoongi was finally able to bring up one of the things that had been bothering him. “Hey, so I actually called you last night.” He said, carefully watching her reaction. “You did?” she said, her eyes growing bigger in surprise. “That’s weird, I don’t remember seeing any missed calls.” She mumbled as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. “That’s because it wasn’t missed, someone answered it.” He said, hoping that she would fill in the blanks for him.

 

“Ah, he should of told me he answered a call from you! In fact, he shouldn’t have been answering my phone at all. He’s so nosey.” She said with a chuckle as she slipped her phone back into her pocket. He held back the urge to reach over the table and shake her for her lack of an answer. The fact that she sounded so happy when she mentioned the mysterious person that had answered his call made his blood boil. It was obviously someone that she cared about. He felt lost, not knowing how to continue the conversation to find out what he wanted to know without looking like he was prying into her life.

 

“You know, there's actually a reason why I asked you to meet me tonight.” She said, her tone turning serious. Here it is. She's going to admit that she's seeing someone. He thought as he put down his chopsticks. “I wanted to apologise for being kinda MIA lately.” she said, her fingers nervously drumming on the table. “You see this time of year is always kinda rough.” She said. Yoongi noticed that she was biting her bottom lip. Her lipstick had disappeared and her lip blossomed red from her teeth. “It was my dad’s death anniversary two days ago.” She said, her voice so quiet he almost didn’t hear her.

 

Yoongi felt like the ground had just been pulled out from underneath him. That was the last thing he had expected her to say. “Da Hee, I’m so sorry. I had no idea.” Yoongi said sympathetically, reaching out to cover her hand with his. She gave him a weak smile. “It’s okay, my brother was in town for the past few days, I just took him to the airport this morning, that’s why I ended up calling you so early.”

 

“Your brother? He's the one that answered your phone last night?” he asked, barely daring to believe what he was hearing. She nodded. “Yeah, he works in Jeju so he just crashed on my couch while he was here for my dad’s anniversary.” Yoongi had to fight down a laugh of happiness. He couldn’t believe how wrong he had gotten the whole situation. He forced down his happiness as he squeezed her hand, remembering the situation at hand. “I’m glad your brother was there for you. If I'd known, I would have been there for you too.”

 

She gave him a thankful smile. “Thanks, Yoongi. But I didn’t want to bother you with all that baggage. I always get really down in the lead up to his anniversary, my mum’s too, but because my dad only died two years ago I’m still not dealing with it as well as I should. I didn’t want my bad mood to affect you.” She said quietly.

 

“Good mood, bad mood, it’s all the same. You can come to me with anything.” He said with the tiniest smile that made her heart flutter. He gave her hand one last squeeze before letting go, both of them feeling a hundred times better as the air was cleared. Their conversation turned light hearted again as Yoongi put some food onto her plate. “Eat more.” He said, making a small smile appear on her lips.

 

 

That night when he got home. The first thing he did was to grab the small notepad that he now kept next to his memory jar and wrote another memory.

 

Da Hee is single and I like her…