Chapter 04

Thanks for the Memories

Their routine continued for the next few days. Da Hee would pick Yoongi up in the morning and wait for his call at night to take him back home. They both soon found themselves looking forward to the short time that they spent together twice a day.

 

A few days after she began picking him up, he groggily made his way to her car, exhausted from being up half the night. He mumbled a good morning to her as he all but fell into her car. She gave him a worried look before pulling out into the traffic. She could tell that he wasn’t up for a conversation, so she turned down the volume of her stereo, not wanting to disturb him when he was obviously beyond tired.

 

By the time she arrived outside of his studio, he was fast asleep. She turned off the engine and turned to face him, a smile appearing on her face as she took in his appearance. He was wearing his signature ripped jeans and leather jacket, but no cap today, meaning that she had an unobstructed view of his face. Her hand itched to reach forward and see if his hair was as smooth and soft as it looked. Her smile turned to a frown when she noticed the dark circles under his eyes. She quietly sighed and reached forward, gently shaking his shoulder. “Yoongi?” she whispered.

 

He mumbled back at her, shifting his position slightly, his head lolling to the side. She stifled a laugh as she shook him a little harder. “Yoongi, we’re here.” She said a little louder. He slowly blinked his eyes as he tried to take in his surroundings. He yawned and rubbed his eyes. “Are we here already?” he asked. She nodded, “Yeah, you fell asleep almost straight away.” She said, the smile still on her face.  He gave her a sleepy, apologetic smile. “Sorry. I was up almost all night trying to work out a problem with a new song I'm working on. I just can’t get the beat to flow the way I want it to.” She frowned at his frustrated tone as he rubbed his eyes again, trying to wake himself up. She patted his arm and gave him an encouraging smile. “I’ve listened to your songs, they're all amazing, I’m sure you’ll work it out.” She said. He gave her a half smile. “Thanks.”

 

“Maybe you're just trying too hard?” she suggested. “Maybe if you took a step back away from the song for a while, it would be easier for you to see where the problem is?” Yoongi frowned but nodded, her words making some sense even in his half-awake state.  “Maybe you're right.” He said as he let his head fall back against the headrest. “If you need a way to get away from the song, I have a photoshoot outside the city this afternoon, you're more than welcome to come with me.” She offered. “I need to leave around one o’clock. Just call me before then if you wanna come with me.” He gave her a smile. “I’ll let you know.” He said as he got out of the car. He gave her a quick wave before heading into the building.

 

 

He spent the rest of the morning trying to figure out what the song was missing, but he just couldn’t work it out. He had hit a wall and it seemed that the harder he tried to figure out how to fix it, the more elusive the answer seemed to be. By twelve thirty, his already thin patience had reached its limit. He pushed away from his desk, letting his chair roll back until it hit the wall behind him. “Screw this.” He muttered as he pulled his phone out from his pocket. He pulled up Da Hee’s number and called her, hoping he wasn’t too late to catch her.

 

“Hey, it’s me.” He said when she answered. “Is your offer still open to go on your photoshoot with you?” he asked, smiling in relief when she said yes. She told him that she would be there in half an hour to pick him up. He quickly shut down all of his equipment and made his way down to the entrance of the building. While he was waiting, his phone rang. He pulled it out, the receptionist from the garage greeting him warmly. “We managed to locate a bumper for your car more easily than we originally anticipated. Your car should be ready to pick up by tomorrow afternoon.”

 

He froze at her words, “Really? But I thought that it was going to take longer?” he asked. He listened as she explained that a car the same make and model with his with engine problems but with the rest of the car in good condition had been found, meaning that the bumper had been there and ready to use. He nodded, “Okay. I’ll transfer the money and go pick it up tomorrow.” He said before hanging up as Da Hee pulled up in front of him. “Hey!” she shouted through the open window, making him look up from his phone. A smile instantly appeared on his face as he slipped his phone into his pocket and got into the car. “Ready for a mini road trip?” she asked. He nodded, feeling unusually excited. “Let’s go.” He said with an easy smile. She turned up the volume on the stereo and started driving.

 

 

 

It took them almost two hours to reach their destination. “I can’t remember the last time I left Seoul.” Yoongi said quietly as he watched the scenery flash by them. “You're not from Seoul though, right?” she asked, trying to remember what his profile had said about him when she had looked him up online; not that she’d ever admit to doing so. “Daegu.” He said as he turned back around, his eyes focusing out the windscreen instead of his window. “Ah, I've been there a few times. I have some friends there.” She said as she turned off the motorway and down a quieter road. “I haven’t been back in a really long time.” he admitted. “Too long.”

 

She gave him a sympathetic smile. “You must miss your family a lot.” She said, a note of sadness in her voice that didn’t go unnoticed by her passenger. He nodded, but before he could say anything else, she pointed out in front of them. “We’re here.” She said enthusiastically. Yoongi smiled at the scene around them. There was a river flowing to their right, the barren road of the motorway had completely given way to nature, everything around them was green. “I had no idea there was a place like this so close to Seoul.” He admitted as he looked out of every window, trying to see everything at once.

 

She smiled at his expression. “I know all the best hidden places in Korea. The photographs that I got published in that magazine I told you about before were from here. I brought a couple here to shoot some wedding photos.” She said as she stopped her car in a large grassy area and killed the engine. “How did you even find this place?” he asked as he unbuckled his seatbelt. “I was on my way back from another photoshoot and got myself completely lost. I pulled in down the road that we just came down to try and find myself on my map to get home and I stumbled across this place.

 

She leant over to his side of the car and popped open the glove box and pulled out a diary that was so full that it no longer closed properly. She flicked through some of the pages, Yoongi managing to catch glimpses of them. Some of the pages had handwritten notes on them, some had photographs stuck to them, and others had post it notes attached to them. She finally stopped at a page and held it out to him. He carefully took the diary and examined the photographs that had been stuck to the pages. “I took these photos that day when I got lost and added them to my list of places to use for photoshoots.”

 

He flicked through a few more pages, marvelling at the detail and care that had obviously went into making the diary. “Do you record everywhere you go?” he asked. She nodded, “Yeah. I take notes on what’s around because I never know when it will come in handy again.” he flicked through a few more pages before handing back the diary. “That’s really impressive.” He said. She beamed back at him. “Come on, let’s go explore.” She said as she got out of the car, taking her camera out of its case from the back seat.

 

He watched as she took a couple of photos and adjusted the settings on the camera. “What are you taking photos for?” he asked as he looked around, taking in the scenery around him, enjoying the quiet that was rare in a busy city like Seoul. “I need to take some shots for an advertisement. The company that hired me is trying to become more energy efficient and they want some shots of nature to show what they're trying to protect. They pretty much gave me free reign on this, so I’m kinda free to shoot what I like and they’ll pick the ones they like best.” She said as she finished adjusting the camera’s settings. He gave her an impressed smile. “That’s pretty cool.” He said as she started taking photos.

 

They both wandered off in their own directions, her focusing on getting a variety of shots and him enjoying the peace and quiet that was rare when living in a big city like Seoul. He eventually made his way down towards the river. He found a relatively flat rock and climbed on top of it, content to listen to the sound of the water as it rushed by him. Da Hee appeared near him sometime later. He smiled at the look of concentration on her face, one that often appeared on his own face, as she carefully lined up each shot, checking each one afterwards.

 

He had to admit that deciding to join her had been the best decision he had ever made. They had only been at the river for around half an hour, but already, almost of his stress had been washed away. He hadn’t felt this calm in the longest time. She lifted her camera, moving it slowly in his direction. He could hear the sound of the shutter as she snapped photo after photo. When the camera landed on him she snapped one more photo before lowering the camera and smiling at him. “Hey, hope you're not too bored.” She said as she started making her way closer him, careful not to trip over the rocks that littered the ground below her feet.

 

“No, this place is amazing.” He said, subconsciously smiling at her as she approached. She grinned back at him as she got closer, one hand protectively holding onto her camera even though the strap was secured around her neck. She cursed as she slipped on one of the rocks but she didn’t even have time to even consider catching her balance before Yoongi’s hand wrapped around her wrist and pulled her upright. As he reached forward to grab her, he slipped down off of the rock he had been sitting on, his feet firmly landing below him as he pulled Da Hee towards him.

 

She crashed against his chest, falling in between his open thighs, his back hitting the rock behind him as he wrapped the arm that wasn’t holding her wrist around her waist. He let out a grunt when his back connected with the rock, but he didn’t loosen his hold on her. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” she said, her words muffled by his shoulder. She found her footing and pulled back just enough that she could look up at his face. “I’m so clumsy! Are you ok?” she asked. He grimaced slightly before smiling at her. “I’m alright, what about you?” he asked as he helped her stand up properly. She shook her head, “I’m fine, I just lost my footing.” She said as she quickly eyed her camera, making sure it hadn’t been damaged.

 

He pushed himself off of the rock with a slight wince which she picked up on. “Oh my god, you are hurt!” she said, her voice laced with guilt. “It’s fine.” He said, waving off her concern. “Let me see.” She said as she reached forward, her fingers grasping the hem of his t-shirt. He grabbed her wrists. “What are you doing?” he asked, his eyes wide in shock. “I need to check your back, turn around.” She said as she pulled her wrists from his grip. “Da Hee!” he said as she forced him to turn around.

 

She pulled his t-shirt half way up his back before he could stop her. She smiled at the lack of obvious injuries. She let his t-shirt fall back down and he spun back around to face her, pulling down the fabric of his t-shirt. “Thankfully it’s only a little red. You might end up with a bruise later though.” She said, completely oblivious to Yoongi's embarrassment. “I told you I was fine.” He muttered, suddenly not able to meet her eyes. “I had to check, just to make sure.” She said as she turned to look at the river. “I swear I must be a jinx or something. Every time we meet I end up injuring you or doing something else equally stupid.” She said with a sad sigh.

 

Yoongi frowned. “That’s not true. You’ve been driving me to and from work all week and nothing bad has happened.” He said as he moved to stand beside her. “If anything you're the opposite of a jinx.” He said frowning when she wouldn’t make eye contact with him. “Hey.” He said gently as he reached out for her shoulder, turning her to face him. “Okay, maybe our first meeting wasn’t ideal, but after the first day you took me to work, you talked about how cool you thought my job was and it gave me major inspiration. I got more done that one day than I had in the entire week. Then there's today. You suggested bringing me along with you to clear my head, and its worked. I've haven’t felt this at peace in a really long time.” he admitted as he turned to fully face her, giving her a smile. “You're not a jinx, Da Hee, you're a blessing.”