Chapter 03

Thanks for the Memories

By ten that evening, Yoongi was exhausted, but he felt great. He had gotten more work done in the past twelve hours than he had in the past week. He didn’t know if it was because of his good mood from the morning, or if inspiration had just hit him well today. Either way, he didn’t care. All he cared about was the fact that he had gotten so much done. He sent a text to Da Hee, not wanting to call her in case she was already asleep, he had no idea what her schedule was like.

 

She replied almost instantly and said that she would be at his office in twenty minutes. He took his time shutting down all of his equipment before making sure to pick up the note he had written that morning. He carefully stuck it to his notebook before putting it in his bag and heading down to the entrance. He only had to wait for five minutes before he spotted Da Hee’s car. He felt a little guilty when he noticed her scraped bumper. The damage to his car had definitely been worse, but he still felt bad that she was paying for his car to get fixed when it looked like she wasn’t making an attempt to get her car fixed. He wondered if she couldn’t afford to pay for her own car’s repairs because she was paying for his.

 

She smiled at him as he got into the car. “Hey, I thought you would have called later the way you were talking about your weird schedule before.” She said as she pulled out into the quiet road. “Things just kinda flowed today, so I decided to have an early night for a change.” He said as he watched her, the lights from the passing street lamps highlighting her face. “Can I ask you something?” he asked. She nodded as she kept her focus on the road. “Have you had anyone look at the damage to your car?” he asked. He swore that a faint blush appeared over her cheeks, but it was hard to tell with just the intermittent burst of orange light from the streetlamps they passed. “No, I haven’t.” she admitted. “But the damage isn’t that bad! Your car definitely got more damaged than mine! Mine only has a scratch, it’s not a big deal.” She added quickly, flashing him a reassuring smile.

 

He hummed in agreement, but didn’t say any more. They drove along in silence for a while before his stomach growled, breaking the silence. She burst out laughing at the sound. “Shut up.” he mumbled as he turned to look out of the window, suddenly feeling embarrassed. “Sorry.” She said in between giggles as she tried to focus on the road in front of her. “I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that you haven’t eaten yet, right?” she asked as she glanced over at him. He shook his head. “I didn’t realise I was hungry until now.” He muttered. She stifled another laugh and cleared . “There's a pretty good jajangmyeon place not too far from here if you want to grab something?” she offered. “Wouldn’t that be a bother for you?” he asked, not wanting to put her out even more than he already had. He had initially accepted her offer for a ride without a second thought, but after seeing her scratched up car, he felt a little guilty.

 

She shook her head, “I haven’t eaten yet either, so it would actually suit me.” She said. He nodded, “Okay, let’s do it.” He said. She smiled as she quickly changed lane and drove them towards the restaurant. “So how come you haven’t eaten yet?” he asked. She chuckled. “I got wrapped up in some stuff and lost track of time. I didn’t even realise how late it was until I got your text.” Yoongi chuckled, “Looks like we have that in common.” He said as she pulled up outside of the restaurant.

 

They got out of the car and entered the small restaurant, the owner greeting them warmly. They ordered their food and sat at a table at the back corner. “So, how did you get into music?” she asked as she poured some water for them both. “I got into it in middle school. I started writing my own lyrics then I progressed into making my own beats. I performed with some friends in an underground hip hop group.” a small, fond smile appeared on his face at the memories. “We weren’t very good in the beginning, but we slowly got better and better. Then I applied for a job with a company. Someone there recognised my potential and decided to take me under his wing. He showed me how to make real music and I’ve been there ever since.”

 

“That is so cool. That’s awesome that you're getting to do something that you're passionate about.” She said as the owner brought over their food. Yoongi flashed her an embarrassed smile, he wasn’t used to people being so in awe of his job. “What about you? What do you do?” he asked as he started eating. “I’m a photographer.” Yoongi’s eyebrows shot upwards. “Really?” he asked. She nodded shyly. “Yeah. I kinda got into it when I was a kid, I loved messing about with my mum’s camera. I wasn’t really good at school or anything, I was rubbish at studying. Taking pictures was the only thing I was good at. My poor parents must have spent a fortune getting all of my photographs developed. No matter how bad the photos were, especially when I was younger, they would always encourage me. Then my mum passed away when I was in high school and I decided that I was going to be a photographer because my photographs had always made her happy.”

 

“I’m so sorry.” Yoongi said, feeling like an idiot for asking her such a personal question. She shook her head, “It’s okay.” She said before continuing her story. “So, I went to uni thinking that I would graduate and it would be so easy to start making a living just taking photographs.” She laughed, “Boy, was I wrong.” She said as she played with her food rather than eating it.

 

“What happened?” he asked curiously, his food almost forgotten as he listened to her talk. The more she shared, the more he wanted to hear. “Turns out it’s actually really hard to make it as a full time photographer. I was still staying with my dad and working part time in a convenience store to keep some sort of income. I took on any job I could get, which wasn’t a lot at the start. It’s really hard to make a name for yourself, especially when no one is willing to give an unknown photographer a chance.” She said as she played with her food, the memories of those hard times still fresh in her mind.

 

“But you said you were a full time photographer now?” he asked, remembering what she had said before. She looked up at him with a smile. “I make enough to get by. I was lucky enough to get some photos published in a major magazine two years ago and that gave my reputation a boost, I started getting more regular work after that. I have my own place now, but I’m trying to save up to get a proper studio to work in. You should see my apartment.” She said with a chuckle. “It’s half living space, half working space.” Yoongi smiled, the scenario sounding familiar to him. “My place is the same. Even if I’m not at the studio, I’m usually still working so my apartment looks more like a studio sometimes.”

 

She smiled at him. “Another thing we have in common.” She said before focusing back on her food. Their conversation flowed easily from then on, both of them talking more about their work. They stayed in the restaurant long after both of them had finished eating. They eventually left when they noticed the staff starting to clean up for the night. They headed back to her car, continuing their conversation from inside.

 

She dropped him off at his apartment, waving to him before she pulled away. Yoongi adjusted the strap of his backpack with a smile before he made his way into his building. He snapped on the lights in his apartment as he headed into the kitchen for a drink. He pulled out a bottle of water and opened it, the mason jar he had bought before catching his eye. He took a quick drink before picking up the jar. He examined it before smiling and putting it back down. He rummaged through his bag and pulled out his notebook, his note from that morning still stuck to the front. He pulled the post it off and re-read it before carefully folding it and putting it into the jar.

 

He looked at the jar for a few minutes before he carefully pulled out a page from his notebook and wrote out another memory for the jar.

 

Met someone that has a few things in common with me. She’s really easy to talk to…

 

He looked at the sentence for a minute, he was almost temped to rip it up but changed his mind at the last second. He folded up the piece of paper and put it into the jar with the other one. “Two in one day.” He said, a small smile making its way onto his face before he made his way into his bedroom.