Chapter 06

Thanks for the Memories

A few days later, Yoongi woke up to a message from Da Hee.

 

Hey! I got paid for that advertising job earlier than I thought. Send me your bank details and I’ll send you the money for your car. Xxx

 

He frowned as he read the message. Disappointment flooded through him when he realised that this meant that she would no longer be picking him up for work. He hadn’t told her that he had already paid for the car as he had grown to love the time that they spent together. He stared at the message for several minutes before he sent his reply, telling her that there was no rush and that he didn’t mind waiting for the money. She replied almost instantly, telling him that it was fine, that she had sorted out her finances so that she could pay him.

 

He reluctantly sent her his bank details, wishing that he could have thought of some way of putting her off from giving him the money. When she messaged him a little later to say that the money had been transferred, he couldn’t help but worry about whether or not he would see her again. They had grown quite close in the short time that they had known each other. He had let her into his studio, let her hear the songs he was working on, and told her things about himself that he had told only a handful of people. He hoped that although they wouldn’t see each other every morning and night anymore, that their friendship wouldn’t fade away.

 

 

He quickly showered and got ready before heading out to his appointment. His therapist was immaculately dressed as normal. It bothered him how she never seemed to get ruffled or ever had a hair out of place. It gave her an artificial, clinical feel that always made him a little on edge. He tried to push those thoughts away as he focused on answering her questions. She always started with the same kinds of questions, how he was, what had he been up to since their last appointment. Usually his answers were always the same. He was fine, and he had been working. This time, he had more to tell her about. He told her about his meeting with Da Hee, and how the two of them had become close in such a short period of time.

 

She smiled at him as he spoke, occasionally writing something in her ever present notebook. She didn’t interrupt him, happy to hear him talking so freely. Usually he was always on guard, as if afraid to say too much. He frowned when he reached the part of his story about Da Hee sending him the money for the repairs for his car. “What’s the matter?” she asked, poised as always to take note of what he said. He sighed and leant back in the overly stuffed chair. “I’m worried.” He admitted quietly. She waited patiently for him to continue. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Yoongi spoke again. “I’m worried that now that Da Hee has sent me the money and we won't see each other in the mornings or the evenings anymore that we’ll drift apart. I feel like we’ve connected but I’m worried that we’re gonna lose that if we stop meeting up like this.”

 

She gave him a warm smile, silently pleased that he had made such a strong connection with someone. “Well, if it’s true that you’ve made that connection with her, then there's no reason for you to grow apart. You might not see each other as often as before, but that doesn’t mean that you’ll never see her again.” she said reassuringly. Yoongi nodded and quickly changed the topic, he hadn’t meant to touch on such a sensitive topic, even if that was the whole reason he was there.

 

“Oh, and I finally put some memories in the memory jar.” He said, hoping to distract her from prying further into his relationship with Da Hee. She smiled at his attempt to change the topic. She decided to let him away with it, already happy that he had shared his worry with her. “Really?” she asked. He nodded, “Yeah, there's a few in there now. It’s become second nature for me to put things in there now.”

 

“When did you add the first memory?” she asked. He thought back before remembering the first note that he had written when Da Hee had taken him to work for the first time and she had talked about how cool she thought his job was. “It was the day after I met Da Hee. She told me that she thought my job sounded interesting and it kinda stuck with me. So the first thing I added was that I have a cool job.” He said, a small smile on his face as he thought back to that time. His therapist made a few notes before they continued with their session.

 

 

Once their session was over, Yoongi pulled his phone from his pocket and turned it back on. He sat in his car for a few minutes, catching up with the emails and messages he had missed. He was just about to drive off when a call from Da Hee came through. “Hey.” He said as he leant back in the seat. “Hey, are you busy?” she asked. He shook his head, “Nope, what’s up?” he asked. “Well, I was wondering if you have any free time this weekend? I've got a photoshoot to do and it’s a long drive by myself, I could use some company if you're up for it?”

 

He grinned to himself, wondering if she had had the same kind of thoughts as he had in the morning and was looking for a way to keep them connected since she wouldn’t be picking him up anymore. “Sounds good. What kind of photoshoot are we doing this time?” he asked. “It’s some shots for a girl who is looking to become a model. We’ve already done her normal headshots, so she's looking for some different ones to show off her different charms. Her boyfriend is coming along as well, so I’ll probably end up taking photos of the two of them. We’re heading to a beach this time.”

 

“Sound awesome.” He said, already excited at the thought of meeting her again. “Excellent. I’ll pick you up at nine on Saturday morning, okay?” he nodded. “Great, see you then.” He smiled as he put down his phone and put his car into gear. He drove around for a while, happy knowing that he would be seeing her in less than forty eight hours.

 

 

 

 

 

When they arrived at the location for the photoshoot, the model and her boyfriend hadn’t arrived yet. “I’m gonna wander around and get some test shots.” Da Hee said as she pulled out her camera. Yoongi stretched as he got out of the car, his body protesting from being sitting down in the car for so long. She quickly adjusted the settings on her camera before wandering out across the sand, her shoes lying forgotten by the side of her car. Yoongi leant against the side of her car, watching as she took photos of the ocean, some kids playing in the waves, the sand, some shells, and anything else that caught her attention.

 

A small smile crept onto his face as he watched her. She eventually turned the camera around to him and he heard the sound of the shutter as she took some photos. “Yah!” he shouted. “I didn’t give you permission to take my photo!” he yelled at her. She laughed and took a couple more before sticking her tongue out at him. He chuckled as he raced down the beach towards her, much faster than she had been expecting. She let out a squeal as she ran away from him. He shouted after her, telling her to stop but she only turned around long enough to snap another photo, which she guessed would probably end up being of the sky and not him.

 

He eventually caught up to her, his arms wrapping around her waist and holding her against him. “Damn, you're fast.” He panted. She chuckled, “What about you? You don’t look like you could move that fast.” She replied with a laugh. She turned in his arms and he slowly dropped his arms to his side. “Well, let me see them.” He demanded playfully. She held her camera close to her chest. “No way! You’ll just delete them.” She said with a pout. He reached up and ruffled her hair affectionately. “I promise I won't.”

 

She gave him a playful glare before bringing up the photos. They both laughed at the blurry photo she had taken over her shoulder. They could just make out the top of his hair and the rest was all sky. He nodded in satisfaction when his photos came up. “Not too bad.” He said as he ruffled her hair again. She beamed at his compliment before she heard someone call her name. She looked around Yoongi to see her model and her boyfriend standing by her car. She waved back enthusiastically. “Come on.” She said as she made her way back across the sand, Yoongi a step behind her.

 

“Hey, Youngji, Kihyun, how are you both?” Da Hee asked as she approached the pretty girl and her boyfriend. “We’re good.” Youngji said, a playful glint in her eye as she looked at Yoongi. “Da Hee, why didn’t you tell me you found a boyfriend? He's really handsome.” Da Hee spluttered at Youngji’s words while Yoongi’s faced turned a slight shade darker. “It’s not… I mean… we’re not… he's not my boyfriend!” she said throwing Youngji a desperate look. Youngji laughed, “Really? Because you two looked awfully cute out there chasing each other on the beach.” She teased.

 

Da Hee flushed at her words, “It’s not like that.” She said, quickly glancing at Yoongi. “He’s a friend.” She said. Yoongi nodded in their direction. “Yoongi.” He said, giving them a quick smile. They all exchanged greetings before Da Hee shooed Youngji away to go get changed into her first outfit. Kihyun followed after her, leaving Da Hee and Yoongi alone. “I’m sorry about that.” Da Hee said as she fidgeted with her camera. Yoongi chuckled and ruffled his hair. “Don’t worry about it.”

 

Youngji and Kihyun quickly came back and Da Hee whisked them off to start taking photos. Yoongi hung back a little, letting Kihyun help Da Hee when she needed it. It was obvious that he had done this before as he followed Da Hee’s instructions on how to move the reflector panel for each shot. His thoughts continually returning to Youngji’s words and how she had mistaken them as a couple. The more he thought about it, the more he realised that it would have been an easy mistake to make. If he had seen two people chasing each other around the beach like that, he would have assumed they were together as well. He watched Da Hee, that look of concentration on her face that matched the one he often wore, as she carefully adjusted Youngji’s poses and herself to catch the best shot.

 

They finally stopped to allow Youngji to change her outfit, Kihyun once again following her. Yoongi pulled a bottle of water out of the car and handed it to Da Hee. She gave him a grateful smile. “I swear she isn’t human. She doesn’t sweat.” She whined as she wiped away the sweat that was beading on her forehead. Yoongi chuckled in sympathy, he had only been standing watching her work and he was sweating, the hot, summer sun was out in the cloudless sky.

 

“I’m sure the photos will look amazing though.” He offered. She nodded as she finished the water. “Yeah, they look amazing.” She said, a note of pride in her voice. She leant against the car with a sigh, letting her eyes close. Yoongi noticed a bead of sweat on her temple, and without thinking, he pulled the sleeve of his t-shirt down to cover his hand and reached out and gently pressed the material against her temple. Her eyes flickered open, meeting his warm brown ones. His hand froze against her face. He didn’t know what had possessed him to reach out like that.

 

They stayed like that, Yoongi’s hand against her temple, their gazes locked until Youngji’s voice broke the moment. “I knew you two were dating!” she cried. The both of them jumped a little, Yoongi ripping his hand away from her and sticking it into his pocket. Da Hee cleared , “It’s not like that.” She said, her heart hammering in her chest. Youngji gave her a disbelieving look. “Okay, fine. Whatever you say.” She said as she held her hands up in defeat. Da Hee gave Yoongi a quick look, but he was looking out at the ocean. “Come on. We’re heading over there for the next part.” She said as she took them to the opposite side of the beach.

 

Yoongi watched the three of them go, his eyes stuck on Da Hee. He glanced down at the hand that had reached out to her. He couldn’t figure out why he had been so bold. Or why he was so frustrated with Youngji’s interruption. He sighed and let his hand drop back by his side, his eyes once again following Da Hee. He ruffled his hair in frustration. “Why am I feeling like this?” he said as he rubbed at his chest, trying to get rid of the unfamiliar feeling that had settled there.