Chapter 02

Thanks for the Memories

The next morning, Yoongi took his car to the garage. He waited in the small waiting room, a cup of brown water that the receptionist was trying to pass off as coffee in his hand. He took a sip of the muddy looking liquid before quickly putting the cup back down. The mechanic appeared sometime later and handed him a breakdown of the charges. “How can it be this much?” Yoongi asked, surprised by the figure on the paper. “Unfortunately, you need to get the lights replaced, it’s illegal to drive the car with them the way they are now, you're lucky you didn’t pass by any police cars on the way here. Plus, the style of bumper used in your car was changed the year after your car was manufactured, it’s gonna be difficult to find a replacement.”

 

Yoongi pinched the bridge of his nose as a headache started to form. He exhaled hard through his nose. “Can you start the repairs? I’ll get the money to you as soon as I can.” He asked. The mechanic nodded. “Can do. We have your number so we can keep you up to date with things.” Yoongi gave him a resigned nod. “Thanks.” He handed over his keys and left the garage, glaring at his damaged car as he passed by it. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and took a photo of the receipt and sent it to Da Hee without bothering to write an actual message to her. He figured that the photograph of the receipt would speak for itself. He sighed loudly, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

 

He started walking home, too frustrated to wait on a bus or a taxi as his phone started ringing from his pocket. He pulled it out and saw Da Hee’s name on the screen. “Hey.” He answered gruffly, half expecting her to be calling to bail out of paying for the damage after seeing the hefty mechanic’s bill. “Hey, it’s me. Da Hee.” She said. He grunted in response. “I got your photo of the receipt, it’s a bit more than I was expecting.” She admitted, guilt seeping into her voice. Yoongi’s brows furrowed as he waited at a crossing for the lights to change, ready to start arguing with her that she had promised to pay.

 

“Is there any way you could wait until the end of the month for me to send you the money? I just paid my rent last week so I don’t have enough to pay for your car just now.” He sighed loudly, his headache becoming more noticeable. He figured that waiting until the end of the month was better than her completely bailing out of paying. “Yeah, looks like I don’t have much of a choice.” He sighed as he crossed the street.

 

She hesitated a little before speaking again. “I’m so sorry. This is all my fault.” She said, the note of guilt still in her voice. “Did you have to leave your car at the garage?” she asked. He nodded even though she couldn’t see him. “Yeah. Apparently it’s illegal to drive because the lights are broken, but they can’t fix the lights until after the bumper gets fixed and they need to source it which could be a problem because of the make and model of the car.” He heard her curse quietly. “Look, I wasn’t expecting it to be as extreme as this, I feel like .” She said, Yoongi imagined she was pushing her hair back like he had seen her do the day before. “Do you have another way to get around? If not, I could pick you up and drop you off wherever you need to go.” She offered.

 

 

He cocked a brow at her words. “Don’t you have your own work to worry about?” he asked curiously. “I keep strange hours.” She replied. “I’m self-employed, so I keep my own hours. I can work my schedule around yours for the next couple of weeks.” She figured that since they visited the same hospital, there was a good chance that they didn’t live too far away from one another. Yoongi thought over her offer for a few minutes before finally answering. “Ok, deal.”

 

“Okay, that’s great!” He could almost hear her relief through the phone. “You can pick me up at ten tomorrow morning, I’ll text you my address.” He said. “Okay, no problem. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said brightly. “See you tomorrow.”

 

 

 

The next morning, Da Hee arrived outside of his apartment at exactly ten am. She looked up at the building, “This place is really nice.” She mumbled to herself as she sent Yoongi a text to let him know she was waiting outside. She spotted him a few minutes later, her jaw almost dropping when she saw him. He was wearing a simple pair of ripped jeans, a plain white t-shirt covered with a leather jacket and a black cap over his light brown hair, but she thought that he looked like a model. He got into the car, nodding his head in her direction as if he was completely unaware of how stunning he was. “Morning.” He mumbled, his eyes still half closed. “Morning.” She said as she quickly put the car into gear and joined the flow of traffic, not wanting to be caught staring at the handsome man beside her.

 

When the accident had happened, she had been so flustered that she hadn’t been able to notice just how handsome Yoongi was. But as she drove, she couldn’t help but steal glances at him out of the corner of her eye. She could just see some of his still damp, light brown hair poking out from underneath his hat. Her fingers itched to reach out and see if his hair was as soft as it looked.

 

They drove in silence for a few minutes before Yoongi spoke, startling her out of her musings about his hair. “Hey, there's a little coffee place not too far up the road, mind if we stop in there?” he asked. She shook her head, “No, it’s no problem.” She replied as she looked around for the coffee shop. When she pulled up outside, he unbuckled his seatbelt before turning to her. “Want anything?” he asked. She shook her head, “No, I’m good thanks.” He got out of the car and headed into the coffee shop. She watched him through the window, noticing the way that almost all of the female customers, and even a few of the male customers looked at him.

 

He was just so effortlessly attractive, but he seemed to be blind to it. He didn’t seem to notice that half the occupants of the café were staring at him, one of the customers even took a photo of him as if he was a celebrity. He emerged from the café and slid into his seat, sipping on his coffee. He dropped a wad of napkins onto his leg, she noticed that the top one had a phone number scrawled onto it. “Looks like you're quite popular with the ladies.” She said as she once again pulled into the flow of morning traffic. Yoongi gave her a confused look, “Huh?”

 

She giggled and pointed at the napkin on his leg. “All you had to do was stand there and you got a phone number.” Yoongi picked up the napkin and rolled his eyes. He put down the window and threw the napkin out of it before putting the window back up. She didn’t comment on his actions as she continued to drive, but she couldn’t hide the smile that played on the corner of her lips.

 

She followed the sat nav’s directions and finally pulled in in front of a tall building. Her jaw dropped when she read the name on the front of the building. “Monster Records? You work at Monster Records?” she asked incredulously. He nodded, “Yeah. I’m a composer and producer here.” He shrugged as if it was no big deal. “Oh my god, this is so cool! I had no idea you were a producer and a composer! I am so impressed right now.” She turned to face him, a wide smile on her face.

 

A tiny, proud grin made its way onto Yoongi’s face. “It’s not like it’s a big deal or anything.” He said modestly. “Are you kidding? It must be amazing hearing your music come to life.” She said as she looked back out at the building next to them. Yoongi’s grin grew a little, a feeling of pride washing through him. “It does feel amazing.” He admitted. “Well, I’ll call you later when I’m going home. If I’m going to be too late I’ll call you and let you know, ok?” he said as he unbuckled his seat belt. “Just call even if you're late. I keep weird hours as well remember.” She said with a warm smile.

 

He nodded and slipped out of the car, throwing her a quick wave as he made his way into the building, the security guards all greeting him as he walked by them. He made his way to his studio on the top floor, greeting all his friends and colleagues on the way. He sat in his plush, leather chair as he waited for his computer and equipment to boot up as he sipped on his coffee. He smiled to himself as he thought about Da Hee’s words. He'd never really considered how glamorous his job probably seemed to other people. For him, it was a passion and was completely normal.

 

His eyes landed on a stack of post it notes on the corner of his table. He pulled them closer and grabbed one of the many pens from the pile on the table. He tapped the pen against his lip for a minute before finally writing.

 

I have an awesome job…

 

He looked down at the note, a small chuckle making its way out of his mouth. “Looks like I have the first entry for my memory jar.”