Chapter 2| Second chances

The Fault of Perfection | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the first week, it was clear that Chaeyoung was as weak as she appeared. She came last in every round of the obstacle course and struggled with almost every physical exercise Sehun gave them. 

Sehun watched apathetically as she lagged behind the rest of the class in their morning 2-kilometre jog, trudging along the track slowly with her head down and chest heaving. He then turned his head to the rest of the trainees, who were all at least 50 metres ahead of her. He sighed. 

"I feel kinda sorry for her," Chanyeol commented, watching Chaeyoung with a curious interest in his eyes. "But you have to admit, she's quite impressive."

Sehun raised an eyebrow at his cousin, disbelief clear in his eyes. "Did you just call her impressive?" he scoffed. 

Chanyeol bobbed his head and Sehun realised he was being genuine. "Not once have I seen her give up or complain, or even look remotely like she wanted to stop. And on kitchen duty, she's always the one volunteering to clean up and helping out the most. She's really taking the 'challenging herself' to the max."

Sehun still wasn't convinced. "That does not make her 'impressive'. Her physical strength and stamina are pathetic - it doesn't matter how hardworking she is, if she doesn't pick up her game, she's going to get kicked out. She's obviously not fit for the army." Pausing for a second, he added on as an afterthought, "I mean, can you even imagine her with a machine gun in her hands, fighting an enemy to the death? She looks like one of those girls who faint at the sight of blood."

Chanyeol gave him a look. "I think you're being a bit harsh. You shouldn't judge character based on appearances and physical strength, you know."

Sehun raised an eyebrow. "And since when did you invest such an interest in her?"

"Since never!" Chanyeol raised his hands in a gesture of surrender. "I just think you're being a bit harsh is all. You should give her some time. I'm sure she'll surprise you somehow." His grin caused Sehun to roll his eyes. Never in his life would he ever understand the inner workings of his cousin. 

**

But despite Chanyeol's best intentions, Sehun still couldn't see Chaeyoung as anything but weak. A few days later, as he was writing up a report on the recruits' progress in his office, he paused. Making a quick decision, he called for his assistant. Recruits of the class were randomly assigned as Sehun's assistant - for better or for worse. Sehun was harsh and hard to please, so most recruits dreaded being assigned to the said position. 

"You called, sir?" Wen Junhui knocked on the door. 

"I want you to get Park Chaeyoung from your trainee class," he ordered. "And tell her to come here. I need to speak with her."

"P-Park Chaeyoung, sir?" Jun looked confused. 

"Yes, her," Sehun said impatiently. "Would you have any idea as to where she is now?"

Jun blinked, checking his watch. "I-I'd say she's at dinner...?"

"Then go get her. I don't care if she's in the middle of her meal. Tell her to come here."

"Y-Yes, sir!"

Jun speed-walked out of the room, eager to get away from the grumpy and not-so-pleasant captain. Sehun waited impatiently, eyes scanning through a report while he waited. Finally, after exactly 13 minutes and 26 seconds, Jun burst through the door, a confused looking Chaeyoung behind him. 

"Sir-"

"Took you long enough," Sehun spoke, not looking up from his report. His face was set in a stony, displeased expression when he finally glanced up, eyebrows furrowing. "Be quicker next time. I don't have time to waste."

"U-Understood sir-"

"Good. Now get out."

Jun gulped. "Y-Yes, sir."

During this exchange, Chaeyoung watched curiously. She'd been on her way to the mess hall when Jun suddenly caught up to her, telling her to come to Captain Oh's office. The poor boy had seemed terribly flustered, and she could now see why. Sehun really was ruthless in attitude. 

Once Jun left, closing the door with an audible thud in his haste,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter