Chapter 10| Stay

The Fault of Perfection | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WARNING: There's gonna be a bit of death and gore and warfare mentioned here, so if you're uncomfortable with that, you don't have to read it. It's not anything extreme though. There's even a bit of fluff afterwards to make up for it:)

8 Years Ago:

It was Sehun's first field mission out of Korea. And it couldn't have gotten worse. 

The enemy was overrunning their camp. It was a mess - soldiers were screaming, dying all around him. The air smelt of blood and gunpowder. Sehun grit his teeth, trying his best to fight back. He had his rifle in hand, shooting enemy after enemy, but with every soldier that went down, another took his place. 

It was a nightmare.

Suddenly, he felt a stinging line across his thigh. Looking down, he cursed as he realised a bullet had grazed his leg. He was lucky in the fact that the bullet hadn't hit him fully, but even now he could feel the warm blood soaking his uniform. It stung and throbbed as he stood up, finally giving up and retreating. But as he tried to take a step, he stumbled. 

The injury was worse than he thought. 

Starting to panic, he glanced back, gritting his teeth in pain. None of the enemy soldiers seemed to have noticed him yet-

A harsh force knocked into his side. He caught a glimpse of blue and his heart skipped in horror. His training kicked in and he kicked his enemy off him, his fear blocking out the pain momentarily. Breathing ragged, he rolled to his side and grabbed the weapon he'd dropped. But before he was able to do anything, he felt another soldier coming from behind and dodged to the side just in time for a wicked silver army knife to pierce the air, right where his neck had been a few seconds ago. 

Wasting no time, Sehun knocked the soldier behind him to the floor, slamming the of his weapon into the man's gut. Whirling around, he managed to intercept the first soldier's blow and pushed him back, but by now his leg was beginning to cause him trouble again. He was losing a lot of blood, particularly from the adrenalin in his veins that was causing his blood pressure to be a lot higher than normal. 

He stumbled and the first soldier took advantage of that. Suddenly, he felt pain exploding on the side of his head as the enemy soldier struck him with his gun. Stars dotted his vision as he grit his teeth and dodged just in time for the second blow. But he was fighting a losing battle and he knew that. His rifle was gone - he'd dropped it when he'd stumbled and he didn't have enough time to retrieve it. 

It seemed like the other soldier knew it too, because he had a victorious sneer on his face as he raised his weapon for the third and final time. Sehun didn't have the time to dodge another time. Grimly, he realised that his first mission was also going to be his last.

'Military prodigy my ...'

And then the soldier in front of him stumbled, face paling in shock. Sehun blinked rapidly as slowly, the man collapsed. Behind him stood a soldier he'd never seen before with his gun raised, but as he noticed the red band around the man's uniform, he breathed out in relief. 

"You alright?" The man asked grimly, hurrying over. His face was covered in dirt and grime, but Sehun couldn't imagine his own appearance was any tidier. Still, he realised, the man who'd just saved his life was incredibly young - almost the same age as himself (if not a bit older), with kind brown eyes and strong, handsome features. 

"Yeah. Thanks for that," he replied, panting slightly and wincing as his leg throbbed. "But I've got a graze on my left thigh, and maybe a minor concussion." As he spoke, a wave of dizziness washed over him. 

"Can you walk? We need to get out of here," he supported Sehun's shoulders as the two hurried towards a safer area. The fighting was slowly fading, with their side slowly retaliating and the enemy eventually retreating from the camp. 

Finally, they reached the large white tent, with the familiar red cross on the front - the universal symbol for medical aid and safety.

A while later, Sehun's wound was cleaned and bandaged, and he now sat in one of the hospital wards, the man who'd saved him sitting in the chair next to him. 

"So I never caught your name," the man asked. He'd taken a chance to wash up, now revealing clean, youthful features and bright, twinkling eyes - an odd sight in the middle of a war zone.

"I'm Sehun," he stuck out his hand for the other guy to shake. "Oh Sehun."

"Ah, so you're the famous military prodigy everyone talks about, huh?" the man grinned easily. "No wonder you were able to last so long against those two soldiers. I saw the symbol on their armbands. They were part of the specialised unit."

Sehun shrugged. The effect of his reputation within the military made him feel uncomfortable sometimes, but he'd learnt early on how to deal with it. Besides, this man didn't seem particularly fazed or awed by Sehun either way, which he found oddly comforting. "I didn't notice. I was too busy trying to save my own ."

The man chuckled. "Fair."

Sehun eyed him carefully. "And what's your name?"

"I'm Park Jihyun, at your service," he saluted playfully, eyes twinkling. It amazed Sehun that he was able to smile so brightly in such a situation. "From unit 36. This is my first mission, actually."

Sehun nodded. "Me too."

"Oh really? I guess that makes us amateur buddies!" Jihyun grinned. "So you got anyone special waiting for you at home?" The suggestive wiggle of his eyebrows caused Sehun's own to furrow. 

 

 

"What? No." Sehun couldn't help wrinkle his nose. "I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter