Things change

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You’re home, Minky.”

Little Minkyung didn’t notice the uneasiness in her mother’s eyes. She jumped off the car and ran into the house, looking at the decorations with curiosity and excitement.

“Is daddy having a banquet again?”

“…Yes.”

Mrs. Kim forced a smile. “Before we take you to dress, can you promise mommy one thing?”

“Of course!”

Minkyung answered without a second thought, orbs gleaming and lips tugging into a big smile. How could she not be happy? A banquet meant so many delicious food and snacks, colorful confetti and balloons, it was like in amusement park though she had to wear clothes which did not allow her to run and jump around. But still, she loved it because her father would be home all night, he was always out somewhere and seldom at home with her and her mom. It was a rare time the three of them could stay together and if she behaved, that was what she believed, daddy would carry her in his arms or let her sit on his shoulders. It had been a very long while since he last did so.

“Promise mommy…” Mrs. Kim bit her lip. “You will stay in your room and read your books. Don’t come out unless mommy or daddy tells you to.”

“Why?”

Her mother looked away. “Be good, Minkyung. Mommy will come and check on you per hour, or maybe…I’ll stay here with you so you won’t get bored.”

“Why can’t I be there, mommy? Why mommy doesn’t go either?”

“I’ll go get your favorite chocolate. You can eat here.”

“But mommy, I want to go out, I want to be with daddy…”

“Just do as I said! Why you won’t stop asking?” Mrs. Kim raised her voice abruptly and caused Minkyung to wince and cry out of fear.

She did not get to leave her room that night because the door was locked. She did not talk to her mom and refused to eat the snacks she brought in for her. She could hear the talking and laughing in the living room, she even heard her father passed by her room several times, but he never bothered to come inside and check on her.

The next day, and the following days, Minkyung waited for an answer but nobody gave her. Her mom avoided talking to her, her dad avoided seeing her. He stopped looking at her or carried her ever since then, or that was when Minkyung finally started to realize.

                                                                          

                                                                         ###

“You’re home, Minky.”

Minkyung knew something was wrong when meeting her mother’s eyes. She dropped her school bag on her desk and looked at the room on the second floor. It did not take her long to realize what was going on.

“No, no, don’t…”

“Let go of me.”

She waved her mother’s hand off and started walking up the stairs, irises chilling, jaw clenching. He was going too far but no one dared to remind or warn him. Good, then she had to be the one to do this damn thing.

“Minkyung, please.”

She felt a knot in when her mom gripped her hand tightly. “You can’t do anything. Neither can I. Let it go.”

“No.” Minkyung refused to give in. Those bastards dared to ignore and insult them just because they always gave in. She treaded two more steps upward and “click”, the wooden door was pushed open, revealing a woman she had never seen before.

“Why is it so loud?”

The woman saw them and quirked her brow, didn’t seem to care or feel ashamed wearing only a plus-size shirt. It was her father’s shirt, Minkyung recognized it right away.

“Minkyung, let’s go downstairs…”

“I don’t know who you are, but this is my home.” Minkyung’s dark stare locked on her face. “Our home. Get out of here now.”

The woman sneered and stepped closer, the smell on her was a mix of her perfume and her father’s cologne.

“This is your father’s house, young lady, not yours. And…” She pulled the collar down a little, the marks on her neck made Minkyung almost want to strangle her. “It was your daddy who invited me in. You can ask your mom about that.”

As soon as her words finished, the door behind her opened wider and Mr. Kim walked out. He had his bath robe on, the hair on his chest was messy and his skin flushed red. He didn’t even bother to wipe the sweat on his forehead.

“…Minkyung.”

He took out some money from his wallet and handed to her. “Go and have dinner with your mother. You can try that…newly opened French restaurant. These should be enough.”

“Great, kicking us out. What a good excuse you’re using.”

“Watch your manner Kim Min…”

“Manner? You dare to say that in front of me!?” Minkyung could feel her blood boil inside her body. “And what are you gonna do when we’re not home? Keep messing with that…Oh, maybe messing with more other ?”

“How dare you you little…”

The woman raised her hand but Mr. Kim stopped her. Mrs. Kim also pulled Minkyung backward, not wanting her daughter to be hurt physically.

“That’s enough, Minkyung, you know I’m being nice and patient to you.” He tapped the banknotes between his fingers. “Is this not enough? Fine, I can give you my credit card, you can go shopping and get yourself new…”

He was interrupted when Minkyung smacked his hand, making the money fly and scatter on the carpet.

Just like those past good memories.

Within the years passed, Minkyung has grown older and more mature, she learns. Men who are surrounded by wealth and power change quickly and easily, her father is also one of them. She never doubted why he never introduced her to his friends or clients, she understands now. She questioned her mom many times about why she always looked sad when dad was talking and smiling to other women, she understands now.

Her father had lost interest in her mother many years ago, perhaps since she was a baby, but he tried not to show it too much because he still had interest in his daughter and he didn’t want to leave the public a bad image. These years, he got tired in pretending that he still cares for them and has gained more wealth and power, he has the ability to affect enterprisers’ businesses and politicians’ reputations, everyone starts to act blind and deaf about his personal life and only flatter him with their detestable grins.

Her mom was too weak to do anything. She could prevent her from seeing her father flirting with other women at her own house, but she couldn’t hide the reality from her forever. From age 10 to 16, Minkyung turned from pure and puzzled to fully learn what is fake and hate.

                       

                                                                             ###

Living on her own felt free, but also lonely. Every day Minkyung came back from college or her part time jobs with an exhausted body and mind, the only thing welcomed her behind her apartment door was empty. Sometimes it was the moonlight along with emptiness, sometimes it was the daybreak. But at least, that was what Minkyung felt relived the most—she could do what she had determined to do without fetters.

Her father had been sending her money

Please log in to read the full chapter