Blind

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Why are you here alone?”

Little Kyungwon looked up, a girl about her age was standing in front of her. “Don’t sit on the floor! My daddy says only misbehaving kids sit wherever they want.”

Kyungwon scuffed slightly. “Misbehaving kids? You mean those who are gathering over there,” She eyed the round table at the other side of the hall. “Whose parents claim only upper class heirs can sit with them? I’m not interested in bragging about how much money my dad makes or how many LV purses my mom has.”

She stood up and walked past the girl, but she stopped when feeling a tug on her shirt.

“Where are you going?”

“Look for my dad and tell him I’m sick and please drive me back.”

“You’re sick?”

“Yes.” Kyungwon paced forward but the girl kept following. “Sick of the people here.”

“You can come and play with me!”

“…Huh?” Kyungwon thought she must have heard it wrong but when she turned, the girl’s eyes were glittering with excitement and expectation.

“I said, play with me! Don’t go home!”

She has beautiful eyes. The girl was in a white dress and her hair was braided nicely, and along with that bright smile, Kyungwon couldn’t help but think of the fairy tales her mom used to read her. There was always an angel, mom told her angels are beautiful and kind-hearted and they will listen to good people’s wish. Perhaps listen really means nothing but listen, because Kyungwon had wished hundred times for her mom to recover from illness, she still left her.

“Um…Why are you not with them?” She looked at the girl with suspicion. “Aren’t you…the daughter of the owner of this mansion?”

“Yes, so?” There was a trace of depression in her eyes. “Daddy only talks to his guests, he said he would punish me if I talk to him without his permission.”

“…What?”

What kind of father is this?

“It happens. Everyone ignores me and I can’t find my mommy. I don’t know what is wrong.”

Kyungwon didn’t realize her sight just softened. “So you want me to…accompany you?”

The girl nodded, vigorously.

“Why?”

“You are the only one talk to me tonight...” She mumbled, and Kyungwon knew she wouldn’t be able to resist anymore.

“What do you want to do then?”

The girl’s face lit up by joy. “A lot! But let’s go to my room first!” She grabbed her hand and the two of them ran up the stairs. “I’m Minkyung, you can call me Minky!”

“K-Kyungwon. My name’s Kyungwon.”

She remembered the warmth on Minkyung’s palm. She remembered how their hands held tightly and how their fingers intertwined. She remembered her heart missed more than one beat when Minkyung looked back at her with her eyes and big smile.

It was supposed to be her father’s business trip and she had to tag along because no relatives could take care of her, but it turned out to be the best week she had in her childhood.

They were both 10 that year. Kyungwon wasn’t sure if Minkyung still remembered, but she herself kept this memory and Minkyung in her mind for more than one decade.

                      ###

So how can she be blamed for acting recklessly? How the hell can she accept that beautiful kind-hearted girl she admires for so many years had turned herself into a cold ruthless……

“If you think I’m a criminal,” Minkyung says, her voice is calm and chilly. “We’re done talking. You are a cop’s daughter, we are enemies forever.”

She stands up from the bench and turns to the path on the right side, but she is soon chased up by a series of rapid footsteps.

“I never said you are a criminal.” Kyungwon looks straightly into her eyes. “And no. We’re NOT done here.”

Minkyung steps back. “Then what is that about?”

“What is what about?”

She also stares back. “The criticisms written all over your face. You think I can’t see it?”

“I’m not judging you! Am I this kind of sarcastic person to you? God, Minky, how could you not…”

Minkyung shivers and Kyungwon halts in realization. She called her Minky, so instinctive and without any hesitation, just like that week when she would sneak in her room and they would spend the whole afternoon with each other, until Kyungwon had to leave because Minkyung’s father was about to be home.

Kyungwonnie, let’s play!

Hey, wait for me, Minky!

…You will come back right, Kyungwonnie?

…Minky, I promise.

“Don’t call me that.”

Minky’s dead. It’s just Kim Minkyung, a desperado with no ties now.

“I-I’m sorry, I wasn’t…”

“I’m not like you.”

Minkyung avoids Kyungwon’s sight. “Things changed, the world changed, I moved on. It’s none of my business that you are still stuck in the past and in your fantasy bubble.”

Kyungwon freezes, Minkyung’s not sure if it’s because of surprise or hurt, or maybe both. She doesn’t want to admit she feels guilty seeing Kyungwon like this, she lowers her head but before she steps out, Kyungwon moves first. She scampers past her, her shoulder slightly bumps onto hers. Minkyung watches her run out of the park without further words nor a turn, she bites her lip, swallowing back the bitterness and walks down to the opposite direction.

This is their fate. Once crossed but as time goes by, they are doomed to be farther and farther. Why? Because everything changed.

                        ###

“Hey Minkyung.” A head pokes out from behind the soundproof door. It’s Joshua, her colleague in the studio who also teaches guitar. “Wanna come and grab a drink with us? It’s Friday night, everybody’s coming.”

“Thanks, but…” Minkyung smiles apologetically. “Maybe next time. I’m a bit tired.”

“Oh c’mon, we are all expecting you!” Joshua pushes the door wider. “It’s a stressful month and we finally got time to relax and party! Seungcheol even made a block booking, only we guys and his friends will be there. First round’s on me, you sure you don’t wanna come? Please?”

He’s full of excitement and enthusiasm, it would be disappointed if she says no. Plus, the people in this studio are mostly around her age and they are all nice... “Ok. I’ll go.”

“Great!” Joshua grins. “You can come outside now if you’re ready! Wonwoo’s at the parking lot, he’ll give us a ride.”

“Sure.”

The ride to the bar is quick and full of bickers and laughing. Sometimes Minkyung would think if she didn’t get herself into the chaos, perhaps she could be one of them, complaining about works and hanging out on weekends, just being a simple person and lives a simple life.

The DJ’s mixing the newly hottest songs, the air in the bar heats up and everyone starts to revel and overindulge. Minkyung sits alone at a corner table, a goblet of whiskey in her fingers while looking at her colleagues in the dance floor. She’s really not in the mood of dancing so they didn’t force her either. She only wants to focus on the alcohol she’s currently sipping so she won’t end up being carried home by others.

“Pretty ladies should always have company.”

Minkyung tears her gaze from the goblet, a tall and tanned guy is stand

Please log in to read the full chapter