From now on

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

Things can change very fast. Sometimes they even change to a state beyond people’s lifelong imagination.

That’s what Minkyung has been feeling for the entire month.

“After summoned a week ago, the DA has officially taken Senator Son Hanmin under custody. Evidences were proved and witnesses’ testimonies have been clarified, being prosecuted on multiple chargers seems to be the fate that this once famous and highly-respected politician can’t possibly escape…”

“Earlier this morning, patrols intercepted Park Taejun, CEO of KRC Broadcasting System, at the border, with ₩500,000,000 cash in his back seat. He claimed he knew nothing and everything he did was requested by former Seoul PD Chief Song Jungki…”

“According to the authority, the turning point on these human trafficking and smuggling was their lawyer, last name Kim, decided to turn against his clients…Did he do this because there was no way out so he tried to commute his sentences? Or because he was tired of working as an accomplice and wanted the spotlights to focus only him?”

“From the financial records this lawyer revealed, money laundering and taxes evasion came one after another, the public has been gathering in front of the high court, claiming that the justice cannot be neglected…”

A hand rests on her shoulder and Minkyung doesn’t have to turn to know who it is. She picks up the remote and turns off the TV, giving Kyungwon a weak smile when she sits down beside her.

“Don’t do that.”

“Do what?”

“Faking. Making me believe you’re alright.”

“I am alright. I’m just…”

“Bothered?”

“…Kind of.”

Kyungwon reaches out one hand and caresses her cheek, carefully not to touch the small bruise that hasn’t faded away.

“I know how you’re feeling, Minky.”

“You always do.”

“And it’s ok if you want a meetup.”

Minkyung lowers her head in silence. It is not an easy decision to make.

“You have words left unspoken…and he’s probably the same. You’re not seeing him because you own him anything, it’s to give your heart a closure.” Kyungwon says gently. “Isn’t that what you always want?”

“You…” Minkyung hesitates though the answer is quite obvious. “You’ll go with me?”

“Even if you ask me not to.”

                          ###

“I’ve heard. From a guard I helped before.”

The man sitting at the opposite side says with a weary smile. “Two of them are life sentences, two of them are twenty-five years imprisonment and without parole. It’s over, they’re gone.” He shakes his head. “I still can’t believe Kang Jihyuk’s deputy worked for Song Jungki. I hate to say so but…he’s actually good, considering him kept leaking news without being found…Well, not anymore. He would be lock up for at least five years, I guess.”

He is talking clearly but it somehow sounds like gibberish. Minkyung takes a deep breath, trying to ignore the other two meetings on the tables beside her and the sights of the guards around.

“Chief Kang told me…it was one of Song Jungki’s maids who hacked in his computer and blackmailed him.”

“Yes. He thought he put a rat in the station, he forgot one could be raised in his own house too.”

“Did you know it? That it was an insider?”

“…No. Not before I was put in here.” Kim Woohyun looks at his daughter, his eyes stop flickering around. “If I…If we had known it, if we had not mistaken it was you…He wouldn’t have threatened me to bring you to him.”

“That doesn’t change anything.” Minkyung pinches her fingertip, afraid to recall that day in that residence.

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Why did you call the cops?”

Kim Woohyun blinks like he’s taken aback by this question. His reaction sends Minkyung uneasiness, like she just offended him but hell, who wouldn’t ask this if they were in her shoes. Plus, he has no right to feel offended.

“You were…hurting.”

Kim Woohyun’s voice becomes faint. “You thought I was gonna…turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to you?”

Minkyung sneers bitterly. “Haven’t you done that a lot?”

“I was…I am a lousy father and a lousy husband,” His face flushes because of guilt trip and desperation. “But I’m not a monster, not like them. I know you won’t believe this, and I did hurt you too much already…but that day was different.”

Memories begin to flood his mind, he’s not sure if he should let it out, but in the end he does.

“That once, I took you to the local park on a snowing day when your mom was sick…You remember, right? I’m sure you do, after all…It was the few times I took you out.”

Here comes another knot in Minkyung’s heart she’s been carrying in these weeks.

“You know…I didn’t lose my memories.”

Kim Woohyun tenses, aware it is a statement instead of a question.

“How did you find out? Did Doctor Yoo tell you about it?”

“Like I said, I may be a bad father, but I’m still your father. You have my eyes.” Minkyung winces lightly. “And I know how those eyes look like when the owner is hiding things…and painful.”

“You never confronted me, not even when we were alone. Why?”

“What’s the use of it? Besides, it made me feel easier. I could pretend nothing actually happened and your trauma didn’t exist, I could move on without facing my guilt…even if we all know it’s not true. Anyway, where were we? Ah, right, the park.”

He rubs his palms together and looks down on the table, and Minkyung sees the several strands of hoary hair on his crown.

“You wanted to climb up the tallest tree there to get that ball stuck in between the branches. But you slipped and hung on the branch almost upside do

Please log in to read the full chapter