What I’ve done

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Just…give it to me you dumb .”

Kyungwon rolls her eyes and snatches the tool from Eunwoo’s hand. “Why would I think letting you help is a good idea…”

“Hey, at least I chose the prettiest and the easiest one for you!” Eunwoo pouts. “Who was the one lingering in front of the shelves and murmuring ‘ah it’s so damn difficult oh I’ll never make it’…”

“Fine, fine, you helped, ok?”

Kyungwon sighs. “Kyulkyung’s only left for like 20 minutes and I’m already missing her.”

The three are currently in a shopping mall—The Christmas is in two weeks, they decide to throw a small party for close friends only and exchange some gifts. And of course, Kyungwon wants to prepare something special for Minkyung, the idea of designing a ring has been in her mind for a while so it’s the perfect timing to make it happen.

“Seriously, why don’t you go and find Kyulkyung?” Kyungwon asks, eyes focus on the half-done ring. “I bet she’ll buy a lot, she’ll need you to carry those bags for her.”

“I bet she’s picking my Christmas present right now.” Eunwoo grins like an idiot. “She won’t like if I show up and ruin the surprise.”

“Geez, you two…”

Kyungwon wants to complain but ends up smiling. After all, she always thinks they are cute.

This is the Christmas she’s been picturing, this is the Christmas she can spend without envy at other love birds (especially these two), this is the Christmas that Minkyung will be with her. Kyungwon knows she probably spent every Christmas, perhaps also every other holiday alone for the past few years, so it’s important for her to make it up to Minkyung and also make her feel at home.

Two weeks later, it’s 12/24, Christmas Eve. With the invitation of Kyulkyung’s college junior, a puppy-like girl named Yewon, the group of noisy girls arrive at her house, each brings one meal they prepared for everyone.

“Holy, you made this?”

A petite girl named Yebin rushes over and points at the pasta Kyungwon and Minkyung brought.

“Yes. Does it surprise you, smol?”

“I don’t believe you.” Yebin glares at Kyungwon. “I think Minkyung made it and you only helped by stayed away from the kitchen.”

“Yah you little…”

Some girls laugh seeing them chasing each other in the house, some girls just roll their eyes and continue to bring the dishes to the dining table.

“Hey, where are the forks? I remember I bought new ones and put them here…”

“They are in the cabinet above you, idiot.”

“Don’t call me that!”

“Idiot!”

The party is amazing with the feast, bickering and laughing—and also alcohol. At first, some of the girls still try to remind the others not to drink too much, but after the dinner and the play time comes, nothing is able to stop them.

“Ok, truth or drink.”

Sungyeon moves closer to Yewon. “When did you first realize that you have a crush on me?”

Yewon’s cheeks turn red right off. “What kind of question is that?”

“Either answer or drink!” The others exclaim enthusiastically, “Come on, Yewonnie, you know what we prefer!”

“It’s…I…” Poor Yewon wishes she could sink into the floor. “9th grade…”

“Oh my, this is way earlier than I expected!” Eunwoo seems to be more excited than Sungyeon. “Did she do anything made you heart flutter? Was it the way she sang? Or when she composed?”

“Ahem.” Nayoung throws an arm over the whining girl’s shoulders, defending her. “That’s another question. You’ll have to wait when it’s your turn.”

Kyungwon senses a mischievous sight and glances to her left. Her eyes meet with Siyeon’s, Kyungwon sighs mentally, knowing it can’t be good.

“My turn now, right?”

Siyeon makes sure before giving her an evil smile. “Is there anyone you liked or dated before Minkyung unnie?”

Ok…This is not as bad as she imagines. Kyungwon looks at the girl on her right, Minkyung quirks her brows with much interests on this question, but she’s also smiling, without any unpleasantness or jealousy.

“We actually met when we were kids.” Other girls are surprised by her words. “I’ve liked her since then. Well, we separated for a long while and there were some guys and girls around me at that time for sure but…Minkyung has always been the only one to me.” Kyungwon squeezes her hand. “And I’m so happy we are together now.”

Minkyung blushes, feeling a trace of warmth stream her heart. She leans forward and kisses Kyungwon on the cheek, earning a series of “awww” and “ewww” from the girls.

“You are so cute…”

“Yah, get a room!”

They continue drinking, yelling and playing different and stupid games, the soju bottles are everywhere, any tiny things are able to make them laugh like maniacs. Everyone is having fun and almost everyone is drunk, no one notices the time until it has passed midnight.

“You sure you guys will be ok?”

“Of course…You should worry for those two, they can’t even walk in straight line…”

“Neither can you, . Shut up and get in the cab.”

Back to Minkyung’s apartment, Kyungwon tosses herself on the bed, feeling the exhaustion crawl up her body but the satisfaction deep down still makes her smile. This is no doubt the best Christmas Eve she ever has.

“You look happy.”

Minkyung sits down beside her, one hand supporting on the mattress and the other reaches out to hold hers.

“What about you?” Kyungwon tilts her head slightly. “Are you happy?”

“I am.” Minkyung says earnestly. “Thank you for taking me to the party. The girls are all amazing people, I’m glad I got the chance to be friends with them.”

Kyungwon stretches out her arm, Minkyung gets the hint and lies down close to her, her head rests on her chest and hears the steady heartbeats.

The silence in the room is comfortable because it marks the small but safe world that belongs to no other but them. Minkyung snuggles further to Kyungwon, her lips tug up as the past comes up in her mind.

“You know, when I was in boarding school, I looked forward to but also scared of Christmas. Every student was expecting, everyone had visitors during the week...My mom would come too.”

Kyungwon wraps her arms around Minkyung, assuring that she’s here with her. “The principal, Mr. Han, he loved to hold events for students to celebrate with their parents. Mom and I only attended the first two years because…people loved to gossip. I could hear them talking behind my back.”

“They knew nothing.”

“No, they didn’t…All they saw was a mom came alone without a dad, and the mom’s mental state was shaky like a rolling rock on the edge of the cliff. Anybody came near her or any loud noises could make her jolt up in alert and terror.”

Minkyung smiles with bitterness. “I missed her, I wanted to see her, it was the only time I could meet her in a year but every time she came, her condition was worse than the last year. She never forgot to bring me new clothes and small gifts though. We would stay in my room, just the two of us, no one judged anything, and having a meal which contained my favorites. That’s one of the best memories I have.”

Minkyung moves her head up a bit, Kyungwon can feel her breaths under her chin. “Whenever we ate, I always put an empty chair or a cushion next to me.”

“What was that for?”

“Mom asked me the same too, but I never told her the real reason. It was for you, Kyungwon.”

Hearing those words, Kyungwon looks down at her with surprise. “For me?”

“Yeah. I wanted my two most important people to be with me on Christmas but it was impossible at that time, it’s a little childish but…I still wanted to. So I always left a seat, pretending you were also there.”

“Well…I’m here now, and you know I’ll never walk away. I’m sorry you can’t have all three of us…”

“It’s ok.” Minkyung smiles and gazes into her eyes. “Mom’s gone but you are back…and you found me. I can’t ask for more, this is more than enough for me.”

It’s not like Kyungwon has never been in love, she’s in love with Minkyung for years, but she never feels so deeply inside the affection swirl. She places her palm on Minkyung’s cheek, their lips meet without a millisecond of hesitation.

The air is cold but their bodies are warm, and the kiss is heating little by little. Slowly, Minkyung’s fingers sneak through Kyungwon’s shoulder-length hair, the soft touch makes Kyungwon tremble slightly, she deepens the kiss, the urge of locking Minkyung, engulfing her till they melt into one keeps growing stronger.

Minkyung feels her arms tighten around her and her kiss become possessive, she gasps with nervousness, but she doesn’t feel scared or uncomfortable at all. Before she’s aware, their position change and she’s now lying on the bed, with Kyungwon half topping but not putting all her bodyweight on her.

Their lips crash onto each other’s again. This time is more passionate, but shorter, because Kyungwon senses something and pulls away.

“We drank soju…not spirits.”

“I know.”

She leans their forehead together. “I’m not very drunk, Minky.”

“…Me either.”

“I think…I know exactly what I’m doing and what I desire.”

“Me too.”

Minkyung gulps. “Kyungwon…” The way she whispers her name is already sending electricity down her spine. “If you’re ready…I’m ready.”

“Are you sure?”

“Y-Yes.”

“You’re gripping my shirt.”

Minkyung looks down and sees her hand clenchi

Please log in to read the full chapter