New

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Are you still awake?”

Minkyung whispers and hears a hum from behind.

“Can’t sleep? Are you cold?”

“Nah. I’m just recalling today…and thinking how we ended up in this kind of position.”

Minkyung’s glad that Kyungwon can’t see her blush. Honestly, she doesn’t know either, it just happened.

First it was Minkyung asked her not to sleep on the floor but shared the bed with her, then Kyungwon reached for her hand and gripped, and…it turned out to be cuddle. Minkyung’s lying on her right side, blanket covers her body, one hand sticking under the pillow and the other holding onto a hand that is circling her waist. Kyungwon also lies on her right side, knees slightly bend up, hugging Minkyung from behind, inhaling the scent of shampoo from her long silky hair.

It doesn’t feel awkward. It feels safe, warm…and comforted.

“Why you didn’t tell me who you are when we met outside the coffee shop?”

Kyungwon recalls roughly. “I’m not sure. I mean, you acted like a sociopath back then, you didn’t want to have any ties, I was afraid you would disappear to avoid me if I told you who I really am, so…”

“I-I did not act like a sociopath!”

“Um yes, you did.”

“You were the one acted like a creep.”

“No, I didn’t!”

“Yes, you did.”

Well, that was childish. But it gives them a familiar feeling. Like they are one step closer to how they used to spend times with each other, one step closer to the easy and peaceful life they want.

“That idiom…or something like that.” Minkyung plays with her fingers. “What is it?”

“Huh?”

“You said it earlier. A wise man once said…?”

“O-Oh.” Kyungwon chuckles. “Um…Scars show us where we have been, they do not dictate where we are going.”

“So who is this wise man? Don’t tell me it’s you.”

“Too bad, it’s not me.” Kyungwon shortens the tiny gap between them and Minkyung laces her fingers with hers automatically. “It’s from my favorite TV series.”

“I like it a lot. Maybe…we can watch it together someday?”

“That’s a long series.” Minkyung feels her warm exhales on her earlobe. “Are you asking me for some kind of movie marathon date?”

“…You can ignore if you don’t want to.”

“I didn’t say that.” Kyungwon sounds like she’s trying to hold back her laughter. “I would love to go on a date which you take the initiative to ask.”

Kyungwon props up her upper body and when she wants to turn Minkyung around, she spots something on the back of her neck. Minkyung feels her hand loosens hers, going all the way up and gently moves away the hair that are covering. She knows she must have seen it.

“This is from that day…From Han Sungwo, right?”

Minkyung just nods. Kyungwon moves more of her hair to the side and sees where the scar starts. It is on the scalp near her left ear, drawing slantingly down to the back of her neck. The scar is long and now pink and slightly swollen, Kyungwon can’t help but imagine how severe it was and how much time it took to heal.

“Does it still hurt?”

She asks, soon figures it is a pretty stupid question. Minkyung senses something warm touches her neck, the “No” she’s about to answer is gulped back within a recoil. Kyungwon presses her lips on the scar, softly with tenderness. Though the skin there is sensitive, it’s a feel doesn’t contain any lust but full of affection.

“They can’t hurt you anymore.” Kyungwon whispers and kisses the scar once more. Minkyung turns with some difficulties, their noses almost touch, and her orbs are a little watery and gleaming under the moonlight from the window. Kyungwon gulps unwittingly, staring at Minkyung’s beauty at such a short distance can really cause her to have a heart disorder.

“You’ll stay with me…no matter what?”

Minkyung rests a palm one her cheek and asks. Kyungwon nods, eyes never stop locking on her.

“If one day…they find out about me…”

“Let’s just keep a low profile and wait, things will eventually… become past and being left in the past. We will get through this together, Minkyung. I promise.”

“…You don’t make promise you can’t keep.”

“No, I don’t.”

“I…” Minkyung smiles. “I believe you.”

Kyungwon is about to return a smile when she finds Minkyung leans closer. She freezes, unable to move and think and breath, but she feels. She feels Minkyung’s lips, she feels them with her own.

It is light and quick, it is merely a peck, but it deluges her heart.

“W-What?”

Minkyung murmurs with her cheeks red when seeing Kyungwon’s expression. “You’re not the only one who has the right to initiate…”

This time, Kyungwon shuts her with the most profound kiss. Unlike last time, she can taste pure and most importantly, stronger love in Minkyung’s lips. Her mind is spinning and her ears are buzzing, but her heart stays still in her warm chest. Every beat is heavy, but every beat is solid. Minkyung pulls away a little for air, she also leans back first and connects their lips once more.

Softer, longer.

“…Can I call you mine now?”

Kyungwon whispers into her lips, palm caressing her cheek and fingertip  her earlobe.

“…Just shut up and kiss me.”

Minkyung whispers back and Kyungwon smiles. That’s the answer she gets, and that’s all she needs to proceed.

                        ###

“Congratulations on our Yuyu finally found her dream girl!!”

As always, Kyungwon facepalms but there’s no way she can ignore that figure which jumps out of nowhere and exclaims with overexcited high volume. Something white keeps falling into her sight and she realizes Eunwoo’s scattering serviette scraps on her head and pretending they are confetti.

“Jung Nunu, I swear to god…”

“Nunu? You must be Eunwoo.” Minkyung who is sitting on the opposite reaches out her hand. “I’m Min...”

“I know who you are!” Eunwoo tosses the last few pieces of scraps to Kyungwon’s face before shakes Minkyung’s hand cheerfully. “Kyungwon talks about you all the time, I’m so glad she finally brings you here so we can meet…I mean, officially, yeah.”

“I’m happy to see you too.”

“I heard you are a music teacher?”

Minkyung nods. “And I heard you are the chef here?”

“Yes! Wow, Yuyu talked about me too?”

“Of course, we talk about everything.”

Before Eunwoo can let out an “awwn”, Minkyung adds: “So where’s your other half?”

“My other…what?”

At that second, Kyungwon understands why her friends like to tease each other so much.

“Yes, it’s Kyulkyung…right? The baker here?”

Because seeing the one you tease with that tomato red cheeks is way too funny.

“She’s not my…I am inde…W-We…” Eunwoo lowers her head to avoid Kyungwon’s amused look. “F-Fine! I’ll go get her!”

Kyungwon finally bursts out laughing when Eunwoo scoots away and rushes behind the counter, almost like running from being killed by embarrassment. “Oh my, this is the first time she stammers like this!”

“Hope she won’t hate me for that.”

Minkyung chuckles and Kyungwon holds her hand on the table. “She won’t.”

“You have a nice workplace.” Minkyung takes a look around. “And nice friends.”

“And nice girlfriend.”

Kyungwon doesn’t dodge when she earns a light smack because of her cheesy words. “So what’s your plan of this weekend?”

“Plan?”

“Yeah. You know, the first weekend we can spend as a real couple…” Kyungwon admits sheepishly. “Don’t l-laugh at me, I’ve envied Eunwoo and Kyulkyung for too long…I want to and I’ve been picturing about a date like them always have for…just as long as how I envy them.”

Minkyung giggles, makes Kyungwon blush even more. “What’s the date you’ve been picturing?”

“Um…it’s kind of cliché, but…A picnic beside Han River? Riding a bike in the afternoon? Going to amusement park and ride roller-coaster and have ice cream?”

Kyungwon scratches the back of her head though she doesn’t know why she’s feeling embarrassed. It’s her first time having someone by her side, she’s not experienced and she’s afraid she might do something stupid. When Minkyung doesn’t answer, her nerves tense and she lets out some silly chuckles to hide.

“Well, I understand if you d-don’t like it, that’s just a simple s-suggestion and I’m not that stubborn so we don’t really have to…”

“It sounds great.”

Kyungwon blinks. “You mean it?”

“Of course. It really sounds great.”

Minkyung’s eyes soften and Kyungwon can see the emotions that are floating inside. She’s no

Please log in to read the full chapter