Mystery

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Yoon Doojun.”

There’s a silence on the other line of the phone.

“Hello?”

“Room 407, Capital Hotel.” A voice of a woman appears.

“Excuse me?”

“Senator Son is there. Drunk, , in bed with a e. It’s exclusive if you can get there in ten minutes.”

And the call ends.

 

                                                                             ###

 

The city is always like this. Neon signs dazzle earthling’s eyes, traffics and pedestrians hustle and bustle, days and nighttime pass without much differences and without a trace. Kyungwon finds herself actually like this kind of everyday life, she’s a big town girl, she has been living in here since she was 12. She’s used to have cars horn right outside her room window and grab a late night snack at the 7-11 across the street and being woken up at early morning when the hardworking people start their new days, she loves these noises around her, and she loves the feeling of knowing many kinds of people, including her friends, will walk by the street in front of her apartment every day.

She doesn’t know why, but it makes her feel safe and free. Knowing she’s not alone in this world and knowing she’s living a life she wants.

“Oh, you’re here, sweetie.”

Her father greets her with a warm but weary smile. “You don’t have to do this, you know, it’s late and you have your work…”

“Dad, stop it.” Kyungwon puts a cup of Americano on the desk. “I’m not a little girl anymore. Besides, don’t you feel happy seeing your daughter come all the way to remind you to rest when you need it?”

Kang Jihyuk chuckles, obviously amused. “Fine, fine, you little one. Let me finish this one more paper and we can go home.”

“Ok.”

Kyungwon suits herself on the couch in the office. There are no magazines nor newspaper, nothing entertaining—which matches her father’s personality, so she moves closer to the window and lifts up the curtain. One thing she likes about her dad’s office is that it got a pretty nice view on the 10th floor, she can see the metropolis moving and living well.

Kyungwonnie, let’s play!

A kid’s voice appears in her head out of nowhere, Kyungwon smiles when thinking of a certain one who would call her like this. She remembers how they met, she remembers the week they spent together, she remembers those sparkling eyes that made her heartbeat quicken. Not many people know this certain girl is the reason that she never had and never wanted to have a relationship.

Kyungwon has pictured many times about their reunion. Last time, she swears last time—it was a week ago, that she really saw her at the coffee shop she works at. She didn’t change much, but she also changed a lot. Hair still long and silky, figures still breathtaking, still able to make her heartbeat quicken, but those eyes were not sparkling anymore. Instead, they were gloomy and almost blank. That might be the main (probably the only) reason stopped Kyungwon from going talking to her, she was shocked and hesitated if that girl was the one she’s been looking for. Now she’s regret she did not do that.

Will I see her again? Will she come again?

“Your mom loved to do this too.”

Kyungwon turns back, her dad is looking at her with fondness. “She loved to sit at where you’re sitting now and looked outside the window, sometimes she would fall asleep and when I woke her up, she always said she was awake.”

Kang Jihyuk stands up and paces to his daughter. “And…you look a lot like her. Especially when you changed to this new hair.”

He touches her shoulder-length black hair and her cheek. Married the woman he loved was the blessing of his life, this beautiful daughter is the biggest gift his beloved left him, he loves her with all his heart.

“You still thinking of mom?”

“I think of her every day. Come on, let’s go home.”

They just stand up and Jihyuk’s phone rings. He answers, and his expression turns serious within few seconds.

“Yes, I see.”

He glances at Kyungwon before continues: “Can’t wait till tomorrow? I got things here. Yeah, morning would be good. 9am, sure. Thank you.”

“Everything ok, dad?”

Jihyuk nods and gestures her to follow him. “A politician was caught with e by his wife, and like the first two cases…The press got the news quicker than their lawyers and we cops again. It’s all over the TV now so…He’s requesting to meet me and wants me to inform him about the investigation.”

“…How’s that possible? The wives reported it to them? They got eyes around the enterprisers?”

Jihyuk looks at his daughter, not sure if telling her this is necessary or in line with the rules.

“Dad, it’s not a serial killer or a bloody murderer, right? I can take this, just tell me.”

Usually Kyungwon would not probe her dad’s works, but today, she somehow has a feeling like it’s something she will want to know and she will need to know.

“The suspect…I’m not sure if calling her a suspect is right because she hasn’t really broken any laws…”

“A she?”

“Yeah, it’s a woman. The press got the news because she called them and tell them where the locations were. It happened in all three cases so far.”

“So, um…She hasn’t got caught yet?”

“No, apparently she’s good at disguise. Nobody in the hotels remembered seeing her, and according to the second victim’s lawyer, this e—at least that was what he thought at the beginning—wore a mask when they met up at the hotel room. She knocked him out before their…activities, actually started. When he woke up, he was and being tied up on a chair and locked in an elevator which later opened to a lobby full of reporters. We’re still trying to get the first and the latest to talk to us.”

A mask.

There is many i

Please log in to read the full chapter