Moon Sisters

You're Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein is busying herself packing up things for Hyejin. Some polaroids of them, her favourite tumblr that Hyejin ‘borrowed’ from Seulgi’s cafe, more polaroids of them, snacks...

“Chasing me out so soon?” comes a voice that always sends a chill down Wheein’s spine. Her head snaps toward the voice and she sees Hyejin standing at the doorway of her room - a solemn smile spreading on her glistening face. 

Is she sweating? 

“Were you running?” Wheein asks, amused. She starts to wonder if she has ever seen the younger girl run. It would be a strange sight.

“No.” Hyejin says, cleaning , hiding the flush in her face. “Anyway, what are you doing?”

“Oh, I’m just clearing out some stuff. I thought maybe you’d want to take some of these back to New York.” Wheein gestures towards the memorabilia-filled box. “...Or not. They’re basically garbage to you, I suppose.” 

There’s an awkward pause. Hyejin sighs and sits on the floor next to Wheein. “These are not garbage. Look at these pictures, we were smiling so much. Where was this? Nami?”

“Yeah, remember what happened there?” Wheein grins. “Yong tried to do a jumpshot and ended up“

“-falling flat on her face.” Hyejin continues. They burst out laughing. The air is clear and light, and the conversation is easy. Hyejin wonders if it’s the knowledge that she won’t be here for long that’s keeping them at ease with each other. Maybe they’re both trying to cherish the time that’s left. Maybe it’s good this way. 

“Hey.” Hyejin smiles and places a hand on Wheein’s thigh. “I got you something.” She gets up and leaves the room. 

“What?” Wheein furrows her brows, an amused smile on her face. What’s Hyejin up to this time? 

A moment later, Hyejin reappears in the room, a beautiful bouquet in her hands. “Ta-da!”

“For me???” Wheein squeals and smiles till her eyes disappear. “What’s got into you?” She feigns a worried face and places a hand on Hyejin’s forehead. “No you’re not sick.” 

“Quit it!” Hyejin smacks Wheein’s hand away playfully. She pauses, watching quietly as Wheein gushes over the flowers. Then she speaks up. 

“Do you know what this bouquet means?” She says, biting her bottom lip in anticipation for the embarrassment she’s about to face. 

Wheein shakes her head. 

“It means, do you still love me?” Hyejin answers, breaking their eye contact and turns to look at her feet instead. “Make of that what you will.” She waits and waits but hears nothing from Wheein. At the same time she doesn’t dare face the older girl. Her heart is beating so fast, her breathing almost couldn’t catch up. 

A few seconds pass. Then she feels Wheein’s warm body scooting closer to hers, sealing the gap between them. She hears a small sigh from the older girl as she rests her head on Hyejin’s shoulder. 

“Yes.” Wheein says softly. “I don’t know how we ended up like this, but my answer is yes.” 

“Really?” Hyejin finally turns to look at Wheein, her eyes widened. “I was hoping you’d say no so I can fly home without a single worry in my heart.” 

“Oh Hyejinnie.” Wheein smiles. “We both know you’re going home no matter what my answer is. But at least nothing is left unanswered.” There’s a pause. Then Wheein looks up at Hyejin and asks. “Wait, so you have feelings for me too?”

“I mean, does it matter?” Hyejin shrugs. 

“I want to know at least. Come on!” Wheein says, playfully snaking Hyejin’s shoulder. “Spill the tea, Ahn Hyejin!”

“Yes!” Hyejin laughs, pulling the shorter girl to her. “Yes yes yes! I have good feelings for you, you good looking little person you.”

Wheein wants to protest being called little, but decides against it. She lets herself enjoy Hyejin’s comforting embrace instead. 

“So, do you want to do LDR?” Wheein asks softly, playing with Hyejin’s black curls.

Hyejin considers for a moment, then shakes her head. “Even a relationship master such as myself  won’t survive it. LDR is messy and complicated.” She says.

“Well.” Wheein lets out a sigh. “At least we’re both on the same page about that.”

Hyejin smiles and kisses the top of Wheein’s head, relishing the sweet smell of cheap shampoo that emanates from it. 

“Visit me in New York sometimes?”

“For sure.” Wheein replies. There’s sadness in her eyes that Hyejin pretends not to notice. 

The growing tension in the room is broken by Wheein’s buzzing phone. She answers the call with a rushed and nervous hello, like she’s been caught doing something bad.

“. We’ll be right there.” Wheein taps her phone shut and looks at a confused Hyejin. “We have to get to the hospital. Byul’s in trouble.” 

//

Wheein and Hyejin jog down the corridor that leads to Byul’s ward, stopping when they see Minhyuk at the end of it. 

“Hey, she okay?” Wheein asks breathlessly. 

Minhyuk nods and leads them to a bench. “It’s been a while since she’s had a serious reaction. But all is good now. She’s resting inside.” He says. 

“So, can we go in and see her? At least ask how she’s doing?” Hyejin says, getting to her feet. “Wheres Yong?”

“The real problem isn’t the allergy.” Minhyuk quickly sits Hyejin down. His voice drops to a whisper. “The real problem is, we have WW3 happening in that room right now.” 

Wheein and Hyejin threw each other confused looks, then turn to look at Minhyuk. “Stop talking in poetry, and just tell us what the hell is going on!” Wheein hisses. “Where is Yongsun?”

“They’re inside!” Minhyuk whispers sharply. “All THREE of them. So unless you want to get dragged along in their love triangle, it’s best for us to just stay out of it.”

“Three of them?” Wheein asks. “Oh you mean-“ her eyes widened and she lets her body relax onto the chair, deciding its best to stay put. “You’re right. Let’s just stay here till things cool down.”

“Losers.” Hyejin shakes her head. “I’d buy popcorn and barge into that room for the drama, if it was up to me.”

Wheein and Minhyuk shake their heads at Hyejin in disapproval, then turning their focus to the closed door of Byul’s room that’s eerily quiet and calm.

“What are you guys looking at?” says a sudden voice. 

The three scream in unison. 

“Yong???” Hyejin yells in surprise. She drops her voice when the other 2 scowl at her. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be inside?”

“Yeah, Minhyuk said-“ Wheein pauses in her sentence and frowns at the man. “You lying son of a-”

Minhyuk’s eyes widened and he throws his hands up in the air in fear. “I‘m not a liar! There are definitely more than two ladies in that room.” He explains worriedly. “My testorone-filled hearing never fails to pick up the voices of the opposite !”

“Gross.” Yongsun rolls her eyes and sips her iced lemon tea. “But if I’m out here and Byul is inside with two women...”

“And one of them is Sunmi...” Hyejin considers for a moment. “Then the other one is...”

//

“So...” Moonbyul stops fiddling with her thumbs and looks up at the two gorgeous women standing in front of her bed, feeling the nerves in her bones intensify as she speaks. “You two gonna be here for a while or...?” 

“I can’t believe you’re letting her stay in your home, Byul!” Krystal says angrily. “Did you forget what she did to you?” 

“She’s just a guest.” Moonbyul smiles awkwardly. “But anyway it’s my house so I-“

Sunmi scoffs. “At least Byullie loved me more than she ever did you.” She smiles proudly. “Tell her, Byullie.”

“Now now, no need for comparisons.” Moonbyul says nervously. “I have zero feelings for you two now-“

“How dare you say that after you left her and break her heart?” Krystal hisses, pushing Sunmi back. 

“Give up already!” Sunmi pushes Krystal back, much to Moonbyul’s dismay. “Byullie deserves better than your squirrelly face!”

“Stop calling her Byullie, you !” Krystal screams, making a grab for Sunmi’s hair.

“Get away from me, you nasty little feral!”

“Women should support women... ㅠㅠ” Moonbyul sighs and reaches for the red button above her bed. Seconds later, a nurse walks in together with Minhyuk, Hyejin, Wheein, and 

“Yongsun.” Moonbyul’s face lights up when she sees the older girl. 

Yongsun mutters a quiet hello and looks away from Moonbyul. After all, she’s the reason Moonbyul is in this mess right now. 

“What is all this ruckus?” The nurse asks angrily. “The patient needs her rest. You two have no business coming in here and throwing a fit.” The room falls into silence as the nurse walks over to check on Moonbyul. “Good. Your swelling has gone down.”

She writes something on her clipboard and throws everyone a warning look. “Keep your voices down, please. This is a hospital, not a playground. I swear to god if Hani wasn’t my cousin...” the angry nurse’s voice trails off as she closes the door behind her, leaving the room with an even more defeaning silence than before. 

“You doing okay, sis?” Minhyuk is the first to speak up. 

“I’ve been better.” Moonbyul smiles. “But hey it’s not a big deal. You guys shouldn’t even be wasting your time here.” She says. “How’s the clinic?”

“I got the new guy to man the fort for a few hours while I’m gone.” Minhyuk replies. “Hey it’s not going to s yet okay? Don’t worry your pretty little head over it.”

“Say pretty little head again and I’ll have that nurse come back around to smack you in the face with her clipboard.” Moonbyul says with a serious look on her face despite jokin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter