Smooth Criminal

You're Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wheein is rolling kimbap with strength that could break a person’s neck, still bitter about being rudely awaken at 7 in the morning by Hyejin who had suddenly declared that it’s Indoor Picnic Day and that she’s tasked with preparing the snacks.

“What the hell is Indoor Picnic Day anyway?” Wheein asks.

“Like regular picnic but indoors?” Yongsun answers nonchalantly as she pours pancake batter onto the pan. She too, is a victim of Hyejin’s odd behaviour, and has been trusted with making breakfast food.

“That’s very helpful.”

“It’s just her way of coping, you know, after that thing with her father.” Yongsun says.

“I know, but we can’t live like this forever. Remember last week she made us wear mittens and act like kittens the entire day?”

“Don’t remind me.” Yongsun shudders, remembering the horrid taste of kibbles in .

“We need an intervention. Pronto. Let’s sit her down tonight and break the news to her.”

“About what?”

“That she has officially gone bat crazy! Haven’t you been listening?”

“It won’t work. We tried, remember? And she starts-”

“Screaming and covering her ears pretending she can’t hear us, I know. But I have a friend who might just be able to help us.”

Before Yongsun could respond, Hyejin pops her head into the kitchen. She’s smiling from ear-to-ear like a kid who has just walked into a candy shop.

“I have a surprise for you, Yongsun. Enjoy!” She yells, pushing Moonbyul into the kitchen and laughing maniacally as she sprints down the hall.

“What the ?” Yongsun stares at Moonbyul in disbelief. “What are you doing here?”

“I was told that it’s Indoor Picnic Day and that you really wanted me to be here?” Moonbyul looks at Yongsun and then at Wheein, piecing the puzzles together. “…Or not?”

Wheein pushes a tub of chocolate chips into Moonbyul’s hands. “Start baking.”

Moonbyul raises an eyebrow. “I can try?”

“No.” Yongsun scowls at Wheein and leads Moonbyul out of the kitchen. “You should go home.” She drops her voice to a whisper. “I don’t want to drag you into this mess.” Moonbyul follows Yongsun’s eyes that lead to Hyejin who is currently making dust angels on the floor.

“Oh.” Moonbyul gets it now. “Her father still hasn’t called her back?”

Hyejin suddenly sits up and shoots the duo a murderous gaze, causing Yongsun and Moonbyul to make a dash into one of the open bedrooms.

“What the hell was that?” Moonbyul is laughing and trying to breathe at the same time.

“She’s easily triggered by the F word.”

“?”

“Father.”

“Right.” Moonbyul says, scanning the room. “Wait, so this is your bedroom?”

“.” Came Yongsun’s immediate response.

“I said that out loud, didn’t I?” Her cheeks start flushing red as Moonbyul nods at her with an amused look on her face.

“Relax, I think it’s a nice room.” Moonbyul plonks herself on Yongsun’s bed and slips her legs beneath the sheet, hands tucking a pillow below her head. “Your bed is comfy, even for two people, I'll bet.”

Yongsun blushes at Moonbyul’s comment but doesn’t say anything. She’s contemplating between running for the door and bolting out of the house and just jumping out through the window.   

Moonbyul seems to have read Yongsun’s mind. She smirks, and Yongsun feels her chest tightens.

“I- I have to get back to the kitchen before Wheein starts yelling at me for bailing on her.” Yongsun quickly turns her back on Moonbyul and reaches for the door, opening it ever so slightly before it gets slammed shut again. She turns around swiftly out of reflex and lets out a surprised gasp as her face almost touches Moonbyul’s, taking in the delightful smell of peaches that lingers in the younger girl’s silver locks.

“W-what are you doing?” She looks up anxiously at Moonbyul who has her arms at either side of Yongsun’s head, essentially trapping her between the door and her body.

“You.”

Moonbyul leans forward to close the gap between them while Yongsun shuts her eyes bracing for impact, before Moonbyul stops abruptly and reaches out to tap Yongsun’s nose. “…have a cute nose!”

“What?” Yongsun says breathlessly, wondering what the hell just happened.

“On second thought, I’m a lousy baker. Think I’m going to head home now, but you have fun.” Moonbyul swings the door open. “See you when I see you, Yongsun unnie.” She winks at a bewildered Yongsun and disappears into the hall.

Yongsun brings a hand to her chest, worried that her heart is about to fall out from beating so erratically. The air still smells like peaches.

//

“Why are we here?” Hyejin asks as Yongsun wordlessly drags her into a new coffee shop that isn’t too far from their apartment. Wheein is talking to the barista by the counter when she spots the two and gestures them over.

“Seulgi, this is Hyejin and her cousin, Yongsun. You guys, this is Seulgi.”

“Uhm, I don't care.” Hyejin looks around, thinking to herself that the café is not too shabby. She might even consider spending her afternoons here with a book and an Americano when her father decides to unban her from his life, which should be soon, considering that it’s been two torturous weeks of living like a normal person.

“Hey.” Yongsun smiles. Seulgi is cute.

“Wheein told me a lot about you. It’s nice to put a face on the name.” Seulgi says.

“Really?”

“Yeah, you’re Frank’s owner right? My girlfriend and I are huge fans!” Seulgi continues.

“Oh.” Yongsun’s smile fades as she turns to look at Wheein with a murderous gaze. So this is why it’s so easy to seal the deal for Hyejin.

Seulgi disappears into the staff room and returns with a set of black outfit that she hands over to a very confused Hyejin.

“Uhm, what’s this?”

“This would be your uniform. You’re starting tomorrow!” Seulgi smiles.

“Starting what?” Hyejin asks, a puzzled expression on her face. Everybody is silent. Then the truth starts sinking in. “Oh no, no, no. I’m not serving coffee to people I don’t know… or know!”

“Sweetie, you’ve not been yourself lately and we’re worried. Staying home 24/7 is not healthy.” Yongsun says.

“Also, you need to start paying your share of the rent.” Wheein says. “And stop stealing my frozen pancakes! You think I don’t know that you’ve been throwing the packaging in the neighbour’s trash?”

“Fine.” Hyejin sighs to the cheers of her friends. “But don’t blame me when I poison your coffee.”

“Try out the uniform and see if it fits?” Seulgi asks, gesturing at the staff room.

“Might as well, I guess.” Hyejin sighs, dragging her feet towards the room while mumbling in discontentment.

“Can I talk to you?” Yongsun asks, pulling Wheein to the side.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“Byul is messing with my head.” Yongsun says through gritted teeth. “Remember the other day at my house?”

“Indoor Picnic Day?”

“Yes. At one point, we were in my room and-”

“What?” A grin spreads on Wheein’s face.

“Look, nothing happened.” Yongsun quickly explains. “Although she did come close to kissing me…”

“Again, what?” Wheein’s eyes widened. Yongsun is giving

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter