Kryst

You're Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“So, a vet, huh?”

Yongsun is too shy to make eye contact with Moonbyul, focusing instead on Frank’s leash as they stroll the neighbourhood mall. They’re basically taking a few steps at one time and stopping, and then repeating the tedious process. At the rate Frank is going, they might as well just be standing in one place.

“So, this is Frank, huh?” Moonbyul’s face breaks into a smile. “I have to be honest, I thought I lost my chance back then.”

“Your chance?” Yongsun looks up at Moonbyul, curious. She has the most mesmerising brown eyes anyone could ever have and lustrous silver hair that looks soft to the touch. Yongsun wonders what it would feel like run her fingers through that hair, to have those eyes only longing to look at her.

“Never mind.” Moonbyul says, still smiling. Although Yongsun feels like someone she has known for a long time, she’s still careful to keep a distance between them. Just in case the older girl is not comfortable with her yet.

“I think your job is really cool.” Yongsun remarks. “None of my friends are veterinarians.”

“I always knew I wanted to help animals.” Moonbyul says.

“How?”

“When I was little, a car ran over my dog.” Moonbyul hesitates a little before further explaining. “My parents were at work so I had nobody to ask for help. I remember just sitting there on the road, comforting my dying dog as he whimpered softly in pain… until he wasn’t doing it anymore.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that.”

“It’s an old story. Hope I didn’t bore you out because I tend to do that.” Moonbyul says, embarrassed. “At least that’s what Minhyuk tells me.”

“You don’t!” Yongsun replies, a little too quickly. “I mean, feel free to say whatever you’re comfortable with.” Her face starts burning up.

“Are you okay?” Moonbyul chuckles with ease. “Your face is getting all red.”

“Must be the exhausting walk with Frank.” Yongsun jokes. Moonbyul thinks she has a smile that could end wars.

“So, what do you do? I’ve been meaning to ask.”

“Guess.”

“Uhm, are you a YouTuber?”

Yongsun gasps. “, you just gave me goosebumps. That was close.”

“I’ve always found you familiar but I just can’t put my finger on it.” Moonbyul laughs. “Tell me already.”

For some reason, Yongsun feels compelled to tell Moonbyul the truth. Before she could stop herself, the words come tumbling out of .

“I was in that 90s ice bar commercial.”

She sighs when she sees Moonbyul’s face goes from confused to surprised.

“The Lotte one?”

“Yes.”

“You’re kidding! Which one?”

“A few of them actually.” Yongsun tries not to remember the horribly mismatched clothes she had to put on and the cheesy lines that she had to memorise and recite on national tv. “I also starred in other commercials that ended up not getting aired. But they still paid me for my work, so.”

“I can’t believe a celebrity is standing in front of me right now.” Moonbyul teases.

Yongsun shakes her head. “I rather not bring that up to people.”

“No way, that’s the best kind of ice-breaking conversation.” Moonbyul grins. “So you don’t do commercials anymore?”

“Do you see me on tv these days?”

“Point taken.”

A comfortable silence falls between them until Moonbyul speaks up again.

“You haven’t told me what you do nowadays though.”

“, sorry I side-tracked. These days I just do vlogs and manage Frank’s Instagram page.”

“So you’re essentially living off your pet tortoise?” Moonbyul teases. She’s surprised that Yongsun is growing on her this quick.

“Shut up.” Yongsun can’t help the growing smile on her face. “I get paid for my vlogs and Frank gets a lot of sponsorship for his food. At least he’s working for his hay.”

Moonbyul laughs. “You have a very interesting life, Ms. Kim Yongsun.”

“My life is as interesting as a block of wood.”

“We’ll see about that.” There’s a meaningful smile on Moonbyul’s face that Yongsun tries not to read too much into.

“I think we better go look for Hwasa and Wheein before they buy the whole furniture department.”

//

“Aaaaah! This is heaven!” Wheein exclaims, plopping herself onto the two newly bought mattresses, one stacked on top of the other. Hwasa laughs and joins her.

“250 dollars for each?” Yongsun walks into the living room, receipt in her hand. “Were you two out of your minds?”

“Hwasa used her credit card.” Wheein shrugs. “She said it’s okay.”

Hwasa nods readily. “Yeah, it’s totally fine.”

“Your father’s credit card?” Yongsun narrows her eyes at her cousin. “You told me you almost maxed it out yesterday.”

“And it’s fully maxed out today.” Hwasa says. “You have nothing to worry about. My dad will pay for it.”

Yongsun sighs. “You know that’s not the point. But, whatever. Just take them back into your rooms. You’re taking up Frank’s hang out space.”

“Frank is so slow he literally walks in place. How much space does he need?” Wheein rolls her eyes. “Anyway, what’s new between you and hot vet?” A cheeky grin spread on Wheein’s pink cheeks.

“Oh, I want to know, too!” Hwasa rolls over onto her tummy. “Did you two make out in the time you were alone together?”

“Ugh, I’m not you.” Yongsun rolls her eyes. “Well you saw what happened. We exchanged numbers and she rushed back to work.” She shrugs, trying hide her disappointment.

Wheein’s face falls. “She didn’t ask for a second date?”

“No. But today wasn’t technically a first date either.”

“What!” Wheein exclaims. “She didn’t ask you, my gorgeous ice bar commercial queen housemate on a second date? Pfft, she doesn’t know what she’s missing.”

“She’s probably chatting with a few girls at once.” Hwasa offers up. “Oh wait, I’m supposed to make you feel better.”

“You think?” Wheein glares at Hwasa, then looks at Yongsun. “Maybe she’ll text you after she gets off work.”  

“I wouldn’t count on it.” Yongsun says softly.

//

“Hi, it was nice meeting you today. What a coincidence, huh? Let’s go on a second date. Let me know your thoughts.” Minhyuk reads Moonbyul’s draft text message out loud, his voice sounding duller by the second.

“Can you not sound like you’re dying?”

“I would if your text doesn’t make me want to kill myself.” Minhyuk sighs and looks at his sister. “You need to re-draft this . If you send her this crap, I’ll personally call her up and tell her to reject you.”

“Drama queen.” Moonbyul scoffs. She looks at Minhyuk. “Well, what else can I say? I can’t just assume she’d go out with me. That’s why I’m asking for her opinion first.”

“Will you also ask for permission to fall in love with her?”

“Yah, that’s a little too far to think.” Moonbyul says, hiding her blush.

“Your face has betrayed you, dear sister.” Minhyuk grins, then shifts his focus back to Moonbyul’s text. “We need to plan this better. Well, you’ve met her today. How do you think she feels about you?”

“Uhh, nothing? We barely know each other.”

“Fine, then let’s take this slow. I mean, you would like to see her again, right?”

“Yes, isn’t that the whole point of me texting her about the second date?”

“But you don’t know if she’s comfortable enough to see you alone?”

“Ah, yes.”

“Then let’s go out on a group date. All of us.” Minhyuk’s face breaks in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter