Goodbye & Hi Again

You're Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wheein unlocks the door to the apartment and is surprised to see that the gang is here, huddled together in the living room, chowing down on chicken wings and beer.

“Okay, whatever we’re celebrating, I did not get the memo.” Wheein says, shrugging her jacket off. She’s surprised that even Minhyuk is here. He hurriedly the final fleshy bit of his wing and his fingers before responding to Wheein. “It’s a farewell.”  

Before Wheein could ask, Hyejin walks into the living room with food and smiles at her. “Mine. I sent you a text earlier but I’m guessing you didn’t see it. Anyway, sit down and help yourself before Minhyuk single-handedly finish everything.” She scowls at the only guy in the room and gestures at Wheein to go sit next to her.

“Your farewell?” Wheein moves towards the younger girl, legs moving slow but heart beating fast. She’s not sure if she’s going to like what she hears next and yet, she couldn’t help the nervous laughter that escapes her lips as she looks at Hyejin and asks her, “What farewell? A-are y-you going somewhere?”

“Well, it turns out that uncle is a big softie who has forgiven Hyejin and wants her to return to New York immediately.” Yongsun explains, and Wheein feels the colour drain from her face.

“When are you leaving?” Wheein asks.

“End of this month. Oh and don’t worry about the café, I already told Seulgi about this so she can start looking for a replacement as soon as possible.” Hyejin says, handing a plate to Wheein. “I hope you’re okay with BBQ wings? I know you like spicy but they ran out.”

Wheein looks at the plate on Hyejin’s hand, and then at Hyejin, feeling a swelling lump in . How could she be so accepting about leaving? There’s no way this is the loud, rebellious Hyejin she has grown to admire, and as much as she doesn’t want to admit it, grown to like. There’s no way she can just leave the life and friends she has her. There's no way she can just leave her. How irresponsible. How heartless. How dare she.

“You can’t leave!” She cries, surprising everybody in the room. Yongsun clears and tries to pretend like she and Moonbyul are busy having their own conversation to notice the awkwardness in the room. Meanwhile, Minhyuk is crawling towards the washroom to escape.

“It’s where I belong.” Hyejin says, placing a hand on Wheein’s shoulder to comfort her. “Besides, aren’t you glad that I’ll be out of your hair soon?” She says, her lips curling into an unconvincing smile.

“Can we please talk about this?” Wheein asks, not caring that she sounds desperate because she is. “Now.”

“You’re overreacting.” Hyejin feigns a laugh. “Stop making this weird, shiba inu.”

Getting up so fast she accidently kicks a cup and spills its contents, Wheein drags Hyejin by the arm towards the balcony despite the younger girl’s protests.

“What is wrong with you?” Hyejin pulls her arm from Wheein’s grasp, her face reddened with anger. It’s only when she notices the tears that fill Wheein’s eyes as the older girl looks away that she realises an ache in her chest.

And suddenly her anger is quickly replaced by guilt.

“Look, I know this is happening too fast.” Hyejin says softly. “I’m happy to go home but that doesn’t mean I won’t miss you guys because I will. And I already do. I miss you guys terribly.”

“Who’s going to fight me for the remote when you’re gone? Or go mattress-shopping with me?” Wheein sobs. “Or read Moonsun’s cheesy text messages with me and secretly laugh at them?”

Hyejin laughs and covers Wheein’s face with her hands, fingers moving to wipe the older girl’s tears. “You’re going to be just fine, okay? You can always screenshot me their texts. Also, video calls exist, you know?”

Wheein sniffles and places her hands over Hyejin’s. “Since you’re leaving anyway, I have to tell you something.”

Hyejin feels goes dry, but nods at Wheein to proceed.

“The kiss we had the other night…” Wheein says quietly. “I lied when I said I didn’t feel anything for you.”

Hyejin’s breath hitches against the back of , despite fully expecting Wheein to say that. “I- I don’t know what to say, Wheein…”

“I know.” Wheein says, a forlorn smile on her face. “I know you don’t feel the same way for me. But it’s okay. I just didn’t want to regret not telling you. And now that I have, I feel way better already.”

“You’ll always have a special place in my heart, shiba inu.” Hyejin whispers sadly, closing her arms around the other girl. They stay that way for a while before Wheein breaks the embrace and wipes her wet face.

“I won’t lie that I’m devastated but I’ll be okay.” She takes a deep breath, smiling. “Let me go and freshen up and I’ll see you back in the living room so we can give you the farewell you deserve.”

“You’re the best.” Hyejin flashes a thumbs up at Wheein as the older girl leaves the balcony. Once she’s out of sight, Hyejin could feel her body almost collapsing from sheer exhaustion. She turns around to look out into the horizon and takes a deep breath, fighting back her own tears this time.

“You like her back.”

Hyejin jumps at the voice but doesn’t need to look behind to know that it’s Minhyuk. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Let me guess. You already knew that you’ll be leaving Korea so you pretended that the kiss between you and her didn’t mean anything.” Minhyuk says in his best faraway voice as he leans on his back against the railing and turns to face Hyejin. “I’m spot on, right?”

“Wipe that stupid smug off your face or I’ll do it myself with these fists.” Hyejin warns, glaring at him.

“You’re avoiding my question. Which means I’m right.” He smirks, running his fingers through his hair as slow as possible to look more dramatic. “Nothing escapes handsome Detective Lee.”

“The kiss was perfect. I thought I wouldn’t feel anything because it’s Wheein, you know? A few months ago we hated each other’s guts.” Hyejin says, her voice softening and surprising Minhyuk and even herself. “But I was wrong. When we kissed, I felt everything. Then I got the call from my father and I knew we’re not meant to be.”

Minhyuk could only sigh.

“Yeah, so what if you’re right?” Hyejin continues. “I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I’m not going to spend my whole life working at a café.”

“You are selfish. But not because you want to stop taking orders, wiping coffee spills, or unclogging the toilet.” Minhyuk says. “You’re selfish for hiding your true feelings for Wheein. You deserve to choose a life that you want but she also deserves to know the truth.”

“Why are you telling me this? You’re supposed to be Moonbyul’s dumb brother, not someone who speaks the truth and is making me doubt myself.” Hyejin sighs and buries her face in her hands.

Minhyuk smiles and puts a hand on Hyejin’s shoulder. “Think about it. If she really loves you, she’ll respect your decision, whatever it may be.”

//

“Do you think they like each other?” Moonbyul asks Yongsun as they take a walk around the block after Hyejin’s dinner ends.

“Wheein and Hyejin? From Wheein’s reaction, I would say yes. At the very least, Wheein has feelings for Hyejin but I’m not sure if it’s being reciprocated.”

Moonbyul nods. “Wheein wasn’t overreacting though. It was a perfectly normal reaction for someone who thinks she’s about to lose the person she likes.”

Yongsun stops in her track and looks at Moonbyul, letting out a pensive “Huh.”

“What?” Moonbyul stops too, can’t help the growing smile on her face as she gazes back at Yongsun.

“Why have you suddenly taken an interest in their lives?” Yongsun raises a brow, trying to read Moonbyul’s expression. The younger girl laughs it off and continues walking.

“The truth is, I’m jealous.” Moonbyul says.

“Jealous of them? Hyejin might have feelings for Wheein too and she’s about to return to New York. Their story is like the of many Korean dramas out there and you actually envy them?” Yongsun asks.

“Aren’t you being a little defensive?” Moonbyul asks, lips curling into a tiny smile when she notices the slight pout of Yongsun’s lips. Cute.

“I’m jealous that Wheein’s got the guts to let Hyejin know how she feels.” Moonbyul says. She stops walking again and her heart aches as she stares defiantly at Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter