Guilt

(ChaSang) Runaways

[BREAKING: VIXX members 'N' and 'Hyuk' gone missing!]

Wonshik folded the newspaper and threw it across the table. Jaehwan also frowned and turned off his laptop.

"The news is all over the place now," the rapper grunted.

"Maybe it was a bad idea going to the police after all..." Hongbin slouched on the sofa as he watched the news on the television.

"We were worried remember? Suddenly two of us goes missing and only leaving a note to not look for them. They haven't even contacted their friends or family and cut all their credit cards. What if something bad happened to them?" Wonshik shouted.

"Okay, okay. Calm down. Yelling isn't going to help with the situation," Jaehwan patted Wonshik on the shoulder and gesturing to sit back down. "So what did Sejun-hyung say?"

"I just talked to him on the phone and he's really worried about Hakyeon-hyung and Hyuk too. He says to halt our activities for the time being until we find them both," Taekwoon told s.

"At least he's understanding," Jaehwan sighed.

"Just not the media. Netizens are already spreading rumors about our group disbanding or having inner conflict. There was one comment yesterday about Hakyeon-hyung and Hyuk suiciding! It's outrageous!" Wonshik shot back up from his seat.

The four of them sighed as they felt the missing presence within the room.

"Why would Hakyeon-hyung and Hyuk disappear like this though... he was fine the other week," Jaehwan furrowed his brows.

"We even had a family gathering with everyone and he seemed totally fine that night," Hongbin said.

"I don't even know anymore," Taekwoon commented. "What is he thinking while we weren't looking?"

Ever since the members discovered that Hakyeon and Hyuk were gone, they grew worried every single day they couldn't find them. At first, they thought it might have just been a simple prank but eventually when both of the missing member's family started to call the other boys, every one grew worried. After two days of being unable to reach either of the members, they filed a missing persons report at the police station except... they didn't think that the news would end up spreading like wild fire. It was uncontrollable at what the media was saying about why the other two ran away.

The members went into both members' rooms to see if they could find any clues as to why Hakyeon or Hyuk would run away. Hyuk's room, shared with Wonshik, gave no clues at all. In fact, it felt sudden for Hyuk to have run away because his schoolwork was on his desk as if he was trying to finish it. Hakyeon's room also appeared rather normal aside from the fact that it was cleaned up and organized. They didn't have much time to clean their rooms during their group activities so once it was their long awaited break, Hakyeon must have cleaned up his room like everyone else did.

"What are those two thinking, leaving so suddenly?" Jaehwan sat on Hakyeon's bed and looked almost teary towards the floor.

The members stood in the center of Hakyeon's room, trying to figure out what might have gone wrong. Aside from Jaehwan, none of them ever cared to enter the leader's room until now.

Just then, Hongbin noticed something particularly odd about the room.

"Guys," he called for attention, "don't you feel like something is missing from here?"

"Huh? Like what?" Wonshik asked his friend.

"Like... where are all of Hakyeon-hyung's photo frames or the awards he used to put up on his room. Even his dart mask from that singing show isn't here."

"Now that you mention it..."

That's when the four of them started to inspect Hakyeon's room a bit further. From the outside, the room looked rather normal and clean. It was like a typical boy's room in fact so there wasn't much to think of it. But this was their leader, the oldest of VIXX's room.

The room of Cha Hakyeon.

Hakyeon used to pin up posters of VIXX, there would be trophies that the group gained before as well as dozens of photos that were taken with the six of them together. However, the room was suddenly cleansed of all those things as if this room didn't belong to Hakyeon.

The four of them started to dig around for the missing things that were gone from the room. They went through high and low to see if they could find any evidence and eventually, Taekwoon took out a box hidden deep below Hakyeon's bed.

"What... is this?" Taekwoon's voice trembled.

The other three joined the vocalist and saw what was inside of the box. Their group photos were ripped and the frames were torn. Their trophies were scratched and destroyed. Even the drama script books that Hakyeon have always treasured were half burnt.

"Why are they all like this?" Wonshik was horrified.

"It's as if... Hakyeon was erasing everything that... reminded him of us or himself," Taekwoon felt like crying just seeing everything destroyed.

All of Hakyeon's once treasured prize possessions were ripped apart and destroyed, hidden deep below the bed where no one could see.

 

~

 

After staying around the mountains for another few days, the two missing members eventually went down the coast where the land meets the sea.

The wind was strong and the scent of seawater could be smell through the air.

Hyuk stood there by the bay and watched the sun set. He turned his head back to see that Hakyeon was talking to an old lady fishing by the sea. The older looked so happy while helping the old lady while Hyuk could only watch from afar.

"Hey, look what that lady gave me just now!" Hakyeon shouted happily as he carried a bucket of fish to show the younger.

"Yeah..." Hyuk didn't have the energy like Hakyeon did.

He was tried. Tired from the rushed journey and running away. They were no longer anywhere near Seoul and were only travelling further and further away from his home.

But he couldn't cry nor could he resent Hakyeon from taking him away. Because this all happened when the members started to neglect the oldest and making fun of him.

Hyuk have always known that sooner or later, their jokes would get out of hand but he did not expect it to have this kind of outcome. It was terrifying to see Hakyeon acting as if nothing was wrong and smiling away like an ordinary person.

That's right, they were no longer idols or celebrities. They were just two boys on a journey and no one could recognize them.

"Tonight's going to be a feast!" Hakyeon said as the two of them walked back to their current hostel.

As days went by, Hyuk felt as if this 'journey' was normal. All he had was Hakyeon and he couldn't contact his friends or family.

He tried once to use the public telephone to call s and family so that they could come and pick him up. But he was caught by Hakyeon.

"Don't you even dare Han Sanghyuk," the older said in a terrifying voice.

Hyuk had no escape. He was bound to the older and was doomed to suffer in this inescapable journey. But can Hyuk really resent Hakyeon for what is happening to him though?

No, Hyuk could never resent or hate Hakyeon. Anyone but Hakyeon.

Despite the younger always laughing at Hakyeon or saying that he didn't want to be anywhere near the older, deep down inside, he respected Hakyeon as an older brother and leader of VIXX. Hyuk thought he has conveyed that messaged to Hakyeon many times already though...

Was it not enough? He thought as he tried to swallow the rice down. It was hard and he almost felt like throwing it up. What can I do to make up for everything that I've done? What can I do so that I can make it up to you hyung?

"What?" Hakyeon noticed the younger silently eating his food and secretly glancing at him.

"N-no... it's nothing."

Hakyeon could see that Hyuk was trying to hold back his tears. But he ignored it and continued to eat as if this was normal.

 

~

 

It was late at night and Hyuk had a hard time sleeping through his worries. He went out of the room for some fresh air because the room in which he shared with Hakyeon felt suffocating. The guilt and the worries were eating him up. He often had nightmares where he would find Hakyeon crying by himself and resenting him, repeating the words 'I hate you,' over and over again.

Hyuk was becoming afraid of falling asleep. Hakyeon's words of hate were too painful for the younger to endure. He hurt so much each time he recalls them.

He wanted to cry but he held back his tears many times. It wasn't because he was trying to be mature or because a man shouldn't cry but because he was in no position to be crying. If anyone should be crying, it would have been Hakyeon.

I'm sorry, Hyuk said as he felt the guilt stabbing through his chest night after night.

Just then, the door creaked open from behind him.

The younger turned around to see Hakyeon coming outside of the room.

"Hyung?" Hyuk noticed.

But the older did not reply.

He's sleepwalking again...

Hyuk have gotten used to Hakyeon's sleep talking and sleepwalking by now. He didn't know how to treat Hakyeon's illnesses and the only way he could think of treating it was to help Hakyeon become less stressed.

He watched as Hakyeon walked out of the room unconsciously and down the hallway. Hyuk followed the older in silence, making sure that the older didn't get hurt while he was sleepwalking.

This is all my fault, the younger couldn't help but think as he watched Hakyeon slowly walking in front of him. I'm sorry.

Just then, Hakyeon tripped on his own feet and stumbled. In an instance, Hyuk helped Hakyeon keep his balance and preventing the older from falling down.

"Hyung..." he grabbed tightly on the older's arms, hoping that the latter was safe from the possible fall.

Hakyeon did not respond and simply stood there.

"I'm sorry, hyung... it's my fault," Hyuk couldn't hold back his voice.

The unconscious Hakyeon turned to look at Hyuk. His eyes were lifeless and weak.

"Hyung?"

Then, the older's hands started to move. Slowly, Hakyeon's hands reached for the younger. He wrapped his hands around Hyuk's neck.

"H-hakyeon-hyung."

Hakyeon started to tighten his grip on the younger's neck, choking Hyuk in his sleep.

"S-stop hyung, please wake up," Hyuk was struggling to get out of the older's grasp. Was Hakyeon's hatred for him this strong?

Hyuk eventually lost his balance and fell onto the floor but Hakyeon continued to strangle him on top.

Hyung... do you really hate me this much to want to kill me even in your sleep? Hyuk was starting to lose his conscious as Hakyeon's grip grew tighter.

"I-I'm sorry, hyung," Hyuk tried to say as he slowly drifted away from his conscious.

That's when the older jolt. He heard the younger's distress and frightened voice.

As he came back to his conscious, Hakyeon saw the younger lying below him. His hands began to tremble as he realized where he was gripping.

"H-Hyuk?" Hakyeon's voice stuttered and his hands began to tremble, realizing what he almost did. "Why... what am I doing?"