Punishment

(ChaSang) Runaways

As Hakyeon had planned, they began to travel further south of the country. Hyuk decided to not question any further about the older’s strange actions but simply to watch what the older was planning to do.

They have gotten so far from Seoul at this point that Hyuk was no longer familiar with any of his surroundings. And like Hakyeon wanted, they were now surrounded by mountains and greenery.

“Did you know that that mountain is famous for hikes?” Hakyeon’s expression began to glow up as they got off their stop.

Hyuk shook his head silently. He's tired and confused.

He's really acting as if everything is normal and nothing is wrong… The younger thought to himself.

Hakyeon who was in charge of the main expenses for their getaway went to a cottage at the bottom of the mountain. They decided to stay at this location for another week.

When will we get back home? Or do you really plan on never going back? Hyuk could only watch as the receptionist handed a pair of keys to the older.

“Let's go,” Hakyeon gestured.

The cottage was small and decorated completely out of wood. The raw woody scent from the interior could be smelled and it really felt as if they were already in the middle of nature.

Hakyeon opened his door and dropped his bags at the entrance. He got excited to see the green right outside the balcony and opened the windows to smell the nature.

Hyuk wanted to enjoy the moment just like the older was but the worries and anxiety in his mind would not allow him to. It was impossible.

“Let's have a hike up to the summit tomorrow,” Hakyeon suggested.

“Aren't you tired?”

“Not one bit. Com’on let's hike it tomorrow, okay?”

The younger let out a sigh as all he could do was go along with whatever the older had in mind. Hyuk didn't think that saying 'no' could become so terrifying.

 

~

 

That night as Hyuk was sleeping tiredly in his bed, he heard the front door click open.

He can hear someone going out of the room. Was it Hakyeon?

He turned over to see that the older was not in his bed and became worried as to where Hakyeon was going.

Hyuk became anxious as the older was out of his sight and got up to follow.

He took his jacket with him and walked around in haste throughout the cottage in search for Hakyeon. Just then, in the midst of the darkness and fog, he saw the older walking up the hiking trail.

Is he in his pajamas? Hyuk squinted his eyes to make sure that what he saw was not a hallucination.

Hyuk decided to follow the older’s silhouette as he disappeared up the trail. He became worried and his heart beat in fear.

What is he thinking?

The younger ran faster and faster up the steps to find Hakyeon. Eventually he came to an intersection that divided the paths.

Where did he go?

Hyuk took a deep breath and tried to remain calm. He chose a path out of instincts and followed it. Eventually he came across a bridge.

It was so high up that it made Hyuk tremble in anxiety just looking at how far the bottom was from where he was standing. He wanted to turn back but just then, as the fog dispersed a bit, he saw a silhouette in standing there in the middle of the bridge.

“H-hyung?” Hyuk couldn’t hold back his voice from trembling.

It can’t be right?

He of all people would know that Hakyeon had a fear of heights, especially when it was this high up from the ground. He wanted to approach and make sure but at the same time, the height made him feel nauseous.

“Hakyeon-hyung? What are you doing over there?” Hyuk decided to shout from the distance since his feet wouldn’t allow him to move any further.

But it seems as if the older did not hear his voice.

“Hyung?”

Hakyeon simply stood there in his pajamas and looking out into the far distance.

Can he not hear me? It took a lot of courage for Hyuk to step forward.

Rather than worrying about the height, he was now more worried about the older who seemed so unresponsive. He took a step forward and each step he took, he breathed deeply and trying his hardest to remain calm. He made sure that he had a tight grip on the railings and carefully walked towards Hakyeon.

“Hakyeon-hyung,” he called out once more hoping that the older would finally take notice of him.

But that was not the case at all. Hakyeon simply stood there and staring into the distance, unable to hear anything or notice that the younger was walking near him. As Hyuk finally reached for Hakyeon, the younger realized that something was wrong with the older.

The younger turned Hakyeon around and noticed the older’s expression to be rather lifeless. As if, he wasn’t conscious at all of what was going on or even where he was at.

“Hyung?”

No response.

Is he… sleep walking? Hyuk finally noticed.

He waves his hands in front of Hakyeon’s face to see if Hakyeon would wake up but the older did not. Hyuk knew that he should not wake up someone who was sleep walking since it may make them lose themselves in their slumber. But he could tell just how cold the older was getting. Hakyeon was only wearing a thin layer of his pajamas and nothing more. Hyuk took Hakyeon’s hands and tried to warm it up with his. He placed his jacket over Hakyeon’s shoulders and rubbed the older’s body in order to make sure the older wasn’t cold anymore.

Hyuk didn’t know what to do nor why Hakyeon came up to this bridge in the midst of his sleep walking but all he knew was that he was relief that nothing bad actually happened. He pulled the unconscious Hakyeon in his arms and hugged him warmly.

He thought he heard Hakyeon mumble something but he wasn’t quite sure what it was. Luckily, moments later, Hakyeon eventually fell back to sleep on Hyuk’s shoulders.

 

~


That night was only the beginning of Hakyeon’s sleep walking. Even his sleep talking from before came back and it was becoming quite severe. Knowing the older, Hyuk knew that Hakyeon must been under a lot of stress and holding them in by himself since that was why he had sleep talking habits since before. Yet, Hakyeon had no idea that he was doing these things again and he would forget everything that happens whenever he was asleep.

Hyuk didn’t know what to do about the older’s syndromes. He wanted to tell Hakyeon about it but he wasn’t sure if the older could handle such a shock since everyone thought Hakyeon was cured already. But what Hyuk didn’t understand was how Hakyeon developed such habits again. He thought the older was a lot more calm and relaxed now that the group gained more fans and popularity. But after witnessing several nights of Hakyeon sleep walking, it became clear that Hakyeon was still suffering on his own.

The younger sat across the table for breakfast with Hakyeon and couldn’t take his eyes off the older since he was worried. Though Hakyeon wasn’t aware of his sleepless nights, it was obvious that the older was forming very visible eye bags underneath.

“What?” Hakyeon caught the younger staring.

“It’s nothing. You just look tired,” Hyuk said.

“You’re just as worst as I am.”

It’s true. Hyuk’s restlessness was just as bad as Hakyeon’s since he couldn’t stop worrying about where the older might disappear off to while he was asleep. If he didn’t pay more attention to the older, Hakyeon might really disappear by the time he wakes up. That was what Hyuk was most afraid of at this moment.

After breakfast, Hyuk went back to his room to change into a new set of clean clothes while Hakyeon waited for him outside. The two of them were going to walk up the mountain trails since they have yet to explore the mountains. Of course, Hyuk have already gone up there and so did the older, except he was sleepwalking at the time.

“Hyung, I’m re-“

Hyuk noticed Hakyeon was looking at the computer in the guest lobby of the cottage. Hyuk thought that the older wasn’t interested in the Internet or the computer any more but it seems that was not the case. He approached slowly behind the older to see what Hakyeon was browsing on the computer.

It was a fan forum for their group.

In that instance, Hyuk realized what might be one of the causes to Hakyeon’s desperation to escape. This is not the first time after all. In fact, it’s happened several times where Hakyeon joked about wanting to run away. It was all because of the negative comments from their anti-fans and netizens from the Internet.

Just how many times have I told him not to look at those things? Hyuk wanted to take Hakyeon away from the computer immediately.

But he noticed a deep sigh from the older rather than an upset expression like the usual.

Hakyeon finally turned off the computer and just as he turned around, he was shocked to see the younger standing right behind him.

“Since when?” Hyuk asked in a strict and demanding tone.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Hakyeon tried to hide his expression of shock from being caught by Hyuk. 

“Don’t you lie to me hyung. I saw you browsing through those comments just now. Since when did you start looking at them again?”

“It’s none of your business.”

“None of my business?! Have you forgotten how many times you had to take a stress relief break because you couldn’t stop paying attention to what those people say about you and our group? Is that why you wanted to run away? Do you really think running away is going to solve everything?!” Hyuk lashed out at the older in anger.

“That’s not it. They aren’t the reason.”

“Then what is it huh? Why are you running away? Why now?!”

Hakyeon got up from his seat and sighed.

“They aren’t the reason. They’re only half of it.”

“What?”

“Look, I’m sick and tired of being an idol. I’m tired of hearing their complaints without thinking about what I have to go through everyday. They think I’m some sort of robot that will do as they command and forget that I’m human too! But I’m used to their stupidity already. True it hurts from time to time but that’s not all. I’m sick of all of you guys too!” Hakyeon shouted.

“U-us?” Hyuk jolted.

“Yes you! You and the rest!”

“What are you saying? What did we do?”

“A lot of things. You guys tease me, outcast me and always joking around about me as a person. I’m human okay? I have feelings too and it hurts when you say those things about me.”

The younger swallowed in guilt.

“Hyung… I-I’m sorry. We really don't mean it."

“Save it.”

“But I don’t get it. If you’re so sick of me and the rest, why did you tell me to run away with you? Why not escape by yourself?” Hyuk pulled Hakyeon’s arms tightly for an answer.

“I did think about leaving you guys on my own. But you know what? Why must I suffer alone when you guys are the ones that are making me feel this miserable? If I have to suffer from all you guys then I rather drag one of you with me as well. Didn’t I tell you already? I only brought you here with me out of convenience. Even if it wasn’t you, I would have brought any of the others out here. You just so happened to get caught by me,” Hakyeon flung Hyuk’s hands away and smirked.

This Hakyeon felt so evil and dark in Hyuk’s eyes that he didn’t know what to do or say anymore.

Everything the older said was true and it made Hyuk think he really deserve this type of treatment after all.

Hyuk felt so powerless as he realized that the one who made Hakyeon want to run away was actually him. If so, than does Hyuk even have the right to try and bring the older back to Seoul or back with the group? And if he really did cause Hakyeon to suffer so much, then it was only right for him to be punished…

 

 

A/N: Why am I so angsty? Honestly this kind of plot is nothing new in fanfic world, I know. But I really want to write this okay? Please let me...

Also, this is the Daedunsan that I used as reference for this chapter. It's a pretty well known tourist spot in South Korea but I didn't use the place completely for the reference. I just really got inspired by the image. 

As for the previous chapter where both Hakyeon and Hyuk was in the farmlands, this is the image I used as reference:

I'm not really sure where this is in South Korea but the image was really beautiful and I was just inspired by it.