Convenient

(ChaSang) Runaways

Hyuk sat on the bus next to Hakyeon as they travelled further and further away from Seoul. Strangely enough, he wasn't scared of what was going on except he simply worried about what might happen later on.

He knows how insane it was for him to agree to running away from Seoul with Hakyeon since not only will he worry his parents and the other members, but also his fans and everyone who cares for him. Maybe not him specifically but Hakyeon would have way more people that would worry about him than Sanghyuk.

The younger could not read what was going on in Hakyeon's mind when he suddenly proposed something so outrageous. But Hyuk knew that it was better to follow than to ignore.

He sat there and stared outside of the window to see the landscape changing from large cityscapes to rural farmlands and empty fields. The younger glanced at his side to see that Hakyeon was simply sleeping on his shoulders without a care about where the bus might take them. At first, Hyuk really thought that Hakyeon was joking around or sleep talking about running away but as soon as the younger told Hakyeon that he would disappear with him, the older didn't waste a minute to get ready.

Not only did Hakyeon force Hyuk to cut his phone and leave it behind but they also withdrew most of their money from the bank and left their credit cards behind as well. It was all so that they wouldn't be tracked while they made their escape. Hyuk wanted to bid his parents farewell or leave them a message before they left Seoul but Hakyeon was strict and forbid Hyuk from contacting anyone that would know about them.

"I'll leave you behind if you dare," Hakyeon threatened the younger.

Hyuk could not fight back nor was he able to convince the older to not runaway. Hakyeon has always loved Hyuk and s, but to suddenly run away like this... it was not what the younger had expected at all. What exactly was going on inside of Hakyeon's head for him to take such extreme measures to 'disappear'?

After the long bus ride, they finally came to a stop. Hakyeon simply told the bus driver to drop them off in the middle without caring where they were stopping at. Hyuk picked up their luggage and backpack to follow wherever Hakyeon was planning on walking towards.

They were surrounded by greenery and fields of farm. It was totally different from the city life that Hyuk was used to. The members of VIXX all grew up in large cities that the sudden change in scenery made Hyuk quite terrified about adjusting to the nothingness.

"Let's go," Hakyeon gestured the younger to follow.

The two of them went through the village and Hakyeon saw a small office building as they walked closer to the center of the place. He entered the office building and greeted the workers there.

"We're here on a small trip and would like to ask for a temporary accommodation. We can help out with the village and farms as long as we have a place to stay," Hakyeon told them.

After further discussion and Hyuk simply watching on the side, the two finally settled down in a small room next to the farms. They ended up living in the empty room of an old lady who attended the harvest and farms of the village.

Hakyeon looked as if he had already fit into the lifestyle of being in such a rural area. After settling down their luggage and belongings, he got changed into more common clothes and ready to work in the fields. Neither of them told the villagers who they were and why they were truly there and luckily, no one in the village knew about them either.

It was exactly what Hakyeon wanted.

What is going on inside that head of yours hyung? Hyuk was desperate to ask but afraid to.

After a long day in the fields, the two of them returned to their room. Hakyeon flopped onto the floor and laid there to stretch his back.

"That was fun," he said.

Fun? How can that be fun for you when you're so used to the relaxing city life? Hyuk doubted the older very much.

"Really?" Hyuk could only ask.

"Yeah. So, what should we make for diner? The granny gave us some vegetables right?"

Hyuk nodded.

"Let's make dinner," the older smiled nonchalantly.

 

~

 

Hyuk really thought that their running away mission was only temporary. He really thought that Hakyeon was going to run away for one or two days in order to frighten the members back in Seoul. But that was not the case at all.

It's been a week since they've disappeared and Hyuk had no access to what was happening back home. There was no television or the internet nor does it seem like the villagers know anything about the bigger cities. They minded their own businesses and simply attended to their farms as a living.

Hakyeon seems as if he's already gotten used to being on the farms and tanning under the sun. The older who usually hated being under the sun was out in the fields everyday without worrying how much darker he has gotten. Even Hyuk got a bit tanner from helping out in the fields too.

When will we go home? Hyuk wondered.

There was so many things that Hyuk desperately wanted to ask the older but each time he opened his mouth to do so, he became unconsciously frightened about the answer that Hakyeon might give him. He wanted to know why yet he was afraid to know the reasons after all. Would it be better to just shut up and watch?

"So, where should we head off to next?" Hakyeon lay on the floor on his stomach while reading a brochure from the office building.

"Next?" Hyuk asked.

"We've been here for a week now, so we should start travelling to the next place. We can't impose on these people for too long after all," Hakyeon reminded the younger.

"Do you have anywhere in mind?"

"Nope. But the further we get away from Seoul, the better."

Hyuk could sense that Hakyeon really meant what he said. The older didn't want to have anything to do with the main city and he hasn't mentioned anything about the other members or missing his family at all the entire week since they left. Even Hyuk wanted to reminisce about the people back home from time to time.

"I know! Let's go down south. I hear there's a lot of pretty landscapes and mountains further down," Hakyeon suggested.

"Hyung," Hyuk couldn't hold back his curiosity anymore.

"Hmm?" Hakyeon turned his full attention onto the younger.

"Why me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you choose me to runaway with you? What about the others?"

Hakyeon put down his brochure but averted his gaze from Hyuk.

"It's because it was convenient," he said in an uncaring tone.

"W-what?" Hyuk was shocked.

"Both Jaehwan and Taekwoon are busy with their musicals. Hongbin just got a new script for a drama and Wonshik is working on his next solo album. You were the only one free at the time, so I asked you."

"How could you say that? You asked me to run away with you just because I was free and convenient?"

"Yeah. What's the problem with that?"

Hakyeon obviously doesn't realize how annoyed Hyuk was becoming.

"So if I didn't agree to run away with you, what would you have done?" Hyuk tried to remain calm.

"Then I would have left by myself. Whether I have you or not, I would have left Seoul anyways. "

It wasn't because Hakyeon cared about Hyuk or saw the younger as someone special but he simply chose to run away while Hyuk conveniently followed him behind.

Hyuk clenched his fist in frustration, almost wanting to punch Hakyeon in the face. He's already held back so much since running away and the younger have been anxious about not being able to reach home. He bit his lips, trying to hold back from saying anything hurtful towards the older but he was at the edge of his patience.

Hakyeon glanced at the silent and irritated Hyuk. He sighed and got up finally.

"Look, if you don't want to run away with me, go back to Seoul by yourself. I don't care if you follow or not but just know this, don't think about reaching out to me once you go back because I won't be coming back," Hakyeon said.

Just those words made Hyuk tremble as he came to realize that what might be even more terrifying isn't the fact that he wouldn't be able to reach his friends or family but the fact that Hakyeon would disappear without a trace.

As irritated as Hyuk was about Hakyeon's attitude, he was more afraid that the moment he let the older out of his sight, the older will disappear in to a place where no one could find him.